Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAME THREAD
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327
Eggman of the Strata
QUOTE (Mazrim @ Jan 19 2009, 10:14 PM) *
I guess I should download that someday, the Nintendo Channel. I thought it was just a clever nintendo advertising service with only videos.

It's very helpful for release dates and videos of games I never would've heard of otherwise. As for DS demos, they've had some pretty good ones. Contra 4, Ninja Gaiden, the new Elebits, the DS Prince of Persia, Lock's Quest (which is an awesome tower defense game) and Big Bang Mini just to name a few.

I really don't know why people don't have it.
Jadin
WELP I looked up stuff and apparently they fixed up quake 3 to be really amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfaQJuWGvU seems like it basically plays like quakeworld
I might get back into this :>
am I the only quake fan here
rmz
QUOTE (Jadin @ Jan 19 2009, 11:33 PM) *
WELP I looked up stuff and apparently they fixed up quake 3 to be really amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfaQJuWGvU seems like it basically plays like quakeworld
I might get back into this :>
am I the only quake fan here

wow who "fixed" what up and when EDIT: oh I see awesome

I won a local Q3A tournament once, although that was in 2001 IIRC so my skills are probably gone. I have been meaning to break those games out again sometime, actually. Too busy with other stuff programmin lately though so it might have to wait a couple weeks :<
BBH
QUOTE (sir nabsalot @ Jan 18 2009, 09:56 PM) *
He doesn't have the guts to care. Also, congrats :> You are a stone's throw from 1 Billion now!

100 mil is a tiny bit more than a stone's throw from a billion... if it was that simple, one of us would be there by now btns.gif

QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ Jan 18 2009, 10:26 PM) *
Haha I knowwww I was so disappointed with myself when I died at 100 million, I knew I could keep going but I got too nervous and freaked out that I finally got THAT far.

Yes, and the worst part about that feeling is that the longer you survive the higher the scoring rate gets, especially in Pacifism where one extra gate can have a huge impact on your score. I always get a little nervous and keep checking my score instead of staying focused on herding the enemies around... oh well.

Keep it up!
Bartz
QUOTE (Xythar @ Jan 19 2009, 09:21 PM) *
Just a guess but I think it might actually be free for ATI Radeon customers.

If you bothered to read past the headline, it goes to a link on their site saying NVidia customers can get into it as well.
sir nabsalot
QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ Jan 18 2009, 11:26 PM) *
Haha I knowwww I was so disappointed with myself when I died at 100 million, I knew I could keep going but I got too nervous and freaked out that I finally got THAT far.

QUOTE (BBH @ Jan 20 2009, 03:25 AM) *
Yes, and the worst part about that feeling is that the longer you survive the higher the scoring rate gets, especially in Pacifism where one extra gate can have a huge impact on your score. I always get a little nervous and keep checking my score instead of staying focused on herding the enemies around... oh well.

Keep it up!

Man I have the same problem. If your attention wanes for any length of time, the game punishes you brutally :<

QUOTE (BBH @ Jan 20 2009, 03:25 AM) *
100 mil is a tiny bit more than a stone's throw from a billion... if it was that simple, one of us would be there by now btns.gif

Oho, well in my metaphor I didn't mention that it is a big stone you are throwing :btnsssss:

But seriously, the difference in skill level or tactical understanding between getting 100M vs 1000M isn't that huge, it's this bedeviling problem of consistency when every little twitchy choice seems to matter so much, and every success conspires to undermine you (the flashy, blindingly bright colors when a gate explodes, the increasing score bonuses, the rush of having made it so far, etc) and derail your ever-important focus on the game itself.

In fact, GW2 seems thoroughly saturated with this kind of thing. I'd say most of my deaths happen because my attention was on one thing when REALLY it should be on something else. On the other hand, sometimes I know exactly what I'm doing but fuck up anyway? I don't know, it's confusing. The game pits you against yourself. It's hard to isolate exactly why you're failing and learn from your mistakes.
rmz
Just got an announcement about Class of Heroes...seems kind of like Etrian Odyssey with a twist, and for the PSP. I've got high hopes for this one.
WILD RIDE
Only 2 genders? Pass.
rmz
QUOTE (WILD RIDE @ Jan 20 2009, 02:05 PM) *
Only 2 genders? Pass.

I hear that loli characters don't even give you a stat bonus

the nerve
security tubbs
QUOTE (rmz @ Jan 20 2009, 12:26 PM) *
Just got an announcement about Class of Heroes...seems kind of like Etrian Odyssey with a twist, and for the PSP. I've got high hopes for this one.

And in a similar note, if any of you EO fans haven't heard of The Dark Spire, this is a title you may be interested in! Especially for the "old-school" mode you can toggle.
Eggman of the Strata
I started playing Star Ocean: Second Departure and oh my goooooood I had totally forgotten how BORING the beginning is. SOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOW. I'm sad they changed the battle voices though. Hopefully bosses are the same because if Spicule guy is different, someone will die. I need my "AREN'T YOU COLD?!" " IT'S SO HOT I'M GOING TO DIE" "I WILL WARM YOU UP TO YOUR BONES" "IT'S HOT OHOHOHOHOHOHO" "AAGGGGGGHHHGHGHHGHHGHHHHHHHHHHGHGHHGHGH"

Still, I plan on playing it and stealing the Marvel Sword and all that. It's such a fun game after the beginning.
Jadin
let me know if they still have POISON PILL please :>

also you said that locks quest game was good but in fact I tried it and it was really bad! hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Tropical Pallete
Damn Mega Man 9 is hard! I got Game Overs in all 8 levels so far in my first session. I forgot how much I suck at this series.
security tubbs
QUOTE (Jadin @ Jan 20 2009, 09:24 PM) *
also you said that locks quest game was good but in fact I tried it and it was really bad! hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sounds right. I know I was looking forward to playing a tower defense game with a side of "shitty Landstalker clone".
Eggman of the Strata
QUOTE (Jadin @ Jan 20 2009, 11:24 PM) *
let me know if they still have POISON PILL please :>

nah it's a cool game

did you try the whole demo because it's like 3 hours long
jiano
is banjo 3 any good? how would I even get an xbox though mellow.gif are they feasible to rent?
rmz
There are much better reasons to get/rent an xbox than banjo 3 of all things
jiano
like wat
Eggman of the Strata
If you want a regular Banjo platformer, stay away from Nuts & Bolts. It's much more of a racing game than anything else. Every challenge is timed and you almost always either have to outrace someone or run to somewhere, pick something up and bring it back.
HAPPY☆ANGEL
like anyone would wanna play a Banjo game after hits like Banjo Tooie and Grunty's Revenge
Eggman of the Strata
I don't remember anything from Tooie except at some point I turned into a washing machine, possibly in some sort of carnival stage?

chotto kiitena
QUOTE (rmz @ Jan 21 2009, 12:54 PM) *
There are much better reasons to get/rent an xbox than banjo 3 of all things

yeah don't forget bullet witch and vampire rain
PkerUNO
I just dinged 80 too! \o/

grayfox9996
QUOTE (PkerUNO @ Jan 21 2009, 06:41 PM) *
ding

grats
rmz
I would but I only sign on to WoW like once every two weeks now...it's still fun, but in very short concentrated one-day sessions.

I think I'm still 73 :<
PkerUNO
Also, whoever put Michael Caine as a voice option in Saints Row 2 deserves a medal. That and the "wanker" animation. biggrin.gif
Eggman of the Strata
I still need to get around to trying Saints Row 2 out. It's not going to happen any time soon though. Street Fighter 4 and the FightPad come first and then Star Ocean 4 and those will last me for quite a while. I am becoming more and more excited for SF4.

I just hope Cammy actually has good matchups. It looks like her Spinning Knuckle still goes through fireballs and now has much larger range. Cannon Drill looks like it's less punishable now too.
grayfox9996
Yeah Cammy and Fei Long look pretty godly, although the matchups I've seen between the two makes it seem like Cammy has a MASSIVE advantage over Fei Long in range and priority (which makes sense on the former, but really, a Bruce Lee knockoff having less priority than...well, anybody?). And Dan looks insanely fun to play as, as always, so he'll probably be one of my mains. I could care less about the other console exclusives, though. tongue.gif

And I guess I'm going with the $80 Mad Catz stick, because the $150 Tournament Edition stick is unavailable everywhere that I've seen. If anybody knows where I can find one, please let me know!
Schlagwerk
Screw February

Ys DS
that Fire Emblem 1 remake for the DS
Star Ocean 4 (which I'm only interesting in playing because every screen I've see so far reminds me so much of Phantasy Star)
Street Fighter IV (I'm so gonna main El Fuerte)

...at least I know Ys will only take like 10 hours or so btns.gif
BBH
QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ Jan 21 2009, 07:13 PM) *
Yeah Cammy and Fei Long look pretty godly, although the matchups I've seen between the two makes it seem like Cammy has a MASSIVE advantage over Fei Long in range and priority (which makes sense on the former, but really, a Bruce Lee knockoff having less priority than...well, anybody?).

I kinda doubt Fei Long is going to be good because he sucks in every game he's in sad.gif Not impossible to win with, but you have to work your ass off. He's the only character in STHD I'm absolutely sure is bottom tier.

Cammy could be decent, I hear her hooligan grab is retardedly slow though. Rose looks like she could be the best of the new characters, that Sham-Wow Ultra outprioritizes EVERYTHING
Buffalo
Wow, star ocean 4 comes out next month?

Holy shit.
grayfox9996
QUOTE (BBH @ Jan 22 2009, 11:33 PM) *
I kinda doubt Fei Long is going to be good because he sucks in every game he's in sad.gif Not impossible to win with, but you have to work your ass off. He's the only character in STHD I'm absolutely sure is bottom tier.

That sucks. sad.gif I thought I was just terrible with him. I'm terrible with Zangief, T. Hawk, and Balrog, as well, and I know THEY are good.

Cammy could be decent, I hear her hooligan grab is retardedly slow though. Rose looks like she could be the best of the new characters, that Sham-Wow Ultra outprioritizes EVERYTHING

Goddamn Rose. The character I'm LEAST interested in off of the roster. I guess if she's more interesting than she was in Alpha then that's good, but...I'll have to see that to believe it. Sakura's cool I guess (she was really fun in CVS2), and I hardly remember Gen, but Rose always annoyed me. Her character design, fighting style...everything. Oh well.

I'm wondering if Gouken, Akuma, and Seth will be "boss" characters, or if they'll be legitimate fighters. I'm sure Seth won't...but I'd like to not see three characters that will be banned from tournaments for being broken (just "boss" versions of them for the arcade mode, of course, like Akuma in STHD and God Rugal and Shin Akuma from CVS2).
Eggman of the Strata
Seth's playable version is toned down apparently. He dizzies very easily too.

Gouken has the same horrible defense as Akuma so he shouldn't be too bad.

BBH
Seth sounds broken on paper just going by his movelist - a sonic boom done by qcf+P and a regular DP, special grab that sucks them in from long range and lets him combo after, Dhalsim's standing fierce, etc etc. But supposedly the playable version of him takes damage like a little girl, but I don't know if that's enough to balance him out.

Akuma's been playable in the arcade version for some time, he's not banned anywhere, so he's legitimate.

As for all of the other new characters, it's really too early to say, we're going to have to wait and see the final version before judgment can be passed on all of this. (some of the reviewable copies that some sites have apparently isn't final, from what I've heard)
Jadin
speaking of fighting games, I just got a mostly new computer and 2df/ggpo work relatively well again :>
let me know if anyone wants to play street fighter, pleeease (or teach me a new game)
over there
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Jan 21 2009, 12:08 PM) *
If you want a regular Banjo platformer, stay away from Nuts & Bolts. It's much more of a racing game than anything else. Every challenge is timed and you almost always either have to outrace someone or run to somewhere, pick something up and bring it back.

Thank god, this means I don't have to buy an xbox.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (Jadin @ Jan 23 2009, 05:33 AM) *
speaking of fighting games, I just got a mostly new computer and 2df/ggpo work relatively well again :>
let me know if anyone wants to play street fighter, pleeease (or teach me a new game)

Maybe time for me to start playing FHD online again...

And Fei Long has to be bottom tier in STHD because he was the character I originally wanted to main.. and I have a history of unintentionally selecting the worst characters as my first picks
Moogy
ar tonelico 2 undub キタ

Unfortunately, while hackers can restore the ~50% or so of Japanese audio that NISA deleted for no reason, they cannot fix the incredibly shitty localization.

AT2 is basically the worst commercial localization in quite a while ~_~

EDIT: Well there's Alter Code F
Eggman of the Strata
The voices were deleted because a DVD doesn't have room for the game and two vocal tracks. It's the same with Persona 3 and 4. The JP version takes up the entire disc. It's pretty hard to add a large volume of voice data to something that's already full.

And thank god they had to delete some of the voices out of AT2. The game loads for a second whenever someone talks and it's really annoying. If there's less talking, I'm all for it.

Also, the most recent worst localization is pretty obviously Chaos Wars and it's always going to be the worst. The lack of punctuation is on a level with Breath of Fire 2.
Moogy
There's enough space for the entirety of both tracks on the ISO. I've checked it myself and the undub includes both.

NISA is just incredibly incompetent.
Eggman of the Strata
Or they like to save money, which is probably very true!
Moogy
Haha. So now "saving money" entails releasing an incredibly shitty product that does nothing except piss everyone off?

The missing voices are only half the issue. The other part of it is the fact that the script was obviously not QCed in any significant manner. It's full of borderline Engrish, bad/wrong translations, bizarre localization fuckery, name changes, and other bullshit.

In other words NISA is incompetent.
Eggman of the Strata
Oh, well, I bet they're very sorry they didn't consult you!

wait why do you care anyway? you didn't buy it.
Moogy
I care because I would have bought it if they hadn't fucked it up badly.

Unfortunately I don't feel like paying for something significantly below the level of that which I could produce myself~

Somebody feel like finding me a translator for a retranslation of AT2?~
rmz
QUOTE (Moogy @ Jan 23 2009, 02:45 PM) *
Unfortunately I don't feel like paying for something significantly below the level of that which I could produce myself~

You can make video games?

Somebody feel like finding me a translator for a retranslation of AT2?~

I thought you just said you could do it yourself
Moogy
Yes. Given a translator, I can produce a localization which is of professional quality - which NISA's release is not.

I have enough connections to get all of the other staff quite easily, you see.

Unfortunately AT2 is a pretty big game and the (x) amount of translators I could ask for this project specifically are probably not interested in doing it.
Buffalo
I've got your picture of me and you
You wrote "I love you" I wrote "me too"
I sit there staring and there's nothing else to do
Oh it's in color Your hair is brown
Your eyes are hazel And soft as clouds
I often kiss you when there's no one else around

I've got your picture, I've got your picture
I'd like a million of you all round my cell
I want a doctor to take your picture
So I can look at you from inside as well
You've got me turning up and turning down
And turning in and turning 'round

I'm turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so

I've got your picture, I've got your picture
I'd like a million of them all round my cell
I want the doctor to take a picture
So I can look at you from inside as well
You've got me turning up and turning down and turning in and turning 'round

I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so

No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women
No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark
Everyone around me is a total stranger
Everyone avoids me like a cyclone ranger
That's why I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so

Turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
(think so think so think so)
Turning Japanese
I really think so
Darighaz
If it bugs you so damn much, play with mute on.

Can you possibly be a bigger japanophile? You cant even understand the shit, why do you want to hear vocals in a language you cant understand?
rmz
QUOTE (Moogy @ Jan 23 2009, 02:47 PM) *
Yes. Given a translator, I can produce a localization which is of professional quality

This is like saying "given a software architect and a team of programmers, I can produce an operating system which is superior to Windows."

Don't give yourself too much credit for the ability to hire other people to do your work for you, bud.
HAPPY☆ANGEL
QUOTE (Moogy @ Jan 23 2009, 05:35 PM) *
Haha. So now "saving money" entails releasing an incredibly shitty product that does nothing except piss everyone off?

If by "everyone" you mean "obese, splotchy nerds that obsess over the voice actors in hentai games and take the plotlines of hentai games seriously," then yeah, they must have pissed off everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.