IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [MISC] Lights 2.0
Remy
post Sep 4 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #1

VJ Army is dead or alive

I know there's a lot of cross over between VJA and Lights, so I figured this was worth posting:

Lights 2.0 has been released! After a relatively long period of downtime, I've restarted the entire project from scratch and made a much better, more secure, and more feature-filled tracker. A combination of a year's worth of actual production programming (lights was one of my first programming projects ever) and quite a bit of help from the community (MazriM TaiM, Santiago22, and rura gave a ton of advice, design ideas, and tips) has made it possible to greatly improve the codebase and funtionality of nearly every part of the site.

For those who have never used or heard of lights, it is more or less a reimplementation of VJ Army for use with arcade versions of IIDX. Currently, you can only enter scores from the newest versions of IIDX that have tighter timing (i.e., 10th and above) so that all scores entered are consistent and fair. Your account is linked to your particular arcade, and you can rank yourself against your arcade and globally. You can enter scores for both songs and expert courses, and ranking pages for both are nearly identical. If you play arcade IIDX, don't hesitate to try it out and give feedback

Some of the new things:
- Almost completely new codebase; code is much more efficient, clean, manageable, and faster.
- Strong javascript/AJAX usage to allow for smoother navigation and responsiveness
- Addition of complete DJ Battle and expert functionality (with new surprises to come in 2.1)
- Extension of VJ Army's user score view concept into "score sheets"- currently you can view a user's song and expert score sheets, an entire arcade's top score sheet, and a similar sheet for DJ battles.
- For those of you who remember this feature, it has now been integrated right into the song select (aka session on VJA) page- if you took a picture but don't remember what song it was, you can do a reverse lookup by the notecount in the picture; now you don't have to leave the song selection page to do so (now uses AJAX).

Something else that should be interesting for some people is that lights is released under the GNU General Public License version 2. This is a very good thing for the developers in the community; with lights being free, open source software you can use the code as you wish in your own project, as long as you adhere to the key points of the license: that your own project is released under the GPL or a compatible license (MIT/etc) and that you also release the entirety of your source code.

Also, this means that you can help with the development of lights- since you have access to the source, you can create your own pages using the (still rather unstable) API and fix bugs if need be. Speaking of bugs, with rura's +ExecCGI generosity, I've been able to set up a bugzilla tracker on the site. If something doesn't work right, is broken, or can be improved, please post a report at http://bugzilla.lights2dx.net/ !

http://lights2dx.net/

--------------------
Make rigorous observations, and be prepared to cite your sources.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rmz
post Sep 4 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #2

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

Last time I looked it Lights it was still in like v0.1 pre-beta or something. Looks good.

+Quote Post
rura
post Sep 5 2006, 02:01 AM
Post #3

Dazzlin' Darlin

Congratulations shinigami. Getting a major release out is always a huge amount of work!

+Quote Post
Catastrophe
post Sep 5 2006, 02:36 AM
Post #4

Human Sequencer Wannabe

DJ Battle This User

Crap. I used to write down my scores. Then I stopped because it was a pain in the neck. Now I'm writing down just my letter grades because I want to know what songs I have left. So can I enter notecounts like 0/580/0/289 for Scream Squad 7H?

--------------------
Life is short. Don't YOLO too hard. :P

+Quote Post
starnix17
post Sep 5 2006, 02:27 PM
Post #5

Dazzlin' Darlin

Hmm... I can't seem to find the registration page.
Anyone want to help me out?

This post has been edited by starnix17: Sep 5 2006, 02:28 PM

--------------------
-Tony

+Quote Post
Kirby Kirby Kirb...
post Sep 5 2006, 03:10 PM
Post #6

Cosmic Cat

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Upper right hand corner.
[Home] [Register] [Log Out] [Session]

(I assume Log Out is Log In if you're not logged in)

+Quote Post
framerate
post Sep 6 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #7

Evergreen

I have been observing Shinigami's progression with this project for a few months now. The old site was cool, but lacked cool web twopointoh stuff. Shinigami has implimented really zippy search (programs?) and the UI is much more easy to navigate than the former site. He has asked me a few times to do some end-user stuff, like testing if the DJ Battle was working, or if the username search was functioning properly. The current product is the fruit of Shinigami's effort at making a VJ Army for the arcade, and in my personal opinion, he has succeeded in his plan to make such a site.

A++.
keep on coding shinigami!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Stand By to Win, WOW!

+Quote Post
starnix17
post Sep 7 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #8

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE(Kirby Kirby Kirby @ Sep 5 2006, 04:10 PM) *
Upper right hand corner.
[Home] [Register] [Log Out] [Session]

(I assume Log Out is Log In if you're not logged in)

Must be a CSS bug in Safari, I'll put it in their Bugzilla.

--------------------
-Tony

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Sep 7 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #9

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

This is hotness, I need to write more scores down o_o I really like the look of the site. smile.gif

+Quote Post
PkerUNO
post Sep 7 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #10

Tenor Hamster

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I don't see the register link either, also using Safari.

EDIT: Actually, it apparently still takes my old username and password, so that's OK.
However, clicking on any of the menu buttons does nothing.

--------------------
PkerUNO

+Quote Post
shinigami_2057
post Sep 8 2006, 08:34 AM
Post #11

Tranoid

Thanks Remy for posting the notice, and thanks for all who have checked it out so far smile.gif Spread the word if you know people who don't post around the community and who play AC IIDX! Since lights is very arcade-oriented, TGA wants me to let them show their last 10 scores on the TGA main page; I can do the same for any other arcade that wants that as well.

Also, I apologize, bugzilla's email system was not set up properly, so I have deleted your account starnix. When you go to sign up again you will get the proper email this time smile.gif Brent- Check your PMs, sexy.

So yeah, sign up and file that bug... I don't have time to fix it (though it's easy) at this very moment, so the report will help me remember o_o. Konqueror obviously would have the same bug (they use virtually the same rendering engine).

--------------------
<davidbrit2> No Doubt Get Loud will make my nuts explode.
QUOTE (Sardius @ Aug 17 2005, 08:18 PM)
fuck goli and all that anime bullshit. the mere inclusion of both g.m.d. AND s.d.z. makes every previous iidx release seem like a disappointment. I'm buying ten copies of this when it comes out and will rub them all over my balls. ALL of them.

QUOTE (dog$ @ Sep 13 2005, 06:59 PM)
Silvia Drive is also nails-on-chalkboard horrible, too; again, the chart is decent but Noria's attempt to out-yodel backyard dogs is a mind numbing atrocity.

+Quote Post
matt4596
post Sep 8 2006, 08:41 AM
Post #12

Dazzlin' Darlin

just an update in terms of machine locations.. Nexus's Happy Sky was sold to Beach Gameland.

so just switch The Nexus Experience with Beach Game Land and change Boca Raton, FL to Clearwater Beach, FL

didn't really think it was a BUG. just an easy fix.

--------------------
If your controller doesn't fall to the ground, you're not playing pyramid ex right.

+Quote Post
Mafia Boss
post Sep 8 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #13

too busy for IIDX

QUOTE(starnix17 @ Sep 7 2006, 08:48 PM) *
Must be a CSS bug in Safari, I'll put it in their Bugzilla.

That's a pretty brash assumption. Honestly I suspect the Safari guys know a little more about CSS than we do wink.gif Let's give them a little bit of credit and try to debug things on our own before assuming browser bugs.

+Quote Post
starnix17
post Sep 8 2006, 02:06 PM
Post #14

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE(Mafia Boss @ Sep 8 2006, 11:58 AM) *
That's a pretty brash assumption. Honestly I suspect the Safari guys know a little more about CSS than we do wink.gif Let's give them a little bit of credit and try to debug things on our own before assuming browser bugs.

Sorry, that's what I meant. I didn't mean that Safari had a problem, I just meant that the Lights stylesheet (and maybe Javascript?) causes buttons to disappear in Safari.

After tinkering with it for a little, I think that the Javascript that switches between the session and view menus is what's causing Safari to hide the menus.

--------------------
-Tony

+Quote Post
shinigami_2057
post Sep 9 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #15

Tranoid

After updating to the latest version of Konqueror, the bug reared its ugly head on my machine (KHTML and WebKit are just about one in the same nowadays). It appears to be that some of jQuery's methods (in their current implementation) are incompatible with these engines. Changing directly to setting style.display from DOM seems to fix it; can anyone with a Mac please confirm/deny this in Safari?

http://bugzilla.lights2dx.net/show_bug.cgi?id=3 The patch is here; if it now works in Safari I will close the bug report.

--------------------
fuck goli and all that anime bullshit. the mere inclusion of both g.m.d. AND s.d.z. makes every previous iidx release seem like a disappointment. I'm buying ten copies of this when it comes out and will rub them all over my balls. ALL of them.

Silvia Drive is also nails-on-chalkboard horrible, too; again, the chart is decent but Noria's attempt to out-yodel backyard dogs is a mind numbing atrocity.

+Quote Post
PkerUNO
post Sep 9 2006, 11:18 AM
Post #16

Tenor Hamster

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Nope... the Register/Logout stuff was there, but when you click on a meny item, they disappear. And neither Session, View nor Submit do anything.

--------------------
PkerUNO

+Quote Post
shinigami_2057
post Sep 9 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #17

Tranoid

Problem solved, new patch committed. Thanks Pker!

--------------------

+Quote Post
starnix17
post Sep 10 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #18

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE(shinigami_2057 @ Sep 9 2006, 12:09 PM) *
Changing directly to setting style.display from DOM seems to fix it; can anyone with a Mac please confirm/deny this in Safari?

It's fixed now, looks much better!

--------------------
-Tony

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2018 - 06:01 PM