IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Method to improve AC turntable sensitivity?, IF anyone has knowledge and IIDX cabinets
darq
post Mar 3 2012, 02:26 AM
Post #1

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

Our IIDX cabinet is working alright but recently i've noticed that the turntables on both sides have suffered a great deal in terms of registering scratches.

Long story short it takes about a 1/8th turn of the turntable to get it to register as opposed to the tiny turn needed to scratch on something like a JKOC or RE controller. I'm trying to determine why the turntable requires so much force to turn or moreso, why the input is so delayed between the turn of the turntable and the registration of the turn in the actual game.

In it's current state it is almost impossible to clear songs like naughty girl and red by full metal jacket which would be easy to clear if out turntuables were actually in some sort of functional state.

tl;dr
is there a way to fix turntable sensitivity to stop it from requiring so much force to register?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
over there
post Mar 3 2012, 05:18 AM
Post #2

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (darq @ Mar 3 2012, 02:26 AM) *
Our IIDX cabinet is working alright but recently i've noticed that the turntables on both sides have suffered a great deal in terms of registering scratches.

Long story short it takes about a 1/8th turn of the turntable to get it to register as opposed to the tiny turn needed to scratch on something like a JKOC or RE controller. I'm trying to determine why the turntable requires so much force to turn or moreso, why the input is so delayed between the turn of the turntable and the registration of the turn in the actual game.

In it's current state it is almost impossible to clear songs like naughty girl and red by full metal jacket which would be easy to clear if out turntuables were actually in some sort of functional state.

tl;dr
is there a way to fix turntable sensitivity to stop it from requiring so much force to register?

Sounds perfect for RA
no seriously, that's exactly what it's supposed to feel like. Want better response? Get Lincle somehow...

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post Mar 5 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #3

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

Did you clean the optics? Are the teeth that interrupt the optical sensors in good shape? Just guessing, no first hand experience here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Mar 5 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #4

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Do arcade turntables also work that way? I notice they're analog instead of digital for one thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TJB
post Mar 5 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #5

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (DanAdamKOF @ Mar 6 2012, 09:11 AM) *
Did you clean the optics? Are the teeth that interrupt the optical sensors in good shape? Just guessing, no first hand experience here.

Safe to assume no, the 2p turntable is a little friendlier.

I guess I'll ask the owner next time I see him for a glance at it.

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post Mar 8 2012, 04:10 AM
Post #6

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

guys guys guys guys

analog or digital doesnt matter

they work the same until they reach the "talks to console/talks to arcade" circuitry.

There's two optical sensors that are positioned along some teeth, they go off and on, and that off/on pattern is interpreted as movement in a direction.

"digital" turntable devices simply spit out to the console that it's moving CW/CCW.

"analog" turntable devices do that but also calculate rate of change in the pattern and send that off as well, which the arcade interprets as slow or fast movement.

the sensors are the same for both!

--------------------

+Quote Post
darq
post Mar 14 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #7

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

optics have been cleaned and the teeth are fine but it's still requiring excessive force to turn. It feels almost as if you ahve to turn it a bit to "contact" with something. perhaps there is a connection between the teeth and the disc itself which is coming loose. Ideas?

--------------------

+Quote Post
darq
post Apr 30 2012, 07:16 PM
Post #8

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

Ok after checking the digital signal in it appears to be registering properly digitally. This means that the main issue we have with this turntable is a lack of friction. I've seen arcades in japan that put tape over the turntables to add friction. Do people think that this would assist in adding that little bit of momentum for our arcade TT to make them turn properly?

--------------------

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post May 6 2012, 03:41 AM
Post #9

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

I would make sure it's clean on the inside, if you have dust or whatever grinding on things it will be hard to move

Tape will help you to have friction on the surface, but if you mean momentum like the turntable continuing a bit after you're done, I would assume that tape wouldn't help that and it would have more to do with weight (I'm stepping outside of my (very limited) area of turntable expertise here) unless you are shoving it really damn hard with every scratch

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 05:43 PM