IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Closing A Few Open Items, While opening another can of worms.
Remy
post Jan 28 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #1

VJ Army is dead or alive

XML and Sig Generation: The crontab I have available to me as part of being on Mosso is not the same crontab I've had available to me for the last 9 years. This one is web based and "in beta". Needless to say, the sig and XML generators weren't working through it, and facing a fairly major rewrite, I've gone for the hacky but less noticeable option - the crontab is running off my desktop (which, surprisingly, gets the script to run as it was intended). However, it's now only running once a day (midnight EST, for both sites) - see below.

5-Key Support: I got in my time machine, went back to July, and removed all the 5-key support from the site, as promised. However, in what may have been a reversal from what I said back then, I have left the scores in the database, and they will continue to be counted towards sig images only.

Password Resetter: Unfortunately, I'm baffled about this one. Completely baffled. It's great when a function throws no errors whatsoever, and then still fails to send any email. I have spent more time trying to fix this than I would like to admit. Rura is going to look into it within the next day or two.

The Larger Issue: Victoly as a whole gets a certain number of CPU cycles for all the sites that are on its hosting account. Immediately after the migration, it became clear that if VJA and PNN ran at the rates we were seeing immediately after the migration (and granted, it was right after DJ Troopers launched so that was bit of a high estimate), we would have used up all of the CPU cycles, plus another 50% of the original total - and that's before anything else that Rura's hosting gets a single cycle.

As you probably noticed, some things got disabled not long after the move. The AJAX refresh of the "last 10" displays on the front page are gone, and some of the forum settings were ratcheted down (the forum, as one might expect, draws a lot of CPU load). We managed to end the month without going over the limit - but not by much, and not all of Victoly has been migrated over to the new host yet.

So the main reason (certainly not the only reason) everything has stalled out is that if I do proceed with any work on the site, it'll probably be to chop something out rather than to add new features - and that's not something I relish doing.

So I'm working out some options - the one that seems "the best" is to finish 4.0 and push everyone over to that. Very few people are using the beta version, but it is considerably more optimized than the 3.0 codebase and would help reduce CPU cycles. But there can't be a cutover before it's got feature parity, and that's going to require a healthy amount of coordination between at least three people. I've also received a surprisingly amount of pushback from users who have tried 4.0 indicating they prefer the obliqueness of 3.0 better, and trying to re-engineer that functionality isn't going to make the push to finish any easier.

Anyhow, I'm open to suggestions anyone has about how to grapple with this.

Lastly: VJA turned 5 years old on Monday. Where has the time gone?

--------------------
Make rigorous observations, and be prepared to cite your sources.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Jan 28 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #2

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Huh, I thought it was older.

It was only around for 4 months or so before I joined? I've been here longer than I thought.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jiano
post Jan 28 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FL_Vq4-t3M

why don't you have 10k posts yet

+Quote Post
Remy
post Jan 28 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #4

VJ Army is dead or alive

QUOTE (Xythar @ Jan 28 2009, 10:13 PM) *
Huh, I thought it was older.

It was only around for 4 months or so before I joined? I've been here longer than I thought.

Technically some of the codebase was written in 2003, but it wasn't a multi-user site at the time.

--------------------
Make rigorous observations, and be prepared to cite your sources.

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post Jan 28 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #5

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

Wow, congrats to VJA being around for 5 years. Can't believe I've been coming here for nearly that long. tongue.gif

And thanks for the update as always, Remy. biggrin.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (IIDX Clock @ Jan 31 2009, 08:21 AM) *
actually, Japan has REALLY high technology.

heck they even have predecessors to HD already

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Jan 29 2009, 01:15 AM
Post #6

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I would honestly be on 4.0 a long time if I could figure out how to input the high speed I used on the song. I dunno, I must be missing something. It's just blank on the High Speed field. 4.0 is way nicer looking and way smoother overall.

Congrats to VJA for 5 years! Can't believe it's been 5 already.

+Quote Post
HAPPY☆ANGEL
post Jan 29 2009, 02:37 AM
Post #7

epic poster

awww remy your avatar is adorable <3

--------------------
what is my problem with man, you ask?

no.

i ask you, what was man's problem with

+Quote Post
typobox43
post Jan 29 2009, 03:05 AM
Post #8

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Mazrim @ Jan 29 2009, 12:15 AM) *
I would honestly be on 4.0 a long time if I could figure out how to input the high speed I used on the song. I dunno, I must be missing something. It's just blank on the High Speed field. 4.0 is way nicer looking and way smoother overall.

Congrats to VJA for 5 years! Can't believe it's been 5 already.

From what I can tell that's a bug on 4.0 for DJT songs only. I'm guessing that somewhere, a list of allowable HS settings per style needs to be filled out.

+Quote Post
waffles
post Jan 29 2009, 05:22 AM
Post #9

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

THANKS REMY! WE LOVE YOU!

Seriously, we do.

In fact, let me know and I'll order you some pizza delivery happy.gif.

Heh, I have some weird stuff with options entry on DJT. I use firefox 3 on the 4.0 beta. Speed i can't choose anything, arrange is missing sran and sran/mir, and display has sud/hid/sud+hid/towel.

As a result I have TOWEL entries on DJT happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Jan 29 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #10

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

That makes sense, thanks guys. I swore I had no problems entering scores on 4.0 before so I thought it was a firefox thing, plus I hadn't entered scores since DistorteD so I wasn't 100% sure.

+Quote Post
Taren
post Jan 30 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #11

patsenner

DJ Battle This User

Is the XML data being written to the same place? I'm getting my data here:

http://vjarmy.com/iidx/xml/allusers.zip

And it's still the old data. I know it USED to be written to allusers.tar.gz, which existed up until a few hours ago, I think. Did anything change regarding file location/name?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mast
post Feb 1 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #12

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE (Taren @ Jan 31 2009, 08:59 AM) *

And it's still the old data. I know it USED to be written to allusers.tar.gz, which existed up until a few hours ago, I think. Did anything change regarding file location/name?

Additionally, I downloaded my personal data today and it was also from Nov 11th, 2008.

--------------------
I am 89% Xythar! I took the "Am I Xythar?" Quiz! by schla313133

"erotic SPEEDCORE happy TERRORCORE / HARDCORE GABBA / trendy fuckwit breakcore tamborine core TYPE DAnCE MUSIC GAME CORE -and SAD CORE .SCREAMING VOX +harsh shit NOISE AND OTHER dum SHIT MUSIC." Best gig ever :)

+Quote Post
Catastrophe
post Feb 1 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #13

Human Sequencer Wannabe

DJ Battle This User

Wow. congrats on 5 years!

The people who don't use 4.0 need to give it another try. The no speed mod thing was affecting me in 3.0 too. (I switched, nope, switched back.) The only thing that bugs me about 4.0, is that new score entries are more convenient on 3.0, and 3.0 somehow fits more songs on my monitor at once. When I'm entering scores for the first time the AJAXy part of 4.0 doesn't help me. And when I want to add a comment or add a hard clear, 4.0 < 3.0 on that point too. But the no-refresh updates for mere numerical changes is soooo worth it. So:
3.0 = new game, entering a ton of new scores
4.0 = raising scores versus my rival

--------------------
Life is short. Don't YOLO too hard. :P

+Quote Post
VaderSeven
post Feb 2 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #14

Gosu

DJ Battle This User

My status graphic is still stuck.

And I REALLY want to see that XML get fixed for taren as his site that analyzes it ROCKS.

--------------------
All the SetNenceS, MES$ up 1 MuS4!

+Quote Post
mast
post Feb 3 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #15

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE (Catastrophe @ Feb 2 2009, 03:03 PM) *
Wow. congrats on 5 years!

^ This

... also ...

The people who don't use 4.0 need to give it another try.

^ This

... also ...

still no xml. But we love you anyway Remy wink.gif

--------------------

"erotic SPEEDCORE happy TERRORCORE / HARDCORE GABBA / trendy fuckwit breakcore tamborine core TYPE DAnCE MUSIC GAME CORE -and SAD CORE .SCREAMING VOX +harsh shit NOISE AND OTHER dum SHIT MUSIC." Best gig ever :)

+Quote Post
mast
post Feb 11 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #16

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE (Taren @ Jan 31 2009, 08:59 AM) *

Bump - slap me if its irritating you, but it's making me sad not to have the xml :\

--------------------

+Quote Post
itsgreylolol
post Feb 11 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #17

I am the end of the world

DJ Battle This User

Yeah, graphics stopped updating again.

--------------------
All numbers not including EMP+PB
[L7] Left to AAA: 3 (Step Into the New World, Fun, Gambol)
[7k] left to A: 1 (Pluto)
11*s left to clear: 9 (waxing and wanding, tripping contact (remix), The Dirty of Loudness, four pieces of heaven, Blocks, Bleeding Luv, Be OK [b])
12*s Cleared: 5
Ds left in IIDX: 4 (Mendes[b], Icarus[b], four pieces of heaven[b], Mei[a])

+Quote Post
mast
post Feb 12 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #18

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE (Remy @ Jan 29 2009, 01:50 PM) *
5-Key Support: I got in my time machine, went back to July, and removed all the 5-key support from the site, as promised. However, in what may have been a reversal from what I said back then, I have left the scores in the database, and they will continue to be counted towards sig images only.

Evidentally I'm the minority that prefers 4.0 - which still shows some of the 5key songs in my user view and on dj battles. But not all of them of course, or it would be an easy bug to fix wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
over there
post Mar 2 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #19

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Sorry to bump this, but 5-key scores are still enterable and count towards singles DJP on 4.0 and (though not enterable) count as hidden doubles DJP in 3.0. I don't mind having them used for sig images only, but is there a way to clear up the DJP inconsistencies and the ability to enter scores for them on 4.0? I basically need to know if I should be playing these for DJP since I really don't use 4.0, but I'm ranked considerably lower on singles DJP on that version without them.

+Quote Post
Taren
post Mar 13 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #20

patsenner

DJ Battle This User

*bump*

Just wanted to let you know, the cron jobs don't appear to be working correctly. My numbers are still the same on the site.
http://superwailingbonus.com/totalrecall/history.php

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th November 2018 - 11:13 AM