Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAME THREAD
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327
Elixir
QUOTE(JDM_Deets @ Dec 18 2007, 04:56 PM) *
On a similar note, the mother 3 patch guys are makin' some progress, these days. They have a video of the game's prologue in english up on the youtube, if you haven't seen that yet. There are still quite a few hacking issues they have left to resolve that are evident in the video, but there you go.

Oh they're such a tease.
Eggman of the Strata
QUOTE(Schlagwerk @ Dec 17 2007, 09:51 PM) *
I was wondering which one he was referring to, as well. The only thing you can even attempt to say against DeJap is that they used the localized item names from Tales of Destiny.

Thanks for the link, getting it now

"I bet she fucks like a tiger!"

Please. The Dejap translation was awful. They took far too many liberties like that.
Elixir
I'd rather have a crappy but playable translation over no translation at all.
Moogy
QUOTE(Eggman @ Dec 18 2007, 05:20 AM) *
"I bet she fucks like a tiger!"

Please. The Dejap translation was awful. They took far too many liberties like that.

I knew you would bring up that line, because it's the only line you can possibly complain about in their translation.

They took a boring scene with some innuendo in it and decided to spice it up. Oh no. Other than the profanity, you can find far less faithful commercial translations out there.

Working Designs, anyone? Yeah, I'm sure that random townspeople talked about Bill Clinton in the original scripts of the Lunar games.

And even if you've decided to hate their ToP translation for no reason, that certainly doesn't allow you make generalizations about other fan translations, even other fan translations by Dejap. Their translator for Bahamut Lagoon and Star Ocean now works for Funimation - that means that he is a professional translator, and though he was not at the time he translated them, their translated scripts certainly reflect a professional level of work. Incidentally, he is the one now transutf8g Mother 3.
Eggman of the Strata
Working Designs made the games a hell of a lot more memorable by doing that. I'll take random townsperson #5 having changed but hilarious dialogue over someone changing how a major character says a line about another major character, possibly changing how that character feels towards another.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE(Eggman @ Dec 18 2007, 01:01 PM) *
Working Designs made the games a hell of a lot more memorable by doing that. I'll take random townsperson #5 having changed but hilarious dialogue over someone changing how a major character says a line about another major character, possibly changing how that character feels towards another.

You know if you talked to a random townsfolk in the original Sega CD Silver Star, you got some history about the world (the biggest example is the town in the Frontier). If you talked to townsfolk in any games after that and you got a useless attempt to be funny, most jokes which horribly date the game like the writing in Naked Gun 33 1/3.
HYPER BOUNDARY GATE
QUOTE(Moogy @ Dec 18 2007, 11:56 AM) *
I knew you would bring up that line, because it's the only line you can possibly complain about in their translation.

They took a boring scene with some innuendo in it and decided to spice it up. Oh no. Other than the profanity, you can find far less faithful commercial translations out there.

Working Designs, anyone? Yeah, I'm sure that random townspeople talked about Bill Clinton in the original scripts of the Lunar games.

And even if you've decided to hate their ToP translation for no reason, that certainly doesn't allow you make generalizations about other fan translations, even other fan translations by Dejap. Their translator for Bahamut Lagoon and Star Ocean now works for Funimation - that means that he is a professional translator, and though he was not at the time he translated them, their translated scripts certainly reflect a professional level of work. Incidentally, he is the one now transutf8g Mother 3.

Yeah, I recall getting turned off to WD's translations when playing Alundra, which had a lot of really poignant scenes ruined by cute asides and arbitrary pop culture references. I need to get my hands on that game again...
Spiritsnare
That scene aside (which, for the record, I found ridiculously hilarious)...

I like how in the deJap patch, the inns are commercial. You walk into the Olive Village inn, for example, and it'll say Motel 6 or something like that.

Also, the Bahamut Lagoon patch is sexy.
Schlagwerk
Solid. I just won a cheap eBay auction for a Genesis 2 + Sega CD 2. I'm tired of my Sega CD not working, and the semi-borked video output on my Genesis 1. On top of it, I get a size reduction on the entire unit as an added bonus.

Can't wait to be able to enjoy my Lunars and Sol Feace again. (and maybe I'll get around to beating Popful Mail)

EDIT: wait.. all of my saves are on my current Sega CD and I don't have the RAM cart. SONUVABITCH
Eggman of the Strata
So I was just looking at pictures from the upcoming DS Blue Dragon game and holy shit

Szabo gets a fucking Pumpkin King shadow and apparently a Poo Snake gets a Poo Dragon shadow

I actually really want it.
Deets
Hey schlag, Sega Ages Phantasy Star Complete Collection is dated now: 3/27/08
Elixir
Ugh, Blue Dragon was the biggest disappointment this entire year. I can't stand the game. Almost every reason to play it in the first place was removed once Eternal Sonata was released.

HOPE TO SEE
YOU WENT BLIND
STARING DOWN ETERNITY
djplaeskool
QUOTE(JDM_Deets @ Dec 19 2007, 01:14 AM) *
Sega Ages Phantasy Star Complete Collection is dated now: 3/27/08

Nice...
according to the release section Sega Ages site, it's even going to have the PSII Text Adventure.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE(JDM_Deets @ Dec 19 2007, 02:14 AM) *
Hey schlag, Sega Ages Phantasy Star Complete Collection is dated now: 3/27/08

I came.

The big problem is do I import immediately or do I hold off for news on a US release?
Elixir
QUOTE(Schlagwerk @ Dec 20 2007, 06:51 AM) *
I came.
The big problem is do I import immediately or do I hold off for news on a US release?

You can't be serious. There's not going to be a US release, unless Sega decide to randomly release one of their Sega Ages titles, which is very, very unlikely.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE(Elixir @ Dec 19 2007, 03:03 PM) *
You can't be serious. There's not going to be a US release, unless Sega decide to randomly release one of their Sega Ages titles, which is very, very unlikely.

I can be serious. There was a group set up to translate the original Sega Ages releases (generation:1, 2, 4) that gave up when Sega canceled 4. They might want to release I-II-III-IV now. Failing that, this is probably the biggest Sega Ages release from a Western standpoint as all the original games at least came out here. (There were a few Saturn Sega Ages remakes that were notable, but not well known outside of Saturn fans and importers)
It's not definite, but I could see this and the PS2 Nights remake coming out in the US. Stranger shit has been released and I myself have lost money in the past buying games I didn't think would ever come out here (and then they come out as budget titles). I'm just hoping if anyone takes an interest in releasing it, they'll announce before the Japanese game comes out.
Elixir
Why don't you just import it instead of waiting on the off-chance it might be released on the US? It's very unlikely, and while stranger shit has arrived in the US that doesn't mean this will. I know a few guys who bought the Raiden III release and years later it came out for the US, they bought that too, just to show their support. Although this is a rather bad example, since Raiden III sucks (I own the JP version, for some reason), but you get the idea.

Schlagwerk
QUOTE(Elixir @ Dec 19 2007, 04:29 PM) *
Why don't you just import it instead of waiting on the off-chance it might be released on the US? It's very unlikely, and while stranger shit has arrived in the US that doesn't mean this will. I know a few guys who bought the Raiden III release and years later it came out for the US, they bought that too, just to show their support. Although this is a rather bad example, since Raiden III sucks (I own the JP version, for some reason), but you get the idea.

I'm not fluent in Japanese. Playing through generation:1 was painful while not in a dungeon because most plot events are triggered by talking to a specific NPC (sometimes multiple times).. it lead to more backtracking than needed and I ended up having to run through certain dungeons a couple of times.

Anyhow, I said that I was hoping for news of a US release before the JP release as that'd help me decide what to do. The end of March is still a good ways off.

Do you just enjoy being stand-offish or something? rolleyes.gif
Elixir
QUOTE(Schlagwerk @ Dec 20 2007, 09:34 AM) *
I'm not fluent in Japanese. Playing through generation:1 was painful while not in a dungeon because most plot events are triggered by talking to a specific NPC (sometimes multiple times).. it lead to more backtracking than needed and I ended up having to run through certain dungeons a couple of times.

Anyhow, I said that I was hoping for news of a US release before the JP release as that'd help me decide what to do. The end of March is still a good ways off.

Neither am I, but that didn't stop me from playing through Fantasy Zone, Monster World Collection and Gunstar Treasure Box. Surely there's translations for the game? Those two other titles I mentioned also had an ability to change the language to English, so this might, too.

QUOTE(Schlagwerk @ Dec 20 2007, 09:34 AM) *
Do you just enjoy being stand-offish or something? rolleyes.gif

No.
FrozenHalo
You know its bad when you ask someone

Person 1: "have you played persona 3 yet?"
Person 2: "DADADADA, DADADADA...BABY BABY"
Deets
QUOTE(FrozenHalo @ Dec 21 2007, 11:28 PM) *
You know it's awesome when you ask someone

Person 1: "have you played persona 3 yet?"
Person 2: "DADADADA, DADADADA...BABY BABY"

WILD RIDE
I think what you mean to say is

OOH YEAH, BADADABABA BADABABA
BABY BABY
BADADABABA BADABABA
OOH YEAH, BADADABABA BADABABA
BABY BABY
BADADABABA BAO BO

So is FES coming here or not?...
Moogy
probably
FrozenHalo
what I ment to say was...

Fear's awake
Anger beats loud
Face reality
Never be charity
The enemy you're fighting covers whole society
Damn right
Mommy's not here gotta fight
All night

Right here shadow
10 o'clock direction
Seize the moment
They destroy the nation
Your rhyme is slow-motion
Give me motivation
Freaked out now
And dead on arrival

Round up around
Spit out all over
Rhyme like a rolling stone
Come in the crowd
Watch out the moon
They diss you loud
Guess what this sound
It bombs whole ground
So round up

Don't ease your pace
Cuz enemy is brutal
Moment of truth
There ain't no truce
You're the only one
One world
One love
But the battle goes on
Shadows of mass destruction

yeah rumors say there was info about the FES in I think it was a VA's webpage but atlas had it removed. Not sure WHERE it was posted but it was removed from wherever.
WILD RIDE
QUOTE(FrozenHalo @ Dec 22 2007, 09:14 PM) *
Give me motivation

Oh, is that all? I was hearing that line all wrong.
chotto kiitena
QUOTE(FrozenHalo @ Dec 22 2007, 09:14 PM) *
Come in the crowd

I hear most polite society frowns upon this kind of thing
FrozenHalo
But its japan.
Schlagwerk
QUOTE(FrozenHalo @ Dec 23 2007, 12:33 AM) *
But its japan.

Yeah, it's freakin' marketable there btns.gif
Spiritsnare
I don't know why - it might've been because Peggle "Extreme" got bundled in with the Orange Box - but lately I've been in a PopCap mood.

Goddammit.
FrozenHalo
I'm so sorry haha.

Also, I'd like to add:

Mazrim
Contra 4 retains it's stupidly hard difficulty. The new takes on old bosses is really cool though.
Deets
If you haven't unlocked Challenge Mode by finishing easy mode yet, I would recommend that you do so. It'll make you... marginally better at the main game, and considerably angrier!
BBH
QUOTE(JDM_Deets @ Dec 25 2007, 06:58 PM) *
If you haven't unlocked Challenge Mode by finishing easy mode yet, I would recommend that you do so. It'll make you... marginally better at the main game, and considerably angrier!

DEFEAT

DEFEAT

DEFEAT

DEFEAT

DEFEAT

DEFEAT

DEFEAT

DEFEAT
Elixir
QUOTE(MazriM TaiM @ Dec 26 2007, 03:02 PM) *
Contra 4 retains its position as Nintendo DS Game of the Year
Mazrim
I've only played it for 15 minutes. No I haven't beat Easy Mode yet because I suck. Multi-player Geometry Wars and Picross have been eating up my DS time.
Elixir
QUOTE(MazriM TaiM @ Dec 26 2007, 09:07 PM) *
I've only played said "Game of the Year" for 15 minutes and admit I'm terrible at Contra. No I haven't beat Easy Mode yet because I'm not man enough. Inferior feminine gaming titles have been more appealing as of late. My DS grew a beard.
Eggman of the Strata
Bah. Hotel Dusk is by far my favorite DS game this year.
Nomi
I didn't get to finish Hotel Dusk, but what I did play was mighty impressive.
Elixir
My Games of the Year:

PS2 - Persona 3: For everyone who gives jRPGs and visual novels shit, this is actually fucking awesome. A kickass soundtrack (which I intend on purchasing), a great visual novel experience with dungeon crawling and fantastic voice acting. Most of the characters are memorable and everything fits together nicely. The game's lengthy and I still haven't finished it, but I don't want it to end. This is, by far, one of the best games available for the PS2.

Honourable mention: Odin Sphere. Well, what can I say. The graphics are fantastic, the characters are great, the voice acting is great, the difficulty is up there, and it has excellent replay value. It presents itself as an RPG which you can't grind endlessly on just to overcome. Skill and mastery are needed in order to complete this game, not just high levels.

Wii - Mario Galaxy: It gave me that feeling which I got when I was playing Mario 64 for the first time. The soundtrack is fantastic, Yoshiaki put countless amounts of time into coming up with something so memorable. I look forward to buying the OST. The game isn't long, but there's still a bunch of post-game stuff you can go back to if you like. There's always different routes you can take if you get stuck on a world, so you're constantly playing something new.

Honourable mention <3: Zack and Wiki, for it's wacky design and neat puzzle solving. Game's hard as far as puzzles go, since messing up means you're screwed in different points. But it gives you the feeling that you're playing a 3D Monkey Island.

PC - Orange Box. Team Fortress 2 is a great game, and this is coming from someone who hates FPS games in general. Yet they've managed to make it fun again. By far this is the best value for money in terms of game purchases. Portal is also very well designed. I can't comment on the HL2 stuff as I haven't played it.

Honourable mention: Mountain of Faith. I admit, I'm a touhou fan right to the centre of my hitbox and I was absolutely addicted to this game for a month when it first came out. It's not for everyone, but it's definitely the more graphically superior touhou game of the series.

360 - Eternal Sonata; This game's beautiful. Simply beautiful. Namco Bandai have put a lot of effort in bringing this game out, but it was unfortunately overshadowed by Halo 3. The entire game is very, very colourful and enjoyable, and there's rarely a dull moment.

PS3 - lol

Honourable mention: lol

DS: Contra 4. If there was ever a game which made you feel like you were playing a newly released SNES title, this should be it. The difficulty remains the same (frustratingly hard) but it wouldn't be proper Contra without it. This is a direct sequel to Contra 3 from the SNES. The game plays well and doesn't butcher anything with DS touchscreen gimmicks or any of that nonsense commonly found in DS shovelware.

PSP: Disgaea. This is probably one of the best ports of a game I've ever seen. Everything about the original PS2 version is fixed - option to cut animations, proper Japanese in-battle sounds (which weren't in the PS2 ver), widescreen, better graphics, extra content, and pretty much a better game because of it. There's no reason to play the PS2 version after touching this.
djplaeskool
PS3 award goes to Drake's Fortune.
It's (sadly) one of the very few PS3 games that's taught and well-done in all aspects.
Great story, visual design, fun and frantic gameplay, excellent soundtrack, cinema-quality cutscenes and voice work...

either that or Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix btns.gif
dataark
[quote name='Elixir' date='Dec 27 2007, 01:34 AM' post='140992']
My Games of the Year:

Honourable mention <3: Zack and Wiki, for it's wacky design and neat puzzle solving. Game's hard as far as puzzles go, since messing up means you're screwed in different points. But it gives you the feeling that you're playing a 3D Monkey Island.

Sad part is the game sold poorly
Deets
Man whatever maybe people just haven't realized how good the game is and sales will explode after an appearance on Good Morning America
ParaParaKing
The sales are actually ok. Not great, but ok.
And I don't think Capcom expected big sales numbers for this title.
Hopefully it will be enough for a sequel and/or similar games.

On a personal note. It's still not out in PAL regions. mad.gif
FrozenHalo
I concur on the persona 3.

I'm playing through it right now actually. 112 hours into it. Almost finished...

almost..

But then I'm starting a new game+ to do the Slinks I didn't finish.

The only thing I have against the game is Fuuka's Voice actor. Just...I can't stand it. I ALMOST turned off voices because of it.
WILD RIDE
112 hours? What do you people do that's taking up so much time?...

I agree with Fuuka though. The combination of her awkward voice, and he awkward startled/scared pose is pretty annoying.
FrozenHalo
Well, count about 12-15 hours of that out. I fell asleep once.
Moogy
Fuuka is voiced by Mamiko Noto (!) in the JP version; go download the undub if you want to listen to a competent voice actress voice her.
FrozenHalo
Would if I had the patience to download it and could understand/read moonspeak.

(Don't get me wrong though. At least its someone competent.)
WILD RIDE
Everyone else is fine. Rukia and Edward Elric are in rare form. I couldn't even tell they were those people who they are. Well, I wasn't positive on Rukia, but Edward Elric I missed completely.

I am not looking up their real names. Or in Edward Elric's case, how to spell their real names.
FrozenHalo
Vic Mignogna aka Edward.

Yeah.

I got Michelle Ruff (Yukari) right off the fucking bat, after hearing Ai Yori Aoshi's dub, 08th MS Team and something else...I can't remember what.

edit:

it was chobits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.