Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAME THREAD
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327
Mazrim
QUOTE (WILD RIDE @ Mar 23 2010, 01:08 PM) *
Also, oh boy 3D. Why does everyone care about 3D so much, if the general progress of Nintendo handhelds is any indication this one won't have graphics that really call for 3D anyway. Whatever, I hope they don't forget about 2D.

I'm sure Castlevania: Concerto of Massacre will continue beating 2D Metroidvania to death for Nintendo.
spineshark
rmz
QUOTE (Mazrim @ Mar 23 2010, 12:11 PM) *
I'm sure Castlevania: Concerto of Massacre will continue beating 2D Metroidvania to death for Nintendo.

As long as they keep being fun I'll keep playing 'em
WILD RIDE
QUOTE (rmz @ Mar 23 2010, 03:37 PM) *
As long as they keep being fun I'll keep playing 'em

Pretty much. Hey, aren't we overdue for one, they were coming out every year for a while.
Eggman of the Strata
What the 3DS is supposed to be using would be able to have GameCube level graphics pretty easily.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra_250.html

And the 3DS should be using the Tegra 2 so it should be even better than that.

So basically this thing could outpower the Wii, which would funny if it wasn't so sad.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186369/nvid...id_tablets.html

There's some stuff on the Tegra 2.
rmz
I could believe it, since the DS was roughly analogous to the N64. Still, I would be surprised because it seems like Nintendo has latched hard onto the "different ways to play, impressive graphics are a bottom priority" school of thought. Which is a real shame because I would love an HD Nintendo console too. I just can't really cope with going back and forth between FFXIII and, say, Twilight Princess.
Eggman of the Strata
I seem to remember Iwata saying a few years back that yes, the next Nintendo console would be full HD and they'd have no choice in the matter. I think they were just waiting for HD stuff to become cheaper and for penetration to be higher before committing while putting out enough PR stuff to cover that they went cheap.
rmz
The problem is that if this generation's consoles are going to have a 6-8 year life cycle (it's certainly seeming that way), Nintendo had to have expected that HD would be a lot more mainstream even by the halfway point of the Wii's life. Putting out a new console in late 2006 (almost 2007) with SD-only support was a bad decision, in my opinion. But I'm a graphics whore, so.
chotto kiitena
You'd think, it seems to have paid off for them though.

It annoys me because whenever something new that I want to play comes out for Wii it's like going back to the PS2 again. I think I honestly would be happy if the Wii was 100% casual games and all the other stuff got moved to PS3 and 360 because I can't really think of a recent game where I felt like the Wii controller actually improved the experience enough to be worth playing the game on the Wii for.
rmz
QUOTE (chotto kiitena @ Mar 23 2010, 04:01 PM) *
You'd think, it seems to have paid off for them though.

It annoys me because whenever something new that I want to play comes out for Wii it's like going back to the PS2 again. I think I honestly would be happy if the Wii was 100% casual games and all the other stuff got moved to PS3 and 360 because I can't really think of a recent game where I felt like the Wii controller actually improved the experience enough to be worth playing the game on the Wii for.

Trauma Center is the only one I can think of, but it's probably because I actively dislike the DS controls for those games.
chotto kiitena
I actually tried Trauma Center but I didn't really like the Wii controls, they felt way less precise than on DS. Although I never beat the game on DS either because it was hard as hell so I dunno.
rmz
I like it because rapid tool switching is actually really easy as opposed to something that constantly pisses you off
Eggman of the Strata
And this is why Trauma Team will be awesome.
rmz
If anybody's interested there's a live stream of SSF4 going on over there edit: it's over

also

BBH
QUOTE (rmz @ Mar 23 2010, 08:28 AM) *
To ride the SSF4 discussion train for one more post, the comments on this article made me die a little inside

SSF4 should be $10, DLC, with 30 new characters, a tag battle mode, and also give you a handjob when you put the disc in the tray apparently

I like how I didn't even have to highlight the link to know that it was kotaku
grayfox9996
QUOTE (BBH @ Mar 23 2010, 09:54 PM) *
I like how I didn't even have to highlight the link to know that it was kotaku

To be fair, there are people commenting like that in a lot of places. Then again, there are lots of stupid commenters everywhere you go anymore. And then I go on shoryuken, and there's just elitist pricks left and right. "You don't have any authority on this, because you're not [insert name here] or me, and we're the best [insert character here] players in the WORLD. So just shut up and get out of here." It always feels like it's hard to find good commenters anywhere.
sir nabsalot
QUOTE (rmz @ Mar 23 2010, 07:06 PM) *

looool ken~

I remain SO HYPE for ssf4. Need to follow up on all the new info out there when I get a chance.. next week I actually have some proper time off, so if anyone wants to get some games innnnnnnn

Tried out PixelJunk Shooter, Wipeout Fury expansion and MM10 this weekend, and they are all pretty darn good. PJS has some engaging/fun dual thumb action and a great basic concept leading to clever, novel puzzles. The only thing I'm kind of on the fence about is the hunting for gems, which comes across as mechanical busywork. Fury is the hotness, and MM10 is mega man the tenth one
rmz
QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ Mar 23 2010, 10:28 PM) *
To be fair, there are people commenting like that in a lot of places. Then again, there are lots of stupid commenters everywhere you go anymore. And then I go on shoryuken, and there's just elitist pricks left and right. "You don't have any authority on this, because you're not [insert name here] or me, and we're the best [insert character here] players in the WORLD. So just shut up and get out of here." It always feels like it's hard to find good commenters anywhere.

While I do agree that there are a lot of elitist pricks on SRK, that quote is from Alex Valle who I probably would prefer to trust as a source of info on Ryu over RyuMaster157392. People who try to argue with top players on certain things (things that are based in fact, not simply matters of opinion) make me think of that old Spiral Zero/Ryry credentials thread.
sir nabsalot
QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ Mar 23 2010, 11:28 PM) *

avclub has some good discussions, by and large, but their game-related content is kind of token. Any public forum is gonna have lame commenters, the more you can stand sifting through it, the better I guess? Maybe just think of it as grinding for treasure and that's apparently fun for humans to do!
grayfox9996
QUOTE (rmz @ Mar 23 2010, 10:32 PM) *
While I do agree that there are a lot of elitist pricks on SRK, that quote is from Alex Valle who I probably would prefer to trust as a source of info on Ryu over RyuMaster157392. People who try to argue with top players on certain things (things that are based in fact, not simply matters of opinion) make me think of that old Spiral Zero/Ryry credentials thread.

Actually it was a Vega player I'm referring to (unless Valle plays Vega, too? I don't remember it being his username), which just goes to show how common that kind of sentiment comes across on shoryuken. There was some guy that was saying only he and Tatsu could say anything was and wasn't possible with Vega, and whether his ultra was good or not, and...a bunch of other stuff. Granted, there were some players that really didn't know what they were talking about in there, saying some things weren't possible when there's...you know, videos of people pulling that stuff off. But that attitude is kind of obnoxious, especially the way some of the people on there act like Street Fighter is/should be some elite club for only people that are good, and no one should even try to discuss strategy at all unless they're a pro giving some pearls of wisdom from on high.
rmz
Yeah, agreed. I also really hate whenever some random gaming site does a video walkthrough (or a live stream) and so many people just bitch that it's not pro players playing, and generally act completely unappreciative.
grayfox9996
QUOTE (rmz @ Mar 23 2010, 11:02 PM) *
Yeah, agreed. I also really hate whenever some random gaming site does a video walkthrough (or a live stream) and so many people just bitch that it's not pro players playing, and generally act completely unappreciative.

No kidding. I remember watching some streams for SF4, right around when the console versions were finishing up (might have been a review copy). So many people bitching about everything. Hell, even the streams for Evo had whiners whenever it wasn't fucking Daigo or JWong or Ed Ma or somebody else playing, insulting players directly, insulting their playing abilities...

Still not as bad as the Brawl early streams, though. The fucking Smash Bros. community is the pits.
Deets
Entitlement is a real bitch, yeah.

Eggman of the Strata
Atlus finally announced that they're working on Persona 5 but not what system it's for. I will laugh really really hard if it's for the Wii or PSP.

Which reminds me, I should probably find a way to play Strange Journey. It looks pretty cool.
Moogy
They'll never have to update their engine if they stick to underpowered systems!

Probably won't play Strange Journey myself because I thought the OST was pretty lackluster. Meguro isn't too good at straight orchestral stuff, he should stick to the fusion styles in P3/P4.

A friend of mine is making me play Zwei2, a Falcom RPG. Anyone else played it? the main girl is pretty hot
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (Moogy @ Mar 24 2010, 12:56 PM) *
A friend of mine is making me play Zwei2, a Falcom RPG. Anyone else played it? the main girl is pretty hot

I haven't played it yet either, but it's on my radar. I'm holding off until the English fan translation for Zwei 2 is done before playing it
From all that I've seen, it's your usual Falcom action RPG affair with a little more personality and humor ala Gurumin. All signs point to it being fun to play if nothing else.

Falcom-related: I wish someone would just announce a localization of Ys SEVEN already. I know it's gonna happen and I've been holding off on playing through Nightmare for the English release (mainly because unlike any other Ys game, Ys SEVEN is about 25-30 hours long), but I've been getting Ys SEVEN urges.
WILD RIDE
I'm having trouble caring about Strange Journey, because Devil Survivor was easily one of my favorite games on the DS and I still haven't even finished getting every route. Stupid Gin's route, forcing you to grind even when you've already beaten the game twice. Not cool.

I'm sure I'll get around to it though...or at least I'll get around to buying it, and then I'll play it for 10 hours and lose interest like with most RPGs. I've had a pretty good record with SMT so far, except for Persona PSP, which I still intend to get back to, but I say that about everything.
Axem Rangers
so what's with the cave story port
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Axem Rangers @ Mar 24 2010, 02:11 PM) *

It came out on Monday? Unlike Sadness.
Axem Rangers
I hear it's got a translation that wasn't made by 4chan or something so it's bad

I've never actually played it but I want to so what's up
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (Axem Rangers @ Mar 24 2010, 02:11 PM) *

It's out. it costs $12. It's the same as Cave Story PC. All the "new content" is laughable at best.

Rearranged music? IMO all worse than the original music
Redrawn art? Just same as the original just drawn at a higher resolution. Looks like crappy upscale->smooth job than anything. I can't say I like the new sprites either.. Curly's constant open-mouthed dumb grin is the biggest offender. You can change the stage tiles back to the original stuff, but all the sprites remain their new versions
Difficulty levels? Hard is just an enforced no health power up, no missile run. Hell, if I wanted to do that I could've done that in Normal! At least make it like Mega Man 10 that changes enemy and item locations and gives the bosses new attacks
Curly Mode? Exactly the same as the main game only now Curly quips during conversation instead of the silent hero. The worst case of lazy dialog changes is when you run into the hero protecting Mimigas in Sand Zone and Curly pretty much has a conversation with herself, including answering her own questions with Yes/No
Sacred Ground Time Attack? Every time you start a run you have to select which weapons to take with you from treasure boxes and sit through the "item get!" fanfare. And since this is Sacred Ground you'll prolly be restarting a lot and having to sit through the same item selection w/ fanfare each time. Brilliant!

So all the added features to the Wii version seem lazy, ill thought out, and half-assed. The only good thing is you now get 3 save slots instead of 1. I'd sooner recommend just playing the PC version and finding another way to donate money to the creator to show support instead of paying for half-assed ports and the Nintendo tax

EDIT: Oh and apparently typos and bad grammar galore in the Wii script. Unrelated, I can't believe I never noticed "General Maneger" before during the credits in Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
Axem Rangers
oh word
Buffalo
I wonder how well pirating the game and finding a way to send money to the creator works.
chotto kiitena
I bought it

The graphics are better but there's not much else to say about it, doesn't even have proper widescreen support

The menus are a joke, there's no way to go "back" and no way to return to the main menu from a game short of quitting back to the system menu and going back in (this is also the only way to access the options menu from a game)

did they spend like 2 years on this and never once have anyone playtest it or what
Mazrim
QUOTE (chotto kiitena @ Mar 24 2010, 04:55 PM) *
I bought it

The graphics are better but there's not much else to say about it, doesn't even have proper widescreen support

The menus are a joke, there's no way to go "back" and no way to return to the main menu from a game short of quitting back to the system menu and going back in (this is also the only way to access the options menu from a game)

did they spend like 2 years on this and never once have anyone playtest it or what

Well that sucks. Guess I'll pass. sad.gif
rmz
QUOTE (chotto kiitena @ Mar 24 2010, 03:55 PM) *

menus r hard
WILD RIDE
I bought Soul Calibur IV because it was only $20. So far it seems like it's just a worse version of 3, which was already worse than 2. (which was better than 1, regardless of what anybody says) Maybe I'll adjust, but so far I don't like what they've done to most of the characters moves, most of the levels are boring / redundant / really dark, there are no vs records AGAIN, and all of the female characters look like they're wearing a ridiculous amount of makeup. btns.gif

A new Fire Emblem needs to come out so I'll have new obscure boss characters to make in the character editor, because that amuses me.
spineshark
The best part of Soul Calibur IV is dressing everyone in nonsensical Baten Kaitos-esque outfits with random scarves and shit
Schlagwerk
So I'm playing though Cave Story on Curly mode.. I reload my latest save and I'm the hero instead of Curly? dry.gif
sir nabsalot
QUOTE (spineshark @ Mar 24 2010, 09:01 PM) *
The best part of Soul Calibur IV is dressing everyone in nonsensical Baten Kaitos-esque outfits with random scarves and shit

Playing dressup with your fight men is an inexplicably fun, great feature of Namco fighters. Just wish you didn't have to spend so much time unlocking stuff :x

I passed on SCIV since I didn't really know anyone who is into it, and I guess apparently the game doesn't hold up well at high-level play (sorry Alex Valle). STILL, it's a proper fighting game that's fun to play, and the newest one looks gorgeous (though as some people have pointed out, unforgivably gaudy). I'm a sucker for cheap gimmicks like playing as yoda/vader/heihachi/link
BBH
QUOTE (rmz @ Mar 23 2010, 10:02 PM) *

In the case of SSF4 it's pretty understandable though. Most of the people interested in Super are those that have been playing SF4 for a while, and those people want to know everything about how the new characters play, or what changes have been made to the old characters. Of course, when there's 35 characters in the game you really can't properly cover everyone, so someone's bound to be disappointed, but yeah... either way, what people want to see in an SSF4 stream is NEW stuff to whet their appetite for the game. Anyone who has interest in watching an SSF4 stream does not want to watch people who don't have that much prior experience with SF4 just mash around in Ryu vs. Ken matches or something.

In general though, most accompanying chatrooms for video streams (whether it's a new game preview or a tournament stream) are completely horrible and should be ignored, just like kotaku comments.

QUOTE (WILD RIDE @ Mar 24 2010, 06:52 PM) *
and all of the female characters look like they're wearing a ridiculous amount of makeup. btns.gif

and they all got boob jobs

oh hey, speaking of boobs, Mai confirmed to be in KOF 13. SNKP is apparently not as dumb as I thought. Yuri and King also in.

edit: nevermind
chotto kiitena
more persona 4 comic!! http://hiimdaisy.livejournal.com/27081.html
Mazrim
Talim is still hard to beat with anything on SCIV. sad.gif I enjoy playing as Darth Vader though, since I can just stay at range and kick her ass with force choke.
security tubbs
QUOTE (BBH @ Mar 25 2010, 03:00 AM) *
[...]King also in.

WHAT

WHERE IS THIS

YESSSSSSSS
Eggman of the Strata
According to GameStop's website, BlazBlue Continuum Shift is going to be $40, which is the right thing to do considering SSF4's $40 price tag.

I'm very nearly finished with everything that I want to do in FF13 (for now anyway). Maxed out characters, maxed out weapons for 3 characters, good accessories, and I'm coming up on having all of the missions done.
Jadin
how many hours is that?
Eggman of the Strata
83 or something right now. At least 5 hours are just me leaving it on while I eat or watch TV or something. Probably take me another 2 hours to get through the rest of the missions I have left.
spineshark
QUOTE (chotto kiitena @ Mar 25 2010, 07:45 AM) *
more persona 4 comic!!

FSTEAK
grayfox9996
Oh wow, I'm actually enjoying Bioshock 2. Single and multiplayer. I am thoroughly surprised by this fact - I guess that's what having very low expectations does for you!
WILD RIDE
The Persona 4 comic continues to amuse, although by the time it's finished I'll probably have forgotten everything that happened in the game.

So why does changing the color of a character's outfit in SCIV result in them losing half of their HP. And why is Tower of Souls so uninspired.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.