Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAME THREAD
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327
Jadin
quit turnin that shit with your nipple
chotto kiitena
Dear Arc Rise Fantasia,

I would like to apologise for making fun of you for your terrible voice acting. I am currently playing the undub and you are actually a pretty good game.

Sincerely,
Xythar
Eggman of the Strata
See? It's just like I said. It's impossible to take seriously with the dub but it's really clear that everything else in the game is actually pretty good. I should go back to it. I hit what I thought was a pretty good stopping point (I have a few choices on where to go next) and went to play some shorter games in the meantime.
Tropical Pallete
Did we talk about Digsaea 4? Because it's coming out in February in Japan.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/17/disgaea-...-february-2011/

Apparently this is the game that will make or break NIS. Going by the trailer, I say happy trails.
chotto kiitena
Disgaea 4: Now slightly more high res
Tropical Pallete
And Harada designing six new characters, some NPCs, some villains, a few new classes, and calling it a game.

And some NIS fans wonder why the company is failing.
Deets
Man, the move to 360/PS3 has been tough on just about errybody in Japanese game development. NIS definitely ain't unique in that regard. They're probably starving right now! STARVING
Eggman of the Strata
I finished Yakuza 3's story with a whopping 12.85% completion rate in 17 hours 17 minutes. Awesome.
Mazrim
QUOTE (Moogy @ Sep 18 2010, 02:19 AM) *
When the Playstation came out and introduced memory cards, I remember marveling at the technology. Now I could rent games without the specter of lost save data looming over me!

A long time ago on vacation my brother and I were doomed to boredom for two days due to family business, so my mom rented a Playstation and FFVII for us. One small problem...no memory card, and she wasn't going to spend $30 for one! I got to the Don twice before having to turn off the system...it's no wonder I've never had any urge to finish that game.
Theoretically Gay
QUOTE (Tropical Pallete @ Sep 20 2010, 03:23 AM) *
And Harada designing six new characters, some NPCs, some villains, a few new classes, and calling it a game.

And some NIS fans wonder why the company is failing.

Because this never worked for Capcom.

No, the problem isn't that NIS keeps remaking the same game; it's that they keep remaking their worst game.
Deets
No, the problem isn't that NIS keeps remaking the same game; it's that they keep remaking their worst game.

OH SNAP
Schlagwerk
Did we talk about Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity? Because it's coming out in February in Japan.
PSP2 Infinity: Now a lot more PSO content

Also I found a huge typo in Metroid Other M. They accidentally printed Metroid on the box and in the game despite it obviously not being a Metroid game. Still a fun play, though
Mazrim
QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Sep 20 2010, 12:54 PM) *
Also I found a huge typo in Metroid Other M. They accidentally printed Metroid on the box and in the game despite it obviously not being a Metroid game. Still a fun play, though

Paging Dr. Snap to the burn ward!
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Mazrim @ Sep 20 2010, 01:51 PM) *
Paging Dr. Snap to the burn ward!

It's pretty much my feeling on the game, too, though. I've been saying that to everyone since I beat it. It's good at what it does - it just isn't a Metroid game. If they'd named it something else, switched out a few of the enemies and power-ups (and Samus and Adam), this could never be mistaken for a Metroid game. The ties to the series feel more like cameos than actual, integral parts of the game.
Mazrim
QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ Sep 20 2010, 02:54 PM) *
It's pretty much my feeling on the game, too, though. I've been saying that to everyone since I beat it. It's good at what it does - it just isn't a Metroid game. If they'd named it something else, switched out a few of the enemies and power-ups (and Samus and Adam), this could never be mistaken for a Metroid game. The ties to the series feel more like cameos than actual, integral parts of the game.

AND I still haven't played it since the first night...this is only making it harder for me to want to go back and play it some more... =\
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ Sep 20 2010, 01:54 PM) *
The ties to the series feel more like cameos than actual, integral parts of the game.

It's a shame too because the cameo bosses are about the only memorable bosses in the game.
My only real complaint not related to it not being Metroid-y enough is that the dodge is too powerful and too easy. Only one boss could still harm you if you dodged in the wrong direction. Some more situations like that would've helped to balance the dodge out. All the awesome attack patterns in the world become dull and forgettable when you dodge them all the exact same way: by tapping the d-pad in random directions until the attack is over

I used to hate more on the game but I can't deny the fact that the pacing is such that I repeatedly had problems pulling myself away from it and as soon as I beat it, I started up Hard and Normal (for a better completion time) runs immediately

Also some of the concept art in the Gallery looks way cooler than what made it into the game especially with Phantoon
Moogy
Man, I don't care how many times they recycle the same game, I'll buy every Disgaea game and play them to 100% completion. Probably multiple times.

I mean, yeah, the logical half of me knows that it's going to be pretty much the same game as Disgaea 3, but the fanboy half of me doesn't care.

I suppose I just have an addiction to crappy animu SRPGs. Guess I'd better buy Neptune, because I'm sure that game is a masterpiece!

(Second Novel is probably the next game published by N1 that I'll end up playing, though. Supposed to be very good.)
Eggman of the Strata
It's kind of like how I have a thing for playing extremely mediocre beat'em ups and RPGs...or at least I did back in the PS1/PS2 days when I played probably every game that came out between the two genres. I even finished both Legaia 2 AND Eve of Extinction!

I learned that I'm pretty dumb and should probably check control options in games more often. I tried Wipeout HD originally and it was too hard but couldn't figure out why. I'd just get passed by the other drivers. It never occurred to me that the game uses pressure sensitivity in buttons for things. Switched the sensitivity around so it'd go max from any pressure and instantly started winning hooray. Still, it's kind of dumb to not mention that in the demo.
security tubbs
QUOTE (Xenogenesis @ Sep 20 2010, 10:47 AM) *

That's pretty fucking true.

Meanwhile, Soul Nomad lies unloved in a fucking corner of the company, the one game that almost made me break my "no more NIS titles" rule when it seemed like they might get creative. Oops!
Tropical Pallete
Meh. I liked the first two Disgaea games, and kind of liked Phantom Brave. If you want to harp on shitty NIS games, point to La Pucelle Tactics.
Theoretically Gay
QUOTE (Tropical Pallete @ Sep 21 2010, 02:53 AM) *
Meh. I liked the first two Disgaea games, and kind of liked Phantom Brave. If you want to harp on shitty NIS games, point to La Pucelle Tactics.

You mean the one with the best (I've only played a few hours of Soul Nomad) story, least abusable leveling system, and most strategy-heavy battles of the tile-based games?
Tropical Pallete
You mean the one with battles that go on for way too long and focus on one character at a time zoomed in to their battle, a worthless recruiting system, the inability to save after completing a chapter, leveling up that makes Grandia's look fast, and brutally difficult areas for no good reason?
Theoretically Gay
battles that go on for way too long

Do you remember which chapters had the longest fights? I don't remember anything being obnoxiously long, but maybe I just had alot of patience back then?

focus on one character at a time zoomed in to their battle

I rather liked that aesthetic. However since that was togglable anyway, I'm not sure why you're complaining.

worthless recruiting system

Eh? Worthless? Monsters are kinndddaaa requisite to the whole item combining thing. Slaying an army of the most powerful recruited monsters is also the fastest way to powerlevel.

inability to save after completing a chapter

Yes, having to wait 1-2 minutes *max* for a chapter's opening cutscene totally ruins the game.

leveling up that makes Grandia's look fast

Yes, this levels the slowest of NIS's titles. But is the inability to get a Lv. 9999 character within three hours of starting a fresh save a bad thing?

brutally difficult areas for no good reason

Nothing in La Pucelle was unfair. Difficulty is good. As I said, game requires you to strategize, not just go "oh look i solod the game with laharl and now i'm 3x enemy level hurr"

E: DAMN you're making me wanna play La Pucelle again now.
Tropical Pallete
By "too long", I was referring to all the battles in general. The game is just too slow for me, and I didn't like the story or its characters enough to slug any farther. I also hated recruiting monsters in Disgaea, so you can imagine the fun I had in a game that takes even longer to level up than in that game.

I agree that Disgaea's leveling up is fucked up and it's way too easy to breeze your way through the game, but La Pucelle goes too far opposite in that direction. It takes forever to get the characters to even somewhat high levels. That's why (in my opinion) Disgaea 1 and 2 are much more accessible.

That, and I actually like the cast of Disgaea (at least the first game). Not a single character in La Puclle is memorable in the slightest.
kevin energy
sounds like somebody forgot captain homard

it's you
Tropical Pallete
Yeah, but that annoying-ass fairy that follows him around drowned my remembrance to an extent. I remember watching my brother play those parts of the game where he debuted, since they were the only parts I remember actually liking. But then the story later went to that "Oh SNAP! The guy who's been in our party all this time is now evil!" type of plot.

His subordinates are also no Prinnies, that's for sure.

Apparently the PSP port is a much better game, I hear. Too bad it's only in Japan.
chotto kiitena
i think what this all comes down to is that every SRPG sucks except final fantasy tactics
over there
naw even that sucks
WILD RIDE
FFT isn't even that good (but is infinitely better than FFTA)

I had similar problems with La Pucelle. It seemed like every battle (random battles too) went on for at least 45 minutes, and after not killing that whale boss, it seemed like leveling up to the level I needed to be was going to take way too long since you get at most 2 level ups per 45+ minutes battle. This is going from memory; I haven't played the game since I think 2004...
rmz
QUOTE (chotto kiitena @ Sep 21 2010, 03:44 AM) *
i think what this all comes down to is that every SRPG sucks except final fantasy tactics and front mission 3

fixed
Eggman of the Strata
Yeah, FFT and Front Mission are by far the best SRPGs

This week's PS1 "Classic" on sale on PSN is International Track and Field. Yeah.

However, Mega Man 10 is now $5, and so is the bundle of dlc for the game so that's pretty good.

Too bad PSN is down for maintenance today.
rmz
Got my Etrian Odyssey 3 and preorder artbook today yeaaaaaaah

See you in 2 months
BG_Hojo72
Tactics Ogre

and i was going to mention Front Mission as far as "long battles" go. there's something like 30 story battles in FM4 and i think it took me 50 hours to beat that game. maybe i'm just slow and my strategies are piss poor, which is likely the case.
Eggman of the Strata
Front Mission 4 only requires one strategy. And that is the Death Ball. You just move all of your characters together every round as one and eventually make sure you have an EMP guy to shut down whatever you come across. Then you just surround and rape. Also, give someone two shotguns and make them learn Snipe. You now will only hit the body with all of your shotgun shots. Twice.

Also yeah Tactics Ogre is really good....except leveling in the game is by far one of the dumbest things ever. No I do not want to do skirmishes against my own party, which takes like 20 minutes to do and gives me maybe one level per character to whichever side I want to win. Other than that though, yeah it's awesome. Really looking forward to the new PSP version.
rmz
QUOTE (IT medalion @ Sep 21 2010, 06:13 PM) *
Got my Etrian Odyssey 3 and preorder artbook today yeaaaaaaah

See you in 2 months

Wow this game feels way, way, way fresher than going from EO1 to EO2 did. All the classes are completely new, there's sub-specializations, sea exploration, and the skill lists are all much better designed, eliminating cases where some spells would become useless at high levels (Salve 1, etc).

Also, Prince/Princess is my favorite class in the series already. Massive HP/TP regeneration for your party through multiple sources automatically both inside and outside of combat and triggered as an added effect whenever you cast one of many buff spells on your party. Plus heavy armor and weapons for decent attack and defense. It seems to make grinding or extended exploration sessions waaaaaay less of a headache.
WILD RIDE
Ahhh, don't make me want to buy the game. I know I'll never play it.
rmz
I'm not going to get as much time to play it either starting today since FF14 comes out today, but oh well. I can probably still squeeze in an hour or so per night.
sir nabsalot
Yayyy Yahtzee hates the best. Pretty much sums up what you guys have been saying about Metroid M.
BG_Hojo72
QUOTE (BG_Hojo72 @ Sep 21 2010, 06:22 PM) *
my strategies are piss poor, which is likely the case.

i knew it. fuck me. oh well, i still enjoyed it. i'm the worst person to talk to about SRPG's though. the only one i've played and didn't enjoy was original PS1 Hoshigami because the game is so fucking brokenly bad. i should've gotten rid of Eternal Poison already but...i haven't. fuck all.
grayfox9996
QUOTE (sir nabsalot @ Sep 22 2010, 10:53 AM) *
Yayyy Yahtzee hates the best. Pretty much sums up what you guys have been saying about Metroid M.

Well he says the gameplay is "bad," and doesn't really say anything about the actual gameplay, which is 90% of what is actually good about the game. Controls could be better, but they're functional and do what they're supposed to (it really is just that they could be better), first person mode was unnecessary, but it works and does what it's supposed to, the level design is lacking and the powers are all just familiar retreads...but the actual core of the game is a fun and pretty well-designed experience in terms of combat, even if it's completely not like a Metroid game.

But all of the story stuff he said is spot on, totally.
adammm
QUOTE (ErAseRmoTor maXimUM @ Sep 15 2010, 07:40 AM) *
I just finished mass effect 2 and talked to her after every mission but I never got to have sex with dr. chakwas even after getting her drunk, can this situation be remedied

pfffffffffffffft you jus isn't spittin' enuff game sonnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Mazrim
So the Playstation Move is okay. Boring, but good controls. I'm glad I got it for free. (Also Capcom shot glasses!!!)
grayfox9996
Yeah, I don't see any killer apps for the Move yet. It needs some big games. I thought that was the point of Sony pushing it back from its old Spring 2010 release, was to increase software support? All I've seen are some Move-centric controls for some of their AAA titles next year, none of which are very interesting (Socom and Killzone and blahblahblah). At least Kinect has Dance Central and Child of Eden (which isn't confirmed for Move controls on the PS3 version).
Eggman of the Strata
Yeah, I've got a ton of credit at Best Buy to use up and I thought about getting a Move but the games they've added support for so far are games I've already played (RE5 and Heavy Rain) and I really don't need another Wii Sports Resort so there's really no point in getting one. Maybe some day when it's naturally cheaper and they get the library up. It could clearly be pretty awesome but right now it's just a "me too!" to the Wii.
BBH
Dead Rising 2's gonna own
chotto kiitena
QUOTE (BBH @ Sep 26 2010, 04:05 AM) *

It's already out here but I'm not really in any hurry to buy it tbh
Eggman of the Strata
Amazon currently has the Tatsunoko fight stick for $35.28 and free shipping. I'm really really tempted and it's sitting in my cart but I don't know if I want to bite or not. Does the online in the game actually work or is it all just people using Zero?
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Sep 26 2010, 11:08 PM) *
Amazon currently has the Tatsunoko fight stick for $35.28 and free shipping. I'm really really tempted and it's sitting in my cart but I don't know if I want to bite or not. Does the online in the game actually work or is it all just people using Zero?

I have almost no money and I'm still tempted to buy it and just skip eating for a while or something. I know that's not a viable plan, shut up!
Eggman of the Strata
I guess I'd be more tempted by it if I could find more games to play with it. Maybe Guilty Gear Accent Core+ or something. I never really played the series after XX. And the Wii got that Samurai Showdown Anthology didn't it?
rmz
GGAC is a good deal no matter what because you can usually find it for like $5.

Plus the TvC stick is just a MadCatz SE so you can mod that bitch easily
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.