Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Aug 18 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #122

Banned Routine

have you read the comics?

--------------------
I respond so fast I might break the prison glass.
So you're saying you should be able to act like this to a forum administrator, or a teacher, or a police officer, or your own parents and get away with it. You're supposed to respect these folks.

If you or a friend has the Sailor Moon S (uncut) boxset, or any of the Sailor Moon movies (uncut), and would like to sell or trade them, please contact me!
QUOTE (_ηρα @ Jul 13 2008, 05:15 AM) *
The way I see it, me and Axem are lucky in that we have around 4 years to avoid becoming an utter fuckup like you. It's a nice feeling, being young.

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Aug 18 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #123

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

nope, but I played the first level of the game

--------------------

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Aug 18 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #124

Banned Routine

ah well the game is great

the movie is...enjoyable. maybe you'll have fewer problems with it if you're not familiar with the source material.

or maybe it'll have absolutely no soul or coherence because you won't know where it's coming from. hard to say. :s

--------------------
So you're saying you should be able to act like this to a forum administrator, or a teacher, or a police officer, or your own parents and get away with it. You're supposed to respect these folks.

If you or a friend has the Sailor Moon S (uncut) boxset, or any of the Sailor Moon movies (uncut), and would like to sell or trade them, please contact me!
The way I see it, me and Axem are lucky in that we have around 4 years to avoid becoming an utter fuckup like you. It's a nice feeling, being young.

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Aug 18 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #125

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Yeah... Well, I really liked the other films Edgar Wright is done and the film looked pretty great in the theatrical trailers so hopefully I'll enjoy it

What did you think of Inception?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Aug 18 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #126

Banned Routine

Yeah I like his other movies too. But with how he handled the source material with this one, it was like, "Okay, I want to make another genre film!...Uh, how can we make this a genre film?" and after a certain point in the script the film realises how much stuff it has to fit in its remaining time and just starts throwing stuff to the wall to see what sticks, and by the end of the movie things have become so convoluted that it's hard to have any investment in what's going on onscreen (beyond kneejerk reactions) because most of what the first act spent its capital establishing has faded so far into the background that you wonder why they bothered in the first place.

Good sentence. Well, if you like it, read the comic. If you don't like it...read the comic.

Inception was basically perfect. Audiovisually stunning, well-paced, painstakingly complex and yet easy to follow without the film constantly coddling you with extraneous expositional dialog. It refused to get bogged down in the nuances of its science-fiction elements, and thus kept from being too contrived, and was able to focus entirely on interweaving an intense emotional narrative with what was, essentially, an ensemble heist thriller. But one that through clever use of a modest gimmick was able to encompass so, so much more ground (both figuratively and literally!) than the sum of its parts. Lots of ways to read it, lots of ways to watch it, lots of reasons to see it again. And something that doesn't seem to come up often is that it's a time travel movie that works. Endlessly fascinating, to me anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Aug 18 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #127

Banned Routine

repping the triumverate of shitty posting all up in

--------------------

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Aug 18 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #128

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Yeah I agree about Inception, at first I felt like they could have done more crazy stuff with the (relatively conventional) dream settings but it's not really the point of the film and it works pretty great as-is. The direction was also some of the most... economical? I don't really know the best word to use, but it basically uses the exact right amount of time to show and explain everything without beating the viewer over the head with concepts.

I also loved Memento and The Dark Knight and I picked up The Prestige on blu-ray but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post Aug 18 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #129

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

I left Inception wanting to know all more about the magical dreamy device and its rules

...well done

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."

+Quote Post
Theoretically Ga...
post Aug 18 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #130

Tranoid

QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Aug 18 2010, 10:20 PM) *
I left Inception wanting to know all more about the magical dreamy device and its rules

...well done

You see this is one (of the many!) things Inception did perfectly, and that alot of sci-fi fails horribly with. We have absolutely no clue how the dream boxes work, Nolan doesn't bother trying to explain how they work, and doing would only detract from the story. Really, how would rationalizing the magic further develop Cobb's obsession with the dreamworld/Mal, or build the operation's tension, or... anything?

I mean maybe this is a completely unfair contrast, but consider the opposite extreme, most episodes of Star Trek TNG. At best, Geordi rambling on about how warp core dilithium crystals and deflector is just padding. Knowing how the Enterprise goes from point A to point B doesn't flesh out the TNG world in any interesting way, it doesn't make me care anymore about the cast's dynamic, and doesn't contribute to the alien interactions. At WORST, the technobabble is used as a cop-out to resolve an episode's main conflict.

Magic should do what the story requires of it, and get out of the way as soon as possible. We don't know how the dream boxes work, we don't know how the Tardis works, but we don't have to and the fiction's better for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Aug 18 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #131

Banned Routine

xeno hehe hit the nail right on the head, see:
QUOTE (Axem Rangers @ Aug 18 2010, 08:16 PM) *
It refused to get bogged down in the nuances of its science-fiction elements

Totally agree on that point dude.

Xyth I was actually initially very disappointed that there wasn't more kooky dream stuff as well, but as you said it all worked out for the best in terms of the plot and helping you keep your focus, and I think an ulterior motive for this may have been to keep the movie from turning into a CG fest.

(wiki sez: Inception had close to 500 visual effects shots (in comparison, Batman Begins had approximately 620) which is considered minor in comparison to contemporary visual effects epics that can have around 1,500 or 2,000 VFX shots.[41]))

Memento is classic and if you're into that sort of 90's, toying with reality and the perception thereof kind of movie you should check out "Dark City (1998)" (which I may have mentioned in this thread a few pages ago?). There was a new director's cut released on DVD a couple years ago that's especially great... It's got Kiefer Sutherland, Jennifer Connelly, William Hurt... Wouldn't want to give away too much about the film but it's a sort of neo-noir detective story with gorgeous and deliberate set design, very dark aesthetics and fast paced, claustrophobic cuts. A sprinkle of sci-fi and the reveals in the film's final act give it a concrete psychological edge, just enough to push it over the edge and make it really engrossing. A long time favorite of mine, let me know if you see it (or have already seen it haha).

QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Aug 18 2010, 09:20 PM) *

...well done

have you heard of this show "death note" plenty of rules there

--------------------

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Aug 18 2010, 10:55 PM
Post #132

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I've seen Dark City and I own it on DVD and Blu-Ray, it's one of my favourite films. It was actually the first film I saw Kiefer Sutherland in so it always made watching 24 feel kind of weird.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Aug 18 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #133

Banned Routine

oh nice, well, one step ahead of me then :B

--------------------

+Quote Post
security tubbs
post Aug 18 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #134

The Shadow

QUOTE (chotto kiitena @ Aug 18 2010, 05:57 PM) *
Yeah... Well, I really liked the other films Edgar Wright is done and the film looked pretty great in the theatrical trailers so hopefully I'll enjoy it

I'm gonna give you this, as someone who read v1 of the series and didn't like it: The film's damn solid.

This is all you need to know comic-wise to make the film work: nothing. It is a good film and it doesn't try to be the books, it tries to work. As a film, it solidly does. Edgar Wright pulled it off.

Also that game's great too. I'm loving that. I apparently like everything but the source material. (this is a lie, I just like Edgar Wright and the Paul Robertson/Amanaguchi combo)

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Aug 18 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #135

Banned Routine

I actually don't think the movie took enough creative liberties (something, you know, that I never thought I'd say about any script to screen adaption of anything), and is thusly kind of stuck with a back nine that's really compressed and a bunch of extended one note jokes that get kind of hackneyed, and a bunch of characters that get established and then sit out the rest of the movie, and a bunch of subplots and relationships that get enough of a nod to make you wonder where they could be going and then are never mentioned again.

And the liberties it did take (such as framing the entire story in a "battle of the bands" setup) didn't really serve to streamline the narrative or add anything.

Welp,

--------------------

+Quote Post
Axem Rangers
post Aug 18 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #136

Banned Routine

just another shitty post courtesy of axemrangers

I wouldn't quite write the comic off after the first issue, by the way. The scope of the story and the characters only grows and grows, and ultimately it's quite rewarding. While it's hardly a masterpiece (and in fact is one of the few things I might self-identify as a "guilty pleasure"), the fine line it walks between painstakingly focus-tested exploitational sentimentality and full-on condescension is so genuine that it really creates a unique aesthetic, and is at the very least pleasantly addictive. If you really do like the movie, then give it another shot. It certainly goes somewhere from the first volume.

--------------------

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post Aug 19 2010, 12:10 AM
Post #137

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Axem Rangers @ Aug 18 2010, 09:55 PM) *
I actually don't think the movie took enough creative liberties (something, you know, that I never thought I'd say about any script to screen adaption of anything)

Watchmen?

--------------------
QUOTE (IIDX Clock @ Jan 31 2009, 08:21 AM) *
actually, Japan has REALLY high technology.

heck they even have predecessors to HD already

+Quote Post
security tubbs
post Aug 19 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #138

The Shadow

QUOTE (Axem Rangers @ Aug 18 2010, 09:56 PM) *
I wouldn't quite write the comic off after the first issue, by the way.

I didn't really like a single person in it, though.

I mean, I tend to give things a two issue/episode/whatever test, but at $10 a pop and finding the entire first sixth SO damn unimpressive I had no reason to go on. The game is basically scratching any itch I had with the series.

+Quote Post
Fake-ass John Tr...
post Aug 19 2010, 01:46 AM
Post #139

betty spaghetti

DJ Battle This User

hey xythar has bangs ever taken u to da movies v.gif

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Aug 19 2010, 02:54 AM