Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAME THREAD
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327
WILD RIDE
I'm very for a rebalanced Street Fighter III, but I don't have a ton of faith in Capcom to do it right, and I know how angry Street Fighter fans get when anything. Still, they should do it. We need more non-SF2 people near the top.
Jadin
I played Limbo demo and didn't like it, but I didn't like Braid either, so maybe if you liked Braid you will like Limbo!
chotto kiitena
Makoto's Astral Heat is pretty cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcBDEfxvfi0
Deets
Yeah!!!
Deets
ps kev do a let's play of this game
Mazrim
Wow, that looks so incredibly awful it's amazing.
BG_Hojo72
Limbo is like a more atmospheric, less cleverly designed Braid. still enjoyable if you're into that, but not as much replay value. unlike Braid, there really isn't more than one way to solve any particular puzzle. at first, i thought "there should've been a timed leaderboard like Braid." then after getting the "No Point in Dying" achievement on my 3rd full playthrough of the game, i came to the realization that there's no real way to do any of the puzzles faster other than "push shit fast and start moving ASAP" and "grab ladders and ropes at the peak of your jump."
Deets
QUOTE (BG_Hojo72 @ Jul 25 2010, 08:05 PM) *
Limbo is a fucking amazing spiritual successor to Another World holy shit
rmz
Seconding Deets. Got a definite Another World vibe from it, in the best way.

Limbo is also an example of how an art game can be beautiful without shoving its ARTSINESS and WHOA LOOK AT OUR CLEVER TWIST ENDING in your face like Braid did

In short Limbo is amazing and Braid is overrated as fuck
Jadin
oh so NOW people don't like braid

so how long will it take everyone to hate ff13
rmz
If you do a thread search I'm pretty sure you'll find me saying Braid is overrated like a year ago

so how long will it take everyone to hate ff13

btns.gif
Eggman of the Strata
People hated FF13 like a full year before it even came out.
chotto kiitena
There was a brief spike in opinion when the game came out and people realised it wasn't quite as bad as it was hyped up to be but I think everyone has gone back to hating it now.

Except me btns.gif
Little Miss Prissy
QUOTE (chotto kiitena @ Jul 25 2010, 10:46 PM) *
There was a brief spike in opinion when the game came out and people realised it wasn't quite as bad as it was hyped up to be but I think everyone has gone back to hating it now.

Except me btns.gif

hey i actually think FF13 is a swell game too!

but i think that even if i was like everyone else and considered FF13 a bad game (which i definitely don't think it is; i'm having lots of fun with it), i could never completely hate it anyway because FF10-2's existence is forever engrained in my memory and i will always use that as a reference point for any square enix game for the rest of my life

melite is probably going to punch me for renegade run-on sentences, but whatever
Eggman of the Strata
QUOTE (chotto kiitena @ Jul 26 2010, 12:46 AM) *

Except me btns.gif

I have the platinum for the game so obviously I liked it plenty too (big surprise).

The overreaction's are pretty funny though. Apparently it's the worst Final Fantasy game ever made and the battle system is more broken than FF2's. I'm not sure how any person could actually say that with a straight face but whatever.

I also think it's funny that everyone is instead super hyped up over Versus 13 because they like the characters when they look so much more generic Nomura and because the game "has a map." Like, literally that's the big reason people want it.
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Jul 25 2010, 11:32 PM) *
I also think it's funny that everyone is instead super hyped up over Versus 13 because they like the characters when they look so much more generic Nomura and because the game "has a map." Like, literally that's the big reason people want it.

I thought Nomura said it was going to be an open-world action RPG with airships and such?
Eggman of the Strata
It has a world map but apparently that was scaled back some at some point. I don't even remember. The whole thing is just ridiculous to be excited over though when all they've shown is Cloud/Aeris 2, some cliffs and a gas station. I guess that makes it an amazing game though.

I'll be happy if it doesn't end up with braindead KH2-like combat.
BG_Hojo72
QUOTE (chotto kiitena @ Jul 25 2010, 10:46 PM) *
There was a brief spike in opinion when the game came out and people actually bothered to play it, but I think the only people that bother being overtly vocal about it now are the ones that are huge pre-FF7 fagtards and were too busy touching themselves to Relm X Ultros fanfics to bother touching it.

and as far as Braid being overrated as fuck...yeah. how "artful" is it if you need it explained to you, and even then it only kind of makes sense? but i think Braid is better from a puzzle design standpoint than Limbo. like i said, you can do things any multitude of ways in Braid, but only one way in Limbo. my first time through the Braid took the average 5 hours, my first full game speed run attempt was over an hour, then after changing my methods on stages, i got under 45 minutes, and after a bunch of optimization and practice, eventually hit 32 and a half minutes. most people gush about Braid because "OMG art." whatever, the stage design impressed the hell out me, personally. Limbo was Limbo, and subsequent playthroughs just involved less dying.

in any case, both Limbo and Braid were fucking fantastic and anybody that finished either and had the first thing that come to their mind be "3-5 hours for $15/$20? what a ripoff!" should go back to spending $60 for a 15-20 game and then put on a shit-eating grin when looking back at passing high school math.
Mazrim
Hey so GET HYPE for StarCraft 2! The Terran story is looking good based on the newest trailer so I'm really looking forward to the campaign.
rmz
The only thing I am hype for this week is BBCS. I haven't been able to enjoy an RTS since high school.
spineshark
practically everyone i know is getting starcraft 2 so i'll feel dumb if i don't buy it

i'll also feel dumb for paying $60 for a game i'm not sure i'm going to play much though so i just can't win.
Schlagwerk
Oh good, I wasn't the only one who immediately thought Out of this World when playing Limbo.
I think I'll pick it up when it eventually goes on sale for 50% off. That seems to work well for me these days.

I started to hate FFXIII after playing it for about 25 hours. And haven't played it again since.

I'm also picking up BBCS this week and should really pay for another 12 years of XBL Gold already. I figure I'll get SC2 eventually but right now I don't see anything about it that makes it a must have over SC1 and I haven't played that in years. ie- the game still seems to primarily reward speed over everything else.

Oh, and Ys vs Sora no Kiseki comes out on Thursday. I could care less how balanced it ends up being as a vs game. I'm more interested in the soundtrack that reads like a Falcom Greatest Hits collection.
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Jul 26 2010, 03:49 PM) *
should really pay for another 12 years of XBL Gold already

gonna be usin' gold on my xbox 4
Schlagwerk
QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ Jul 26 2010, 05:04 PM) *
gonna be usin' gold on my xbox 4D slim

fix'd
rmz
Fuck 3D TVs they'll be obsolete'd by 4D right after they come out
Eggman of the Strata
QUOTE (rmz @ Jul 26 2010, 03:28 PM) *
The only thing I am hype for this week is BBCS. I haven't been able to enjoy an RTS since high school.

Have you tried Company of Heroes or Dawn of War 2? Relic's done some really nice stuff with the RTS genre.

I'm getting BBCS after work tomorrow and I have Arc Rise Fantasia showing up from amazon some day.
WILD RIDE
No BlazBlue anything on PSN this week. If we don't get Makoto at the same time as XBL I'm going to be kind of very annoyed.
Eggman of the Strata
XBL is probably going to get Makoto first because the 1.01 patch for the game is included with her on 360. It's not a separate download. Whereas the PS3 version has it right now.

Also, no BBCS for me since apparently no one actually carries the game. Best Buy has nothing for it even though they heavily stocked the first game and EB had a whopping one extra copy for each system over its preorders and they were both gone "within minutes."
sir nabsalot
SC2 scares the crap out of me, the first one was way too fun and the main reason why I tend to steer clear of anything Blizzard makes. I'll be forced to buy this sooner or later though, god help me. BBCS (and fighting games in general) should be more than enough to keep me entertained in the meantime I think. Oh and I heard that trials hd will be getting another expansion, hooorrayyyyy

QUOTE (spineshark @ Jul 26 2010, 04:27 PM) *
practically everyone i know is getting starcraft 2 so i'll feel dumb if i don't buy it

i'll also feel dumb for paying $60 for a game i'm not sure i'm going to play much though so i just can't win.

Blizzard doesn't want you to win.
rmz
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Jul 27 2010, 06:35 PM) *
Also, no BBCS for me since apparently no one actually carries the game. Best Buy has nothing for it even though they heavily stocked the first game and EB had a whopping one extra copy for each system over its preorders and they were both gone "within minutes."

A lot of stores aren't getting it until today, it seems like. I got it yesterday because I preordered, but another guy I know only managed to get a copy by calling every Gamestop in the city until he found one.

The new Tutorial mode is reeeaaallllly in-depth, it's surprising. Towards the end it even gets into strategy like wake-up games and mixups. I won't hesitate to recommend that to people new to the game.

Still haven't had a chance to get into Story Mode yet because I was playing Vs. mode all last night but this weekend I should be able to do it. I already know most of what happens in the story, though, so eh.
Schlagwerk
I went with a coworker who was picking up his preordered SC2 from a Gamestop and they had BBCS, but it was in the back and hadn't been put out on shelves yet. I even had mistaken a BBCT case on the shelf for BBCS, proving I've never seen the original case for more a couple of seconds.
Then I opened up the BBCS case and was greeted by anime ass cheeks on the disc and the strangest, improbable, full frontal mostly-nudity costume design on the 5 page manual.

I just wanna know how to turn off the fucking announcer COUNTER COUNTER COUNTER
Well that and how to display the move motions instead of just the move names in Challenge mode.
rmz
QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Jul 28 2010, 09:34 AM) *
Well that and how to display the move motions instead of just the move names in Challenge mode.

Bind a key to FN2 (I think) on Button Config and there you go
Eggman of the Strata
Well, I own it for PS3 now. I'm not entirely sure of my wireless connection to the PS3 but network tests show it going just fine so we'll see.
WILD RIDE
Oh boy, you'd better stick with Arakune so you can be the only person on PSN who uses him.
Eggman of the Strata
I don't understand why no one uses him. I never really fought too many in the first game on XBL either (and I beat the #7 ranked Arakune player, the highest ranked Arakune I ever saw).
Jadin
is that sarcasm or no

oh yeah how did they change arakune?
if I get the game then I'd still play him

edit: new zelda1 swordless tas :> http://tasvideos.org/1577M.html
Eggman of the Strata
What's there to be sarcastic about? I fought maybe one Arakune each time I played the first game.

Arakune's moves are largely slowed down (especially his dives) and his drive no longer does curse on hit. You have to hit them with a few curse attacks (about four I'd say) to build up the bar above his super bar. Once it's full, they get cursed and it only wears off over time, not when Arakune gets hit. The bugs are also larger and easier to see and move slower and his D bug doesn't hit as much. His multi-hit C attack does less damage.
Jadin
sorry I had the window open a bit before replying to it, I was talkin about wild ride's post :>
because I assumed arakune would be popular because he's so cool but I guess not
edit: so basically you have to curse people 4 times and D moves won't do it? :<

edit2: maybe a glitched TAS of SotN coming :> best ending in :57
Eggman of the Strata
Every D move you do does a varying amount of "curse damage" for the bar. The in-air clouds seem to give the most. I can't remember if the bar goes up on block too but I don't think it does.

He's not especially popular overall though, even though he has excellent matchups against just about everyone.

I'm going to start working on unlocking Mu.
Putf8umHawke
Welp, looks like every copy of BBCS got held up at the border because not even Walmart or EB games had any when I checked. Even Amazon.ca is reporting a 2-4 week wait time. Goddammit.
Eggman of the Strata
I tried playing two online matches to see how my connection works. Looks like I'll be dragging the PS3 up here or finding a way to drill some more holes to string another network cable down there because that's annoying. The first match felt sort of okay, except it was against a Lambda player who clearly is not a level 1 player and that's still the most annoying combo setup ever, especially with Arakune's dives being slower and his airdash b now having less priority. Second match was against a Litchi and it was a 0 bar connection and it was just awful. Sure would be nice if the game told me my connection before I tried to have a match! I actually won against the Litchi though. It was pretty clear that they were getting off their combos since I'd just get bounced into the corner for half the match but once I got used to the full second of lag, I used my great yomi to take him down.
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Jul 28 2010, 10:08 PM) *
lag yomi

This is a skill I could not master.
Eggman of the Strata
It involves giving up entirely on the first round to plan out the entire second and third rounds. And also bees.
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Jul 28 2010, 10:58 PM) *
It involves giving up entirely on the first round to plan out the entire second and third rounds. And also bees.

I wish Bison had some bees. sad.gif

Also, hey, I'm somewhere around 6 months late to the party, but Mass Effect 2 is awesome, especially after they made resource mining easier.
Eggman of the Strata
Yeah but they instead made it the most boring thing ever. At least there was some neat space scenery to look at and the Mako's hilarious tumbling to watch before. And they pretty much tore any interesting bit of story entirely out of the game.
rmz
Mass Effect 2 is fun, but it's even more of a shooter and even less of an RPG than Mass Effect 1 was, which is a shame. I still should finish it, though.
Deets
Not being able to back out of a ranked match if the other guy has an unplayable connection is a terrible idea and I hope they patch that shit! Especially since everything else in CS' online mode is much improved. Especially the way the D-Card works now, holy cow.
grayfox9996
QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ Jul 29 2010, 12:47 AM) *
Yeah but they instead made it the most boring thing ever. At least there was some neat space scenery to look at and the Mako's hilarious tumbling to watch before. And they pretty much tore any interesting bit of story entirely out of the game.

Oh, no, I mean they actually patched it to make it go hilariously faster. Once you research the upgrade to make resource mining go faster, it's like 4x faster than it used to be - I'll scan a whole planet in about 2 minutes now, and you get tons of resources for every probe you send out, it seems like. Sometimes, I would still prefer the Mako...but I fucking LOVE the Hammerhead compared to the Mako, so I'm looking forward to them utilizing that (or something like it) more for ME3.

And yeah, it's definitely much more of a linear shooter experience than the big, open RPG-shooter hybrid that ME1 was...but it helps that they focused on the combat, because it made the combat way more interesting and fun than it was in ME1. That game was just a step above their RPGs in terms of gameplay, but ME2 is actually good, with some quibbles still (like the damn cover mechanic still sucking it up - they need to just steal the Gears or Uncharted cover mechanics, seriously). And while the overarching story isn't as interesting as the first so far, I love delving into the backstory for all of my team members, and actually getting to do some interesting missions revolving entirely around them.
Schlagwerk
Apparently I suck at combos in Blazblue. I'm lucky if I can clear anyone's Challenge #3, let alone #4. The computer keeps teching most of the time and for the life of me I don't see how I could get moves out faster to keep them from teching. Lol basic combos. I haven't even seen "practical" or "advanced" yet
rmz
QUOTE (Deets @ Jul 29 2010, 09:14 AM) *
Not being able to back out of a ranked match if the other guy has an unplayable connection is a terrible idea and I hope they patch that shit!

I haven't done any online yet, but assuming D-cards are still displayed before the match, I think that Arcsys's line of thinking is that giving people the option to back out on the D-card screen is basically going to lead to people quitting whenever they see a character pop up that they have a bad matchup with.

If they do (or could, if they're not already) provide a separate "You have XYZ connection strength with this person. Proceed? Y/N" prompt, perhaps that would be a good solution.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.