Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VJ Army Goes Global
Solid State Squad Forums > News & Suggestions > Last Message
rura
(In what is a very poorly kept secret to those who frequent the IRC channel) I am happy to announce that VJ Army is adding localization support.  Most of the framework is in place and the vast majority of the bugs have already been ironed out thanks to the efforts of sanchny.  However, I'm not even sure how many nationalities are actually represented on VJ Army!

I am willing to put up a translation for any language people want, but it would be very helpful if anyone who makes a translation to stick around to maintain it since any new features will require updated language packs!  Remy and I will try not to horribly break the translated sites, but some features may show up in english if people don't update promptly.

So, what languages do people here speak natively?  Sanchny has already stepped up and provided a Spanish localization and Pkeruno has graciously offered to do an Italian one.  A Japanese version is a no-brainer but will require a native Japanese speaker.  Surely we have a few here. smile.gif  French?  German?  Korean?  The sky is the limit.

Finally, if anybody is so gung ho that they can't wait for the 1.0 translation pack find me on IRC and I'll add you into the developer code so you can help find bugs and work on your own translation.
rmz
I suggest Miz or Godai for the Japanese translation. MANIA lives in Germany, I think, and I'm not sure how much French Sakurina knows but he lives in French Canada.
ParaParaKing
I could do the German one, but I guess I'd never use it.
Mews
I could do the Korean one if no coding experience is necessary.
sanchny
QUOTE(Mews @ Jul 7 2006, 02:56 AM) *
I could do the Korean one if no coding experience is necessary.

No coding experience necessary at all. You just translate the strings in a text file, basically. There are slightly over 300, ranging from ones that are 1 word long to some (very few) that are a few sentences long. Most are a few words, though. Random examples:

$locale['songsession'] = "Song Session";
$locale['songsessinfo'] = "Enter individual song scores.";

$locale['isyourrival'] = "is your rival."; // is your rival

And stuff like that, where all you do is translate the stuff in quotes.
Axem Rangers
Wow... Cool.

And yet another feature we get before "View All Games" for P'nN. XD
Kirby Kirby Kirby
How much French I know? Seeing as how about 7% of the province knows is Anglophone, I don't have much of a choice. Heh. :/

But my English is better than my French. Maybe because French is such a complicated, useless language?

edit: Due to my hatred of French culture and language, I don't think you'll see me using it. But I might stop being an arrogant bastard and help with the localization.
Axem Rangers
rolleyes.gif

All Romance languages are equally simplistic.
Lord Glenn
I'm from geneva, my main language is french so I can speak it well, I can speak a little german too but I don't have a good english, slyanh (a french) can help for the translation too
rura
No experience required mews. Anyone else who thinks they can do one should go ahead and PM me on the forums or message me on IRC and I'll get you hooked up with the current example file (v0.3).

Edit: I changed my mind a bit about exposing the functionality. While it's incomplete there is now a dropdown menu for swapping between english and spanish at the end of the header (and in the upper right corner if you aren't logged in on the main page). It will just change your URL from http://vjarmy.com/iidx/ to http://vjarmy.com/iidx/sp/ .

This is a URL you can send to any user and it will remain in the language you had selected (mod_rewrite is doing a QSA on the URL based on the /sp/ portion of the URL). More languages will appear in the dropdown as we progress, and of course the prefs will have a choice to set a default language.

And I know that Espanol is missing the tilde at the moment. I'll fix it soon!
Remy
QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Jul 7 2006, 07:38 AM) *
Wow... Cool.

And yet another feature we get before "View All Games" for P'nN. XD

Why hello 10 minutes of coding, so good to see you again!
SEXYSEXYCHEVY
Fun stuff, but the different song sorting modes don't seem to do anything in Spanish mode... at least not for me.
rura
QUOTE(chickensnack @ Jul 7 2006, 09:20 PM) *
Fun stuff, but the different song sorting modes don't seem to do anything in Spanish mode... at least not for me.

And we have another one of those fun "js written prior to the concept of language support" bugs.  On the list.
ParaParaKing
QUOTE(Remy @ Jul 8 2006, 10:46 AM) *

Can my eyes believe what they see. Thanks for the All Pop'n option. biggrin.gif
Saiyajin
I'll help with Japanese if you guys want.
chotto kiitena
I wish I could help with something sad.gif

Oh well, this is pretty cool anyway.

Is the thread title a GET IT? smile.gif
Axem Rangers
QUOTE(Remy @ Jul 7 2006, 09:46 PM) *

HahahahahahaYES.

Thanks SO much, Remy. biggrin.gif
Remy
QUOTE(XytharDX @ Jul 8 2006, 01:35 AM) *
Is the thread title a GET IT? smile.gif

Rura's knowledge of 5-key is non-existant, so I'm going to hope not.
Songy
QUOTE(ParaParaKing @ Jul 7 2006, 02:43 AM) *
I could do the German one, but I guess I'd never use it.

I will. wub.gif
MANIA
Hey I love to translate! Let me do it please smile.gif
Just PM me. I'll work on it.
rura
I'm not sure if ParaParaKing is already working on a German translation, but I'll PM you the example file and you can make sure you two aren't duplicating any work. As soon as somebody gets me another translation it will appear in the dropdown menus on the site.

However, I should stress that at this point the translations are very beta and very incomplete. Please don't go announcing the support on any foreign websites until VJA 3.1 is officially "released". smile.gif
sanchny
QUOTE(rura @ Jul 10 2006, 12:41 PM) *
However, I should stress that at this point the translations are very beta and very incomplete. Please don't go announcing the support on any foreign websites until VJA 3.1 is officially "released". smile.gif

Yeah, there are still bugs, as well as stuff that we've completely missed that still needs translation (like originalcourseedit.php).

If you see anything wrong with the Spanish translation, be it a typo or something stylistic, don't hesitate to bring it up. I'm open for suggestions for it, especially since I don't really browse sites in Spanish so I wasn't too sure how to translate certain "technical" things, let alone IIDX-related things.
over there
Willl the Spanish language for pop'n Navy change all the scores to Cools, Goods, and Bads, with no Greats for anything?
smarty_giuseppina
hoboken hotel w is a bunch of big stupid morons and their butt stinks and they like to kiss their own butt.
chotto kiitena
...what?

Forgive my suspicion, but are you Googlebombing? >_>
PkerUNO
Now THIS is new. Someone spamming hotels... on a videogame ranking website. Good job.
ParaParaKing
I just realized, that it would be a good idea to have a sub-forum for every language, that is supported by the site, so we can provide assistance for the people, who are in need and aren't fluent in English.

Also the German language file was just send to rura. wink.gif
PkerUNO
So I'm the only one taking weeks to finish it, then? :/
Axem Rangers
QUOTE(otaku1313 @ Jul 11 2006, 12:32 AM) *
Willl the Spanish language for pop'n Navy change all the scores to Cools, Goods, and Bads, with no Greats for anything?

I lol'd.
chotto kiitena
QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Jul 11 2006, 10:59 AM) *
I lol'd.

Oh shit, I just got it, after spending all day not getting it and complaining on IRC that I didn't get it.
rura
I put up the German translation and added support into the code for it. I only had to fix one set of unescaped quotes. smile.gif MANIA was looking at a German translation as well, so hopefully with two eyes on this current revision any problems can be caught.
ParaParaKing
Just noticed, that the vjarmy link in the navigation bar to the far left always links to the english version.
rura
Known issue, although you should post those things to the other thread now. smile.gif

Date formats for Spanish and German now do dd/mm/yy instead of the English mm/dd/yy.  Tons of AJAX fixes today as well.
khris
QUOTE(rura @ Jul 12 2006, 05:33 AM) *
Date formats for Spanish and German now do dd/mm/yy instead of the English mm/dd/yy. Tons of AJAX fixes today as well.

Actually...mm/dd/yy is American, not English. The English way is the same as Spanish and German.

And anyway, the Only True Way is yyyy-mm-dd, the ISO standard. :-)

If anyone does a Swedish translation (no, I'm not volunteering), it should definately have the ISO standard.
rura
English as in English translation, not the country wink.gif
chotto kiitena
QUOTE(rura @ Jul 11 2006, 10:33 PM) *
Date formats for Spanish and German now do dd/mm/yy instead of the English mm/dd/yy.  Tons of AJAX fixes today as well.

Can we have one that changes the date format to DDMMYY but leaves the text in English? smile.gif

Also, I hope the AJAX fixes were 3-way. Beating_a_Dead_Horse.gif
Santiago22
QUOTE(XytharDX @ Jul 13 2006, 09:38 AM) *
Can we have one that changes the date format to DDMMYY but leaves the text in English? smile.gif

Yes please. smile.gif

Or (probably too late for this), have a default format for each locale, but each user could customize it in their preferences.
Daxim
I also vote for international date format (YYYY-MM-DD). It's the best.

I have a number of corrections for the German l10n of usercp, but wouldn't know where to send it and own no example file, either, so I just dump them here.

On all subpages:
Altes Passwort zur Bestätigung eingeben.: eliminate one of the punctuation marks
Du wirst automatisch ausgeloggt nach dem Speichern. Du wirst automatisch nach dem Speichern ausgeloggt.

First subpage:
(twice) Account Details Accountdetails
weil er ein fester weil er als fester
zwei mal zweimal
Account Nachrichten Accountnachrichten
Bitte sichergehen, Stelle sicher,
(twice) DJ Name DJ-Name

Second subpage:
(twice)Profil Information Profilinformationen
(twice)Dan Rang Dangrad
Kein Rang kein Grad
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th,... 1., 2., 3., 4., ...

Third subpage:
Spiel Einstellungen Spieleinstellungen
Bevorzugte Gameplay Einstellungen Spieleinstellungen

Style Grundeinstellung Standardstyle
Schwierigkeitsgrad Standardschwierigkeitsgrad
(image) most recent neuester
User Ansicht Nutzeransicht

Fourth subpage:
Aktuelle Freunden Bestehende Freunde
Rival Data Benachrichtigung Rival-Data-Benachrichtigung

Aktiviert wird [...] hochgeladen hat. Ist dies markiert, schickt dir VJ Army eine E-mail, wenn dein Rivale oder ein Freund Rival Data hochgeladen hat.

Fifth subpage:
Allgemeine Privatsphäre: Standardeinstellung für Privatsphäre:
Sozial - Scores generell öffentlich. Gemeinschaftlicher Modus, Scores standardmäßig öffentlich.
Sozial - Scores generell privat. Gemeinschaftlicher Modus, Scores standardmäßig privat.
Single - Scores generell öffentlich. Individueller Modus, Scores standardmäßig öffentlich.
Single - Scores generell privat. Individueller Modus, Scores standardmäßig privat.

Deine Privatsphäre [...] für die Session. Deine Privatsphäre bestimmt deinen Sitemodus. Der Gemeinschaftliche Modus ist die Vorgabe, wobei alles wie gehabt erscheint. Der Individuelle Modus entfernt jede Funktionalität, die andere Nutzer anzeigt - es wirkt so, als wärst du der einzige Nutzer in der Datenbank. Deine Privatsphäre bestimmt auch, welche Sichtbarkeit deine Scores standardmäßig im Sessionmodus haben.

Freunde ignorieren die Privatsphäre?: Freunde beachten Privatsphäre nicht:

Aktiviert [...] unterstützt.) Ist dies markiert, können Freunde deine privaten Scores in der Nutzeransicht und Songansicht einsehen. (Das ist noch nicht vollständig umgesetzt.)

Alle meine Scores setzen auf:: Ändere alle meine Scores um nach:

Beide Links setzen alle deine Scores sofort auf öffentlich oder privat. Jeder dieser Links verändert sofort die Sichtbarkeit aller deiner Scores.
Smart Derick
I didn't get the hint the first time so now I am IP banned.
rura
I apologize for the lack of information regarding the internationalization (hereafter known as i18n) effort in the past few days, but it has been swallowed by the larger goal of VJA 4.0.  I am still working just as hard on it, but it will officially launch with a bunch of other major features in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the updates Daxim.  I'll run them past ParaPara or MANIA and get them integrated into the Deutsch translation.  As for other locales, we now have a Korean translation thanks to mews!

We still need a Japanese translation (and any other language people want to step up and provide) before launch, so hopefully someone will volunteer for that project soon.
chotto kiitena
Man, what's the deal with the spamming in this thread specifically? Bizarre.
security tubbs
Probably something to do with the words "global" and/or "international". Thus, cruises and multinational vacations.
Raving Loony Society
Obviously, the more one posts in this thread, the better a chance one has of winning fantastic prizes, such as an all-expenses-paid trip to Slovenia.
Apollo2X
If for some crazy reason a need to have a Greek version of VJ Army crops up, I'll be available. That is if there are active Greek users other than my brother and me Beating_a_Dead_Horse.gif

Korean will always be Greek Chinese to me smile.gif
DHB - Der Jäger
French IIDXist here, so I'm volunteering for French localization. I think I should have no problem with that at all, considering all the time I've spent studying English and using it online... and still counting!

So, if you feel the need, PM me or mail me or whatever and tell me what to do, I'll do my best. cool.gif

ADDENDA: yeah, there's quite a good bunch of French IIDX players out there, a few of them even have 9-dan / 10-dan level!
Team Ragnarok
Francois should be Francais. Beating_a_Dead_Horse.gif
DHB - Der Jäger
Yup, you noticed that right Ragnarok. ;-) But it's up to rura to modify that. (and don't forget the "ç" ¸ too!)

Besides, in my country "François" is a first name. Even in my country there are people who sometimes mistake the name of the language with the name of the person. Beating_a_Dead_Horse.gif

Anyways, I'm glad to find my contribution online that quickly. smile.gif
rura
Haha my brain was totally off. I'll fix it momentarily.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.