Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAME THREAD
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327
WILD RIDE
I just got to the part in FES where Ryoji shows up. I neglected to notice last time that his last name is Mochizuki. That amuses me on a number of levels.
FrozenHalo
I don't get it.
Moogy
Erika Mochizuki
FrozenHalo
I get it.
Deets
So uh, hey. There's a DS version of Rhythm Tengoku coming out in the near future. If nintendo doesn't localize this for the west, they are officially hopeless. I figure they will, but you never know!
grayfox9996
Well hey, they're localizing Band Brothers DX, so why not?
security tubbs
So, Lumines. I just bought it on a friend's recommendation since it's on Steam. It's sold in a "basic pack" or "advance pack" which is billed as some little expansion stuff. Sounded decent, figured I'd get the latter if I liked the basic. I cleared the puzzle/mission mode in an hour, and the extra difficulties it had been teasing me with (two per)? Costs another $8. Hard difficulty on the endless mode? Yeah, there's another $8. (The same $8, but still.) Over half the game is missing.

I know I'm one of the biggest dicks about "support indie developers" but pirate the shit out of this, folks, it is king ripoff and the first case of "microtransactions" to ever piss me off like this. Someone told me the XBLA one isn't this shitty about it, so take that as you will, I can't check.
Akur0
so I'm getting a DS, can anyone reccomend any awesome games other than like. ouendan and diagasso band brothers.
djplaeskool
Phantom Hourglass
Izuna
Rondo of Swords
Picross DS
The World Ends With You

...just to name a few
Eggman of the Strata
Meteos
Mega Man ZX Advent
Mario Kart DS
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Contra 4
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Custom Robo Arena (god I wish I had more people to play this with)
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Front Mission
Hotel Dusk
Kirby: Squeak Squad
any of the Ace Attorney games
Professor Layton
Scurge: Hive (if you can't find the strangely superior GBA version)
Sonic Rush
Super Princess Peach
Trauma Center

Still need more?
Spiritsnare
QUOTE(dj SHAHRA @ May 30 2008, 07:12 PM) *
So, Lumines. I just bought it on a friend's recommendation since it's on Steam. It's sold in a "basic pack" or "advance pack" which is billed as some little expansion stuff. Sounded decent, figured I'd get the latter if I liked the basic. I cleared the puzzle/mission mode in an hour, and the extra difficulties it had been teasing me with (two per)? Costs another $8. Hard difficulty on the endless mode? Yeah, there's another $8. (The same $8, but still.) Over half the game is missing.

I know I'm one of the biggest dicks about "support indie developers" but pirate the shit out of this, folks, it is king ripoff and the first case of "microtransactions" to ever piss me off like this. Someone told me the XBLA one isn't this shitty about it, so take that as you will, I can't check.

I'm very happy with spending $17 for a game that would've cost me $30 ($20 now, but wasn't it $30 when it first released?) and looks better on the PC.

I'm aware that the extra $13 could perhaps be Vs. CPU mode, which I'm crossing my fingers for in an update. Or Heavenly Star.
BBH
QUOTE(otaku1313 @ May 3 2008, 02:18 PM) *
Slight change to get BBH to do more reviews :<

Ok!

http://bbh.marpirc.net/bruteforce/
Axem Rangers
Flamethrowers! (they fucking suck)
rmz
RIGHT ON MAN WOOOO BABY BUST A MOVE
Deets

Bottom left corner is avatar materiallll
Akur0
for those who haven't seen it yet, Street fighter IV Captivate trailer HD.

inb4 old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itE_X2pYgjM
over there

Man that is a pretty DASTARDLY move he is doing with the beer bottle.

GOOD STUFF BBH RIGHT ON MAN WOO YEAAAAAAAAAHHHH
kappaiidx
QUOTE(Deets @ May 31 2008, 03:32 AM) *

Bottom left corner is avatar materiallll

Sure is.
Remy
QUOTE(dj SHAHRA @ May 30 2008, 10:12 PM) *

My recollection for the XBLA version was that Puzzle Mode was a $5 extra, and Mission Mode was a $5 extra, and Vs AI mode was a $5 extra. I think they addressed some of this after the huge community backlash.

Believe me, the Steam version is - by comparison - a steal.
security tubbs
Well, it's 50/50 then. On the one hand, I get (one difficulty) of Puzzle/Mission out the gate, but the add-on doesn't even appear to have a vs. AI mode.

And now that I've calmed down some and it's not so much nerd-rage: part of the anger is that I basically paid $10 for a demo (because the ACTUAL demo is like a skin's worth of playtime and no extra modes). Just charging $15 for it would have pissed me off less because on the one hand, extra cost, but on the other, actual gameplay value.
sir nabsalot
Probably a bit old to some, but I just heard about Rock Band being localized for Japan. I'm very interested to see how well Harmonix can pull this off. Though Konami are the ones who pioneered the genre, to me Harmonix are the current spiritual torch-bearers. They're a company of music-loving gamers, or game-loving musicians, and their products show it. Here's to their success in Japan! *raises frosty mug*
Schlagwerk
QUOTE(sir nabsalot @ Jun 6 2008, 11:00 AM) *
Probably a bit old to some, but I just heard about Rock Band being localized for Japan. I'm very interested to see how well Harmonix can pull this off. Though Konami are the ones who pioneered the genre, to me Harmonix are the current spiritual torch-bearers. They're a company of music-loving gamers, or game-loving musicians, and their products show it. Here's to their success in Japan! *raises frosty mug*

I heard of that earlier and have been curious as to what the Japanese reaction will be. I also wish Harmonix the best of luck and have always liked that company.
WILD RIDE
It makes you feel like a rock star.
Toph
LMFAO rock band

I guess I liked harmonix until I played rock band and it was the worst game ever with the worst peripherals ever
sir nabsalot
Yeah, the whole peripherals snafu was both frustrating and a disappointment. I still don't like the strum bar on the RB guitars (even when it's not busy breaking easily), and from time to time it feels like my button presses or drum hits just straight up don't register (the jury's still out on this though; maybe I just suck!). But the game itself is terrific in every way, and clearly superior to its Guitar Hero predecessors. If Konami has it in them to make a rock game this great, I haven't seen it.
WILD RIDE
Konami makes music games, not rock games.
sir nabsalot
That's a strange hair to split. Wouldn't a rock game be a kind of music game?
Eggman of the Strata
Too bad Harmonix is stopping the infinite warranty on instruments. It's now 60 days from purchase, rather than from the last RMA. So in other words, you better hope your drum set works forever!
rmz
QUOTE(sir nabsalot @ Jun 6 2008, 01:25 PM) *
That's a strange hair to split. Wouldn't a rock game be a kind of music game?

I think that the modern expectation for rock games is that they're combo-based and have no timing windows. Just like Konami is trying to do with Ripoff Revolution.
Eggman of the Strata
Konami isn't even making Rock Revolution. It's by Zoe Mode and HB Studios. Zoe Mode made the Dancing with the Stars game and HB Studios made games about....Cricket and Rugby?

But yeah, Konami's just publishing it.
sir nabsalot
QUOTE(Rowen of the Strata @ Jun 6 2008, 02:50 PM) *
Too bad Harmonix is stopping the infinite warranty on instruments. It's now 60 days from purchase, rather than from the last RMA. So in other words, you better hope your drum set works forever!

Well that's lame. That shows a pretty striking lack of confidence in their controllers IMO (good lord who makes these kinds of decisions? make a better controller). I actually dislike the RB strum bar so much I just tend to play with my GH2 guitar. Ironically, of the 4 plastic guitars I own now, my original ps2 one I bought the day GH came out is still the most reliable.

QUOTE(rmz @ Jun 6 2008, 03:00 PM) *
I think that the modern expectation for rock games is that they're combo-based and have no timing windows. Just like Konami is trying to do with Ripoff Revolution.

You know what, it would be neat if you could turn timing windows on or off as like some kind of crazy option or something.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE(sir nabsalot @ Jun 6 2008, 02:17 PM) *
Well that's lame. That shows a pretty striking lack of confidence in their controllers IMO (good lord who makes these kinds of decisions? make a better controller). I actually dislike the RB strum bar so much I just tend to play with my GH2 guitar. Ironically, of the 4 plastic guitars I own now, my original ps2 one I bought the day GH came out is still the most reliable.

I have replaced all my next gen controllers at least once (ok, except my Xplorer that got used like twice), but my GH1 & 2 PS2 controllers, bought at launch, are still workin' fine
Eggman of the Strata
I actually vastly prefer the RB guitar over the others. I really like the strum bar and my newest one does seem to work perfectly fine, even after quite a few hours of songs.

The only thing the warranty situation sucks for is the drums. Between the pedals and the pads themselves, they are by FAR the most easily breakable instrument. If they were smart, they'd continue the infinite warranty on those at the very least. Microphones, whatever. Guitars, ehhh they're getting better. At least send an e-mail out to anyone's who's gotten an RMA done in the last few months before you put something like this into effect.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE(Rowen of the Strata @ Jun 6 2008, 02:43 PM) *
I actually vastly prefer the RB guitar over the others. I really like the strum bar and my newest one does seem to work perfectly fine, even after quite a few hours of songs.

I kinda like the RB guitar over GHIII's and kinda not. My first one breaking aside, I like GHIII's wireless guitar the best outta all previous GH guitars

The RB guitar's strum bar feels better while strumming in both directions, but is still spongy at the extremes and doesn't click at all for timing feedback. GF ASC's bar is still the best
The frets are bigger, but require more force to press down. The solo frets are still fun if nothing else and the main reason I use the RB guitar when playing RB

Still hate RB's hammer-on graphics, though. I wish they'd just skin the game already
BBH
QUOTE(kappaiidx @ Jun 6 2008, 06:17 AM) *
Sure is.

hahahahahaha

Niiiiiiiice
HAPPY☆ANGEL
QUOTE(kappaiidx @ Jun 6 2008, 06:47 PM) *
Sure is.

so is the bottom right
(if you're eesoteric ! !)
Toph
QUOTE(sir nabsalot @ Jun 6 2008, 10:11 AM) *
Yeah, the whole peripherals snafu was both frustrating and a disappointment. I still don't like the strum bar on the RB guitars (even when it's not busy breaking easily), and from time to time it feels like my button presses or drum hits just straight up don't register (the jury's still out on this though; maybe I just suck!). But the game itself is terrific in every way, and clearly superior to its Guitar Hero predecessors. If Konami has it in them to make a rock game this great, I haven't seen it.

it's kinda fun at parties because you get to sing

except the guitar is way too boring and the drums feel awkward and lame lol

QUOTE(WILD RIDE @ Jun 6 2008, 10:15 AM) *
Konami makes music games, not rock games.

haha I agree
loluralimey
Toph: You v. Me Rock Band ITS ON.

Oh wait i cant sing. Oh wait whats rock band?
Deets
v.gif irtual Console update

Toph
QUOTE(loluralimey @ Jun 8 2008, 04:26 AM) *
Toph: You v. Me Rock Band ITS ON.

Oh wait i cant sing. Oh wait whats rock band?

Let's just sing along to IIDX instead. Grant Higa can be the judge. I'll moneymatch you on Oosanbashi.

KAZE NIIIIIIII~
CStarFlare
I think I would have to kill you.
sir nabsalot
QUOTE(Deets @ Jun 9 2008, 10:30 AM) *
v.gif irtual Console update

Wrong thread!
Moogy
Finally got to play DMC4 since I have a PS3 now. In case you didn't know, I'm a huge fan of DMC3. Overall I'm kinda disappointed, but it's still a good game.

Pros
* Dante. Two new melee weapons, two new guns, and you can switch between all three of your options for each at any time. Some may complain that he doesn't have as many options as in DMC3, but the fact that you have three weapons on hand for both guns and melee and he's only in 6 missions balances this out. He plays just like DMC3, with all of his Styles (except Quicksilver, but eh) intact, and even gets a chance to mess around with Vergil's Style this time around. You can even switch styles on the fly! Very nice.
* The bosses. Except for Sanctus, they're all really fun. Angelo Credo is a great fight, so I'm glad Bloody Palace gives you the opportunity to fight him as Dante - the way the game was meant to be played. 8)
* Bloody Palace. To be honest, I never really liked it in DMC3 SE. 9999 floors is just silly. However, turning it into a 101 floor time-based score attack where every floor is a unique entity was a great idea. Lots of fun to be had here.
* Graphics lol PS3
* Music was good too. Except that really cheesy ending song. And that opera song.
* The controls are just as tight as ever, and pretty much the same as DMC3's. No real changes to the camera either. Good, as neither needed changing.
* I haven't messed around much with higher difficulties yet (just did a run on Demon Hunter), but the difficulty seems fine. I'm assuming that there's no Easy mode and that Human = Normal, Demon Hunter = Hard, Son of Sparda = Very Hard, and DMD = DMD 8). Lack of easy mode is also a good thing.
* Better UI. Orbs for the DT gauge was some gay shit, so I'm glad it's just a bar now.
* Distorted techniques are fun.

Cons
* Nero and his gay ass bullshit. Fuck him. Every mission with Nero is dull shit because gameplay with Nero revolves around exploiting his gimmicky Devil Bringer/Buster garbage. Yeah I sure do enjoy being able to immediately grab enemies again after knocking them back from a combo and then mashing the O button in order to trap them. TAKES SO MUCH SKILL. Also his context bullshit on bosses is the gayest shit ever. Yes I want to knock out 2-3 bars of health by doing nothing but pressing O. Fuck you Capcom. This isn't fucking God of War; don't pander to the casual gamer by letting them pull this shit off. You can cheese things out extremely badly in DMC3, sure, but you have to be aware of what you're doing and how to do it. Not so with Nero. You just mash the O button. On rare occasions, you have to actually time the Buster, but that's about it. Nero's variety is also sorely lacking, as he has no styles and only one sword and gun, so you're forced to rely on the Bringer/Buster for Stylish combos.
* The amount of aggression required to retain a Stylish combo has been toned down significantly. SS and SSS still deplete fairly quickly (noticeably slower than DMC3 though), but with S rank and lower it's almost like you don't even need to try keeping it up. I also don't like how SS and SSS share the same gauge with S - it's a weird design decision. Also if you're Nero you can just spam charge shots to keep your Style ranking up, which is really gay.
* The mission ranking requirements have also been dumbed down significantly. As far as I can tell, damage isn't factored into your ranking at all. This is a horrible decision, since it basically means you can just fuck around in any mission and get an SS (all Ses) rank as long as you did it fast. Fucking gay. Items were relegated to overall penalties instead of being their own category but who cares, items are for faggots.
* No DTE. This doesn't make any sense at all. Nero's DT explodes around him when he activates it, but that's it. What, did they think that the DTE was too cheap or something...?
* The cutscenes are nowhere near as cool as DMC3's. Where's my crazy fucking guitar solo, missile riding, and FUCKING DRIVING A MOTORCYCLE UP A BUILDING? Seriously now.

Overall
Not as good as DMC3, mostly due to the fact that you have to play as Nero for much of the game. The part where you get to play as Dante kicks fucking ass, though. Hell yeah. If DMC4 had been 20 missions of Dante, with, say, 6 weapon choices for melee/guns (with the ability to swap between 3 at a time), all six Styles, and unchanged Stylish gauge and mission rankings, it would have been the best fucking game ever. As it is, though, it's just pretty nice. DMC3 SE is still far better, unfortunately. Oh well, DMC4 is still enjoyable, and I'll be going back to at least play through DMD mode.
djplaeskool
QUOTE(Moogy @ Jun 9 2008, 05:30 PM) *
Cons
*Nero and his gay ass bullshit. Fuck him.

I concur wholeheartedly btns.gif
Eggman of the Strata
When I got Dante, I never wanted to play as Dante again because it feels really dumb to just continuously do Stinger over and over and over again because every attack he has pushes enemies all the way across the room. Changing classes is nice but it's never necessary. Most of his weapons aren't really necessary either. I just did the whole game through with just Rebellion, E&I and the shotgun anyway so Nero's lack of weapons never felt weird to me. Whatever. Nero's not as cool as Dante though.

DMC4 was also easier even than DMC3SE. I think I died once on Devil Hunter? And it was on that fight with the knight guys during the final boss rush. DMC3 is probably the better game but DMC4's still the best action game for 360 or whatever. I definitely like it more than Ninja Gaiden 2.
BG_Hojo72
QUOTE(Rowen of the Strata @ Jun 9 2008, 06:46 PM) *
I definitely like it more than Ninja Gaiden 2.

you have a problem with difficulty-by-cheapness?
Akur0
I think many have a problem with difficulty by cheapness btns.gif

*edit*

posted this in my lj

another street fighter vid, skip to two minutes to avoid the annoying announcer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9u_09IV8Vk

vega, they gave him the maximum spider???

balrog, they gave him a dash overhead looks like, hopefully he can contend better against grapplers now. the windup and lag for the attack seems raggedy but it's not like the game is completed yet. the new crazy buffalo looks awesome but it was probally made that way because of the CGI more than for style.

sagat, his tiger knee has a multi hit *instead of two hits* effect instead of knockback? @_@ are they going to give him combo options like akuma? I noticed afterwards it was the tiger genocide. my bad.

Bison, wow that special is just, wow. he has huge teeth =D

*edit*

this may just be my opinion but I like how C-viper is the capcom terry bogard.

*yet another boring edit*

holy fornicating fecal matter el furte is awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efqWd5Wius0...feature=related
Eggman of the Strata
QUOTE(BG_Hojo72 @ Jun 9 2008, 09:41 PM) *
you have a problem with difficulty-by-cheapness?

I didn't really think it was cheap. It just felt bland. I'd just leap into a crowd of enemies with Flying Swallow, block, stab, block, stab, block, stab. The game's too defensive.
BG_Hojo72
don't forget about Izuna Dropping Izuna Droppable enemies. also, what difficulty did you play it on? i played Warrior for a little bit, and was like "lol fuck this no skin off my back playing on Acolyte." i did the same thing with Viewtiful Joe. i'm having a harder time with this game than i ever did with the first one.

in any case, the bosses are cheap no matter how you slice it. i was able to make Alexei flinch 1 time, and it was when he just stood in front of me at the start of the first fight i had against him. when i beat him, Flying Swallows were the only move i did to inflict damage on him. what an asshole.
loluralimey
QUOTE(Toph @ Jun 9 2008, 12:45 PM) *
Let's just sing along to IIDX instead. Grant Higa can be the judge. I'll moneymatch you on Oosanbashi.

KAZE NIIIIIIII~

What, fuck that. Dance off, Grant gotta play dazzlin darlin then we dance as gay as we can. Raf will be the judge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.