Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sony kills lik-sang
Solid State Squad Forums > Other Discussion > Take It Easy
Nahbien
Sony kills lik-sang by suing the crap outa them sad.gif
Mazrim
SONY WILL SUE

Lik-Sang wasn't so graceful about it either.
rmz
Lik-Sang's service pisses (pissed?) me off. OH HI TWO WEEKS AFTER YOU ORDERED WE DECIDE TO TELL YOU THAT THAT ITEM IS ACTUALLY NOT IN STOCK AT ALL
Axem Rangers
Never used Lik-Sang, but regardless, this is the worst bullshit ever.
starnix17
I wonder what this means for other large exporters.

*cough*Play-Asia*cough*
djplaeskool
The one thing I will miss about Lik-Sang was their strange ability to have random pieces of ole hardware and accessories available.
Like when my Sega Saturn a'sploded and took the converter cartridge with it. They just to happened to not only have the 4-in-1's, but the original ST-Keys, so i ordered one of each and a slew of Gashapons for the hell of it, and had them all in 2 business days.

As much maligned as Lik-Sang was for some users, they had a ton of experience under their belt and will be missed.

How will the other export/import companies respond?
Himeya, Play-Asia, Yes-Asia (though Yes-Asia is less gung-ho about Asian Hardware)...
Will we start seeing hardware disappear from availability?

If I remember correctly, in nearly every company-like-this's bylaws, they have a notice to the tune of "By purchasing hardware and software that is not for your region, you are assuming all responsibility for operation and understand that any and all warranties by manufacturer are null and void"...

and yes, that little shot at Sony at the end had little to no tact.
If an injuction at a judical level can stand up, then ranting doesn't really help.
Though Sony did basically stongarm them into a brick wall, I wouldn't expect Lik-Sang to have the resources to defend their actions on an international scope...

Oh well...
I guess the moral of the story is, Legitamate and Illegitamate business don't mix.
They should've stopped selling crap they knew could've gotten tham in trouble.
Remy
QUOTE(djplaeskool @ Oct 24 2006, 03:47 PM) *
Though Sony did basically stongarm them into a brick wall, I wouldn't expect Lik-Sang to have the resources to defend their actions on an international scope...

That's the thing - Lik-Sang didn't even try. They didn't show up for court, and they haven't paid any damages.

They shut down on their own to make a big stink and get everyone shouting OMG SONY SUCKS FUCK SONY.

And it's worked pretty well, it seems.
djplaeskool
QUOTE(Remy @ Oct 24 2006, 05:23 PM) *
That's the thing - Lik-Sang didn't even try. They didn't show up for court, and they haven't paid any damages.

They shut down on their own to make a big stink and get everyone shouting OMG SONY SUCKS FUCK SONY.

You know, I never really thought that Lik-Sang would've played the Martyr in this.
I mean, with the amount of business they did, you're right...they could've gotten somebody there to represent them...
Usually, when legal matters arise between international entities, a fierce and epic battle ensues, and they've decided to be a doormouse in this.
Trip Machina
Man oh man, this is QUITE the bad news. >_<

This is one of the worst case scenarios in the gaming industry.
...however, it's kinda funny how SCEE top directors got their PSPs in Lik-Sang packages so early.

BTW, what are "gray market imports"?
djplaeskool
QUOTE(Trip Machina @ Oct 24 2006, 06:32 PM) *
BTW, what are "gray market imports"?

Grey Market trade is basically the sale of goods through channels and to destinations not authorized by the manufacturer to distribute. It's not that it's illegal, but it could potentially create unwanted liability for the original manufacturer, so they make concerted efforts to minimize it.
Axem Rangers
This is like motherfucking bleem!, Part 2.
Omni
QUOTE(Remy @ Oct 24 2006, 05:53 PM) *

And again, Remy is the voice of reason.
davidbrit2
Hay guys, did you hear about the new Sueny PSĀ£?
Trip Machina
QUOTE(djplaeskool @ Oct 24 2006, 06:41 PM) *
Grey Market trade is basically the sale of goods through channels and to destinations not authorized by the manufacturer to distribute. It's not that it's illegal, but it could potentially create unwanted liability for the original manufacturer, so they make concerted efforts to minimize it.

Ah thanks, I was wondering about that.
Hopefully, no other import dealers will 'make the same mistake' or at least make themselves HELLA known to Sony. >.>
Gorrum
it looked like Songy sued instead of Sony
rmz
QUOTE(Trip Machina @ Oct 24 2006, 03:32 PM) *
This is one of the worst case scenarios in the gaming industry.

uh?
chotto kiitena
QUOTE(Remy @ Oct 24 2006, 04:23 PM) *

Sony's case was kind of BS as well, tho. Yeah, I'm sure it was 100% for protecting the consumer and certainly not so they can charge said consumer hundreds of dollars extra to purchase Sony products locally instead of importing them.

It's the same here. We get gouged like hell for anything related to videogames and nobody seems to want to do anything about it. This is sort of close-to-home for me for that reason - if Sony somehow managed to prevent me from importing anything it would make videogaming a hell of a lot more expensive and less enjoyable for me.
rmz
QUOTE(XytharDX @ Oct 24 2006, 06:53 PM) *
Sony's case was kind of BS as well, tho. Yeah, I'm sure it was 100% for protecting the consumer and certainly not so they can charge said consumer hundreds of dollars extra to purchase Sony products locally instead of importing them.

It's the same here. We get gouged like hell for anything related to videogames and nobody seems to want to do anything about it. This is sort of close-to-home for me for that reason - if Sony somehow managed to prevent me from importing anything it would make videogaming a hell of a lot more expensive and less enjoyable for me.

I was about to ask how the hell importing is cheaper than domestic games for you, then I remembered that you live in Australia where even with the exchange rates you pay 150% what everyone else does.
WILD RIDE
The lawsuits they are talking about, by the way, involve Sony's attempts to make gray market imports of console systems illegal, especially in Europe.

Hey, that stupid anti-PS3 site was right. Sony does hate Europe.
Jadin
Money, money, money =(
WILD RIDE
QUOTE(Milk-Chan)
It's always money, money, money, money, money :(

Wait, that wasn't funny.
over there
Songy, what the fuck did you do that for?

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind dry.gif
PkerUNO
We're not rich men.
rmz
"'Cause money, money, it's what we want. Money, money, it's what we ain't got."

Or something like that. Kudos to anyone who gets what I'm (poorly) referring to.
Mazrim
QUOTE(rmz @ Oct 25 2006, 01:28 AM) *

Or something like that. Kudos to anyone who gets what I'm (poorly) referring to.

It's a good thing people like to randomly give you large wads of bills for saving girls.

P.S. All the music related to those guys in the game is so awesome. laugh.gif
Mister Crash
QUOTE(rmz)

First thing that crossed my mind was Freedom of Choice by Devo:

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Man, I'm old.
Omni
You're not old. Devo is just that awesome. biggrin.gif
Kirby Kirby Kirby
And I thought of ABBA's Money, Money, Money.

It's great how everyone thinks of something else.
PkerUNO
QUOTE(Kirby Kirby Kirby @ Oct 27 2006, 07:13 AM) *
And I thought of ABBA's Money, Money, Money.

It's great how everyone thinks of something else.

That's what I was alluding to. smile.gif
kevin energy
Reminded me of Parappa.

Money money money, is all you need

(ever since my momma was a baby)

((I can sell a bottlecap like this))
WILD RIDE
If anyone else thought of the same thing as me, I pity them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.