Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: S3 Speedrun Competition
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Mazrim
So, other speedruns. I'm practicing Super Metroid, and after this current run I'm gonna pop in DKC2. In the old days I was able to smoke through DKC2 so we'll see how that goes.

I'm at 1:00 on the dot after killing Ridley and getting to the nearest save point on Super Metroid. I lost quite a bit of time screwing around in Maridia, so I know I can do better than that. I'll be hard pressed to finish the game in 1:15-1:20 now.
rmz
QUOTE (Mazrim @ Nov 5 2010, 01:25 PM) *
So, other speedruns. I'm practicing Super Metroid, and after this current run I'm gonna pop in DKC2. In the old days I was able to smoke through DKC2 so we'll see how that goes.

Just going for a regular clear, or max%?

Either way, the thought of the one or two devil levels (Toxic Tower and maybe that one with the bees I think?) while being concerned about time would probably make me have a nervous breakdown.
sir nabsalot
If y'all like speed running, y'all need to play some Super Meat Boy. It is actually designed for speed running, and if you mess up, the levels are mercifully short :> Only $10 for a real short while!
Schala
QUOTE (sir nabsalot @ Nov 5 2010, 03:46 PM) *
If y'all like speed running, y'all need to play some Super Meat Boy. It is actually designed for speed running, and if you mess up, the levels are mercifully short :> Only $10 for a real short while!

Gotta wait for the Wii version, but maybe!

Anyway as Mazrim said, we're turning this into a general speedrun thread and adding some games that multiple people have interest in, such as SM and DKC2. grayfox doesn't want them added all at once though, so it may be a week or two between games to encourage people to actually practice them.
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Marlie Tang @ Nov 5 2010, 03:09 PM) *
Gotta wait for the Wii version, but maybe!

Anyway as Mazrim said, we're turning this into a general speedrun thread and adding some games that multiple people have interest in, such as SM and DKC2. grayfox doesn't want them added all at once though, so it may be a week or two between games to encourage people to actually practice them.

I'd be okay with adding them all I guess, but I'd love like "PLAN FOR A RUN ON 11/12" or something, a week in advance, so then everybody's practicing the same game around the same time. But depending on how you wanted to do it, people could post times at any time? If that makes sense.
Schala
OP updated. Oh boy DKC2/ALttP/SMRPG/SM!
cyghfer
hi s3 :)
Theoretically Gay
Hi cyghfer smile.gif

I also like how you join and Schala removes "Casual" from the thread title
Jadin
hi cyghhhhfr!
Jadin
I might do funrun of dkc2 tonight :>
cyghfer
hi xenogenesis hi jadin!

actually i'm gonna play through some dkc2 myself tonight before more smrpg attempts. going to stream hopefully around 1-1:30ish!
grayfox9996
Hello cyghfer! What time zone for 1-1:30ish?

Oh wait I'll probably be linked to it anyway who am I kidding
Jadin
well I'm going to stream first try of dkc2 :>
http://ustream.tv/channel/apparently-games

going for uhhh 2 hours? idk haha
Jadin
dkc2 physics are grose I'm goin to bed
Jadin
QUOTE (sir nabsalot @ Nov 5 2010, 02:46 PM) *

ew

if you buy it for me I'll try to beat your times <3
sir nabsalot
QUOTE (Jadin @ Nov 6 2010, 01:23 AM) *
ew

if you buy it for me I'll try to beat your times <3

oh DEAL. That's easy. I'll pay you back in Dr Pepper BBQ sauce next time I'm in Wyoming :>

..and good luck! I just broke into the top 30 :buttons:
m335h73r
I currently hold the world record for speed running all of the Commander Keen games on hard with no kills.

I say that because no one else in the world speedruns Commander Keen.
Jadin
I love commander keen 2/3 you should stream or upload it somewhere :>
m335h73r
I can probably do something like that when I get a decent enough rig at home.

I'd rather speedrun like anything other than 2 and 3 because 2 is really fucking easy to beat really fast and 3 has fucking mortimer mcmire.

maybe I'll do a 100% run of 1 to get things started.
Jadin
maybe if your IQ wasn't so high he wouldn't be pissed off
Mazrim
Super Metroid Any% - 1:19 (50%)

Definitely can do better! Will try again after DKC2 smile.gif
Theoretically Gay
Super Metroid Any% - 0:FuckOffPhantoon

fucking hardest boss in any game I've ever played :\
Mazrim
Oh yeah, is anyone interested in Super Mario World? 100% since the real speed run is kinda short. Both the girlfriend and I enjoy SMW a bunch and she wouldn't mind getting in on some speed runs as well.
Schala
QUOTE (Mazrim @ Nov 7 2010, 09:18 PM) *
Oh yeah, is anyone interested in Super Mario World? 100% since the real speed run is kinda short. Both the girlfriend and I enjoy SMW a bunch and she wouldn't mind getting in on some speed runs as well.

I'd personally rather devote that energy to DKC2, but whatever if enough people want it. SMW 100% is also longer than everything else on the list right now besides SMRPG (obviously). :<
Theoretically Gay
Its a fun game and all but 1.5 or whatever hours of "lolcape" will probably get old fast :\
Mazrim
True enough. Maybe later then.

I'm working on DKC2 right now and it's obvious I haven't played the game in a fast way for a long time (last few plays were 102% runs). Currently at 0:35 and the first roller coaster level. And I've died, a lot. This one is gonna require a lot more effort than Super Metroid.

EDIT: I didn't use warp barrels this run but is it safe to assume they are allowed? I'm going to have to look them up.
Jadin
yeah I was only like 2/3rds through with the game after two hours and dying :<

edit: yeah definitely use warp barrels :>
m335h73r
2 people have beaten my CK3 record by like 45 seconds. I am not happy.
grayfox9996
Oh no my new SM time (1:01) wasn't updated. 50% (aka way too much), but decent practice run. I WILL break 1:00 soon enough.
Mazrim
DKC2 Any% - 1:31 (50%)

I didn't see anything explaining how to count the time after Screech's Sprint, since they don't tell you your time after you finish the game...so I turned on my stopwatch for K.Rool and added 3 minutes to my save time.

Definitely a lot of dying in this one, I know I can drop it by a lot...will try again soon. smile.gif
Jadin
when you beat the game you can look at your save file and it has the final time

I think?
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Mazrim @ Nov 11 2010, 08:41 PM) *
DKC2 Any% - 1:31 (50%)

I didn't see anything explaining how to count the time after Screech's Sprint, since they don't tell you your time after you finish the game...so I turned on my stopwatch for K.Rool and added 3 minutes to my save time.

Definitely a lot of dying in this one, I know I can drop it by a lot...will try again soon. smile.gif

Is that single segment? At least I know this game won't be any longer than SM once I get it down.
Mazrim
Hah, no. I saved and left it a couple days and came back. I saved before some annoying levels or sections of levels.

The game only counts time when you're in a level.

QUOTE (Jadin @ Nov 11 2010, 08:46 PM) *
when you beat the game you can look at your save file and it has the final time

I think?

Well that's what I get for not paying attention to my time before doing K.Rool lol. It's 1:27 on the save file right now.
Mazrim
Here's some notes for those of you running DKC2 like me (ie. not insane SDA world record holders). I'm bored which is why I'm bothering to type this.

In my last run, I did the following wrong that stand out:
- I didn't do a true single segment. I doubt anyone cares since my time wasn't special but I didn't have a few hours straight to sit down. (My Super Metroid run is the same) I will try again this weekend and actually do the whole thing in one go. For DKC2, I saved at the halfway point of the game and came back to it last night. You're welcome to take my times off for now if you want to make sure they're all actual single segment runs, Schala.
- I didn't use warp barrels. This will speed me up by about 5 minutes at least.
- I didn't use the speed booster on Rickety Race (go backwards at the beggining of the race). I died too much jumping too early at the high speed, so I just did it normally and didn't die at all. I might practice this one, as I used to be able to do it flawlessly. You can save maybe more than 30 seconds on this level by using the speed booster.
- If there's one place I could really save time, it would be in boss fights. I died twice on Kleaver, three times on Ghost Necky, and once on K.Rool.
- I need to relearn how to move around in honey. I did absolutely terrible in every hive level.

Big time savers from doing things well:
- Any level with Squawks I blew away. If you know how to really control him it's incredible how fast you can move. Let yourself sit on the brambles on the bottom, you won't get hurt. Hold down while flapping to hover better. Memory thing but fire before you see the enemies, especially on Screech's Sprint.
- Didn't die on Web Woods, Toxic Tower and Screech's Sprint, in my opinion the three toughest non-Lost World levels. Also, I finished Toxic Tower faster than I ever have, which is a big plus. I was so happy when I finished that level!

Since I'm really terrible at Mockball, I will probably concentrate on DKC2 for the next while.
sir nabsalot
I wouldn't mind a playthrough of dkc2 after all these years, and being able to whip through super samus world in a fucking half hour also has its appeal :> WE'LL SEE

IN SMB NEWS jadin beat almost all my world 1 times the first damn day he played, including dark world. That is somewhat unnerving; I got those times after like 3 weeks hahaha. Nice to have the competition!

See one thing I like about the speed runs in meat boy is that the longest levels in the game are still less than a minute long. I would die IRL if I had to repeatedly restart a run of some game that took like hours
grayfox9996
QUOTE (sir nabsalot @ Nov 12 2010, 03:42 PM) *
being able to whip through super samus world in a fucking half hour also has its appeal

In-game timer is up to 20 minutes or so faster than actual playtime. The fastest TAS is somewhere around 27 minutes or something, realtime?
sir nabsalot
QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ Nov 12 2010, 03:47 PM) *
In-game timer is up to 20 minutes or so faster than actual playtime. The fastest TAS is somewhere around 27 minutes or something, realtime?

haha wtf

Going through world 1 in meat boy and trying really hard to beat hood's scores. So far so good, except for one level where you're beating me by 3 hundredths of a second and I can't for the life of me shave off that much looool. Also delighted to find my score of 5.93 on 1-15 is only a dozen or so places behind CHICKENSTACK's score of 0.00, incidentally the SLOWEST 0.00 run in the whole world
Eggman of the Strata
Do I still have any scores left above anyone? Probably not.
SEXYSEXYCHEVY
QUOTE (sir nabsalot @ Nov 12 2010, 06:54 PM) *
Also delighted to find my score of 5.93 on 1-15 is only a dozen or so places behind CHICKENSTACK's score of 0.00, incidentally the SLOWEST 0.00 run in the whole world

I DIDN'T MEAN TO IT'S MY ONLY 0.0 SCORE I PROMISE OH GOD

also I went through light world 5 improving times today so that's nice

also I got the 100% achievement even though I only have like 60 bandages HEH
Jadin
oh yeah I gotta add chknsnack to my new xbox thing
Jadin
oh sheesh my old name doesn't have it either CHKN what's your xboxbook profile name
SEXYSEXYCHEVY
QUOTE (Jadin @ Nov 12 2010, 09:13 PM) *
oh sheesh my old name doesn't have it either CHKN what's your xboxbook profile name

CHICKENSNACK ya dumb crumb
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Jadin @ Nov 12 2010, 10:13 PM) *

QUOTE (rmz @ Sep 25 2007, 05:55 PM) *
chickensnack
Xbox Live: chickensnack
Jadin
man I'm just askin questions I ain't gotta take your crap! ! ! ! !!!!
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Jadin @ Nov 12 2010, 11:28 PM) *
man I'm just askin questions I ain't gotta take your crap! ! ! ! !!!!

BOOM the niggas in green!

I will probably do another run tomorrow night! We'll see if I can stick to that. It might be during the day instead WHO KNOWS
Jadin
I was wondering why I was #987 on 2-10 but then I noticed that there were 943 0.00 scores
Eggman of the Strata
So it's just like every other leaderboard that's online. I should check my score on Elevation on Bionic Commando:Rearmed. I was #1 like a month after the game came out and I was really really far ahead of everyone else. I'm guessing I'm like #870 now.

Who wants to speed run BCR Super Hard.
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Nov 13 2010, 12:23 AM) *
Who wants to speed run BCR Super Hard.

It's too unreasonable. :<
Jadin
you guys neeed to play the butcher boy levels under the internets again
ohh man so good
I got 17:30 on I-20
Axem Rangers
speedrunning in the 90's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.