Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Towel? What?
Solid State Squad Forums > Pop'n Music > Line Times
HikaTen
I keep seeing people referring to using a towel for something or other when they're discussing ways of playing PNM... but as I've not yet had a chance to play on a CS version (or much chance to hit an AC version, for that matter), I keep seeing this and having no clue what it means. Anyone care to enlighten me, please?
Thunderbird
What they're talking about is using a towel to obscure part of the screen. Think of it as a variable Sudden smile.gif.
HikaTen
Ah, OK... I suppose that makes a certain amount of sense... So is that intended to ramp up the difficulty, or does it have some other effect that's not as obvious?
Thunderbird
Supposedly it makes it easier to read notes. Especially at slower BPMs.

But I've never used a towel, so I wouldn't know.
chotto kiitena
It makes reading notes easier (for instance, the last part of 10's Study Land I failed like twice in a row due to the slow speed then I covered up most of the screen and passed) and it also makes the timing much easier on slow songs. I can score much higher with a towel on particularly slow songs than without, particularly if there's a lack of speed mods high enough.
kappaiidx
If you want to see what Towel does, look at my score on Miracle Hyper. It starts at 105 BPM I believe, as soon as that part is over, I throw the towel off the screen because it speeds up to 210 and then goes to 420 after. Towel mainly helps you read slower songs and have better timing. If you normally read at high speeds, it is definitely necessary on mixes that do not have x6 or x8.
HikaTen
OK, so then I have to ask, how are you attaching the towel to the screen? my TV doesn't exactly have clips attached to the sides or anything...
Jadin
usually people just drape the towel over it so that the weight of the towel on top or behind the tv will counterbalance the weight of the towel in front of the tv.
myself, I don't use a towel. I use a thick piece of paper (two-page) that i have folded in places, so it's like i have preset lenghts of paper that I use depending on the bpm.
kinda hard to explain.
HikaTen
Aah, I think I got what you're talking about. Makes a bit more sense now, at least. I imagine it will all be made clear once my copy of PNM10 finally shows.
kappaiidx
I think Pop'n 10's Hi-Speed settings are a little faster than older games. HS4 seems way faster, and 6 is incredibly quick, I have to back away from the TV around 135 now, and on 9 I can use HS6 up to 168 BPM. Anyone else have this problem?
~Amadeus~
yes, just by watching my brother (KYLE) play it's definitely faster on 10.
Random
The point of the towel is to increase your responsiveness to the pop-kun's - you see it, immediately go for it, and with the towel in the right place, you can have it fine-tuned as to where you'll have perfect reactions every time. It's nice. I didn't realize what it did until I first started trying to clear Radio EX.

My towel is a piece of cardboard duct-taped to my TV. happy.gif
chotto kiitena
Man, now that I got 8 I'm barely without the thing. Anything less than 170 BPM (which is fairly common) is now towel all the way for me.
kappaiidx
Ojama HS6 for anything at 130 or under. biggrin.gif Anything 100 or under = HS8
chotto kiitena
I tried that, but it's too hard to see with the DANGER!! background in the way.
Random
That's why I started using the towel. It's funny how logical songs like J-R&B3 EX and Reggae Hyper become when toweled far enough.

And also funny how Glam Rock EX still makes no sense.
catchyphraseowen
...How the hell can you towel Des-Reggae? Isn't the fast part impossible?
chotto kiitena
You can just quickly yank off the towel at that point (or tie a string to your shoe tongue.gif). That's what I do for Miracle.
kappaiidx
Miracle I can reach over and pull the towel off the screen, but Des-Reggae, ugh, on the EX you have NO TIME to remove the towel, so I'll have to try the shoelace thingy. biggrin.gif
catchyphraseowen
So I passed Des-Reggae EX, but my score is 84K sleep.gif. And the shoelace thing doesn't work. I dunno, it's funny how I'm #6 of 14 on the score thing but I'm 1 of 3 on there who can clear it sleep.gif.
bapple cider vinegar
More like string tied to toe. Who wears shooooes when they play in the house?

It seems to me like NO ONE uses towel on this game, according to modifier icons. Kinda made me question life, but 2 seconds later I never considered anything and continued with my towelling rage.

180 is about max for me on 11 for HS4, though actually there it's probably a little detrimental, so there's no reason to have that if you...don't want detrimentalities.
cubesquared
I found out late about towelling and even later about the icon XD (though I retconned all my towel scores). For the most part I don't think towelling is terribly necessary for most songs in the game, especially starting 9. The only ones I really used them for were 7's Sana Mollete and 8's Rings on the Water, and a few songs here and there before I unlocked higher speed mods in the newer games. Someone mentioned de-towelling halfway through Miracle, but I don't have those ninja-like reflexes and my TV's sorta far away ^^

- cube
matt4596
i am toweling EVERYTHING on pop'n 7. everything is so slow on that mix. sad.gif
SirSlarty
QUOTE(matt4596 @ Aug 23 2005, 09:17 AM)
i am toweling EVERYTHING on pop'n 7. everything is so slow on that mix. sad.gif
catchyphraseowen
Everything on 8 needs HS4 and some serious towel, too. Towel is also good for 9 (anything 165-220 with HS4) and 10 (anything 140-175ish with HS4) but less so on 11 since the speed mods are really good.

And after looking at my post on the first page, I realized this topic is pretttty old laugh.gif .
tomokosasaki
towel isn't nessecary for me at all.
And, if people didn't use the speed mods in the first place, they'd be able to read slow/bunched up popkuns, you know?smile.gif
catchyphraseowen
Easier said than done. I haven't played around with it too much, but there are songs that I've 100K'd that I would fail without speed mods (Mixture Hyper would be the best example).

You can learn to play without them, but it isn't easy at all.
chotto kiitena
QUOTE(Oddity @ Aug 23 2005, 12:05 AM)
It seems to me like NO ONE uses towel on this game, according to modifier icons. Kinda made me question life, but 2 seconds later I never considered anything and continued with my towelling rage.

180 is about max for me on 11 for HS4, though actually there it's probably a little detrimental, so there's no reason to have that if you...don't want detrimentalities.

The towel icon was added late and seemingly like nobody bothers to set it other than me. I don't know why, because I'm pretty sure that many people do use towel.

I do about the same for speeds on 11. I score crap on UK Hit Chart (185 BPM) on 3x, but on 4x it makes the rapid chords on the hyper a bit hard to read. I usually go 4x anyway however.
SirSlarty
I started seriously using towel the other day because I was getting angry at Glam Rock EX. And now I have 90k+ on it.

I've been using towel for everything under 150 bpm on pop'n 8 and 7. Sometimes 9. Pop'n 9 has 6x which is use for 160 bpm and lower.

Towel is awesome and I used to be one of those players who thought towel was "bad".
tomokosasaki
How come i never see people in japan using towel?
chotto kiitena
At the arcade? I don't ever use towel at the arcade, it feels like too much of a hassle to bring one with me and hang it over the machine. I have seen some videos of Japanese people playing IIDX/PnM with towel tho.
catchyphraseowen
You will never, ever see anyone at a Japanese arcade using a towel because there is no place to hang it.

The reason why you can sorta use one on AI's machine is that there are clips attached right above the monitor to hang one from. It is possible there's another machine like it, and one could attach clips to any machine, but I have never heard of this being done anywhere else.

I'm sure they use them at home, though.
chotto kiitena
QUOTE(catchyphraseowen @ Aug 26 2005, 01:51 PM)
You will never, ever see anyone at a Japanese arcade using a towel because there is no place to hang it.

In HELL's Anthem Trance EX video he has a piece of paper taped to the screen XD
catchyphraseowen
What does he get ohmy.gif?
Dewgy
I'm also pretty sure there was a towel involved in the Max300 IIDX video on Bemanistyle, though I don't remember who it was since I deleted it a while back to free up disk space. tongue.gif
chotto kiitena
QUOTE(catchyphraseowen @ Aug 27 2005, 02:03 AM)
What does he get ohmy.gif?

97977 points, 945/22/5
catchyphraseowen
QUOTE(Dewgy @ Aug 27 2005, 03:39 AM)
I'm also pretty sure there was a towel involved in the Max300 IIDX video on Bemanistyle, though I don't remember who it was since I deleted it a while back to free up disk space. tongue.gif

You can towel AC IIDX no problem; it's the Pop'n that is hard to do.

And that's kinda a low score on it considering he's like #1 in the world o_O... I am not too much lower...
chotto kiitena
QUOTE(catchyphraseowen @ Aug 27 2005, 04:22 PM)
And that's kinda a low score on it considering he's like #1 in the world o_O... I am not too much lower...

It's probably an old video considering it's from 10AC (which also didn't have 5x). And I think he's much better at easier songs, sort of like me x 10,000.

I have a bunch of other videos from him where he plays much easier songs and gets pretty crazy scores on them, like 99K Cosmic Hyper. In an expert course. (10 greats)
craz[A-V]
I only can play in an aracde so no towel for me, Anti-towel 4life!
shinigami_2057
' date='Sep 19 2005, 02:45 PM' post='33121']I only can play in an aracde so no towel for me, Anti-towel 4life!

Dude, we have Happy Sky, you don't need a towel anyway. haha
cubesquared
o_O What does Happy Sky have to do with towelling...?

- cube
chotto kiitena
Sudden+.
tomokosasaki
towel is nasty.

ner biggrin.gif
cubesquared
QUOTE(cubesquared @ Aug 23 2005, 01:41 AM) *
I don't think towelling is terribly necessary for most songs in the game, especially starting 9. The only ones I really used them for were 7's Sana Mollete and 8's Rings on the Water

I officially take that this statement. UGH, how the hell did I ever play this game on 2x (oh yeah, that was before I had my ASC and I was playing 5line XD)? Such ridiculously assy speeds. I'm still not totally confident in towel usage at the moment, but by the gods those games are -slow-.

- cube
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.