Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAME THREAD
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327
BLUST OF WIND
QUOTE (Mazrim @ Sep 5 2009, 04:39 PM) *
Whoa, they translated all the text for the 360 version of Ikaruga. Damn. sad.gif I play the Gamecube version.

Shit. must get.
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Sep 5 2009, 06:47 PM) *
Well, I just got the Ice Beam in Metroid Prime 1 and that puts me back pretty much where I was when I first played it. 7 energy tanks and 95 missiles. Not too shabby. I'm going to finish all three of them this time, no matter what. It helps that Metroid Prime is fantastic.

Yes, yes it does.

Still prefer the Gamecube version, though. Controls better (found the remote too finnicky for it - it feels different from Prime 3 for some reason), and, oddly enough, looks better. Who knows why. Oh and then there's that sequence breaking thing...
Eggman of the Strata
I'm still not getting why you're complaining about the controls. It works waaaaaaaay better than the GC controller ever did. I'm not sure what you mean by finicky though. Too touchy? Try and turn down the sensitivity of the sensor bar. I also didn't realize at first that locking meant that even if I was firing at something in free aim, the missile I fire would still go towards the locked on target. I mean, I'm actually scanning everything I come across this time just because I don't have stop, switch visor, scan, continue on. Same thing with the graphics too. Like, there's no difference at all that I've seen aside from some bloom lighting added here and there that changes next to nothing. And it has better load times where I don't just stand next to a door for 10 seconds wondering if the game glitched or something.

I'm really happy I traded in all of my old versions of the game. I got enough in credit just from them to get it for free. Ahhh I'm really tempted to jump ahead and play Prime 3 but NAY I must stay the course and play it all the way through.

I'm also still wondering what happened to that announcement that Nintendo had on the JP website for New Play Control Prime 2. It mentioned a Metroid game from the Pirates' perspective and that's clearly not Other M.

grayfox9996
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Sep 5 2009, 09:08 PM) *
I'm still not getting why you're complaining about the controls. It works waaaaaaaay better than the GC controller ever did. I'm not sure what you mean by finicky though. Too touchy? Try and turn down the sensitivity of the sensor bar. I also didn't realize at first that locking meant that even if I was firing at something in free aim, the missile I fire would still go towards the locked on target. I mean, I'm actually scanning everything I come across this time just because I don't have stop, switch visor, scan, continue on. Same thing with the graphics too. Like, there's no difference at all that I've seen aside from some bloom lighting added here and there that changes next to nothing. And it has better load times where I don't just stand next to a door for 10 seconds wondering if the game glitched or something.

I don't know, maybe I need to change the sensor bar's sensitivity. I've never had to for any other games, though, and Prime 3 worked perfectly for me - Prime just makes me turn WAY too slowly on the middle setting for sensitivity, and WAY too fast on Advanced, so I'm constantly going outside of the sensor bar's range even though I'm doing everything in my power to stay right inside of it, and then it'll take a few seconds to resync once I aim at the screen again, and THEN I have to move back up to the corner and get close enough to get it to start turning, finally. With the Gamecube controls, I could effortlessly (and instantly) turn exactly as I wanted to. Aiming was never an issue, thanks to the lock on, and even using the R button to manually aim took only a split second with practice (which is FAR less than going outside of the sensor bar - I've put nearly 10 hours into Prime, and I still run into that issue regularly when trying to quickly turn like I'm used to being able to do).

If there was a setting between Advanced and the middle one, where it would turn further from the edges of the screen but not WHENEVER THE HELL I AIM THE POINTER AWAY FROM THE CENTER then I'd be perfectly fine with it, and I'd deal with my minor issues otherwise. Those are mostly just a preference on having X/Y for missiles as opposed to down on the d-pad - it's difficult to hold down the wavebuster with that, and sometimes a super missile won't come out, etc. Also, I greatly prefer the d-pad on the Gamecube controller for visor switching and the C-stick for beam switching, because it's so much more accurate, doesn't force me to actually aim at what I want, and is just faster overall to use. Again, two things that I can at least deal with - and are likely just because I put 60+ hours into Prime with Gamecube controls and 10 with Wii controls. But the Wii remote doesn't feel natural for the game at all, even after those 10 hours.

The graphics could be my system starting to go (AGAIN), I don't know. It's mostly the blurry shit that I mentioned before, from when I turn, and I don't really notice any of the graphical updates that they mentioned. Load times ARE a big plus for the game, though, although those were mostly fixed with playing the game on the Wii, as far as I could tell.
spineshark
I guess babby can't handle Final Fantasy Chronicles

It's true, I just don't get FF really, I like the original SNES games for being breezy at least and don't see the point in grinding more =/ But I played SMT Nocturne on Hard the first time (bad idea hahaha) so it's not like I can't pull a masochistic streak when I want to
QUOTE (WILD RIDE @ Sep 5 2009, 12:33 PM) *
I did. I guess I'll consider that version. I'd still probably rather play the original, but my PSP still isn't hacked and probably never will be and I like my RPGs to be portable if possible. Too bad about the GBA version.

I actually think the Decant system or whatever they're called is pretty decent for the most part since the abilities you can move around are pretty interesting, but then they still had to tie a bunch of obtuse crap into it, continuing Square's long tradition of wanting you to buy strategy guides even though anybody with half a brain will have been using the internet for the past 10 years
Eggman of the Strata
QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ Sep 5 2009, 11:31 PM) *
I don't know, maybe I need to change the sensor bar's sensitivity. I've never had to for any other games, though, and Prime 3 worked perfectly for me - Prime just makes me turn WAY too slowly on the middle setting for sensitivity, and WAY too fast on Advanced, so I'm constantly going outside of the sensor bar's range even though I'm doing everything in my power to stay right inside of it, and then it'll take a few seconds to resync once I aim at the screen again, and THEN I have to move back up to the corner and get close enough to get it to start turning, finally. With the Gamecube controls, I could effortlessly (and instantly) turn exactly as I wanted to. Aiming was never an issue, thanks to the lock on, and even using the R button to manually aim took only a split second with practice (which is FAR less than going outside of the sensor bar - I've put nearly 10 hours into Prime, and I still run into that issue regularly when trying to quickly turn like I'm used to being able to do).

If there was a setting between Advanced and the middle one, where it would turn further from the edges of the screen but not WHENEVER THE HELL I AIM THE POINTER AWAY FROM THE CENTER then I'd be perfectly fine with it, and I'd deal with my minor issues otherwise. Those are mostly just a preference on having X/Y for missiles as opposed to down on the d-pad - it's difficult to hold down the wavebuster with that, and sometimes a super missile won't come out, etc. Also, I greatly prefer the d-pad on the Gamecube controller for visor switching and the C-stick for beam switching, because it's so much more accurate, doesn't force me to actually aim at what I want, and is just faster overall to use. Again, two things that I can at least deal with - and are likely just because I put 60+ hours into Prime with Gamecube controls and 10 with Wii controls. But the Wii remote doesn't feel natural for the game at all, even after those 10 hours.

The graphics could be my system starting to go (AGAIN), I don't know. It's mostly the blurry shit that I mentioned before, from when I turn, and I don't really notice any of the graphical updates that they mentioned. Load times ARE a big plus for the game, though, although those were mostly fixed with playing the game on the Wii, as far as I could tell.

Yeah I don't have any of those problems at all. I haven't had to repoint at the screen even once so far and I've been using Advanced the whole time and I have the sensitivity on the sensor bar at max. And changing visors is usually such a quick flick towards whichever one I want that I don't even notice it at all. If anything, for me, the Wiimote's the most natural possible controller they could use for it.
HYPER BOUNDARY GATE
QUOTE (spineshark @ Sep 6 2009, 05:42 AM) *
I actually think the Decant system or whatever they're called is pretty decent for the most part since the abilities you can move around are pretty interesting, but then they still had to tie a bunch of obtuse crap into it, continuing Square's long tradition of wanting you to buy strategy guides even though anybody with half a brain will have been using the internet for the past 10 years

While this may be true, FF games have pretty much always needed a guide to maximize your playing experience. IMO the only reason it feels weird at all to use one to get the most out of the Augment/Decant system is because I've played FF IV a million times and wouldn't really need a guide for the rest of it.

I definitely agree (with Eggman) that the difficulty was ramped up quite a bit. It almost feels like a MegaTen game near the end, where normal random encounters can wipe you out on turn 1 if you don't have a specific plan (usually revolving around Slow/Stop/Berserk)
Schlagwerk
I'm gonna post on a few things now and make an ass outta myself for not catching up on everything in this thread first.

I like Ikaruga. It's the only bullet hell game I've ever really enjoyed, but I've never really tried playing it for score.
QUOTE (Deets @ Sep 4 2009, 10:17 PM) *
Also you were totally right Schlagwerk; Oath in Felghana is a way rad game.

If you're only experiencing Felghana now, you've got to check out Ys Origin. I should check up on how those fan translations are going. Looks like two different groups are translating it concurrently due to personal differences. 11 days to Ys SEVEN.
QUOTE (spineshark @ Sep 5 2009, 01:58 AM) *
Darius Gaiden: BBH is right, if you haven't played the game you have to hear the music. I kinda prefer G-Darius' music a bit actually, because the last stage and boss tracks are so amazing, but it's not as consistent.

I AM ALIVE *piano riff*
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Sep 5 2009, 05:22 AM) *
FF4DS was awesome. The difficulty in that is probably higher than the original JP version.

Contra Rebirth is finally out for US WiiWare on Monday. A good way to celebrate Labor Day I think.

FF4DS is definitely harder in some spots than even the PSX version. What gets FF4 vets is the fact that these tough parts are in different sections than where they were before.. kinda

I saw Contra Rebirth at PAX and wasn't really diggin' it. The art style is very bright and cartoony. It reminded me of GBA games that adjusted their palette to be more visible.
I also played BIT.TRIP VOID and was disappointed. The focus was multiplayer and the theme is black and white. You control a growing black ball and have to collect black dots while avoiding white ones that scroll by the screen horizontally, vertically, diagonally, or any other kinda of fuckery that we've seen in other BIT.TRIP games. Grabbing black dots makes you bigger, making it harder/impossible to dodge white ones. Pressing A will bank your points and shrink you, but your score is based off of staying as large as you can for as long as you can while grabbing black dots. In multiplayer you race the other people to grab dots as they fly by. The game seemed to be less about rhythm and color this time and I didn't like that. It almost seemed too simplistic unless higher levels get radically different. Also someone told me that they'll keep making BIT.TRIP games as long as they keep selling and the devs come up with new gameplay ideas.
Eggman of the Strata
I'm pretty sure Contra Rebirth is supposed to just look like Contra 3 for the SNES, which it does.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Sep 7 2009, 04:34 AM) *
I'm pretty sure Contra Rebirth is supposed to just look like Contra 3 for the SNES, which it does.

No, it's far more cartoony and bright than Contra 3. Though whenever someone gets it, I'd like to know how many stages it has. One of the biggest disappointments in Gradius Rebirth was only 5 stages and how it made you loop the game 3 times to try to lengthen gameplay and hide the lack of stages.
One Niceass Individual
QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Sep 7 2009, 11:15 AM) *
No, it's far more cartoony and bright than Contra 3. Though whenever someone gets it, I'd like to know how many stages it has. One of the biggest disappointments in Gradius Rebirth was only 5 stages and how it made you loop the game 3 times to try to lengthen gameplay and hide the lack of stages.

oh, like super mario galaxy!
Deets
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Sep 7 2009, 05:34 AM) *

It's got badass FM arrangements of various Contra songs by Manabu Namiki too, tying back to... whenever we were talking about that dude.

Also schlag it's got 5 stages + final boss fight; the harder difficulties add suicide bullets from the enemies, stuff like that.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (Deets @ Sep 7 2009, 11:29 AM) *
It's got badass FM arrangements of various Contra songs by Manabu Namiki too, tying back to... whenever we were talking about that dude.

Also schlag it's got 5 stages + final boss fight; the harder difficulties add suicide bullets from the enemies, stuff like that.

I could barely hear shit in the Nintendo booth so I missed the music. I just caught a trailer now and the arrangements are pretty sweet.

Also suicide bullets... in MY Contra?!
WILD RIDE
What are suicide bullets?

I downloaded the game, and I've only made it to halfway through stage 3 so far, but I like it. I like the way it looks a lot too, aside from some of the CG that seems too advanced for the style they're going for.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (WILD RIDE @ Sep 7 2009, 01:00 PM) *
What are suicide bullets?

It's when an enemy fires bullets at you when you destroy them. Most commonly used in schmups. My first experience with 'em was Ikaruga on Normal or higher.
WILD RIDE
Oh, I hate those.
Schlagwerk
so Contra Rebirth is a comedy?
WILD RIDE
I just beat it, and I skipped all of the story parts until I saw the thing with Lance wearing a feather boa. I uh, guess I'll watch them next time.

It was no Contra 4 (the only one I've beaten...), but it was worth $10. Kind of anti-climactic. It seemed like the only really hard part was level 3's boss, and given how Contra 4 was I'm sure there's some dumb trick to making it a lot easier. Also, what's with the no high score entry.
THE SHINING POLARIS
hm I haven't played any shooters since sonic wings 2...
gameplay aside, which shooter has the prettiest hi-res graphics nowadays then?
Eggman of the Strata
Deathsmiles looks like it plays just like Progear or at least pretty similarly. Progear is awesome even though I'm absolutely terrible at it. I don't know how hard it is compared to other games though.

Also, despite Raiden 4 being pushed back, DLC for it already exists on XBox Live Marketplace. Oops.
Deets
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Sep 7 2009, 08:45 PM) *
Deathsmiles looks like it plays just like Progear or at least pretty similarly.

It doesn't, thankfully.

It's uh, more of a spiritual successor to Side Arms.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (WILD RIDE @ Sep 7 2009, 05:28 PM) *
I just beat it, and I skipped all of the story parts until I saw the thing with Lance wearing a feather boa. I uh, guess I'll watch them next time.

The whole game's tone is pretty tongue-in-cheek when you read all the story. Lance was just the most over the top part.
I still wanna know when Brownie became a fembot and face hugger rippoffs became tentacled brains with eyes. Overall the game does suffer from the same problem as Gradius Rebirth, it was headed in the right direction but then hit its $10 price point and stops at 5 levels. Are there any difference between choosing different characters or are they all the same? I was hoping they'd at least have different weapon sets like Contra Hard Corps.

Despite my obvious aversion to danmaku and moe, I think I'd actually buy Death Smiles if it came out in the US. I watched it for a bit at Otakon and was interested.
Theoretically Gay
SOOOO, Blaz Blue.

Just got it today. I was playing on maining Noel (after messing around with her a few times at University Pinball), but I realize now that outside of a *couple* tricky mixups and combos, she's absolutely the most boring character possible. After getting my ass handed to me royally by some random Rachel player though, I figured I try her out... after 20ish minutes in training mode and a few online matches, HOLY SHIT Rachel is fun. She feels like the strategy+setups of Testament combined with the freestyle rock-the-fuck-outness of Jam. I can't wait until I can actually land combos with her in a match!
WILD RIDE
Rachel is so confusing, I can't play her at all.

I haven't played in days. I wish I knew real people who cared about the game to motivate me to play it more.
grayfox9996
My roommate actually bought the game today (was going to get the PS3 Slim to go with it, but Best Buy is sold out everywhere apparently), and is going to attempt to learn Rachel. He kept asking me if I would play it with him, and I just said that I wouldn't nearly as much as I play Street Fighter, so it sounds like he's in the same boat as you, Wild Ride. Even if he DOES have Street Fighter, too, at least. But he's far more interested in BlazBlue than I (or most of our friends) will ever be.

Speaking of fighting games and segueing into SCIV, Hilde is a bitch haha. I've had so many people at work practically rage quit on me already, just from her amazing ring out combos. Still need to work on my game against Astaroth and Yoshimitsu, though - they're the two giving me the most trouble.
THE SHINING POLARIS
I don't have a 360, after a few hours on youtube Ibara looks like the prettiest PS2 shooter to me, I'm gonna try that out :]
BBH
QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Sep 7 2009, 08:29 PM) *
Despite my obvious aversion to danmaku and moe, I think I'd actually buy Death Smiles if it came out in the US. I watched it for a bit at Otakon and was interested.

Yes I could do without the whole goth loli thing too, but it does look like the most fun Cave game in years and I really would like to play it. Not enough to buy a Japanese 360 though.
WILD RIDE
I don't think anybody in this town likes fighting games in general. If they do they're all hiding out like punks. We had a Melee scene, and I think that's it.
chotto kiitena
On a plane at 4am:

Put that in your slowdown pipe and smoke it, TJB emot-colbert.gif

Actually I think it's the videos that cause the slowdown, not the notes. I'm guessing that is why the harder songs have basic slideshow BGs instead.

I tried hard (5 stars) and comboed up until I got a single Worst near the end due to pressing the button too lightly to register. Argh.

The one 7 star song is the only time I had to put the PSP down on a flat surface (instead of just holding it) to clear it. It has some nasty jackhammers.
TJB
QUOTE (chotto kiitena @ Sep 8 2009, 11:36 PM) *
Actually I think it's the videos that cause the slowdown, not the notes. I'm guessing that is why the harder songs have basic slideshow BGs instead.

Probably.

Have you watched a song in PV mode yet?
Eggman of the Strata
Metroid Prime marches along. I'm on my way to get the Phazon Suit and I'm at 74% items and 86% scans. And I already have four of the artifacts just due to me stumbling onto them randomly. I also didn't expect to find the Ice Spreader or Flamethrower so easily. I should be able to finish it tonight and start up Prime 2 tomorrow.
chotto kiitena
QUOTE (TJB @ Sep 8 2009, 08:41 PM) *
Probably.

Have you watched a song in PV mode yet?

Yeah, I don't remember what the framerate was like though.
Eggman of the Strata
So Sega's making a new HD 2D Sonic game for next year. If they get Naganuma to do the music, I am pretty sure I will explode with happy.
BBH
Contrary to what I'd read elsewhere, Raiden IV does indeed seem to be coming out this week and should be in some stores tomorrow. Huh.
chotto kiitena
Are Sega really cracking down on Project Diva videos on youtube? You know, that game based on a character who became hugely popular because of fan videos on video sharing sites? The mind boggles.
Bartz
I just started playing Yakuza. Wow, the writing is pretty good. I'm enjoying it a lot, oh, and apparently there's an escort service in the game.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (S.O.S. @ Sep 8 2009, 09:29 PM) *
Contrary to what I'd read elsewhere, Raiden IV does indeed seem to be coming out this week and should be in some stores tomorrow. Huh.

Oh yeah, that's what I need.. more video games to buy this week.
I finally broke down and bought some Wii Points for Phantasy Star and Contra Rebirth
Beatles Rock Band came out today
Muramasa came out yesterday (When I saw it at PAX I was hoping I still had a little time before release)
Raiden IV
Eggman of the Strata
My GameFly queue has a ridiculous 11 games on it. I almost never put anything over 2 in there just to ensure that I get what I want. At this point though, I'll just take whatever they give me.

I finished Metroid Prime 1. 10 hours, 13 minutes, 93% on both items and scans. Now, on to Metroid Prime 2!
Jadin
totally buying raiden 4 today, thanks for the heads up
rmz
Damn, last time I played a Raiden game was back on the PS1. Problem is, with as infrequently as I play shmups, I've been spoiled by things like Ikaruga being <$10 on XBL, and can't really see me paying full price for one.
Bartz
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Sep 9 2009, 10:45 AM) *
I finished Metroid Prime 1. 10 hours, 13 minutes, 93% on both items and scans. Now, on to Metroid Prime 2!

I was pretty hardcore with that game, getting 100% in 2:14-2:28 in a segmented run, and almost broke 2 hours in a non-segmented run.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (rmz @ Sep 9 2009, 02:48 PM) *
Damn, last time I played a Raiden game was back on the PS1. Problem is, with as infrequently as I play shmups, I've been spoiled by things like Ikaruga being <$10 on XBL, and can't really see me paying full price for one.

Just with shmups? Hell, I look at almost any release these days and go "$60 for that?!"
This most recently occurred with Beatles Rock Band and only 45 songs.
spineshark
It's $40, which is certainly still arguably a lot depending how into the genre you are, but certainly a good cut below full price.
Toph
Remember when every game was like $60 and we didn't care too much?

Geez.
chotto kiitena
BRAID FOR FIFTEEN DOLLARS?!

*pulls out pocket calculator*

Sorry, the Length to Price Quotient of this game is $3.75 per hour, and I only game for $3.50 an hour or less. Back to the bargain bin I go!
rmz
I buy lots and lots of games at full price -- just games that I'm going to play for longer than 2 hours. I don't play shooters that often, is all.
Deets
If you don't play shooters for longer than two hours, you might want to consider probing a little more deeply into the next one you play. Your choice, of course, but it might surprise you!
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (Toph @ Sep 9 2009, 06:55 PM) *

There weren't as many AAA titles coming out back then.. either that or your parents were paying for the games.

After CD-based games started coming out, I struggle to remember non-import games that I've paid $60 for before I got a 360.

Anyhow, my original comment was how all these DLC games make me feel like a cheap bastard when I see a normal release now.
WILD RIDE
QUOTE (Toph @ Sep 9 2009, 09:55 PM) *

Geez.

I don't. Unless you were talking about the N64, in which case I wasn't the one paying for most of the games back then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.