Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAME THREAD
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327
Moogy
QUOTE (Xythar @ Feb 25 2009, 03:24 PM) *
haha what they are as anime as 3d models can get

I couldn't find good model shots for the two bottom ones unfortunately.

Lymle (bottom left in that image) is easily the worst. Holy fuck, what the fuck were they thinking.

Also upon further inspection I think the original designs are actually pretty neat. The main dude's design is... pretty special though.
chotto kiitena
So they look the same (including the huge eyes) except that the 3D models have noses? I'm not sure I follow.
WILD RIDE
I think the problem is the combination of realistic faces, and anime eyes.
Darighaz
Yea they all look pretty much the same.

Well done whoever did the work biggrin.gif
Spiritsnare
QUOTE (WILD RIDE @ Feb 25 2009, 07:28 PM) *
I think the problem is the combination of realistic faces, and anime eyes.

Yeah, that creeped me the fuck out the first time I saw an SO4 trailer.
sir nabsalot
Except for the realistic shading and them having actual noses, I'd say it's pretty darned anime. Man, it must take hours for them to get dressed into those outfits, no wonder anime characters never change their clothes!
Schlagwerk
Even though I haven't been able to find enough time to finish an RPG since Xenosaga ep.3, Moogy has convinced me to enjoy and finish Star Ocean 4.. and I haven't even started playing it yet! btns.gif

On the other hand, Legacy of Ys is basically a bad game to anyone who isn't already a fan of the series and merely buying the game to support the franchise in the US. The PC versions are far better in every way, shape, and sound
For Ys I & II to be enjoyable to anyone who isn't already a fan, they need to be remade as fast-paced action RPGs like how Ys III was remade into Oath in Felghana
over there
QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Feb 25 2009, 11:28 PM) *
Even though I haven't been able to find enough time to finish an RPG since Xenosaga ep.3, Moogy has convinced me to enjoy and finish Star Ocean 4.. and I haven't even started playing it yet! btns.gif

On the other hand, Legacy of Ys is basically a bad game to anyone who isn't already a fan of the series and merely buying the game to support the franchise in the US. The PC versions are far better in every way, shape, and sound
For Ys I & II to be enjoyable to anyone who isn't already a fan, they need to be remade as fast-paced action RPGs like how Ys III was remade into Oath in Felghana

I wanted to try some Ys recently, specifically the first game and then maybe the next 2 or 3 if that's good. I've heard there are updated versions on PC but I'm not sure if they're translated and released here, fan-translated, if they're in some special anthology or what :< What's the best way to play Ys 1 in your opinion?
Deets
The PC Engine remake is still pretty much what you want to play. If you have a wii, it's like $8 on the virtual console I think?
over there
QUOTE (Deets @ Feb 25 2009, 11:43 PM) *
The PC Engine remake is still pretty much what you want to play. If you have a wii, it's like $8 on the virtual console I think?

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (osrg @ Feb 25 2009, 08:38 PM) *
I wanted to try some Ys recently, specifically the first game and then maybe the next 2 or 3 if that's good. I've heard there are updated versions on PC but I'm not sure if they're translated and released here, fan-translated, if they're in some special anthology or what :< What's the best way to play Ys 1 in your opinion?

The best way to play Ys 1 & 2 is the PC versions. There is a full fan translation for both of them, and a nice little patch that overwrites the blah midi music with versions from the Super Arrange Album (and if a Super Arrange version of that song does not exist, then it uses the TG-CD arrangement)
If interested, I can probably dig them all up for you as I've long since lost the website(s) I got them from

btw, Ys I-II COMPLETE (the PC versions) are better than the TG-16 version IMO
Spiritsnare
So I'm playing SO1 because I want to play it in release order (because I've never played a Star Ocean game!) using the DeJap translation

Is it me or is it really cheesy at points like "ooh space is pretty it looks like a S T A R . . . O C E A N."
Bartz
Why aren't you playing the PSP remake?
chotto kiitena
Holy fucking shit my SO4 shipped ahead of schedule biggrin.gif

Won't get it til early next week, but still biggrin.gif
Eggman of the Strata
QUOTE (Spiritsnare @ Feb 26 2009, 02:48 AM) *
So I'm playing SO1 because I want to play it in release order (because I've never played a Star Ocean game!) using the DeJap translation

Is it me or is it really cheesy at points like "ooh space is pretty it looks like a S T A R . . . O C E A N."

I would also say that you should play the remake.

That said, SO's always been like pulp era early sci-fi like that mixed with humor. Sort of like a JP version of original Star Trek. It has its serious points, but it's still cheesy and such.

SO4 is making me lose sleep. Fighting is so much fun and the story's neat and the private actions are funny.
djplaeskool
Has a little sit-down time with SO4 at a friend's place...
it seems to suffer from Grandia-2-and-up syndrome ...pretty fun gameplay coupled with characters I'd like to kick in the teeth for reasons I can't explain...
Eggman of the Strata
You have to actually play it more, man. Aside from Lymle, everyone's been pretty freaking awesome. Especially Bacchus.
Jadin
QUOTE (djplaeskool @ Feb 26 2009, 07:11 AM) *
it seems to suffer from Grandia-2-and-up syndrome ...pretty fun gameplay coupled with characters I'd like to kick in the teeth for reasons I can't explain...

ohh I thought you were going to say Grandia-2 syndrome ...game holds your hand and gives you hp/mp refills every 5 steps and you beat the game without using an item on your first playthrough

I don't think I've beaten any of the star oceans yet but I'm slowly working on the 2nd one for psp. Are the stories linked together somehow or are they independent from each other?
Eggman of the Strata
Kind of both really. SO4 takes place before the other games and it clearly shows the beginning of the SO universe and all that. And you go to a bunch of places that have to do with the other games. But the stories can also be seen completely independently. SO1 and SO2 most definitely are connected though as one of the main characters in 1 is the father of the main character in 2 and he shows up during some story scenes and you probably noticed the ending of 1 at the beginning of 2 with the anime fight scene thing.
djplaeskool
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Feb 26 2009, 09:20 AM) *
You have to actually play it more, man. Aside from Lymle, everyone's been pretty freaking awesome. Especially Bacchus.

I was beginning to want to...but since I don't own a 360, I'm having to divorce myself from the wanton to keep playing. I should be getting Shining Force Feather pretty soon...hopefully that provides adequate distraction...
briankun
QUOTE (djplaeskool @ Feb 26 2009, 09:11 AM) *
pretty fun gameplay coupled with characters I'd like to kick in the teeth for reasons I can't explain...

Grandia 2 didn't really do that to me... however Grandia 3 is a completely different story... mad.gif
djplaeskool
QUOTE (briankun @ Feb 26 2009, 10:14 AM) *
Grandia 3 is a completely different story... mad.gif

yeah seriously...
for G3, replace kick with pistol whip...
mmmmm...pistol whip...

anyways, it's quite a shame...as the original Grandia is one of my favorite RPGs of all time...
briankun
QUOTE (djplaeskool @ Feb 26 2009, 10:21 AM) *
anyways, it's quite a shame...as the original Grandia is one of my favorite RPGs of all time...

I really need to find a copy of Grandia 1... because I've heard nothing but good things about it.
rmz
Grandia 1 is pretty great, but I haven't ever actually managed to finish it yet. I've tried a few times, though...it's just so long and hasn't aged particularly well (voice acting and graphics in particular). I probably should actually try to finish it, though.

And despite the plot being relatively cliched on the surface, it still comes across as pretty "fresh" to me because it changes just enough things around to make it feel original. And pretty meta too omg
briankun
QUOTE (rmz @ Feb 26 2009, 11:45 AM) *
...it still comes across as pretty "fresh" to me because it changes just enough things around to make it feel original.

I think that's what I loved about Grandia 2... It took a lot of elements about JRPGs that I didn't care for at the time and had a fighting system that was refined enough to really catch my attention... Is the fighting system pretty much the same in Grandia 1?

...and now I want to go play Grandia... haha
rmz
I haven't played Grandia 2 but Grandia 1's fighting system is a cross between turn-based and real-time; movement takes time and you can interrupt enemies' attacks while they're in process, but time still stops for you to enter commands. It's one of the better parts of the game.
Moogy
Just a general warning. No one should ever play Grandia 3. It's basically abhorrent on every level.

Grandia XxXxTrEmE is also pretty bad, if I remember correctly. And it has an awful title, geez.

Hmm. Looking at random promo art for Grandia, it appears to be another great example of a series with charming 2D designs devolving into ugly 3D shit.

Man. More games need to have 3D graphics like Wild ARMs 3, Tales of Vesperia, and Valkyria Chronicles.
deathrazor
QUOTE (rmz @ Feb 26 2009, 11:45 AM) *
graphics

this doesnt stop people fangaying over FF7
djplaeskool
QUOTE (Moogy @ Feb 26 2009, 12:18 PM) *
Grandia XxXxTrEmE is also pretty bad, if I remember correctly. And it has an awful title, geez.

At least Grandia Xtreme knew what it was.
Bad story, poorly developed characters, but an awesomely streamlined version of the Grandia combat system and a boatload of huge dungeons to almost endlessly crawl. I thought it was more of an MMO than .hack// was...

QUOTE (Moogy @ Feb 26 2009, 12:18 PM) *
Man. More games need to have 3D graphics like ... Valkyria Chronicles.

Seeing Valkyria Chronicles makes me fervently wish SEGA would make a new Strategy-RPG type Shining Force game with that art style...
Schlagwerk
Sirlin doesn't know the difference between "easily accessable" and "deep mechanics"

Sirlin complains about how reviewers are touting SFIV as simple and beginner friendly despite it having 2 super gauges, LP + LK to throw, a 3lv parry system, etc
I mean.. SFII must not be simple then because it has combos, cross-overs, dizzies, and yomi! OMG!!

SFIV is beginner friendly or else we wouldn't see everyone and their kid brother picking up a controller and playing as Ken/Ryu/Akuma. All the complexity that Sirlin mentions is actually what keeps the game interesting to more advanced players as well as differentiates SFIV from SFII (besides 3D graphics and a morbidly obese American). This is opposed to a game like FU/C or Killer Instinct where you have to memorize combos before you can even think about playing..

David "I-made-that-game-that-dropped-severely-in-popularity-now-that-SFIV-is-out" Sirlin
rmz
QUOTE (Moogy @ Feb 26 2009, 10:18 AM) *
Man. More games need to have 3D graphics like Valkyria Chronicles.

I would not disagree with this
WILD RIDE
QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Feb 26 2009, 12:49 PM) *
Sirlin doesn't know the difference between "easily accessable" and "deep mechanics"

Sirlin complains about how reviewers are touting SFIV as simple and beginner friendly despite it having 2 super gauges, LP + LK to throw, a 3lv parry system, etc
I mean.. SFII must not be simple then because it has combos, cross-overs, dizzies, and yomi! OMG!!

SFIV is beginner friendly or else we wouldn't see everyone and their kid brother picking up a controller and playing as Ken/Ryu/Akuma. All the complexity that Sirlin mentions is actually what keeps the game interesting to more advanced players as well as differentiates SFIV from SFII (besides 3D graphics and a morbidly obese American). This is opposed to a game like FU/C or Killer Instinct where you have to memorize combos before you can even think about playing..

David "I-made-that-game-that-dropped-severely-in-popularity-now-that-SFIV-is-out" Sirlin

He had some pretty good points, if you ask me. Not saying I agreed with all of them.
Deets
QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Feb 26 2009, 10:49 AM) *

I don't know if that's warranted, though. The past few times I've played SFIV I've ended up thinking about how I'd probably have rather played HD Remix. If they get that patch out and online stat-tracking, I think a lot of people will ende up preferring HDR.

groaaaaan

If HD Remix had like, stupidly easy inputs for special moves like SFIV and easier link timing, then he'd be 100% spot-on.
Spiritsnare
QUOTE (Bartz @ Feb 26 2009, 01:28 AM) *
Why aren't you playing the PSP remake?

I want to play it the way it was originally done. :> I plan to play the remake, though, whenever I'm not broke as hell.
chotto kiitena
I love Grandia 3 so much that I imported the original Japanese version, beat that (which took like 60 hours because I am very slow at japanese) then when the US version came out I beat that as well to find out what actually happened in the story btns.gif

The graphics in that game were absolutely breathtaking at the time and the combat system was the most fun evolution of the Grandia battle style yet. Grandia Xtreme was a lot of fun as well, I love that whole series so much.
Eggman of the Strata
Grandia 3's a good game because it looked great, sounded great and had a super awesome battle system. I'm still saved in some jungle going to somewhere that's sort of near the end of the game and I was really underleveled or something because normal battles were really hard.

I've never played Extreme but I know it has Mark Hamil as a voice actor so that's pretty awesome.

Grandia 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games.

SO4 is quickly jumping up the ranks.
djplaeskool
Grandia on the whole is an incredible series...

Which was why I was pumped when Grandia Online was announced like...4 years ago...
and subsequently disappointed when it faded into oblivion...
It's odd though...that after GungHo was given the development rights, they've refused entirely to say it'd been cancelled...but 3 years of silence is kind of telling... sad.gif

Sucks too, since it was based on the era prior to the events of Grandia I...
Stuff like the fall of the spirit civilizations and the rise of the Garlyle military and such.
chotto kiitena
Yeah Grandia 3 was really challenging as well and that was neat. That boss that was a bunch of stones that rearranged shape (forgot its name) and the last boss were both really tricky and that's good (even if I got a bit frustrated at the time) because challenge is something the Grandia series always sorely needed. Even Grandia Xtreme wasn't really very tough.
Schlagwerk
I only got 34 minutes into SO4 before I found one character that I already want to mute. I could give less of a shit if she actually has some animu "deep character" or not, the voice, her animations, and her line delivery almost made me turn off the system there

..and the first 30-odd minutes were spent just trying out the battle system since I never played a Star Ocean game before (and I liked it)

I also got a good laugh at Ys I DS attempting to length Ys I even more by adding a completely out of place dungeon that has a boss that kills you in one if you screw up his pattern at all. The biggest tease was I thought it was gonna change Sarah's plot or elaborate more upon her death.. but no.. you finish it, you go back to town, some guy tells you she was murdered and the whole game continues like that new dungeon never occurred
Eggman of the Strata
It's either Welch or Reimi and both of them are voice by Laura Bailey so I don't know man. Welch sounds damn near exact how she does in the JP voices and Reimi's so unobtrusive in general that I don't know how anyone could complain about her so I'd guess it's Welch and it's because she's super energetic and fairly high-pitched. But you can really blame that on attempting to stay as close to the original as possible.
Schlagwerk
Ah yes, it's Welch. Can't miss a name like that
By your description then I'd hate the fucking character in Japanese or English, so it works out. I just hate Welch
grayfox9996
The Let's Tap soundtrack is going to remain intact in the US version.

Okay, yeah, I'm definitely going to have to pick this game up. It sounds like they're actually making the US version the same as the Japanese version. If the lower price point is true, then that's an even BETTER reason.
Eggman of the Strata
Hooray for Let's Tap.

In other news god DAMN IT I knew it was too good to be true. There I am playing Star Ocean 4, enjoying the entire game when I meet a new character who I'm pretty sure is voiced by the person who did Farleen in SO3. Ugh. Well, at least that's the only black spot for me so far.
Axem Rangers
QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:07 PM) *
The Let's Tap soundtrack is going to remain intact in the US version.

Okay, yeah, I'm definitely going to have to pick this game up. It sounds like they're actually making the US version the same as the Japanese version. If the lower price point is true, then that's an even BETTER reason.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh im so stoked
Schlagwerk
I used to say that playing through Ys I took 4 hours, but it looks like I was being generous with that estimation..
I just completed Ys I DS in 3 hours, 20 minutes on Nightmare, and that's with the extra DS-only dungeon. And they were selling this game alone at full price in Japan?! Also if this was a Metroid game, I would've have gotten the best ending ;A;
DS Nightmare does NOT equal PC Nightmare. The bat boss and Dark Fact are both luck in PC Nightmare and on DS they're pretty damned easy

Oh well, on to Ys II DS!
Jadin
my friend was playing this star ocean 4 game and I asked him to show me the options and they had options for turning on/off individual battle voices, as well as cutscene voice volume levels and stuff like that and I thought that was really neat because man those voices are loud and annoying
Deets
Does it have POISON PILL
Jadin
nothing has poison pill >:(
Eggman of the Strata
Tried out the first level of House of the Dead: Overkill. First stage was a good 15-20 minutes in length with what looked like a great amount of secrets I was not quick enough to hit. The throwbacks to old horror movies and stuff are great. G is awesome.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Mar 1 2009, 03:27 PM) *
G is awesome.

As expected

One question about the gameplay: Does it play like a "point & shoot" light gun game or a "move the cursor around" Wii light gun game?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.