Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAME THREAD
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327
grayfox9996
guys skullgirls is still awesome and it's the only thing I've played in a week why am I not working on my backlog :<
Deets
Because the idea of a backlog is kinda dumb and you should really just spend your time doing things you like instead of worrying about fulfilling a self-imposed obligation to consume as much vidja gamic entertainment as possible

I made a pen drive with a bunch of songs on it to play in the background while Trials evolutioning. Mostly just Space Jam remixes. Like this.
rmz
Yeah pretty much once my "backlog" started reaching 10+ years old I stopped caring about it

For example I still haven't beaten multiple different PS1 games that I've owned since they came out, and I still intend to, but day-to-day I pretty much just play whatever I feel like playing at that moment and stopped caring whether or not that means old games "pile up"

Occasionally it leads to things I kick myself over like not playing an amazing game until it's old news but even then the only people who care are people on the internet
Eggman of the Strata
My backlog extends to this generation. It just feels dumb to just say, "Welp, I feel like replaying this other game" and just have wasted money sitting there. Besides, the games that are in my backlog are all things that I want to play, there are just too many to really be able to say, "I want to play that" so I just randomly pick something from it and go through it. I already finished the whole thing once and I can probably get through what I have now in another couple of months since I have like 10 games left and that's counting individual games in HD collections.

It doesn't really have to do with just "consuming games." I clearly bought these games because I wanted to play them in the first place.
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Eggman of the Strata @ May 4 2012, 10:59 AM) *
The games that are in my backlog are all things that I want to play, there are just too many to really be able to say, "I want to play that" so I just randomly pick something from it and go through it.

This is the extent of my backlog. It's not stuff I'm obligated to play, but tons of things that I WANT to play, just haven't gotten around to randomly selecting them yet. Lots of stuff from last year (Infamous 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Stacking, Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, etc.) are sitting unopened, because I want to play them, and got a great deal on them, but I just haven't yet gotten to them.
m335h73r
I'm playing Tunnel Rats 1964 because I hate myself.
TJB
I think there's about 4 or 5 Wizardry clones that I was supposed to play through. I never got to finish The Dark Spire either. My backlog is a bit depressing so I block it out and do what deets said.

Although I do come back to Doom a lot, been playing the Speed of Doom wad, really really really really difficult.
Jadin
I download jp wizardry games just to see how they look (awesome) then get sad I can't play them
Eggman of the Strata
Assassin's Creed Revelations managed to pull back enough from having too much extraneous side missions to make something much better than Brotherhood but training assassins is still a terrible facebook game and they give you way too many tools that make you invincible in every encounter. I think I still prefer the set ups used for the assassinations from the first game. They always felt like huge puzzles to survey and figure out.
grayfox9996
Yeah, the limited/awful throwing knives that made killing at a distance nigh-impossible if you wanted to remain stealthy kept the first game interesting, when you actually WERE in an assassination. It's just too bad that everything else in that game was fluff.
sir nabsalot
QUOTE (Deets @ May 4 2012, 10:44 AM) *
Because the idea of a backlog is kinda dumb and you should really just spend your time doing things you like instead of worrying about fulfilling a self-imposed obligation to consume as much vidja gamic entertainment as possible

I think the idea is just an idea, but if it's causing much misery it may become dumb pretty quick. I think my "backlog" is pretty much infinite, since there's literally no way I can stay on top of every game I want to play, every song I should hear, every show I should watch etc. To live in an era of such riches and drown yourself in it would be arguably dumb. Baby you gotta swim, baby.

QUOTE (Deets @ May 4 2012, 10:44 AM) *
I made a pen drive with a bunch of songs on it to play in the background while Trials evolutioning. Mostly just Space Jam remixes. Like this.

haha excellent choice
Eggman of the Strata
Prototype 2 is simultaneously much better and much much worse than the first game. I've never seen so many oddly baffling design choices, even down to the characters. Is Heller supposed to just be retarded? He absorbs all the knowledge and memories of the people he consumes so how is it that he doesn't know how to use a computer and talks about how much he hates them when he's absorbed dozens of scientists? Why is every mission basically identical?

Some of the glitches are hilarious though. I grabbed a guy, threw him at a tree and the tree flew up out of the ground and into space.
Deets
QUOTE (sir nabsalot @ May 6 2012, 02:07 PM) *
I think the idea is just an idea, but if it's causing much misery it may become dumb pretty quick.

Yeah I mean I've just seen a lot of people with backloggery accounts, and they are all the most miserable people I know, so I mean
Mazrim
My backlog consists of finishing Mass Effect 3 before Diablo 3 comes out. Pretty long list...though every time I do another speed run of Dawn of Sorrow, that's another ~1 hour less playing Mass Effect 3. I feel like I'm close though! 36 hours logged and just finished Thessia.
spineshark
QUOTE (Deets @ May 6 2012, 09:11 PM) *
Yeah I mean I've just seen a lot of people with backloggery accounts, and they are all the most miserable people I know, so I mean

Yeah I think this is one of the only possible outcomes of viewing a hobby as something to Get Done instead of something to do.
WILD RIDE
I only have a backloggery account for OCD purposes, and have no intention of 'getting back to' the majority of the games listed. I don't feel like most people actually use it for its 'intended' purpose.
1st Samurai
Finally had some more time for trials over the weekend, cleared everything I had on my friend's GT back onto my own, still plenty of room for improvement over plenty of tracks though, and the last 3 extreme's are kicking my arse a little.

Oh hey yeah, is Cowstar or something someone from here? If so, shit you've got some pretty decent times, my hat is off to you good sir. Don't think I'm particularly close to you on much except maybe red lynx stadium or whatever it's called. Granted some tracks have like 20k positions spread between about 4 secs, but still, need to up my game and shit.
Little Miss Prissy
i think my backlog consists more of video games that i've played a bit of but never finished a playthrough, as opposed to games i never even started playing to begin with and mean to at some point

but somewhere along the line i just...kind of stopped caring. it's better if i just pop in a game that i want to play instead of trying to force myself to finish all the games i own at least once
sir nabsalot
QUOTE (1st Samurai @ May 8 2012, 08:27 AM) *
Finally had some more time for trials over the weekend, cleared everything I had on my friend's GT back onto my own, still plenty of room for improvement over plenty of tracks though, and the last 3 extreme's are kicking my arse a little.

Oh hey yeah, is Cowstar or something someone from here? If so, shit you've got some pretty decent times, my hat is off to you good sir. Don't think I'm particularly close to you on much except maybe red lynx stadium or whatever it's called. Granted some tracks have like 20k positions spread between about 4 secs, but still, need to up my game and shit.

hi I'm cowstor. Thanks, I'm on my 3rd pass through the game now, (first to see everything, second to platinum all the single races, and now) just slowly going through the game trying to bring my single-race times about as low as they can get. Let me know if there's anything in particular you wanna compete on (I'll probably have a look at red lynx stadium tonight). The extremes and hards tend to be my favorite 8)
1st Samurai
Cool cool. Yeah Red Lynx is in hard and is a house favourite here so that's getting the most game time, but it'd be good to have others put forward so feel free to let me know any particular favourites you have too. Medium - hard get the most look in due to passing the pad around a couple of people (extremes tend to slow things down) but if I'm on my own I'm usually hitting hard and trying to clear those last few extremes.
Mazrim
I finished Mass Effect 3 last night. Thus ends the last 5 months of my gaming being dominated by the Mass Effect trilogy. It was nice to be able to play all three in a row (keep in mind I didn't really know ANYTHING about it when I first jumped into ME1 in January), as I was totally immersed in the story that way. I'm not very happy with the ending either, but the rest of ME3 is so great that it won't stop me from loving the game. I'm actually pretty sad I reached the end. I really got attached to the characters.

My favorite stuff from the series (ME3 spoiler tagged in case some people here are still playing):

Mass Effect
1. First time landing at the Citadel - The sense of "wow" when you first get there and start to immerse yourself in the universe they created was awesome.
2. Meeting the Prothean VI on Ilos - The big moment of meeting something Prothean as well as learning the secret of the Citadel, Mass Relays and the Conduit was my favorite thing from this game.
3. The battle for the Citadel - The climax of the game was well done, and the pacing and scale was great all the way from the race to the conduit to fighting Saren. Sovereign still feels like one of the most menacing reapers to me. In general, the reapers felt less and less "goliath" like as things went on.

Mass Effect 2
1. Attack and destruction of the Normandy SR1 - One of the best scenes in the trilogy, period. An awesome way to open the game and make you go "whoa".
2. Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC - If all DLC was like this, then I would never complain. It felt head and shoulders above most everything in Mass Effect 2 in terms of quality of production. The hovercar chase through Illium and the exterior of the Shadow Broker ship were incredible looking, and the script writing was very well done. The banter between Shepard and Liara is hilarious.
3. The assault of the Collector Base - All that work you did actually showed up here. The approach was much better than the actual base, and the proto-human reaper was creepy as fuck. Very good final boss.

Mass Effect 3
1. The reaper attack on Vancouver - If there was any way of really driving the war home, this was it. It was happening all around you as you try to escape. The visuals of the scene were awesome and set the tone for the whole game.
2. Facing the reaper on Tuchanka - You're running up to a reaper on foot. What?!?! It's trying to shoot you with its death beam, trying to stomp you, while there are brutes everywhere and you're running like a madman trying not to die. The chaos of it, the shouting of your squadmates, the noise of the reaper...just wow. Then a "hell yeah" moment when the mother of all thresher maws attacks the reaper. That's how you make an exciting mission. Then you finish it off with the genophage cure, a bittersweet and nice moment in the game.
3. The final push to the Conduit - If you're going to feel desperate, this mission will do it to you. Surviving waves of enemies while trying to launch the missles was really intense, and realising you just need to run like hell to make it to the console while the reaper is shooting at you and you have a dozen enemies chasing you just capped it off. The final desperation run to the Conduit against Sovereign was perfect. Transports being demolished, the ground in front of you exploding...damn. I'll try to forget everything that happens after.

There, you won't have to deal with me posting all the time about Mass Effect anymore!
grayfox9996
nice page 777 snipe

Also, I totally disagree that the final boss in 2 was good. But oh well. I definitely agree on the opening being the high point of that game, and the ending of 1 being the high point there.
spineshark
I liked ME2's final boss because it reminded me of The Red Star.

And that's not a bad thing to do.
rmz
It felt like more of a proper final boss fight than the one in ME1, at least to me.
grayfox9996
Yeah, but even on the hardest difficulty, I just blasted the thing with a few nukes before I sniped it to death. I killed it so fast, it barely felt like a boss. And honestly, it was pretty ridiculous to begin with.
Tropical Pallete
So I have a lot of money to throw around, and I was wondering what's "better" - the original Marvel vs. Capcom 3, or Ultimate? I like the interface for the former much more than Ultimate's, but Ultimate has more characters. (I'm not using a stick, by the way.) Has anyone played both?
rmz
Ultimate is the current version, has more characters, and has the latest balance changes. If you ever want to play against other people, you'll want Ultimate, but if you're just playing by yourself (or casually on the couch with friends or something) then I guess there's no reason you couldn't go with vanilla if you really wanted to.
Pidgey
I downloaded Legend of Dragoon.

It's a fun game.
1st Samurai
Way of the Ninja 8th checkpoint can fuck right off.

edit - buuuur, what am I on, I mean The Wreck 8th checkpoint.
sir nabsalot
QUOTE (1st Samurai @ May 10 2012, 08:55 AM) *
Way of the Ninja 8th checkpoint can fuck right off.

edit - buuuur, what am I on, I mean The Wreck 8th checkpoint.

Well you weren't the only one. Here's a video of someone doing it over and over.

I played some RedLynx Moto-Jam last night. Is that the stadium one you were talking about? It's like Way of the Ninja's younger brother. Almost got a really fast time but need to figure out some log magic first.
Tropical Pallete
QUOTE (rmz @ May 10 2012, 01:44 AM) *
Ultimate is the current version, has more characters, and has the latest balance changes. If you ever want to play against other people, you'll want Ultimate, but if you're just playing by yourself (or casually on the couch with friends or something) then I guess there's no reason you couldn't go with vanilla if you really wanted to.

I do have X-BOX Live actually, so I would like to play against others. Guess I'll go with Ultimate then. Thanks, rmz.
WILD RIDE
You're in Philly, people there play Marvel all day every day.
grayfox9996
So which Pixeljunk games are worth playing? Looks like they're all on sale right now.
Eggman of the Strata
Shooter 1 and 2 and Sidescroller. But honestly $2 for 3 of them? I don't even understand how you couldn't get enough enjoyment out of them considering the price.
1st Samurai
QUOTE (sir nabsalot @ May 10 2012, 11:15 AM) *
Well you weren't the only one. Here's a video of someone doing it over and over.

I played some RedLynx Moto-Jam last night. Is that the stadium one you were talking about? It's like Way of the Ninja's younger brother. Almost got a really fast time but need to figure out some log magic first.

Yeah that's getting done tonight.. like, for reals this time. It's not like I don't know what to do, it's the bloody execution. Mind is willing, fingers less so.

Yepyepyep, Red Lynx Moto-Jam! It's easy enough (more like a medium+ I reckon) but has just the right amount of fuck-up-able parts to make it interesting and a full clean run tricky. Think I've got a 1:01 on my gt and a 0:59 on the xbox downstairs, but this guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHtrhA48YVk - does nothing particularly special and ends with a 56. Reckon my best run of individual sections would net me around that or even lower, but getting them all in the same run, ah there's the rub.

Will put in some solid sessions this weekend. Hit me up with some track suggestions too, anything aside from the last 4 extremes should be fine. Fuck it, include the last 4 ex if you want, just don't expect anything under 100 faults from me.
djplaeskool
Yeah...
so Ciel Nosurge has to be one of the strangest games I've ever played.
Such a weird dynamic of real-time activity, item synthesis, and the whole Sharl-fairy discovery/AR barcode/QR hide and seek thing...
However, I keep playing and bringing Ion things to build with because she's so damned adorable.
TJB
finally finished EO3, started post-game just then and eughh I don't know if I can take this

one of the monsters in the 6th stratum decided to swap my party members around for fun then my zodiac got 1-shot thx atlus

welp I guess it's time to play futari for score again to fill that void
1st Samurai
I'm still tempted by Akai Katana but the as-yet unplayed ddp and pink sweets tells me I should hold off, at least until it inevitably drops to £10.

Trails news - 0:57.6 or something on RedLynx. Managed to get 3 secs ahead of my ghost then fucked up on the plank of wood climb before the logs near the end. Man was pissed. If I can string that all together and leave with around the 55 or lower mark I'll be a happy man.

Nabs - I checked out your replays on the extremes the other day; fuck man, the 0 faulter on way of the ninja is impressive, not least because the track's so long. Props once again.
sir nabsalot
QUOTE (1st Samurai @ May 14 2012, 08:43 AM) *
Trails news - 0:57.6 or something on RedLynx. Managed to get 3 secs ahead of my ghost then fucked up on the plank of wood climb before the logs near the end. Man was pissed. If I can string that all together and leave with around the 55 or lower mark I'll be a happy man.

Nabs - I checked out your replays on the extremes the other day; fuck man, the 0 faulter on way of the ninja is impressive, not least because the track's so long. Props once again.

Nice, yeah sounds like you'll hit that real soon. It's that run of logs at the end that are giving me the most grief personally, but hopefully this week I'll get some more time to sit down and fix that. Thanks for the props on WotN, I was fairly proud of that one, even with the half-dozen or so mistakes costing me about 15 seconds I reckon. It's not as long as giga track, but it's so technical, with so many little things can go wrong; if I can just do a run without any major mistakes I'll be real proud.

QUOTE (1st Samurai @ May 11 2012, 05:45 AM) *
Will put in some solid sessions this weekend. Hit me up with some track suggestions too, anything aside from the last 4 extremes should be fine. Fuck it, include the last 4 ex if you want, just don't expect anything under 100 faults from me.

OH YEAH, so hmmm how do you mean suggestions? Like, tracks that are good for practicing certain things? Generally speaking, for speedrunning you'll get better practice on the Easy/Medium tracks (first because the LBs are so competitive, and second because the technique is more about going fast than mere survival), whereas if you want more bike control practice, restart Hards and Extremes 5000 times 8)
1st Samurai
Oh, suggestions as in any tracks you wanted to compete on, but I think we know the outcome of that already! Still, if you do ever find yourself dedicating time to a particular track let me know and I'll try to rival.
WILD RIDE
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, June 5th, $15. Everyone should go buy it.

QUOTE (1st Samurai @ May 14 2012, 10:43 AM) *
I'm still tempted by Akai Katana but the as-yet unplayed ddp and pink sweets tells me I should hold off, at least until it inevitably drops to £10.

Wait, what do those things mean. Unplayable why? Is MMP ok at least?
sir nabsalot
QUOTE (1st Samurai @ May 14 2012, 11:35 AM) *
Oh, suggestions as in any tracks you wanted to compete on, but I think we know the outcome of that already! Still, if you do ever find yourself dedicating time to a particular track let me know and I'll try to rival.

I gotcha, yeah I'm definitely down for some competition. Right now I'm giving a lot of love to Hards and Extremes. I don't expect you to keep up on the Extremes at this point (it took me months just to 0-fault/plat those in HD, and this batch is no less serious imo), but everything else is probably fair game if you're willing to put the time in. The "easier" the track, the more level that playing field I bet. I don't have too much trouble getting into the top 100 in Hards and Extremes, but the rest I'm usually pretty happy to get top 1000 (if I can even do that). People's conception of difficulty varies wildly in my experience though. So yeah, any Hards this week and next, I'm Egon Spangler: AIN'T AFRAID OF NO GHOSTS. If I see one I'll try to bust it biggrin.gif

EDIT:
watched your moto-jam replay, that was a great run dude. That flip at the start surprised me.. I wouldn't think there'd be enough clearance to pull that off 8)
1st Samurai
QUOTE (sir nabsalot @ May 14 2012, 03:26 PM) *
I gotcha, yeah I'm definitely down for some competition. Right now I'm giving a lot of love to Hards and Extremes. I don't expect you to keep up on the Extremes at this point (it took me months just to 0-fault/plat those in HD, and this batch is no less serious imo), but everything else is probably fair game if you're willing to put the time in. The "easier" the track, the more level that playing field I bet. I don't have too much trouble getting into the top 100 in Hards and Extremes, but the rest I'm usually pretty happy to get top 1000 (if I can even do that). People's conception of difficulty varies wildly in my experience though. So yeah, any Hards this week and next, I'm Egon Spangler: AIN'T AFRAID OF NO GHOSTS. If I see one I'll try to bust it biggrin.gif

EDIT:
watched your moto-jam replay, that was a great run dude. That flip at the start surprised me.. I wouldn't think there'd be enough clearance to pull that off 8)

Thanks! Yeah I was suprised you weren't doing the flip on yours, I think it's marginally faster than a normal jump as long as you manage a really low one so that your air time is minimal. You can get a meaty connection on your back wheel against the last log that the flip clears too, which I think gives a slight speed boost. I could just be imagining that though.

In terms of competing, I'm all for the hards, and the extremes are getting fewer faults each time I play them so hopefully at some point I can rival on the first 3 or so of those too. However, I just moved house and the bastard internet peoples have delayed my installation by a week; there's no way I'm putting serious time trialing in when there's no uploading of times achieved offline. It's a real ball ache actually because trials was soaking up all my game time of late, back to iidx now I guess.

QUOTE (wild ride)
unplayable how

Ah not unplayable in that sense, just that I haven't played them yet, they're in my stack. Can't really justify buying another shooter when I have 2 decent looking offerings to get stuck into.

Add a "whoop!" from me for VF5.
grayfox9996
So I finished Bastion the other day, and...you know, honestly, it was pretty good. I still have my qualms with the game, but the aesthetics and story and presentation make up for pretty much all of them. It was a fun experience, even if it was brief for the story campaign (maybe 6-7 hours, taking my time - skipped most of the trials, though I did do the memory things because MORE STORY). Definitely worth the very little I ended up paying for it.

Still trying to figure out what to play next. I still have the Saints Row The Third DLC to play, but...I'm not sure if I want to, I keep hearing mixed things about them. Deus Ex and Dead Space 2 have been staring at me on my shelf for a while, too. Least I'm finally out of my "play only Skullgirls" phase.

Oh, and looks like I missed that Pixeljunk sale. Oh well!
Eggman of the Strata
I'm down to Ico/SotC collection, Sly Cooper collection, Rhythm Heaven Fever and Disaster: Day of Crisis and that's all of my console games. I've been meaning to play Ico for, I don't know, a decade? I guess it came out in 2001 so even longer. Never played SotC either so this should be pretty cool.

Atelier Meruru got pushed back a week so my precious Mayruru is only going to exist for like two days.
security tubbs
oh konami
rmz
Wow, they left off some really good characters and put on some REALLY stupid ones. Konami of America is pretty much a neverending carnival of failure, though, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Eggman of the Strata
I'll spoil it for you. The last round will be Solid Snake vs The Boss.
djplaeskool
QUOTE (rmz @ May 16 2012, 09:26 PM) *
Konami of America is pretty much a neverending carnival of failure

Evidently, they just blacklisted Jim Sterling because of a video he did (I think one of his Jimquisition rants) pointing out this fact.

Edit: Yup - Supposedly this went "to the top" of KDE, America.
rmz
Good old Konami.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.