IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Facebook Applications
Remy
post Jul 16 2007, 01:22 PM
Post #1

VJ Army is dead or alive

Sakurina/KirbyKirbyKirby was kind enough to code up some simple Facebook applications to display your sig image on your profile.

VJA: http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=2471918627
PNN: http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=2406178417

--------------------
Make rigorous observations, and be prepared to cite your sources.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kirby Kirby Kirb...
post Jul 16 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #2

Cosmic Cat

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Quoting what I said over in the Let's Talk it Over post:
QUOTE(Kirby Kirby Kirby @ Jul 16 2007, 02:22 PM) *
Both do exactly the same thing. They take your user ID (the one you set in your profile here) and display your signature include in your profile. Pretty basic, but it works. If you can set the sig to appear under your username, you should be able to do this. The stats aren't going to be always up-to-date as far as I can tell because Facebook caches images that go through FB applications. I have no idea how often they refresh stats so I guess we'll know once people start using it. If they don't update on a regular enough basis, I'll change the code so it displays pictures as an IFRAME. I shouldn't have to do that, because that'd be retarded, so let's see how this goes. (Also, if anyone has a 16x16 Tran icon or a 16x16 pop-kun icon for me to use on either app so it looks nicer, lemme know.)

ALSO: this is one of the few Facebook apps that doesn't add a stupid icon to the sidebar! Even things that make a box show up in your profile seem to keep shoving an icon in there. This one doesn't.

So yeah, let me know what's wrong with it and I'll see what I can do.

+Quote Post
PkerUNO
post Jul 23 2007, 05:21 AM
Post #3

Tenor Hamster

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(moonmoon @ Jul 23 2007, 06:47 PM) *
Thanks! i know what can i do now with your tips.

Stick them up your spammy arse?

--------------------
PkerUNO

+Quote Post
DJ Chopin
post Jul 25 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #4

i added the application, but all it did was add a little bar that says "VJ Army". no graphic or anything : "(

Did I perhaps enter the wrong ID? I entered it as dj chopin. maybe I was supposed to use CHPN?

+Quote Post
Kirby Kirby Kirb...
post Jul 25 2007, 02:14 PM
Post #5

Cosmic Cat

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

It's your numerical ID for the viewuser.php page.

Yours is 3216.

+Quote Post
DJ Chopin
post Jul 26 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #6

much appreciated. now i can show off my two AAAs to all of facebook!!! god i wish i had better timing

This post has been edited by DJ Chopin: Jul 26 2007, 01:34 PM

+Quote Post
Kirby Kirby Kirb...
post Jul 28 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #7

Cosmic Cat

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I have been notified (and sadly noticed for myself) that the Facebook apps aren't updating the graphic. Since the app has been up for a week now and the images haven't been re-cached over on Facebook's servers, I'm not too sure about how to go about having the image dynamically generate. Apparently, the iframe function doesn't work in profile boxes and that honestly pisses me off. (I haven't tried this yet, I will tomorrow.)

Otherwise, unless there's a loophole in custom CSS (which would be amusing), I would have to add the stat data as text to the profile and have it update at some interval. I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that, so here's hoping iframes work. If someone with developer brainpower sees this and comes up with a brilliant idea, lemme know.

edit: Okay, I don't think I can do this in one day, but basically here's the issue. I was really lazy when I first coded the app, and that means I essentially put it together in the hackiest way possible. The app merely saves the link and image HTML to the user's profile box and the app doesn't interface with my server at all. This was a bad move.

What I'm going to have to do in order for the app to update on a regular basis is collect users' information on my server (essentially their user ID on facebook and their user ID on VJA) and then schedule a cron job that refreshes facebook's cache (turns out there's an API call for that!).

I'm going out to eat tonight, and knowing my parents I won't make it back for a long time, so I doubt I can code all of this tonight, but what this means is that once I deploy the "second version" of VJA/PNN:
- you won't have to reinstall, but you will have to reset your user ID
- your facebook user ID and VJA user ID will be stored on my server, and not only facebook
- it'll then update on the interval I give it (possibly nightly an hour or so after the image generate)

If I eventually have enough time, I can do like those other fancy facebook apps and let you see all of your friends' VJA sig images on one page, but that'll only come once I code the other stuff.

+Quote Post
Kirby Kirby Kirb...
post Dec 9 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #8

Cosmic Cat

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

BUMP
As it was pointed out a few months back, the image in the current VJA app never actually updates. I appear to have found a way to do otherwise, and so I'm running a test version on my profile right now. If all goes well, people who have the VJA app installed will be transitioned to this new version tomorrow. (Pop'n Navy will soon follow.)

However: All users of the VJA app will have to update their sig include ID for the changes to work. The previous version of the app stored no data about users at all, this one will save your user ID on Facebook and your VJA user ID.

If you're one of those "worried about privacy people": All this info lets me do is put a name/face to your VJA UID if I choose to go look all of you up. I don't have access to your great-grandmother's fax number, so don't worry. Oh and I can also theoretically send notifications to all users now if I choose to. I'd rather not.

+Quote Post
Darighaz
post Dec 18 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #9

Rising in the Sun

Thanks for the updates smile.gif

--------------------
watching avatar is like simultaneously being too much of and too little of a homosexual to watch actual anime

- Moogy, anime expert

+Quote Post
Kirby Kirby Kirb...
post Dec 18 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #10

Cosmic Cat

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Actually, the update's not up yet, I've been really busy with the holiday rush and all. I'll get on it right now.

edit: Update is up (VJA). All current users will have to re-enter their user ID if they want their image to update on a regular basis. (By regular basis, I mean that until I figure out a way to automatically regen the images, they'll be manually updated by myself on a daily basis/whenever I go to facebook.)

PNN app is not updated, but the few users of it probably aren't going to care. :/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2018 - 10:13 PM