Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movie Thread
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Akur0
so dark knight was the best thing I've seen in ages, even though the movie was awesome enough for it's own thread I figure this idea was coming for quite some time.

discuss
Toph
DaShizWiz vs. Mew2king at FAST1 are a pretty good set of movies.
Axem Rangers
I just watched Stalker.

The cinematography was pretty breathtaking and delicate but outside of that I'm not sure if I really "got it."

Dark Night is wonderful, between it and Speed Racer this has been a pretty good year for big budget domestic stuff.
Akur0
so does anyone else think heath ledger deserves an oscar? I loved how the guy made my skin crawl in one scene only to have me laugh my ass off about five seconds later.

I'm going to make this pencil, disapeaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Axem Rangers
of course he does

the supporting cast in that movie was just great, Joker, Dent, Gordon
Little Miss Prissy
QUOTE(Akur0 @ Jul 28 2008, 04:39 PM) *
so does anyone else think heath ledger deserves an oscar?

definitely

you can really tell heath ledger put everything into that character
Darighaz
He put his life into it.

Too soon?
Deets
QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Jul 28 2008, 04:02 PM) *
Dark Night is wonderful, between it and Speed Racer this has been a pretty good year for big budget domestic stuff.

hahahaha whaaaaaat
Axem Rangers
Speed Racer was phenomenal, that's why I was repping the Trixie avatar and "THIS IS MY RELIGON" a while back. The way the relatively simple story was told in such a violently confrontational and unneccesarily non-linear way, the way characters walked stage right to stage left to wipe in a scene and then paced back to right and wiped in a new scene, the way the first thirty minutes were paced like a trailer, all the classy nods to the original series, that they kept it PG, the fantastic cartoonish villans, the over-the-top jerky "camera" cuts back and forth between Trixie and Speed in the second leg of the cross country race, the camera spinning around the goddamn snowflakes in the arctic melee, the fucking spot-on costumes and makeup, RAIN, John Goodman beating up a ninja, the painfully corny Dancemania-esque credits song, man, I could go on for hours. It was pretty amazingly unparalelled and though I'm not suprised it didn't really find an auidence, that doesn't change how perfectly it did everything it set out to do (within the context of the film itself).

I saw it twice, the second time in Imax.

Same with Dark Knight, in face.

Someone talk about Stalker with me it's really bothering me trying to figure it out. It's probably the sci-fi / post-apocalyptic fan in me trying to rationalize the setting, which of course isn't at all what the movie is about. I guess it's to be taken the way many plays are meant to be taken: It's not about the idea behind the characters and what they're doing, it's about the ideas shared between the characters while they are doing it. Doesn't aggravate me any less, though, and I am still having difficult with the stuff about his daughter and Porcupine's brother.

I guess I should read the original book and the screenplay adapted novel / short story. Also a little annoying to know how much of the film was rewritten and reshot, it would be interesting to know what ideas got lost in that jumble.
djplaeskool
I, too, have to admit, Speed Racer was a really fun, pretty expertly crafted movie.

I think a lot of people just crap on the concept, not because of the execution, but because it seems intentionally designed to pan out like 90-minutes of a cartoon from the 60s.
over there
Dark Knight was okay, but I don't understand how you can still like the movie the second time watching it. The best movie I've seen come out recently was There Will Be Blood, which was absolutely astounding and I'd gladly watch it 4-5 more times without any hesitation.
Eggman of the Strata
They're both fun to see multiple times for some of the same reasons. Mostly the phenomenal acting throughout. Dark Knight has the honor of being partially filmed in IMAX though so seeing the differences is well worth it.
Axem Rangers
When Joker walks out of the hospital it's just great.
over there
QUOTE(Rowen of the Strata @ Jul 28 2008, 11:34 PM) *
They're both fun to see multiple times for some of the same reasons. Mostly the phenomenal acting throughout. Dark Knight has the honor of being partially filmed in IMAX though so seeing the differences is well worth it.

I dunno, blockbuster movie acting is just so fake to me, I can't stand it. There really isn't anything you'll benefit from on a second watch though, save for the IMAX differences you spoke about. It's a good movie for a hollywood movie, it's just not an amazing one like everyone says it is. I can't watch it again and like it, honestly, considering I've seen it before and I know what's coming, there's nothing to figure out, etc. I'd rather like it now than watch it again and like it less because there's no depth to it.

Plus man they killed fuckin' Two-Face in his first appearance sad.gif The love triangle in the movie was pretty pointless anyways, since Harvey's character is supposed to be selfless enough to fret over being chosen above any other hostage. They could have just as easily used Gordon's family or something instead of the girl. What a pointless character.
Axem Rangers
hahahahaha yeah the character that gave the script its emotional and dynamic character arc was totally pointless

it would have been better if all the characters were static

QUOTE(Gabe @ Jul 29 2008, 12:15 AM) *
I dunno, blockbuster movie acting is just so fake to me, I can't stand it.

what does this even mean
Fake-ass John Travolta
That any blockbuster movie that puts millions of dollars into to it and hires well-known big budget actors feels like they're not even trying to act? I have no idea honestly...

I saw Wanted about a month ago. It was pretty badass, its kinda like a cross between The Matrix and Fight Club.

Plus you hear Morgan freeman say "shoot the motherfucker!".
Deets
re: Speed Racer

I dug it, but people have already done pretty in-depth analysis on why the movie is kind of a fucking mess on a directorial level. Comparing it to The Dark Knight is fun, though, I'll admit.
Axem Rangers
I wasn't comparing it to Dark Knight.

I think directorally it's completely perfect. One's interpretation from there may vary, I guess, but as far as the production goes it seems completely and unfaultingly dead-on for what the intent was (or, "for what I percieve that the intent was"). Seems like, on some level, the core of the movie was to appeal to those working on the movie. Which, really, should be the point of all art.

(hahaha, briefly going over that exceedingly nitpicky article (I'll read it in full when I don't have company) "kind of a fucking mess" translates to pretty rad, point-for-point I guess)

I really hope it wins some sort of technical award, or best make-up or some shit. Making everyone look as animated as the rest of the movie, and exactly like their cartoon counterparts was a pretty sizable accomplishment, I think, not to mention managing to make Christina Ricchie some variant of sexually appealing.

Someone talk with me about Stalker I can't decide if I really, really like it or if it pisses me off a lot and would have been a collasal waste of time had it not been so goddamn pretty and had one of the most breathtaking long takes I've ever seen.

Also Boris's "Vein (Hardcore Version)" samples Stalker, apparently, and while I don't normally "ohh and aah" over dumb little things like that (this may or may not be a bareassed lie I guess), it's neat to see the bit of dialog in its original context (and have the translation for it, haha).
Akur0
QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Jul 28 2008, 11:41 PM) *
When Joker walks out of the hospital it's just great.

favorite scene in the movie acctually, the red wig had me rolling
QUOTE(Gabe @ Jul 29 2008, 12:15 AM) *
Plus man they killed fuckin' Two-Face in his first appearance sad.gif The love triangle in the movie was pretty pointless anyways, since Harvey's character is supposed to be selfless enough to fret over being chosen above any other hostage. They could have just as easily used Gordon's family or something instead of the girl. What a pointless character.

QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Jul 29 2008, 12:25 AM) *
hahahahaha yeah the character that gave the script its emotional and dynamic character arc was totally pointless

I thought the entire point of two face was to act as a character of balance in between joker's anarchy and batman's order.
Axem Rangers
nope
Brazoliange
QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Jul 28 2008, 11:25 PM) *

hahahaha god dammit joe I love you so much
BG_Hojo72
Dark Knight was really good. i don't have anything deeper to say about it.

Wall-E was phenomenal. and that's a completely serious statement. when i first saw Dark Knight, i said "This might be better" but now that i've had time to mull it over, i'm leaning towards Wall-E. i dunno. i saw it twice, but Dark Knight just once. i still need to IMAX that bitch.
SnakesonaplaneplayingIIDX
QUOTE(BG_Hojo72 @ Jul 29 2008, 10:44 AM) *
Dark Knight was really good. i don't have anything deeper to say about it.

Wall-E was phenomenal. and that's a completely serious statement. when i first saw Dark Knight, i said "This might be better" but now that i've had time to mull it over, i'm leaning towards Wall-E. i dunno. i saw it twice, but Dark Knight just once. i still need to IMAX that bitch.

I'm with you there man. I was really surprised at how good Wall-E was. I figured it would be just another generic kid CG animation vehicle, but the whole was much greater than the sum of its parts. I so wanna see it again, as does my sister.

As for Dark Knight, that was the best movie I've seen this year. Even better than Batman Begins, and that's saying something. It was worth the $6 I spent on it and then some. I should try to see it again on IMAX. biggrin.gif
over there
There's a love story in almost every hollywood movie and that's why they suck. Good movies either have unorthodox ones, or don't have them at all. Dark Knight's is fairly unorthodox, but it's nothing groundbreaking to cinema.

The acting in hollywood blockbusters always comes across to me as unrealistic, maybe it's the way Peter Parker in the Spider-Man movies was smiling with his eyes wide open no matter what the circumstance (he even cried with the same fucking face), but like big budget actors often just seem like themselves in movies, not the character they're supposed to portray. Some actors have one fairly rigid role and try to work around it by accepting roles in movies that are well-suited to their strengths (Morgan Freeman works in The Dark Knight just as he does in most other movies, and he was fantastic imo). Even regular people can be better actors than actors themselves, just because they've been living in a more "real" reality in a time period closer to the movie's filming. Some really good examples of this are Night of the Living Dead and Slacker, where NOTLD was and probably still is considered one of the deepest horror movies there is, with racial and sexual undertones, an ending that is scarier than most of the movie itself, and some of the highest tension during a horror movie I've ever seen (the final thanks to the acting). I mean, the guy who is holding the house has to kill a child that turned bad during the time he was in the house. Slacker was a breakthrough in cinema where Linklater basically created an entirely new genre of film, and though few people have seen the movie it's well worth watching just for all the human interactions. They take place with such striking realism that you can't help but feel that's the way the world really is; but even then the camerawork breaks that reality and reminds you that it's a movie, just as most movies should at some point.

In short, The Dark Knight is a good movie (better than I thought it would be actually, considering I thought the Joker was trying too hard to be Jack Nicholson from the previews), but I can't take it seriously enough as a film for it to warrant a second watch.
Axem Rangers
hahahahahaha indie film kid

I love Romero as much as the next warm blooded American but what Night of the Living Dead has to do with Dark Knight escapes me, they are fundamentally different in pretty much every way.

Also the love story bit sounds like something I would have said in the weeks following the Amiiii-chan disaster geez haha grow up

The bit in Dawn where they pop two kids in the head is better.

It also confuses me that your example as to why the acting in Dark Knight is bad is from Spiderman.
Mazrim
Haven't seen The Dark Knight yet, but I saw Wall-E on the weekend and it was really good. I wasn't expecting much but I came out of it very impressed. Considering how little actual script is in the movie, it's incredible what they get across and the themes of the movie are quite interesting.
Axem Rangers
I just finished Noriko's Dinner Table.

I liked it plenty, but it sure wasn't the easiest watch. It did a good job of explaining things that I wasn't wondering and completely ignoring the things I was (from Suicide Circle), hahaha. It spent a lot more time with "characters" than the first one did, which in a way was very helpful, especially since the male lead was so good. A lot of the themes it delt with got kind of worn my the time it was done with them, but they were all introduced so well. Everytime a new plot point was conveyed I was thinking "LOL no way that's pretty woooooow," (especially the first scene with Noriko and Ueno dressed as punk runaway daughters for the scruff businessman, and when they are unable to break character.). There were some pretty interesting shots, most memorable to me were at the beginning when Noriko is introducing us to her e-pals, and the long take near the finale with the three girls huddled around Tesuzo in the corner. I liked how often the point of the narrative jumped around (especially during the times it changed mid-scene, but the violent changes in time from cut to cut, back and forth, made it hard to follow at times. On the whole I'd say I enjoyed the first more, Noriko spent a lot more time either preaching or giving disassociated rants, but it's a good companion piece with a lot of interesting ideas.

I can't wait for the third! (Assuming it is still going to happen?)

I wish someone would put out an English edition of the goddamn novel, though.

I also watched Svankmajer's "Jabberwocky" and "Food" earlier today. Jabberwocky was endless fun, and had an almost headache inducing pace. I can't imagine how labor intensive it must have been to make! Food was pretty great, mostly the gross absurdity of the 'Dinner' sequence (my stomach was turned more by the condiments than the portion, haha). I will need to see his "Fall of the House Of User" as well as Faust next. After I rewatch Alice, anyway.

I think I am rewatching Stalker tomorrow evening. I've come to the temporary conclusion that it's fucking brilliant and all of "my problems with it" are simply my problems, but we'll see how I feel afterwards.

ALSO CRITERION 2-DISC SALO OUT SOON FUCK TO THE FUCKING YEAH
Axem Rangers
(In stark contrast to most critical analysis,) I think I had an easier time with Stalker than I did with Solaris.
djplaeskool
Everyone, do yourselves a favor and go see Pineapple Express.
One Niceass Individual
QUOTE(djplaeskool @ Aug 7 2008, 08:39 PM) *
Everyone, do yourselves a favor and go see Pineapple Express.

this is the worst time for me to run out of weed

worse than when ATHF colon movie film for theaters came out. I have some curse related to being sober when stoner flicks come out.

Regardless, I'm excited for this one!
Axem Rangers
I sure do like Blue Velvet.
security tubbs
QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Aug 11 2008, 01:56 PM) *
I sure do like Blue Velvet.

Thumbs way the fuck up.

I honestly love David Lynch's work in every case that isn't Erasherhead. Especially that insane Dune adaptation.

"MY NAME IS A KILLING WORD!"
Axem Rangers
Eraserhead is my favorite movie, and David Lynch is my favorite director.

I didn't want to bring up Lynch, just Blue Velvet, because talking about the larger body of his work with most people is fairly aggravating.

Dune is pretty great also.
Deoxysapple
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7562557.stm

"...Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince... pushed back... to July 2009."

sad.gif

It better freaking own when it's out.
rmz
So how about that Clone Wars
Eggman of the Strata
I'm not surprised. I thought it started as a straight-to-DVD release. And it probably should've stayed as one.
djplaeskool
Ya, seriously.
All signs and reviews point to it being like a mediocre hour and a half long pilot of a mediocre series...
Which it basically is...
PkerUNO
I just saw the adverts for it and said "What... the... shit".
chotto kiitena
I saw the trailer or whatever and was wondering mostly why they purposefully made the characters look awful
djplaeskool
QUOTE(Xythar @ Aug 15 2008, 08:58 PM) *
I saw the trailer or whatever and was wondering mostly why they purposefully made the characters look awful

There was an open house/advance viewing at the Skywalker Ranch a couple of weeks ago.
Supposedly, they're supposed to look like painted wooden marionettes...why? Even Lucasfilm had no logical reasoning for that "artistic" "decision" btns.gif
grayfox9996
QUOTE(djplaeskool @ Aug 15 2008, 08:57 PM) *
Supposedly, they're supposed to look like painted wooden marionettes...why?

Because obviously they want to compete with the Team America demographic THE GEORGE LUCAS WAY™
djplaeskool
jiano
QUOTE(Deoxysapple @ Aug 15 2008, 05:14 PM) *
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7562557.stm

"...Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince... pushed back... to July 2009."

sad.gif

It better freaking own when it's out.

HP TWG IX

Who will kill Dumbledore

Let's see
Schlagwerk
QUOTE(HIGHWAY61 @ Aug 16 2008, 02:38 AM) *
HP TWG IX

Who will kill Dumbledore

Let's see

Harry, shirt, ripped, gay sex, etc
Toph
Thye
Toph
I know I'm late to the party, but THE DARK KNIGHT is top tier. Way top tier. Maybe broken tier.

I went to see it like 3 weeks after it came out, at 10:30 PM (last show of the day), and the theater was full of people. I guess that goes to show how god damn good that movie is.
therealbong
QUOTE(HIGHWAY61 @ Aug 16 2008, 04:38 AM) *
HP TWG IX

Who will kill Dumbledore

Let's see

Snape, with the wand.....ummmm in the castle
*checks the 3 clue cards* I WIN!
Deets
Major surprise: Tropic Thunder is a pretty fucking hilarious movie. I wasn't expecting much from a Ben Stiller vehicle, but I was amused and bemused the whole way through.
Toph
QUOTE(Deets @ Aug 17 2008, 01:28 PM) *
Major surprise: Tropic Thunder is a pretty fucking hilarious movie. I wasn't expecting much from a Ben Stiller vehicle, but I was amused and bemused the whole way through.

Tropical Pallete
I was actually curious about that movie and wondered if it was any good. Glad to hear it doesn't suck.

I've actually seen a whole bunch of movies this summer, which is very unusual for me: WALL-E, The Dark Knight, Hancock, Pineapple Express, Kung Fu Panda, Iron Man, and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And with the exception of the last one, I enjoyed each of them, and even saw some of them twice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.