Closed TopicStart new topic
> Decency.
rmz
post Feb 6 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #21

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (waffles @ Feb 6 2009, 07:59 AM) *
The point is that there are places where its less than appropriate to post whatever the hell you want, regardless of whether or not it has anything to do with the topic at hand. Posting random goofy stuff in a thread called "Decency" about how there needs to be a change in attitude and posting habits is less than decent. It says "Hi, I'm not taking this seriously at all. I don't give a crap that you want this place to be nicer. I'm part of the problem." The great majority of this forum its fine to post good natured jokes. The prevailing "I'm going to do whatever I want wherever I want" is more of a problem, as I see it...

I think this is a decent summary.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Remy
post Feb 6 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #22

VJ Army is dead or alive

waffles is pretty much spot on. Derailing a thread in the news/announcements forum about trying to make the forum better comes across as really spiteful.

--------------------
Make rigorous observations, and be prepared to cite your sources.

+Quote Post
FrozenHalo
post Feb 6 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #23

God damnit, not the toast!

Not going to lie;

I've stopped browsing these forums for awhile now because of the direction this site has been going. It's slowly been snowballing downhill for me, and I can't say there was ever one specific reason why. I almost feel intimidated to post because all that really goes on are in jokes. And as soon as you post in a topic with an in joke going on and you have no idea whats happening, you either get flat out ignored and the conversation continues to derail, or you get for the lack of better words shit on. I don't feel like dragging this out because I'm sure most of you actually remember what the old VJ Army was like, and probably remember it for the better.

--------------------
QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Jan 28 2009, 02:04 PM) *
Dolce's left hand...

has more teeth than you
bye

+Quote Post
waffles
post Feb 6 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #24

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

I'm wondering what the guideline is with regards to "Theres a serious thread, and I thought of something that I find humorous, but its completely derailing and doesn't belong here. Where do I put it?"

For example, if the above post made me think of coming up with THIS IMAGE. Posting it in-line would derail the thread (Common here). Posting a link to an image would be only marginally better. I'm thinking that probably the best thing to do would be to make a thread/post in freestyle, and make a link from "reasonable thread" to "random crap" thread. That way people get their lulz, but the thread stays pretty clear.

Thoughts?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Feb 6 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #25

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (waffles @ Feb 6 2009, 12:27 PM) *
I'm thinking that probably the best thing to do would be to make a thread/post in freestyle, and make a link from "reasonable thread" to "random crap" thread. That way people get their lulz, but the thread stays pretty clear.

Thoughts?

This is something that shouldn't have to be done in the first place, it's a lot of effort that can be done with a simple "take it to Free Style". I also think that you're thinking too much about it now.

+Quote Post
WILD RIDE
post Feb 6 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #26

WILD RIDE

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Morning Blue @ Feb 6 2009, 08:45 AM) *
Free Style isn't even worth clicking on anymore.

Yeah, I sure miss the good old days of Free Style. btns.gif

Dumb in-jokes are still allowed, this just isn't the place for it. I think that's the gist of it.

--------------------
WILD RIDE

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post Feb 6 2009, 03:38 PM
Post #27

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Mazrim @ Feb 6 2009, 01:03 PM) *
This is something that shouldn't have to be done in the first place, it's a lot of effort that can be done with a simple "take it to Free Style". I also think that you're thinking too much about it now.

I think that's just how Waffles is. You should see him play TWG/Mafia. tongue.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (IIDX Clock @ Jan 31 2009, 08:21 AM) *
actually, Japan has REALLY high technology.

heck they even have predecessors to HD already

+Quote Post
FrozenHalo
post Feb 6 2009, 04:05 PM
Post #28

God damnit, not the toast!

ooookay then

--------------------
QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Jan 28 2009, 02:04 PM) *
Dolce's left hand...

has more teeth than you
bye

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Feb 6 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #29

I♥prat fall

QUOTE (Xythar @ Feb 5 2009, 09:07 PM) *
rmz said personal attacks and off-site drama were forbidden (which is fair enough). If you're extending that to "making any kind of joke, regardless of how inoffensive" then that's also fair enough since it's your site, but this may not be the forum for me anymore.

oh no you don't
not until you hit 10,000 posts

but also yeah if you're going to eventually ban people for posting without taking a topic seriously then it's probably best for me to be banned preemptively so I don't do something to lose my iidx score stuff :>
o wel

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
waffles
post Feb 6 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #30

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

If bans are going to start happening for real, there are going to have to be intermediate measures taken between "shut up" and "completely acct/IP/everything banned from all VJA/PNN offerings", like "Can't post for a day/week".

I don't know how to manage any of these things, but both RMZ and Remy are reasonable enough folks that it would take the most belligerent of idiots to get completely banned/acct nuked without being completely aware of how and why.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirby Kirby Kirb...
post Feb 6 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #31

Cosmic Cat

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Free Style and Listen to Yourself are essentially the same forum, except one allows for discussion. I personally would like to see Free Style closed, though I suspect most of the active people around here would hate me for thinking that.

VJA a couple years ago was an awesome forum, now it's just offtopic nonsense in every thread, so I only tend to stick around whenever a new game comes out to find out what's new and then resume my life elsewhere on the Internet. It's sad, really.

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Feb 6 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #32

I♥prat fall

how sad is it

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post Feb 6 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #33

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

Wait, when did this topic go from "stop mocking people and bringing in outside drama" to "no silliness at all"? dry.gif

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post Feb 6 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #34

they keep referring to me as that

I really care about this forum and I hate it when things don't go my way. So I whine about it publicly in hopes that I CAN get my way. It's sad, really.

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

Others opt to refer to it by its ORIGINAL NAME

+Quote Post
rmz
post Feb 6 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #35

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Kirby Kirby Kirby @ Feb 6 2009, 04:11 PM) *
I personally would like to see Free Style closed

Why? If you don't like what's there, don't click on it.

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Feb 6 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #36

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Feb 6 2009, 04:17 PM) *
Wait, when did this topic go from "stop mocking people and bringing in outside drama" to "no silliness at all"? dry.gif

The topic of discussion is that mocking people constantly and bringing in outside drama on VJ Army as a whole is no longer being tolerated, while the no silliness at all is specific to people posting in this thread. There needs to be a place where people can talk about this without it being derailed constantly.

+Quote Post
Elphaba
post Feb 6 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #37

Everyone Is Epic Winnocent

Kirby Kirby Kirby didn't like Marie_Antoinette either so that pretty much sums up how ANTI-FUN he is

You people are kinda dumb if you don't see all the on-topic threads (game thread, the IIDX ones, etc.)
(and the fact that the majority of the nonsense IS in free style)

or are those for some reason "not like the classic pure of heart vjarmy of olde" because someone might post "lol pabst blue ribbon" once every 1000 posts in the IIDX AC/CS threads instead of "lol mirror force"

http://vjarmy.com/forum/index.php?s=&s...st&p=194303
oh god vjarmy is ruined, thanks limey look what you've done you posted something humorous in a completely serious topic about DJT CS
how will important discussion about DJT CS go on now

--------------------
LeonMoongooner3: hi
Kryssstal: hi huh
LeonMoongooner3: is this thee krysstal?
Kryssstal: uh huh
LeonMoongooner3: youre a straight legend girl
Kryssstal: but i'm bi

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Feb 7 2009, 02:10 AM
Post #38

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (Mazrim @ Feb 6 2009, 07:52 PM) *
The topic of discussion is that mocking people constantly and bringing in outside drama on VJ Army as a whole is no longer being tolerated, while the no silliness at all is specific to people posting in this thread. There needs to be a place where people can talk about this without it being derailed constantly.

I honestly don't see how those few jokes were preventing people from carrying out serious discussion in the topic but if it's just "no jokes here" and not "no jokes anywhere" then I can live with it. I don't understand why it's necessary (I don't think anyone was trying to be spiteful), but I'll refrain from making non serious posts in Last Message if that's what people want.

I think a lot of you just let this stuff bother you too much though. VJA has always had injokes. If you don't understand one then just play along with it and try to find out what it was later on. That's what I do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tau
post Feb 7 2009, 04:21 AM
Post #39

HOW TO COOK DELICIOUS RICE AND THE EFFECT OF EATING RICE

VJArmy hasn't had anyone new join in years though, so the place has inveitably degenerated into a bunch of injokes. Oni and Schala's sockpuppets are part of what make this site fun to browse.

I suppose there's always Free Style. Maybe I'm really dense, but I guess I haven't seen much around here that could qualify as a personal attack.

--------------------
QUOTE (Junglist King @ Jan 16 2011, 03:19 PM) *
Hot and Dangerous scratching. Makes "Big." by FullMetal Tortoise look like something Gosaku would play.

+Quote Post
Brazoliange
post Feb 7 2009, 07:05 AM
Post #40

Candy Galy

QUOTE (Tau @ Feb 7 2009, 03:21 AM) *
Maybe I'm really dense, but I guess I haven't seen much around here that could qualify as a personal attack.

http://vjarmy.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6274

--------------------
http://vjarmy.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3967
Help bring IIDX GOLD to Dave & Busters locations around the US!!!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2018 - 01:39 AM