16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Closing Time
Chemistry
post May 4 2009, 01:48 AM
Post #41

Evergreen

Aww... and i just got my 1000th AAA sad.gif
I love this score tracker site and I hope it does live on.
Even if it doesn't, it will always be a meaningful part of my Bemani life.

Thanks the founders of the site for their blood, sweat, tears and whatever bodily fluids lost in the making of this wonderful place.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t7r alterative
post May 4 2009, 02:05 AM
Post #42

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

Thanks for everything you guys went through with the site.

--------------------
Generic TAG song checklist:
[]in key C#
[]last note of the song's melody is an octave higher based on the main key
[]pretty fast
[]SUPER STAR MITSURU synths
[]BPM is doubled in DDR

+Quote Post
fuse
post May 4 2009, 02:32 AM
Post #43

Evergreen

Sad news. Understandable, but sad news.

Remy (and all), thanks for your time and effort over the years.

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post May 4 2009, 07:02 AM
Post #44

Banned Routine

That's too bad.

I'd just hand over all the score tracker data to someone else, if they wanted it, but I guess it's not my site.

edit: oh okay now I've read the thread and this is happening I guess? way cool.

--------------------
I respond so fast I might break the prison glass.
So you're saying you should be able to act like this to a forum administrator, or a teacher, or a police officer, or your own parents and get away with it. You're supposed to respect these folks.

If you or a friend has the Sailor Moon S (uncut) boxset, or any of the Sailor Moon movies (uncut), and would like to sell or trade them, please contact me!
QUOTE (_ηρα @ Jul 13 2008, 05:15 AM) *
The way I see it, me and Axem are lucky in that we have around 4 years to avoid becoming an utter fuckup like you. It's a nice feeling, being young.

+Quote Post
jammitch!
post May 4 2009, 07:16 AM
Post #45

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I, too, would love to pitch in on the replacement. My main concern is that my relational database skills are a bit rusty because I now work with heirarchical DBs for a living and I'm not sure how to optimize relational DBs for performance, which I know became a big concern here as the site grew large. But I did write a score tracker for BS 6.0 at some point, even though I don't think it ever went live.

Without a score tracker, I'd just lose about 75% of my motivation to play IIDX, especially at higher levels.

Thanks to Remy and everyone for five years of awesome and Beating_a_Dead_Horse.gif.

--------------------
Ode to RAM
ALL RIGHT, ACT HIGH and LOW
SWITCH to the LAB and FEEL IT SNOW

He had found a Slake-o-Matic machine which had provided him with a compact disc filled with a sound that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike music.

+Quote Post
Darighaz
post May 4 2009, 07:16 AM
Post #46

Rising in the Sun

- In terms of the forums, we are out of moderation staff who have the energy to wrangle what is best described as an energetic community. Back in 2004/2005, the forum could have survived without constant moderation, but it cannot now.

GG the idiot crew.

(yes i know lots more went into it.)

--------------------
watching avatar is like simultaneously being too much of and too little of a homosexual to watch actual anime

- Moogy, anime expert

+Quote Post
Elphaba
post May 4 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #47

Everyone Is Epic Winnocent

You can thank Oni.

--------------------
LeonMoongooner3: hi
Kryssstal: hi huh
LeonMoongooner3: is this thee krysstal?
Kryssstal: uh huh
LeonMoongooner3: youre a straight legend girl
Kryssstal: but i'm bi

+Quote Post
Elphaba
post May 4 2009, 08:09 AM
Post #48

(and my "fanclub")

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oogami
post May 4 2009, 08:26 AM
Post #49

Candy Galy

Without this site I would most likely have quit playing the game back in 2004 right after moving back from Japan. It has kept the game fun and fresh for me for several years, has been there during good times and bad, and like many others I have emerged with at least a few new friends. Thank you so much for keeping this site going for as long as you have.

And while this is certainly sad news, I am heartened by all the fervor shown by this site's constituents to the creation of a replacement site, which just goes to show how much this site means to people.

--------------------

More people should contribute scores to RetroFuture :>

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post May 4 2009, 08:29 AM
Post #50

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (jammitch! @ May 4 2009, 07:16 AM) *
I, too, would love to pitch in on the replacement. My main concern is that my relational database skills are a bit rusty because I now work with heirarchical DBs for a living and I'm not sure how to optimize relational DBs for performance, which I know became a big concern here as the site grew large. But I did write a score tracker for BS 6.0 at some point, even though I don't think it ever went live.

Without a score tracker, I'd just lose about 75% of my motivation to play IIDX, especially at higher levels.

Thanks to Remy and everyone for five years of awesome and Beating_a_Dead_Horse.gif.

Shouldn't be an issue, I work with relational databases as part of my job and it sounds like Taren has that about wrapped up anyway.

QUOTE (Darighaz @ May 4 2009, 07:16 AM) *
- In terms of the forums, we are out of moderation staff who have the energy to wrangle what is best described as an energetic community. Back in 2004/2005, the forum could have survived without constant moderation, but it cannot now.

GG the idiot crew.

(yes i know lots more went into it.)

Hey, let's not turn this topic into that. I think it'd be much better if people put their energy into thinking about solutions rather than pointing fingers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sikraiken
post May 4 2009, 08:44 AM
Post #51

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Xythar @ May 4 2009, 09:29 AM) *
Hey, let's not turn this topic into that. I think it'd be much better if people put their energy into thinking about solutions rather than pointing fingers.

He is thinking about solutions. ; ) You just have to look at it the right way.

http://vjarmy.com/archives/2005/01/happy_1_year_bi.php

Jan 26th, 2005

"Understand the following: I've been in the Bemani community since the end of 2001. In the just over two years between when I started playing DDR and when I launched VJ Army, I had grown incredibly jaded and hateful of anyone who played music games. The drama, the flaming, the reputations that some sites had versus others...it was hellish, beyond anything I had dealt with in a gaming community before."

Thanks for the past five years, Remy. You've definitely made an impact in the community. Like oogami said, the score site has definitely kept me coming back to the game from time to time - I don't think I would have otherwise. Met some cool people along the way too.

+Quote Post
shinigami_2057
post May 4 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #52

Tranoid

First off, thanks Remy for all the hard work you've put into this site and into keeping this community alive. I sure as hell would have never gotten into this amazing community and continued playing as long as I did without VJ Army. So again, thank you Remy for what you've done for the community.

I will also happily provide my services to keeping the dream alive. Having also built a score tracking site for IIDX, I know exactly what needs to go into it and can also able to provide a server and I2 bandwidth if needed. smile.gif If Remy and crew are not willing to release source code (which is completely understandable, even though I am a FSF nut), I am more than willing to help start writing anew. I've picked up a few things here and there since writing lights biggrin.gif

Is the VJA IRC channel still around? What server is it on?

--------------------
<davidbrit2> No Doubt Get Loud will make my nuts explode.
QUOTE (Sardius @ Aug 17 2005, 08:18 PM)
fuck goli and all that anime bullshit. the mere inclusion of both g.m.d. AND s.d.z. makes every previous iidx release seem like a disappointment. I'm buying ten copies of this when it comes out and will rub them all over my balls. ALL of them.

QUOTE (dog$ @ Sep 13 2005, 06:59 PM)
Silvia Drive is also nails-on-chalkboard horrible, too; again, the chart is decent but Noria's attempt to out-yodel backyard dogs is a mind numbing atrocity.

+Quote Post
Remy
post May 4 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #53

VJ Army is dead or alive

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's heartening to see that people want to prop this rusty bucket of code up in some capacity, and I'm glad it meant as much to you all as it did to me. I certainly would not have kept at IIDX for as long as I did without the site, even if I never got terribly good at the game.

I have certainly toyed with the idea of opening the source up (as we toyed with it in 2007, I think it was). On the other hand, it's largely a mess, and dumping it into Google Code may just leave it hanging out there for eternity. And I'd prefer to not have that.

With that in mind: I'm happy to hand over the source code for all three sites (VJA3/VJA4/PNN) directly to any teams who want it. Please send me an email (again, remy@vjarmy.com) indicating
- who's on your team (real names *and* community aliases, if you can)
- what your general plans are.

I don't intend to do any substantial vetting here, but I do want to get a gauge for how many forks we're going to have and maybe coordinate people if it looks like there will be a lot.

Also, I spoke with Eddie, and the Bemanistyle score tracking site will be launching at some point in the near future, and will definitely take the VJ Army XML as an import.

Edited to add: The IRC channel (#vjarmy) does still exist on Gamesurge, but like the forums, I lost control of it years ago. Whether or not it continues is up to Ryry/kay0ss/BBH.

--------------------
Make rigorous observations, and be prepared to cite your sources.

+Quote Post
PkerUNO
post May 4 2009, 09:11 AM
Post #54

Tenor Hamster

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Thank you so much for your hard work, Remy. I know how hard setting up and maintaining a community is, and how thankless it can be. You've sacrificed a lot for us, and I know that we are all grateful. Thanks to all the developers and users, too - after all, a community is a group effort.

VJ Army was the site that really got me into IIDX, and even though it will be sorely missed, it will not be forgotten.

Thanks, VJ Army.

Tharmy.

--------------------
PkerUNO

+Quote Post
Ryujin
post May 4 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #55

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

As a recurring member and visitor, I'm extremely grateful for all of the hard work that you and your programmers put into a site that could have easily crumbled due to filling a small, niche market, but somehow survived through that work and the continued support of its members. I know personally that this site has provided a lot of the motivation to keep getting better at the game and also finding a few people who just happen to play these silly games as well.

As mentioned before, I too would also like to keep the tracker/forums/dream alive and we do have our forums that this could be held (I've already notified the man in charge of our hosting). That said, I also know there are several other interested parties so I wouldn't want to take away from what people ultimately think would be the best location to host the tracker/forums.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blue Rain
post May 4 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #56

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Wow I like seeing all the old names in this thread

--------------------
QUOTE (Saiyajin @ Jul 9 2009, 01:51 AM) *
Good thing there are PS2 -> PS3 adaptors... If IIDX goes triple, I'm definitely sold on the system even if though it's big enough to crush me to death in my sleep.

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post May 4 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #57

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

OK, signup for people joining the team to take on the source code:

1) Xythar

Please quote and add your name (I know a lot of people have already expressed interest, but this can serve as a confirming step) if you can program, and want to help maintain the code on the new site. Then PM or email me (gmmazz@hotmail.com) your actual name and I'll put everything together and email to Remy.

As for general plans, I figured we'll set it up on another server as close to the original site as possible (but with a different name if Remy would prefer that - we already threw around some ideas in IRC and came up with some good stuff), and code in a functionality to re-import people's XML archives. So basically you'd sign up for the new site and provide it your XML file from the old one and put all your data directly in like that. I'd also be interested in importing the song database (with all the data, notecounts and so on). I wouldn't be expecting to make many changes to it beyond that, at least not initially (VJA works pretty well for me as is). I think it would be simplest to keep it to just one fork but if there's a difference in philosophy between people as to what direction it should go in then we can work something out.

Something that we still need to work out is what host we're going with and what kinds of numbers we're looking at in terms of bandwidth and CPU requirements. I talked to rura briefly on IRC regarding this but there's still a fair bit to be decided.

Anyone have any disagreements or things to add? Otherwise that'll be the general outline I'll give.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elphaba
post May 4 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #58

although I won't be using it, if someone who cares about completion is in charge of the song db (such as xythar maybe!), they should add the 5key charts (such as 20nov, in addition to keeping BMUS as L7) and stuff like vanessa/kamaitachi kaiden

most people can play them in free mode, and if not, welp. who's going to blame a C or D on kamaitachi?

and who's not going to take a picture of a AAA
oh wait rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Omni
post May 4 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #59

Tranoid

GG, Remy. GG.

While I haven't been around for a long while, I had to come back and pay my respects. The site really was great (well.. until the trolls began) and most of the posters are great folks. I still call Vja in its prime the best forum I've ever frequented.

I fully endorse the idea of continuing the site, even though I don't play anymore. The scoring aspect of the site is pretty much what kept me playing for so long. I harken back to the days of scribbling down scores for hours on end. (On a side note, one of the reasons why I don't play anymore is my modded ps2 died and I can't replace it at the moment sad.gif)

Anywho, this sucks, Vja was awesome and it'll always mean something to most of us.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Taren
post May 4 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #60

patsenner

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Xythar @ May 4 2009, 07:57 AM) *
OK, signup for people joining the team to take on the source code:

1) Xythar
2) Taren