Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [VJA] 4.0 Preview
Solid State Squad Forums > News & Suggestions > Last Message
Pages: 1, 2
Remy
I have put together a preview of the mass of changes coming to the site at the end of the month.

http://vjarmy.com/archives/2006/08/vj_army_40_preview.php

Feedback is appreciated but, again, the rewrite is not done yet and you should avoid raging too much.
Axem Rangers
First poast.

Looking good, Remy. biggrin.gif
Mews
That's incredible. Can't wait till September! biggrin.gif
chotto kiitena
Wow. I sort of liked the look of the old one's front page better, but this new shiny Mac feel is pretty cool as well. And I do like the new song session page etc.

You also read my mind with the PNN comment although of course I wasn't thinking in such harsh terms... >_> tongue.gif
rura
You'll notice a lot of little touches that can't be shown via screenshots once 4.0 is actually released as well.  Things like how updating your score through quick entry will update the row and resort the whole table on session without a reload.  Or how you can sort ascending or descending on any column in session dynamically (and if you have a quick entry box opened it will sort and stay attached to the proper row).

We're a long way from finished, but it's going to be great.
FrozenHalo
While I like the new layout, I do like the old A/AA/AAA type icons better. They look more...iidx-ish
chardish
Biggest plus: That awesome AJAX-ified Song Session page. Much much easier to read, and very classy.

Biggest minus: The AAA image. Whatever happened to SOLID GOLD (lol get it?) Now it just looks kind of...yellow. And plain old Arial makes it look very non-exciting. It doesn't really look like an award anymore.
rmz
Big thumbs up, I've always thought the current graphics have looked a little dated.

Being able to update your score on the Session page without going to a separate score entry page is a GODSEND.
chardish
I respectfully submit:

I think they fit more with the IIDX theme than just plain black Helvetica text, and appear more "award"-like, while sacrificing none of the glossy appeal of the new design.

I can continue, if you'd like.
FrozenHalo
ohmy.gif

Sexy. Sleek.

I like cool.gif
chotto kiitena
Also, I think on the song view page it should show the genre above the song title in smaller, capital text to look more IIDX-y (as opposed to next to the artist in brackets). I just think it'd be cool.
Santiago22
QUOTE(XytharDX @ Aug 5 2006, 11:12 PM) *
Also, I think on the song view page it should show the genre above the song title in smaller, capital text to look more IIDX-y (as opposed to next to the artist in brackets). I just think it'd be cool.

Yes, please.

Good work Remy/rura/et al. It looks better every time I see it. =)
Jadin
QUOTE(chardish @ Aug 5 2006, 10:51 PM) *
I respectfully submit:

I think they fit more with the IIDX theme than just plain black Helvetica text, and appear more "award"-like, while sacrificing none of the glossy appeal of the new design.

I can continue, if you'd like.

black borders instead of grey? =)

This is absolutely amazing work, guys! Great talent and organization.

and now for more ongoing suggestions:
...maybe since there are so many different tastes in icons, could there be different icon sets (i.e. default, chardish's set, etc.) to choose from in a preferences menu?

oh... and any news about course session/view updates? =)
FrozenHalo
QUOTE(Jadin @ Aug 6 2006, 03:59 AM) *
could there be different icon sets (i.e. default, chardish's set, etc.) to choose from in a preferences menu?

You sir, are a genius.
Team Ragnarok
That new interface looks absolutely sexy, though I agree - there should be a different set of grade icons (I prefer Chardish's icons, though the ability to choose wouldn't be bad either).

Regardless, I can't wait till this goes up.
starnix17
Looks very nice, especially the new interface.

Will there still be cats and sailboats? biggrin.gif
FrozenHalo
YES cat and sailboat mode must be revived!
jammitch!
Looking forward to wreaking havoc helping out through community source.
over there
QUOTE(chardish @ Aug 5 2006, 11:15 PM) *
Biggest plus: That awesome AJAX-ified Song Session page. Much much easier to read, and very classy.

Biggest minus: The AAA image. Whatever happened to SOLID GOLD (lol get it?) Now it just looks kind of...yellow. And plain old Arial makes it look very non-exciting. It doesn't really look like an award anymore.

CAT/SAILBOAT MOTHERFUCKER :3
jammitch!
QUOTE(otaku1313 @ Aug 6 2006, 11:01 AM) *
CAT/SAILBOAT/MOTHERFUCKER

Slightly improved.
FrozenHalo
DJ Sharpnel what?
Raving Loony Society
The score pics up on the current example are pretty bland, but Chardish's would make a great solution, even if you didn't have anything else in mind already. It wouldn't surprise me if you intended to change it all along, really :3 Other than that, it looks fantastic. I've always wanted a text search.
THECapedCaper
It looks excellent. I can't wait also!
Mazrim
Very nice looking improvements. I agree with all the changes. =)

Also, on View Song, I can't tell what difficulty Red Zone is on in that screen shot. Need to put a difficulty on there somewhere.
Dexor
Big fan of the new look! Ever think about making a Vj Army program that people could download for updating and what not?
TheKnightOfNee
On the View Song pages, where you find a song, I noticed the genres aren't shown in the song results, though it does say you can search by genre. Could you show genre there too?

Also, for searching for song, will there be anything to put exact matches first, or something? I can picture several problems when searching for certain songs (A, V). And for songs in Japanese characters, will people be able to search by the romanization for them too, or would we need to actually enter in the characters?
Santiago22
QUOTE(TheKnightOfNee @ Aug 7 2006, 12:57 AM) *
On the View Song pages, where you find a song, I noticed the genres aren't shown in the song results, though it does say you can search by genre. Could you show genre there too?

Also, for searching for song, will there be anything to put exact matches first, or something? I can picture several problems when searching for certain songs (A, V). And for songs in Japanese characters, will people be able to search by the romanization for them too, or would we need to actually enter in the characters?

genres: those need to be shown. on song search and view song.

view song: needs difficulty shown.

japanese language titles: IMHO there should be two fields: one for the "native" title (桜) and one for romanized (Sakura) so both can be searched. i think that would go well with the i18n efforts.
chardish
Since people seem to like my score icons, I'll finish the set today (B-F.)
Jadin
=)
If they incorporate the 'icon preferences' idea, lots of people should make them so we have more variety!
FrozenHalo
The old school Icons should definitly be in that list then biggrin.gif
chardish
Full set of icons. I took the opportunity to tweak AA and A a little bit, as they weren't exactly to my liking.

And clear status:

[img]http://cheertrain.org/vja/vjap.png[/img][img]http://cheertrain.org/vja/vjafp.png[/img]

Oh, and I give VJ Army full permission to use these icons for whatever purposes, blah blah blah.
FrozenHalo
You sir, win. smile.gif

Love them
Mazrim
I second Frozen Halo's opinion. Those look great, though I'd prefer to have FC as Green (like it is right now in Song Session) and PC as Yellow/Gold, because it has more importance IMO.
FrozenHalo
Very true, and also somthing I noticed but didn't pay mind to.

The golden PC would make it look more imporant.
Mafia Boss
Does the camo theme look dumb to anyone else? I like the current VJA color scheme a lot more than army greens. Ick.
FrozenHalo
Speaking of that...for future 4.* updates there should be selectable themes. wink.gif

Ohhohoho, hope Remy, rura and et al aren't going to be worked into their deathbeds XD
Santiago22
QUOTE(Mafia Boss @ Aug 7 2006, 08:53 PM) *
Does the camo theme look dumb to anyone else? I like the current VJA color scheme a lot more than army greens. Ick.

I like the color scheme.

But if you mean the logo, then that's not a final. This from rura himself.
Spiritsnare
QUOTE(jammitch! @ Aug 6 2006, 01:08 PM) *
QUOTE(otaku1313 @ Aug 6 2006, 09:01 AM) *

CAT/SAILBOAT/MOTHERFUCKER :3

Slightly improved.

Then who'll be the motherfucker?
Trip Machina
Wow Remy, 2.0 looks awesome! Also, I'm liking the chardish'd icons. ^__^
FrozenHalo
QUOTE(Trip Machina @ Aug 9 2006, 02:04 AM) *
Wow Remy, 4.0 looks awesome! Also, I'm liking the chardish'd icons. ^__^

fixed?
Jadin
at first sight I missed the comma, reading "wow, Remy 2.0 looks awesome!" as if he got some kind of workout upgrade or something =P
Remy
QUOTE(Jadin @ Aug 9 2006, 04:10 AM) *
at first sight I missed the comma, reading "wow, Remy 2.0 looks awesome!" as if he got some kind of workout upgrade or something =P

Well, I did get a haircut...

The logo is not final, that is very much official.
darknote
so a select bunch of members get access to the source to mess around with upgrading and such, will they be making those changes directly on the site or is there a user testing environment for quality control, or multiple testing tiers, or...?
rura
There is a version control tree with a staging site now (svn postcommit script) along with a trac-based project management system.  What follows is a rough idea as to how we're going to work things after 4.0's release.  I say rough because I just made it up based on a few conversations I've had with Remy and haven't discussed it with him at all.   cool.gif

Those who have access (and, while not as exclusive as it is now, it will be a very limited subset of users still) will commit to the tree for future milestones.  Someone else (remy or myself) will likely review their code after it's in the tree to make sure everything is ok.  When we hit a milestone we'll export the svn tree out to the publicly accessible directories of the site.
Blo0P
All I can say is wow, it looks incredable. Keep up the good work guys and I can't wait to see what you do with PNN. smile.gif
Nahbien
Looking Very very nice! I can't wait.

I love the updating scores without loading another page smile.gif
Arimasen
It looks fine, but Pop'n Navy's front page really needs to be worked on more. It looks horrid.
grayfox9996
QUOTE(Arimasen @ Aug 13 2006, 02:39 PM) *
It looks fine, but Pop'n Navy's front page really needs to be worked on more. It looks horrid.

This will be fixed after 4.0 goes up - Remy has already said they're going to be basing the new version of PNN on it. So it'll happen soon enough. smile.gif
Arbel
Looks awesome, and I'm glad PNN is getting some treatment. It defnitely needs a major upgrade. I like this new style a lot.
starnix17
Since it has Web 2.0 in the name does that mean it will have tagging, RSS feeds everywhere, some form of social networking, and lots of venture capital funding?

And on a more serious note...
Are the status images going to stay the same?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.