Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Shooter Thread, help help help hellllooooooooo
Axem Rangers
post Apr 30 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #1

Banned Routine

It's no secret that Bemnai has been very, very bad for my gaming habits. When it was just DDR I was still okay; I would get worn out and get off it in favor of games that weren't physically demanding. But now with DDR, Para, IIDX, Pop'n, Guitar Freaks, and many other music games, I find myself playing less and less other types of games. My girlfriend Amy bought me Star Ocean III in December, and I'm still on the first disc. Sure, I play platformers once in a blue moon, but I haven't touched an adventure game in ages.

But as of the last few weeks, I've been finding myself evening out my time spent playing Bemani with shooters. After all, what better way to take a break from concentrating painfully hard on hitting tiny falling notes than concentrating painfully hard on not being hit by tiny falling bullets?

So, if you've been playing any shooters of the arcade-y pursuasion (top-down, horizontal scrolling, whatever the hell Cannon Spike is, etc.) I thought you should have a place to blather on about it, post replay videos, trade strategy and whatnot. I myself have been playing a lot of the Touhou series, and am enjoying them far more than any top-down I've ever played before. They seem to make a point of having a distinction between "not dying" and "getting a good score" (sort of like Ikaruga, except in that I can do neither). So, if anyone has any tips for them (especially Imperishable Night), feel free to throw them my way.

And maybe I'll post some shitty score attack replays later.

--------------------
I respond so fast I might break the prison glass.
So you're saying you should be able to act like this to a forum administrator, or a teacher, or a police officer, or your own parents and get away with it. You're supposed to respect these folks.

If you or a friend has the Sailor Moon S (uncut) boxset, or any of the Sailor Moon movies (uncut), and would like to sell or trade them, please contact me!
QUOTE (_ηρα @ Jul 13 2008, 05:15 AM) *
The way I see it, me and Axem are lucky in that we have around 4 years to avoid becoming an utter fuckup like you. It's a nice feeling, being young.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kirby Kirby Kirb...
post Apr 30 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #2

Cosmic Cat

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(Axem Rangers @ Apr 30 2006, 09:18 PM) *
But as of the last few weeks, I've been finding myself evening out my time spent playing Bemani with shooters.

Who doesn't like to bust out Gradius III & IV once in a while? (I'm STILL looking for Gradius V. sad.gif)

After all, what better way to take a break from concentrating painfully hard on hitting tiny falling notes than concentrating painfully hard on not being hit by tiny falling bullets?

Tell me about it. I can't even get past the stupid fucking first level on Gradius III.

So, if you've been playing any shooters of the arcade-y pursuasion (top-down, horizontal scrolling, whatever the hell Cannon Spike is, etc.) I thought you should have a place to blather on about it, post replay videos, trade strategy and whatnot.

Oh fuck yes, this topic gives me a great idea. Mars Rising tatsujins. Am I the only one who fucking loves Mars Rising? My grandma has this old modded LC 630 I used to own (and ran BeOS on for quite some time back when it was mine) and has Mars Rising installed on it. Each time I go to her house, I play the game for the following reasons: beating my cousin's numerous terrible highscores and play until I get fed up.

The other day, I played the game and got a perfect score (every powerup, life, and star) with no lives lost until Level 5. I want to make a perfect run up until the demo ends (not sure what the last level in the demo is, so I'll have to keep playing)

Somehow Deimos Rising didn't feel as good as Mars Rising though. sad.gif

That's it. Once I get my 100GB internal drive, I'm installing Classic and busting out Mars Rising again. Memories!

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post Apr 30 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #3

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

My copy of Gokujyo Parodius (Parodius 2) for the SNES just arrived in the mail last week, so I've been whoring that out.

I haven't been a big fan of the overhead bullet-fests of late, so I stopped with my DC copy of Ikaruga.

I want to fix my SegaCD where I'll have to battle my inner demons to figure out what to play first.. fight Zophar again (been a while) or play some Sol Feace?

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."

+Quote Post
WILD RIDE
post Apr 30 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #4

WILD RIDE

DJ Battle This User

Sewer Shark is the obvious choice. That guy had bogeys on his tail before Star Fox even knew how to speak.

--------------------
WILD RIDE

+Quote Post
deathrazor
post Apr 30 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #5

fffff

Ikaruga still pisses me off.

Other than that, I should see if I can find Gradius 3 and 4 somewhere. Gradius V isn't all that difficult (except I'm not stupid enough to try it on Very Hard >_>).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Apr 30 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #6

I♥prat fall

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-r-77-7...ius-70-5q7.html

definitely worth the buy.

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
Deets
post May 1 2006, 02:53 AM
Post #7

all jew (about damaging it)

Gradius III is stupidly hard in the worst possible way and IV is uninspired dreck. Get V instead. Or Gaiden. Although if you can find III & IV for really cheap I'd get it anyway.

+Quote Post
Fungi
post May 1 2006, 03:15 AM
Post #8

Candy Galy

DJ Battle This User

Do you have Perfect Cherry Blossom? I've looked (not very hard) for that game with no avail.

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post May 1 2006, 04:54 AM
Post #9

Banned Routine

QUOTE(JDM_Deets @ May 1 2006, 03:53 AM) *
Gradius III is stupidly hard

I'm glad MIAB and I aren't alone in that thought.

And, yeah, I have PCB. Good game...

--------------------
So you're saying you should be able to act like this to a forum administrator, or a teacher, or a police officer, or your own parents and get away with it. You're supposed to respect these folks.

If you or a friend has the Sailor Moon S (uncut) boxset, or any of the Sailor Moon movies (uncut), and would like to sell or trade them, please contact me!
The way I see it, me and Axem are lucky in that we have around 4 years to avoid becoming an utter fuckup like you. It's a nice feeling, being young.

+Quote Post
Putf8umHawke
post May 1 2006, 05:29 AM
Post #10

Air Ixion

What mode are you playing Imperishable Night on? I found IN to be the easier of the three games, because I actually managed to hobble my way though Lunatic mode, and came close to 1cc'ing it on Easy with little difficulty. PCB seems to have the best balance of ease of play and HOLY SHIT BULLETS.

I had (once upon a time) Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil, and that shit was B-A-N-A-N-A-S. Played it on Easy and Sakuya (*<3*) still owned my ass. It's hard because it doesn't have alot of the conventions that I was used to on PCB.

I have all three games on DVD, but the directory structure got screwed up on the disc, so only the first two burnt folders are there (PCB and my DWI files). I'll have to go hunting for EoSD a little bit later on.

And I'll upload the three Touhou OSTs in a little bit. WinRAR is going to screw up their filenames, but the ID3 tags should remain entact.

--------------------
Twan says: so what possibilities are there
pH-zero says: me being killed for some reason, unlikely though
Twan says: I don't see why that would happen
QUOTE (Darighaz @ Oct 6 2007, 06:27 PM) *
PLATINUM HAWKE IS DEAD.

Twan says: ahhh fuck it, yes, it was me XD
pH-zero says: hahaha, epic pay back you bitch

QUOTE (Moogy @ Mar 6 2008, 03:57 PM) *
I know more about anime than you do.

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post May 1 2006, 05:34 AM
Post #11

Banned Routine

QUOTE(Putf8umHawke @ May 1 2006, 06:29 AM) *
What mode are you playing Imperishable Night on? I found IN to be the easier of the three games, because I actually managed to hobble my way though Lunatic mode, and came close to 1cc'ing it on Easy with little difficulty. PCB seems to have the best balance of ease of play and HOLY SHIT BULLETS.

Normal, mostly. I suck at shooters, which is actually a big reason of me liking the Touhou series; I can play on Normal or Hard and still get more than 1 level into the game. :/ And I'm surviving alright, it's just that my scores suck.

I have all three games on DVD, but the directory structure got screwed up on the disc, so only the first two burnt folders are there (PCB and my DWI files). I'll have to go hunting for EoSD a little bit later on.

And I'll upload the three Touhou OSTs in a little bit. WinRAR is going to screw up their filenames, but the ID3 tags should remain entact.

I'd upload the games, but I think they're too big for RapidShare.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post May 1 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #12

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(JDM_Deets @ May 1 2006, 03:53 AM) *
Gradius III is stupidly hard in the worst possible way and IV is uninspired dreck. Get V instead. Or Gaiden. Although if you can find III & IV for really cheap I'd get it anyway.

Or get Gradius III for the SNES. All the fun of Gradius III AC, 1/5 the challenge.

...truthfully, I've never beaten Gradius III AC, even using the full options code and the stage select. I die enough trying to get through the regenerating membrane and bouncing brain ball section.. and then when I actually do get to the final boss, I wreck during the escape sequence.

No love for R-Type? ..I wish I hadn't sold my copy of R-Types...

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."

+Quote Post
LazyKenny
post May 1 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #13

Evergreen

QUOTE(Schlagwerk @ May 1 2006, 09:55 AM) *
No love for R-Type? ..I wish I hadn't sold my copy of R-Types...

R-Type III can just bite me.

....ok, just stage 4 and beyond

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post May 1 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #14

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

R-Type Final is decent. Havn't played that in a long time now. I'm more of a Gradius fan than R-Type though...always have been. R-Type is way more organic feeling, and I think shooters work better in a mechanical setting (see: Ikaruga, Gradius, etc etc) than an organic setting (see: R-Type, Mushimesama, etc etc)

Gradius V is the shit. So much fun, and it looks amazing. I have a lot of fun with that. Got it for Christmas in 2004 from my parents.

Speaking of Mushi....damn that game is addicting. My roommates and I all play it, and have like a mini competition going on arrange mode. The current top score of us 3 is 162 million (Stage 5, true final). Unfortunately I'm still at like 60 million on the beginning of Stage 5 because it's a BIG RIDICULOUS on arrange even. sad.gif Anyone else play? (p.s. W-Shot fails at life)

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post May 1 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #15

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

R-Type Delta has my <3
Never got to try Final.

Moving right along, how 'bout that Darius series? How do you feel about fish in your shmups?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Putf8umHawke
post May 1 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #16

Air Ixion

Darius was strange when I played it a long time ago on the SNES. Fish bots... o.O Well, not as bad as one of the R-Type games on the SNES that shot sperm at you. No joke.

--------------------
Twan says: so what possibilities are there
pH-zero says: me being killed for some reason, unlikely though
Twan says: I don't see why that would happen
QUOTE (Darighaz @ Oct 6 2007, 06:27 PM) *
PLATINUM HAWKE IS DEAD.

Twan says: ahhh fuck it, yes, it was me XD
pH-zero says: hahaha, epic pay back you bitch

QUOTE (Moogy @ Mar 6 2008, 03:57 PM) *
I know more about anime than you do.

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post May 1 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #17

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(Putf8umHawke @ May 1 2006, 01:06 PM) *
Darius was strange when I played it a long time ago on the SNES. Fish bots... o.O Well, not as bad as one of the R-Type games on the SNES that shot sperm at you. No joke.

Darius Twin (the SNES one) was the worst of the series, to omou. And you're talking about R-Type III, second boss. It was changed to eyeballs for the US. ;P

EDIT: gawd.. I can't stand the idea of saying IMHO so much that I had to change it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blo0P
post May 1 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #18

Rising in the Sun

The only shooter i've been playing lately is Raiden III, I would get Ibara and Espgaluda if I had the extra cash though.

--------------------
Hardest songs beaten:
IIDX: One More Lovely [H] - 9
pop'n: Athletic Meet [H] - 36

I'M SO SICK OF ALL THE SLAKE HATING.

+Quote Post
rmz
post May 1 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #19

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(Schlagwerk @ May 1 2006, 10:09 AM) *
to omou

YOU'RE SO BAKA ^_^_^_^

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post May 1 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #20

Banned Routine

ESPgaluda is really fun, but when I want to go on a bullet grazing fest, I'll play Perfect Cherry Blossom, thanks. I've yet to try Raiden III, but II was my favorite shooter at the time I first played it. R-Type final is ridiculously good and hella customizeable; too bad it's probably the most frustrating horizontal scrolling shooter I've ever played. Glad to hear some love for Parodius from you, Schlagwerk. I own none, but have played the SNES/MAME roms I have so many many times.

Still, um, Touhous are win. Unless we're talking about more unconventional shooters, in which case, Bangai-O.

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2019 - 08:29 AM