Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAME THREAD
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327
over there
So I found avideo of this QMA clone called Quiz Master Absolute that's basically QMA3 without the characters, and I was wondering where I could find it (google doesn't help sad.gif)

Also, I've tried out Taiko Portable 2 on the PSP recently and it's pretty awesome, though not as cool as actually using the drums.

I'm trying out Myst, Ridge Racers 2 (which looks like Ridge Racers with more R4, always a good thing), and Moegaku @ Portable (basically a moetan sim) for PSP soon, so I'll have some opinions on those soon.

DJ MAX 2 Portable is fun, but not as much as I expected it to be.

I'm also looking for some decent PS2 games, I've been looking at RE4 but I'm not sure it's as good as SH2. Any suggestions for good adventure/puzzle/driving games?
Schlagwerk
I've been playing Ys games off and on since Feb and I want to talk about boss strategies and such for Ark of Napishtim & Oath in Felghana, but none of the people I currently talk to often have any clue about Ys.

In Napishtim I'm pretty much stuck at Majunun on regular play and Ernst on Time Attack in Nightmare. (Damn Ernst.. he was so easy in every other difficulty that I never developed a proper strategy for him)

In Felghana I always have problems with Chester I & II on Nightmare and Inferno.
grayfox9996
QUOTE(otaku1313 @ Jun 18 2007, 01:30 PM) *
I'm also looking for some decent PS2 games, I've been looking at RE4 but I'm not sure it's as good as SH2. Any suggestions for good adventure/puzzle/driving games?

Silent Hill 2 is one of the best games ever, and definitely the best survival horror game, in my opinion.

RE4 is NOT, I repeat, NOT a survival horror game, as far as I'm concerned. It's a 3rd person action game with some survival horror elements. It is an excellent game once you get past the point of accepting that it's not a survival horror (this actually turned me off from it originally, as I could hardly stand how different it was from past REs). Honestly, I'd play it - it's well worth the $20. It has a great storyline, a great setting (incredibly - I thought it was going to be boring and stick to a small town the entire time, but it's quite expansive), GREAT gameplay, great replay value, and some very memorable moments. Just don't go into it thinking it's anything like Silent Hill or previous RE games, and you'll be set.
Eggman of the Strata
Instead of scaring you with jumping monsters, it keeps you at such a high level of intensity that it wears you out. I'll be picking up RE4Wii this week because I never bought the GC version or PS2 version and I'd like the extras from the PS2 version with real widescreen, as well as the better graphics/load times and the new controls. All signs point to awesome.

I actually picked up FFV Advance again the other day.

Aside from that, I've played a lot of Red Star (amazing beat'em up/bullet hell shooter), finished Tales of the Abyss, got through another stage of Odama (the hardest game ever), and restarted Metroid Prime 1 in preparation for Metroid Prime 3.
grayfox9996
QUOTE(Eggman @ Jun 18 2007, 01:53 PM) *
got through another stage of Odama (the hardest game ever),

Wow. How far are you? My roommate and I rented it, and between the both of us we couldn't make it further than 5 stages in.

and restarted Metroid Prime 1 in preparation for Metroid Prime 3.

Amazingly, I started my - I believe - 10th Metroid Prime run 2 weeks ago. I'll probably finish it over my semester break (this week).

I still need to go back and beat 2 again...I'm not exactly looking forward to it. Maybe it'll be better this time? sad.gif I'd much rather play Super Metroid again...
Eggman of the Strata
I'm at stage 7 at this point. I was stuck at 4 for the longest time and then broke through and beat it and then beat 5 within 4 tries. 6 took me more than a few dozen attempts.

When I think of Metroid Prime 1 and 2, I actually realize that I liked 2 a lot more. The game just feels more polished, though I'll be damned if that first big open area in Phendrana in 1 isn't absolutely gorgeous even now. The dark areas never seemed to bother me as much as other people.
One Niceass Individual
I'm playing Seiken Densetsu 3 right now. I apparently have the worst team ever: Angela, Lise, Hawkeye
YAY
therealbong
ahhhs, good ol "Odama" smile.gif me and my friends beat it. happy.gif We also got copies for like 10 bucks each when Electronics Boutique had it as the game of the day smile.gif.

"Odin Sphere" is apparently an awesome game for the ps2 thats come out recently. I haven't played it much but it looks fucking nice.

"Ico" is a pretty awesome game and fits under the adventure/puzzle category. I'm not sure if you've heard of it, kind of a cult hit game for the PS2. It was made by the same guy who did "Shadow of the Colossus" and although the game play is similar, the goal is much different, and also the fact that the game isn't just 16 boss battles lol.

For portables, I'd just go with 'tetris ds' on endless marathon mode. sad.gif stupid DS running out of batteries when I was at 5000+ lines.

for board games...SETTLERS OF CATAN. I need sheep for my wood...can anyone help me?

I should really finish my run through of "Brandish" for the snes
grayfox9996
QUOTE(Eggman @ Jun 18 2007, 02:08 PM) *
When I think of Metroid Prime 1 and 2, I actually realize that I liked 2 a lot more. The game just feels more polished, though I'll be damned if that first big open area in Phendrana in 1 isn't absolutely gorgeous even now. The dark areas never seemed to bother me as much as other people.

I didn't like the world design, the new weapons (especially the fact that they used ammo - they really should have just depowered them a bit and made them ammo-less), Dark Samus, the fact that you have to go through the same areas at least twice because of the dark world (more for backtracking, which felt even MORE tedious in that game than in 1 - and sequence breaking made replays of 1 much less backtrack-intensive), the new enemies (especially the bosses - Quadraxis was incredible, but other than that...)...pretty much everything. Actually, getting down to it, I think my biggest problem with the game is the complete focus on combat - they intentionally made the combat portions of the game much more difficult and lengthy than in the previous game. They turned it into more of a shooter than a platforming action/adventure game with some shooting elements. This is what scares me about 3 - they've said that combat is going to be even more prominent, which could make the level design take a back seat to the shooting, which is not what Metroid has been about.

It's not that it's a terrible game or anything, I just enjoy other Metroid games so much more than 2 that every time I start playing it, I wish I'm playing 1 or Super or Zero Mission or Fusion or 3 even (just because it'll be something new - I just hope it's not like 2, where I play it once and never have the urge to play it again).

Honestly, I didn't mind the dark world idea - it was just almost IDENTICAL 99% of the time. Like Retro wanted to rush through the creation process for level design, so they did the dark world idea JUST to save the designers the trouble of designing a world the size of Prime 1 - just let the artists create a few new textures and there you go, the world is "different." It's just sleazy game design to me, especially considering how important the world is to a Metroid game.
Deets
I made it to the 5th strata in Etrian Odyssey today - I said in the puzzle league thread a few weeks ago that I thought it was one of the best games on the DS, and my sentiment hasn't changed much since that time. It's definitely not for everyone, on account of the fact that it's a difficult first-person dungeon crawler where you draw the map yourself on the touchscreen, but damn - the game's economy of design, sense of character and pacing are all wonderful. I would strongly recommend checking it out.

Also! Taito Legends 2, which got a release in the US on the PS2 recently for $20. There are a lot of really excellent games on the disc (Elevator Action Returns, G-Darius, Cameltry, Metal Black, etc.), so it's unfortunate that it doesn't work with my arcade stick, which is missing the two buttons necessary for actually inserting a coin and starting a game. There are also some unfortunate input and slowdown issues in Darius Gaiden, Metal Black and a few other games, but considering that it's $20 and has 40 games on it, it's difficult to argue with value in this case.
Eggman of the Strata
QUOTE(therealbong @ Jun 18 2007, 04:21 PM) *
"Odin Sphere" is apparently an awesome game for the ps2 thats come out recently. I haven't played it much but it looks fucking nice.

I can attest to its awesomeness. The story parts play out like a play and the fights themselves are wonderful. Characters control differently enough for the game to stay varied and the stories come together in fantastic ways. The soundtrack is also wonderful.

An absolutely wonderful game.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE(Oni+ @ Jun 18 2007, 05:10 PM) *
I'm playing Seiken Densetsu 3 right now. I apparently have the worst team ever: Angela, Lise, Hawkeye

Yeouch.. and I thought my team where Duran was my only healer was bad. Back in January I found a copy of just the SD3 cart for $20 at some used game place in Baltimore, MD. They knocked off another $5 because they overheard me complaining about how they had written "Secret of Mana 2" on the back of the cart with a sharpie. Unfortunately, I really haven't gotten to play it that much. Back in college I had finished all 3 paths on a ROM and wanted to do that on the cart, too.

QUOTE(therealbong @ Jun 18 2007, 05:21 PM) *
for board games...SETTLERS OF CATAN. I need sheep for my wood...can anyone help me?

I've got wood for sheep!
over there
My friends have Odin Sphere, and I've played through Ico (very nice game btw). I'll probably check out Odin this weekend and see if I wanna buy it.

Taito Legends 2 is all ready win in my book for G-Darius, I'll see if I can find that as well.

I've been playing a few driving games recently, and there aren't many decent games coming out these days (I don't have an XBOX, so no Forza). Best of the bunch I've played recently is (surprisingly) Test Drive Unlimited for PS2, which I'm sure is better for the 360. It's huge environment and large base of playable cars is good, though it gets quite tedious at times, something I never felt with games such as Gran Turismo or Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. I miss the old days of Need For Speed before the tuners, where you had different classes of cars and couldn't tune a Civic to go against a Lamborghini. Who's gonna fuck up a car that costs over $200k anyways? I'm glad I kept NFS 2 and NFS: High Stakes, though I should have bought the original Hot Pursuit when I had the chance. The recent games just don't measure up in fun factor anymore. Other recent driving games I've played include NFS: Carbon, which is pretty darn bad (looks and plays like the Underground series, which is the bane of NFS), Outrun 2006 for PSP (surprisingly good for a small arcade racer, but I can't exactly call arcade racers "driving" games), Initial D Street Stage for PSP (still the same old D, for better or worse), and Wangan Midnight Tune for PSX (this game is ATROCIOUS, I'm so glad I didn't pay for it :X).
rmz
QUOTE(JDM_Deets @ Jun 18 2007, 02:34 PM) *
I made it to the 5th strata in Etrian Odyssey today - I said in the puzzle league thread a few weeks ago that I thought it was one of the best games on the DS, and my sentiment hasn't changed much since that time. It's definitely not for everyone, on account of the fact that it's a difficult first-person dungeon crawler where you draw the map yourself on the touchscreen, but damn - the game's economy of design, sense of character and pacing are all wonderful. I would strongly recommend checking it out.

Enjoy it while you can, because the post-game (6th stratum and post-endgame bosses) is absolutely stupid. The 6th Stratum is nothing but warps and stupid invisible pits, and the new quest bosses are ridiculously hard. I got Wyrm down to about 75% health before he one-shotted everyone in my party sad.gif

But, I did a Skill Point Reset on all of my party members to get them fine-tuned to tackle the extra bosses, but that process makes them each lose 10 levels so I have to grind them back up from 60 to 70. That takes a fair bit of time so I'm taking a small break from that game right now.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE(otaku1313 @ Jun 18 2007, 06:06 PM) *
I miss the old days of Need For Speed before the tuners, where you had different classes of cars and couldn't tune a Civic to go against a Lamborghini.

Agreed. My favorite was High Stakes for the PC. It had all the tracks from Hot Pursuit 1 as unlockables so it was like 2 games in one. (I think I got that right.. High Stakes was NFSIV and Hot Pursuit was NFSIII, right?)

Anyhow.. PC version hasn't run since I got rid of my Voodoo III. ;P

I played a little Hot Pursuit 2 and Underground 1, but I couldn't get into 'em without real car damage.
Deets
QUOTE(rmz @ Jun 18 2007, 04:19 PM) *
Enjoy it while you can, because the post-game (6th stratum and post-endgame bosses) is absolutely stupid. The 6th Stratum is nothing but warps and stupid invisible pits, and the new quest bosses are ridiculously hard. I got Wyrm down to about 75% health before he one-shotted everyone in my party sad.gif

I didn't really expect anything else from the post-game!
TheKnightOfNee
I just got ahold of Silent Hill 3 recently. I've played 2, but I haven't played the first game. My understanding is that the story of SH3 ties in with that of SH1. Should I play through SH1 before giving SH3 a shot? Or is it such that I'd be fine jumping in to SH3, and the story will explain what I need to know?

I also got Lumines Plus for the PS2 not too long ago. It's fun and exciting in the way Rez is, because the music is manipulated by your playing. It also seems pretty easy as far as puzzle games go. I managed to max out my score, and I still have a couple open spots on the high score list.
over there
QUOTE(TheKnightOfNee @ Jun 18 2007, 06:56 PM) *
I just got ahold of Silent Hill 3 recently. I've played 2, but I haven't played the first game. My understanding is that the story of SH3 ties in with that of SH1. Should I play through SH1 before giving SH3 a shot? Or is it such that I'd be fine jumping in to SH3, and the story will explain what I need to know?

I also got Lumines Plus for the PS2 not too long ago. It's fun and exciting in the way Rez is, because the music is manipulated by your playing. It also seems pretty easy as far as puzzle games go. I managed to max out my score, and I still have a couple open spots on the high score list.

Lumines is pretty fun for a while, but can wear on you after about 25 minutes of the continuous mode.

As for Silent Hill, I've played through the first one and the beginning of the third one and noticed no connection. However, I'm sure there is some sort of connection between all the games, just not an obvious (read: same characters or something) one.
rmz
QUOTE(otaku1313 @ Jun 18 2007, 04:36 PM) *
As for Silent Hill, I've played through the first one and the beginning of the third one and noticed no connection. However, I'm sure there is some sort of connection between all the games, just not an obvious (read: same characters or something) one.

No, there is a really obvious connection between SH1 and SH3. REALLY obvious. Heather is actually Cheryl from Silent Hill 1.

I would recommend playing SH1 before SH3, yeah.
over there
QUOTE(rmz @ Jun 18 2007, 08:26 PM) *
No, there is a really obvious connection between SH1 and SH3. REALLY obvious. Heather is actually Cheryl from Silent Hill 1.

I would recommend playing SH1 before SH3, yeah.

Maybe I didn't get that far in the game o_O I don't particularly like 3 anyways, so I may have not been paying attention lol. Thanks for pointing that out though.
PkerUNO
Speaking of Need For Speed, I found Most Wanted to be pretty damn good. The world is well-designed and the police chases are really exhilarating!
over there
QUOTE(PkerUNO @ Jun 18 2007, 09:38 PM) *
Speaking of Need For Speed, I found Most Wanted to be pretty damn good. The world is well-designed and the police chases are really exhilarating!

Most Wanted was the best since HPII, but it still can't measure up. The police chases seem like rehashes from HPII, and the customizability still bothers me , but it's pretty much required for the game. I'll agree that it's fun to play a race every now and then, but it's easily forgettable in the frame of the whole series.
Moogy
Odin Sphere is the best PS2 game. Everything else released for the past few years is an utter joke compared to Odin Sphere.
WILD RIDE
Everything is the best anything ever.

On an on-topic note, Touhou games are bad, and I do not like them.

Also, Megaman Battle Network 4 is better than everyone says.
therealbong
I never really got into the battle network series. To be more precise: I've never played one. I just finished ZX though, which I thought was pretty fun. A little easy although I like the way they're heading with it. OH man is the Omega X suit broken (lol at first I didn't know it had an over drive...cause there was no bar...until I accidentally hit the button...OH MAN is it broken).

Dammit, I'm in the mood for Devil Dice/Bombastic now. sad.gif I haven't played that multiplayer in years now.
Deets
QUOTE(Monster-in-a-box! @ Jun 18 2007, 10:01 PM) *
On an on-topic note, Touhou games are bad, and I do not like them.

Nice.
Eggman of the Strata
QUOTE(therealbong @ Jun 18 2007, 11:52 PM) *
Dammit, I'm in the mood for Devil Dice/Bombastic now. sad.gif I haven't played that multiplayer in years now.

OH MY GOD IF YOU ARE NOT A WOMAN PLEASE TURN INTO AN ATTRACTIVE ONE SO YOU CAN HAVE MY CHILDREN.

Bombastic is easily one of my favorite puzzle games. My friends have called me the King of Sixes.
Hitman
Hey, I know some of the games people are talking about in this thread.

I have Odin Sphere and I've played through one character's story. Maybe the first thing worth noting is the game is fairly challenging. I don't think I have as much trouble with it as I've heard other people say they have (elsewhere on the net, not this thread specifically), but I died quite a few times in the later levels, and I'm playing on Normal difficulty. Part of it's just getting used to the game mechanics, though, and I noticed the game got a LOT easier when I decided to replay a level for level-building purposes. Basically, if you're not too rash with your resources, and you take the time to completely explore each level, you won't run into any big problems, but you'll still have to put some effort into it. Also take note: Cooking is THE most useful activity in Odin Sphere, certainly much more useful than in any other game it's been in, and quite possibly real life itself.

It's interesting Resident Evil 4 got brought up, because I JUST bought that again (I lost my previous copy). When I played the game before I relied too much on other people's advice on which guns to get, and I think that's missing the point. You have to carry the guns you think best suit your playing style. I've also learned since then that each gun has some specific unique enhancement that gets added to it once you've upgraded all its parameters all the way. Right? So I might decide to avoid switching to an updated version of the shotgun, for example, if I can help it (since apparently the upgrades are better with the weaker guns).

And since Silent Hill has been brought up some and I can't help myself, I'd just like to say I played through Silent Hill 3 before 1 and I liked it just fine. Actually, it's my favorite one. The story didn't make any sense, but I'm not sure it would have anyway; after playing through SH3 up to the hospital, I actually looked at the GameFAQs guide to the plot, and I think that made things a lot clearer than they normally would have been, and didn't alter my enjoyment of the game (which came mostly from the scares anyway).

I keep hearing that SH3 tends to be the least favorite in the series, and I don't really understand that. SH3 scared me more than any of the others. Robbie the rabbit, the bathroom stall, the mirror room, the... gah... mannequin room? For months after finishing the game, I was afraid to walk around the house for fear a corpse would drop from the ceiling. (Although I guess maybe more people prefer story, which would make more sense. SH2 and SH4 get much better grades for story.)

As for games I've actually been playing recently, I just got Super Mario Sunshine again, and I swear I'm getting all the Shine Sprites this time. If I can figure out where they all are. Don't some require you to shoot water at an invisible icon in the air? Well, even if I don't succeed, at least I get to experience the wonder of dying over and over in the FLUDD-less portions of the game again.

Lastly, I've recently decided that I want to complete some "challenge" in an RPG. Like, collect everything in a specific game, max out all character levels, finish Final Fantasy using all red mages, that kind of thing. I went through a list of games I was most familiar with and Fletcher talked me into finding all weapons and chapters in Drakengard, since I already had a save file from a long time ago aiming towards that effect. As it turns out, it's only 20% complete, but that's a start. And I had completely forgotten the thrill of massacring hundreds of people at a time without bias. RIDE INTO THE DANGER ZONE.

tl;dr
Putf8umHawke
QUOTE(Hitman @ Jun 19 2007, 06:20 AM) *
I went through a list of games I was most familiar with and Fletcher talked me into finding all weapons and chapters in Drakengard, since I already had a save file from a long time ago aiming towards that effect. As it turns out, it's only 20% complete, but that's a start.

Drakengard was surprisingly very good, and not what me and Omni expected from a Squeenix game when we picked it up. I don't know how many of the endings you've seen, so I'm going to stop here. Drakengard 2 sucks really bad in comparison though... Stupid queer red mage with the gnomes.
Hitman
QUOTE(Putf8umHawke @ Jun 19 2007, 04:40 AM) *
Drakengard was surprisingly very good, and not what me and Omni expected from a Squeenix game when we picked it up. I don't know how many of the endings you've seen, so I'm going to stop here.

The answer is "none of them". But I've already heard about the incest ending if that's what you were referring to.
arttq
To my knowledge Heather is not Cheryl but reborn Alessa. You know the baby that Harry gets in the end.
jammitch!
I played Bombastic once. The set of sense it made had a supremum of zero.

Currently finishing up Metroid Prime 2, and then I have to go back and take care of Shadow of the Colossus, and I still need to get around to finishing Yoshi's Island DS. The problem there is I like to get 100% on the first pass, but that's hard on the last world, especially when you play 10 minutes before going to sleep. Been using Puzzle League lately though. And then there's the Paper Mario side quests. Stupid dark pit you have to do twice.
chotto kiitena
PKER ACTUALLY LIKES PICROSS LOLOLOLOLOL

(no seriously)

edit:

Richard - [ I'm Off To See The Wizard, The Wonderful Wizard Of Happy Hardcre & Disco House *unicef ] says:
I really like Picross
Xythar says:
rofl
Richard - [ I'm Off To See The Wizard, The Wonderful Wizard Of Happy Hardcre & Disco House *unicef ] says:
don't you dare tell anyone
PkerUNO
sad.gif
Schlagwerk
QUOTE(XytharDX @ Jun 19 2007, 09:15 AM) *

One of us! One of us!

..still no love for Ys..
therealbong
QUOTE(jammitch! @ Jun 19 2007, 07:55 AM) *
I played Bombastic once. The set of sense it made had a supremum of zero.

Just play it with a few other people for a few minutes and watch the hours pass by.

Dangit, I need more picross. lol I don't know why PK you're so wanting to be 'in the closet' about picross lol its an awesome game.

And don't talk to me about SH 1 sad.gif. It was the first survival horror I played...and I learned the hard way what 'survival' meant. I got to the last boss with like 50 bullets, and couldn't kill the fucking thing, and I couldn't hit it with the melee weapon I had, and I was at a point where I couldn't go back and look for more shit. lol I still haven't beaten the game.

RE4....normal handgun all the way for me. lol I love looking at reviews saying 'ohh this handgun is the most powerful cause its power rating is like 10.0, you should get this one!' and them doing an 'active test' between the guns and saying that it killed the most zombies by far. Silly nub's not knowing what a head shot is. I agree though that this game ain't no survival horror. I was looking at past saves I had, and I had more ammo slots taken than everything else COMBINED; including weapons. Still uber fun to play though.
Hitman
QUOTE(arttq @ Jun 19 2007, 06:14 AM) *
To my knowledge Heather is not Cheryl but reborn Alessa. You know the baby that Harry gets in the end.

That's correct. Although technically Cheryl was created to contain the soul of Alessa, and the two sort of became one when Cheryl returned to Silent Hill, and then Alessa was reborn as Heather, so technically all three are the same person. Like Fei in Xenogears.

QUOTE(XytharDX @ Jun 19 2007, 08:15 AM) *

Picross as in Mario Picross? I thought everyone liked that. (Note: That link seems broken for some reason right now, but hopefully it won't be eventually.)
Mazrim
This thread needs more Picross love.
Axem Rangers
I didn't care for Resident Evil 4, even after I had gotten over the initial disappointment of it not being a Resident Evil game.
chotto kiitena
But that was the best thing about RE4 biggrin.gif
Axem Rangers
If not being a Resident Evil game is the best part of a game, that doesn't speak awfully well for the rest of it. I know nothing about the development of the game or whatever, but it felt to me very much like Capcom was developing some decent/generic action title and decided to tack on the Resident Evil name to push copies. Seemed pretty forced.

If I want to play an more high strung, action-y horror game, I'll play Eternal Darkness. Man that game is the shit.
Moogy
QUOTE(Hitman @ Jun 19 2007, 09:17 AM) *
That's correct. Although technically Cheryl was created to contain the soul of Alessa, and the two sort of became one when Cheryl returned to Silent Hill, and then Alessa was reborn as Heather, so technically all three are the same person. Like Fei in Xenogears.

The best part of that is that Fei is his own dad. Or something.
Hitman
One more thing I forgot about Drakengard. Is it just me, or are these the most annoying characters in any video game, ever? "Caim, you must eliminate the targets on the map before they escape! Agh, you're so evil! You must stop your killing ways! Destroy these children for bonus points! Will your blind hatred never cease!? The empire killed your parents! Ragh!"
chotto kiitena
QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Jun 19 2007, 02:39 PM) *
If not being a Resident Evil game is the best part of a game, that doesn't speak awfully well for the rest of it. I know nothing about the development of the game or whatever, but it felt to me very much like Capcom was developing some decent/generic action title and decided to tack on the Resident Evil name to push copies. Seemed pretty forced.

If I want to play an more high strung, action-y horror game, I'll play Eternal Darkness. Man that game is the shit.

Considering that I generally hate RE games with a passion and RE4 was fantastic then yes.

It's not a decent/generic action game inasmuch as it is an outright amazing action game. It got given Game of the Year by all these publications for a reason.
jammitch!
QUOTE(therealbong @ Jun 19 2007, 08:57 AM) *
Just play it with a few other people for a few minutes and watch the hours pass by.

There were at least four of us, and I'm pretty sure everyone who didn't own the game voted to stop playing it.
Axem Rangers
QUOTE(XytharDX @ Jun 19 2007, 07:22 PM) *
Considering that I generally hate RE games with a passion and RE4 was fantastic then yes.

It's not a decent/generic action game inasmuch as it is an outright amazing action game. It got given Game of the Year by all these publications for a reason.

Hahahaha, yeah, and The Da Vinci Code is an incredibly written book with a compelling and belivable story and engaging characters.

And saying you liked RE4 when you didn't like the rest of the series...well, the two aren't all that related. That's like saying, "I hated Super Mario 64, but I loved Mario Kart 64." Aside from name and company, the two don't have a hell of a lot in common. Resident Evil 4 is a decent action game. But because I was looking forward to a new Resident Evil game from Resident Evil 4 (now why would I think that?) I couldn't even really enjoy it for that. Shattering disappointment.

I also didn't really get the story but it didn't grab me at all so I probably wasn't paying attention. The only reason I even bother bringing that up was because of how much I love the Resident Evil continuity.

In conclusiuon, it's too dangerous to go outside.
BBH
QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Jun 19 2007, 12:39 PM) *

Do you think RE4 would have been better if they had ditched all that action and included more puzzles based on putting together emblems and carrying around different types of cranks (with lots and lots and lots and lots of oh-so-fun backtracking)?
Moogy
I tried playing RE4 once and gave up due to the bad controls.

Upcoming RPGs (in America):

gRimgRiMoiRe (6/26) [PS2]
Hoshigami Remix (6/26) [NDS]
Persona 3 (7/24) [PS2]
Growlanser V (August) [PS2]
Heroes of Mana (8/14) [NDS]
Luminous Arc (8/14) [NDS]
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon (8/14) [NDS]
Wild ARMs V (8/28) [PS2]
Soul Cradle (9/11) [PS2]

Interesting things coming out in Japan:

Growlanser VI (6/21) [PS2]
Mana-Khemia: Gakuen no Renkinjutsu Shitachi (6/21) [PS2]
Shinseiki Evangelion: Battle Orchestra (6/28) [PS2]
Tales of Fandom Vol. 2 (6/28) [PS2]
Doki Doki Majo Shinpan (7/5) [NDS]
Memories Off #5 Encore (7/12) [PS2]
Pop'n Music 14 Fever (7/12) [PS2]
beatmania IIDX 13 DistorteD (8/30) [PS2]
Summon Night Twin Edge: Seireitachi no Kyoumei (8/30) [NDS]
Nanatsuiro Drops Pure! (9/6) [PS2]

A very cool looking SRPG called Magician's Academy just came out in Japan. It appears to be based on a light novel (ライトノベル)! NISA and Atlus are already getting requests to localize it, but it probably won't happen. Look up まじしゃんず あかでみい on nicovideo if you want to see some videos.

Also, according to Heisei Democracy, some highly anticipated new eroge localizations will be announced at AX. HD has ties to JAST, so I'd trust them. Personally, I'm betting on Da Capo 1 and 2.

Oh, and there's going to be some sort of Negima game for the Wii.
Axem Rangers
oh shit I need to reserve Doki Doki Majo Whatever soon.
WILD RIDE
QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Jun 19 2007, 08:32 PM) *
oh shit I need a bank account

Fixed for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.