IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> IIDX player interview #5 linus AKA dj LAI, ghli
Buffalo
post Dec 3 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #1

The Shadow

Linus is a player from Hong Kong who's well known in the stepmania scene and the IIDX scene. We talk about IIDX and discuss the Hong Kong scene for IIDX as well. Hope everyone enjoys this interview!

Velius: How did you get started playing IIDX?

linus: oh... long story...

alright. I was quite interested in music game since I was small. Basically, first I found FFR (you should know what it is huh) by search "ddr simulator" on google. because DDR was the first music game that I played. Then on FFR forum I found Stepmania and Bemanistyle forum, on the forum I knew about iidx. (I had played bm at that time but I don't know about the 7keys iidx!), (not the end.)

At that time bms has lots of tatsujins and shits and it looks pretty fun. There were lots Stepmania simfiles with iidx songs so I listened to lots of iidx song before I actually played it too. Then at a time when ps2 got cheaper, I bought it with CS 8th style and a KOC and wala~ can't stop playing. That's it. Some parts of the answers seems unrelated but whatever.

Velius: its fine. so you actually started on 8th style for the ps2

linus: ya

Velius: thats interesting because started on 8th style as well

linus: hahaha. I started not long after 8th was released too. Exact time I started is 2005 Jan. 8th was released in end of 2004 iirc

Velius: yeah i got started on december 2004. alright on to the next question

Prior to playing IIDX, did you have any musical experience?

linus: Musical experience? as in playing a musical instrument? No. But i had played several music games before.

Velius: Did you ever want to pick up a instrument after playing IIDX?

linus: Yes lol. I would like to learn piano. I think it is largely because of iidx.

Velius: Yeah, I'm trying to learn piano. Its hard though trying to learn to read music

linus: ya i had had a few lessons long time ago too... but gave up because i have no time. too busy in school.

Velius: What is your favorite style?

linus: For CS, I'd say DJ Troopers. (music, charts, systems, graphics all combined).

you can make request if you want any elaboration

Velius: ah well did you like the addition of black anothers

linus: Not really. Except for some of them in double

Velius: What is your green number?

linus: 302 - 305 on ac single. 325 - 335 on ac double.

In CS, i use 10 points faster. (292 - 295, 315 - 325)

Velius: oh wow i read slightly faster 270 range. if im out of practice ill go to the 280 range

linus: I can't read so fast. 300 is the most comfortable for me

Velius:What are some of your favorite charts to play?

linus:
SP: radius, satfinal, wanna party?, airflow, naughty girl, and all the no-scratches!
DP: mirage residence, kick out仮面, punch love 仮面 (all on another)

Velius: What is one song you wish had a Black Another?

linus: Sweet Lab, Starmine. and some songs that have hard dpa chart but easy (<lv10) spa chart.

Velius: Many players in IIDX have unique playstyles. Could you describe your playstyle?

linus:
In the past when I only play in CS with my KOC,
scratch - left pinky 1 - left ring, 2 - left middle, 3 - left index, 4 - right index, 5 - right thumb/right index (rarely), 6 - right middle, 7 - right ring/ring pinky/stacked (ring stacked on pinky to give support/strength)

Notable things:
At that time,
I never use my left thumb. S+1/S+2 -> pinky+left middle or S+3 -> pinky+left index.
My right hand very very rarely hit key 1,2,3 (the left hand area) and vice versa.

Then I got raped by AC because your left pinky will never reach the turntable with this playstyle lol. And you can't grip and turn the turntable with pinky only. So I started using my left thumb (starting at ac empress. then i play frequently in ac starting at that time).

Basic fingering is still the same, but when there is scratch with 1/2/3:
S+1 -> left thumb. S+2 -> left index. S+3 -> left thumb/right thumb (most of the time)

Now I can use both/mixed playstyles in CS. (but i rarely play CS single play now so whatever).

Velius: yeah i had that same playstyle too and that same problem as well. i think csta back in the day posted it and i was like well hes the best around right i should copy him!

If you could add or change one thing with your playstyle, what would it be

linus: I only want my left thumb to get better!

Velius: Who are some of your favorite players to watch?

linus: DOLCE. and EXIT

Velius: Were there any players that inspired you when you were playing?

linus: Not sure. Maybe no. I develop and realize my playstyle just by playing a lot.

Velius: ahh alright. so it wasnt the black anothers that made you say DJT is the best style all around

Velius: i guess in the beginning alot of people were very hype about them but as time went on, people didn't really like them save for a couple of charts

linus: but I did not get it at the beginning lol.

Velius: i dont think anyone did or atleast anyone who didnt play bmses

linus: It looks cool, but when you play it... awww.

Velius: yeah speaking of which, did you play any of the japanese bmses. you know with the rating scale of 1-24

linus: ya i know. one day I went to my friend's home to play that. I passed 7th dan ^^
my limit is around lv14 or so i guess

Velius: well thats better than me and alot of players haha

linus: some of the "hard" bms are fun. bunch of nice songs too

Velius: yeah theres some good stuff but stuff like gengazo uugh

linus: lol i think that song is pretty hype! chart is quite boring though

Velius: yea its pretty gay. so did playing these bmses help you improve faster

linus: haha no because I only played that for one day!

Velius: ah i see. another thing i found out was alot of japanese players play bmses not just the good players

linus: sure, there are easy bmses too. some people at hong kong play bms too. to save money at the arcade and with all that internet ranking and rivals shits available in lr2 now, it is comparable to playing at the arcade...

Velius: yeah it is somewhat. especially with the skins

linus: ya =S. i played on a perfect sirius skin lol. I still enjoy playing at the arcade though and if i were to play those hard bms seriously, I'll use keyboard instead

Velius: hahaha keyboard sounds preferrable though. do you guys have RA

linus: not yet

Velius: its not out in the asia region yet?

linus: Yea. We usuaully get it when it is end of beat 3 in Japan

Velius: that kinda sucks

linus: hmm... you need to get used to it

Velius: yeah thats true

linus: We got Sirius in March

Velius: getting it late is better than not having an arcade at all

linus: yea... i feel worse for you guys

Velius: yeah arcades are dying even faster now here even in california which is pretty much the arcade capital

linus: I guess you will have to switch to playing bmses unless you have a ps3?

Velius: nah not yet anyway. i hope the series continues somehow

linus: ya. but on ps3 for sure =/.

I won't buy a ps3 anytime soon

Velius: yea the price is rapidly dropping though. much better than 599 USD haha

linus: maybe when it is 299 i'll consider it haha.

Velius: haha. what else… well i think its great i finally interview a player who reads slower than me. everyone i have interviewed so far reads way faster
250 green number hs4 sudden + etc

linus: hahaha that's crazy. that's playing by reflex

Velius: yeah i think its just the american players i think. everyone else in japan seems to read slower except for a couple of people

linus: I always believe that when you play harder songs, you need to read slower to give you more time to "analyse" those sea of keys

Velius: yeah i agree. songs like mei [a] i try to read slower than usual

linus: for easier song you may want to read slower too! so that when you see a 67 trills you have enough time to migrate to left hand to hit 6
conclusion: read slower! lol.

Velius: haha. i just learned to do 6 7 trills with my ring and middle but i could try that on faster songs

linus: i can, but you can't get JG them all!

Velius: truee

linus: on easier song you aim at JG every notes so it is important to tackle shitty patterns by alternating hands. you get what i mean =D. you need to be more familiar with the charts first before you do all that freeforming i guess. there is a video on nico where a player hit scales with left hand on the white keys and right on black and getting JGs on all of them. i was like :-O

Velius: you are pretty good at double right?

linus: an average 10th dan

Velius: haha. what advice would you give to new players trying to learn double or players who are really good at single play and want to try learning double because i tried learning double and i have no clue where to start. I cleared a couple 6s and 7s thats about it

linus: sometimes when I was bored I play one-hand. not sure if that helped. i was referring to old-day in 2007 or so. when I wasn't even a kaiden.
I started double on DistorteD. It has a lot of nice easy double charts. Happy Sky too. It is ideal to start on Happy Sky and DistorteD i guess.

Velius: ah i see so did playing double or one hand help you improve at single or is it something entirely different

linus: It does help! like a magic

Velius: ahh maybe I should try learning double again or playing one hand

linus: playing double is more fun than one hand =D

Velius: yeah thats probably true too

linus: one hand is too hard to progress

Velius: alot less frustrating maybe

linus: ya. playing double is like playing a new game. so fun.

just keep playing and you will progress quickly. Until you passed 10th dan, it starts getting frustrating again haha.
especially you are already kaiden at single. 10th dan won't take long. around a year or so

Velius: haha yeah i guess so
so nowadays do you prefer double or single or do you like both equally?

linus: I play double in CS and single in AC

Velius: you dont like playing double on AC?

linus: you have to pay 2 credits D=.

Velius: oh thats right. no joint premium

linus: there is such setting in AC as known as "1 credit double". But only one arcade switched to that. and it is too far from me.

Velius: ah i see so i guess since were on the subject of arcades. how are arcades doing in hong kong

linus: There are around 10 arcades that gurantees they will get the newest style of iidx periodically. We have a constant player base in Hong Kong too. Not seeing many new players joining iidx. but no one is quitting as well...

Velius: well iidx is a difficult game to get into

linus: true

in each arcade there are regulars. if you are decent and have a notable playcount, everyone will know you... iidx community is quite united.

Velius: is there a website of some sort where players from hong kong interact?

linus: there is a lot of website like sss as well, but all of them mainly focus on drummania/guitar freaks and you won't see much activities and discussions in the iidx sub-board... however we are inter-related by msn community

Velius: ah. drummania and guitar freaks is more popular

Velius: what about guitar hero and rock band >_>

linus: no lol.

Velius: Lol

Velius: i guess its really only popular in america and europe

linus: i think so.

I'd like to add that in each arcade there are at least one kaiden regular and there are active as fuc~ and they will talk to you if they have never seen you before and of course the kaidens are friends with each other too.

so i guess that explains the linkage of iidx players in Hong Kong. you are bound to be friend with a kaiden lol and of course a worse player may also ask you to play with him/her so they can try to hard clear things on all four songs

Velius: ah. thats a neat idea

linus: oh yea and in Hong Kong, playing both side is cheaper. we have 5/8 for now, which means 5 dollars (Hong Kong dollar) if you play alone, but 8 dollars for two players

get it? because two players is cheaper, you have no reason to reject him/her unless you wanted to play double. you will never have this setting in Japan

Velius: so what type of iidx cab do you play on. the new lcd models or the old crt model?

linus: crt is the norm. hard as fuc to time on lcd there are still at least 2 lcd model in Hong Kong tho that I know of

Velius: yeah it seems from what people have been telling me that the lcd model isnt preferred at all for scoring purposes if you dont care about scoring than its w/e i guess

AAAing Mei [a] is considered by many to be the pinnacle achievement and has yet to be done by the English speaking IIDX community. Do you believe someone will eventually do it?

linus: someone in where? many japanese has done it already. As in Hong Kong, the best score is AAA-80 or so... so ya it will be done. And in sss, jadin and chkn will eventually get it too. what about schala

Velius: she quit. had an 87%

linus: aw. you guys have crazy playcount on songs

Velius: haha

linus: i saw some of the schala's ss... and she had like 700 playcount on blue mirage i was like wat da fuc...

Velius: yeah haha well its mainly her i think

linus: i don't even have one song that has over 200

Velius: i think the only thing that comes close for me is my mei playcount on emp is in the 180s right now and it would probably be way higher if you count restarts

linus: you know, at first (long time ago) i don't really believe schala's score... then she posted several ss with high as hell playcount. since then I never doubted her again

I saw her effort

Velius: most pro japs have similar playcounts i have found like tanmen played mei 700 times on sirius

linus: awwwww

Velius: this isnt conting other ac styles and cs so it could be way higher than 700 and he has multiple songs over 400+ playcounts. so i think its just something to be expected to be that good, you have to pay the price

linus: damn that's desperate. i will never have that patience to practise the hardest song over and over and over again... to get good.

Velius: yeah its really frustrating tiring and painful

linus: do you know their playcount within a style? for playcount i mean the number of credit they paid in a style.

Velius: oh i have no idea

linus: In Hong Kong, there are like 4 or 5 people with a playcount of >2000 in empress but they mainly focus on fc'ing songs/playing easy songs so they don't have significant improvement in hard songs however one of them went from 7th dan to 10th dan within one style, i think that's significant

Velius: yeah thats pretty good. i had no idea e-amuse kept track of how many games you've played

linus: oh yeah they have it starting from djtroopers i think. they don't have it in GOLD
now i have >600 on sirius =p.
i had 1011 on empress

Velius: ah

linus: seems a lot, but not really since you have a whole year to play.

Velius: yeah. how much do you play per week

linus: 20-30 games or so

Velius: ah do you still play cs

linus: yes, for double. I can't time on single now for cs =x

Velius: do you think the timing for cs is different from ac

linus: hmmm... i don't think there is a big difference. The difference comes from the different feeling of the controllers especially when you are using koc...
koc felt like shit after you have played in ac lol.

Velius: haha yeah id figure

linus: why I insist on playing double is because I would like to pass kaiden eventually

Velius: yeah that would be great to be kaiden in both single and double

linus: no one in Hong Kong had dp kaiden... there are 2 or 3 people who came close but gave up eventually. God damn quasar

Velius: yeah that song is shit i think itd be doable if you played the djt one

linus: GOLD is the easiest but I don't have a copy of GOLD lol. DD is the hardest

Velius: yeah i dont have a copy of gold too. so moving on

what do you do when you get frustrated or hit a wall

linus: stop playing for a while, 2 to 3 weeks, dig out older styles to clean up some old scores, play doubles =p. These are the things that i did.

Velius: those are pretty good suggestions. play older styles and forget about the hard stuff or play double

linus: at the time of RED I'd still play 8th style from time to time but for now I can't time on pre-9th style interface anymore lol. 9th is still okay tho

Velius: i dont think anyone can now lol. im sure youd be able to do it if you played pre 9th styles exclusively for a little bit

linus: no point in doing that already. most of the good stuff in 8th had been revived

Velius: what are your thoughts on charge notes and bss

linus: ah~ not too bad really. except for almagest[a].

Velius: yeah that seems to be the worst chart. i think i would probably get more points just not doing the charge notes at all

linus: Elisha[a] is almost intolerable too. But I can almost full combo it so it is still fine. Elisha[h] is really fun though. charge notes charts in RA seems fun too.

Just make sure they don't come up with shit like almagest again it is okay but i know they eventually will...

Velius: wont be long until we have o2jam shit alright i guess this concludes the interview

linus: awww yeah~

Velius: would you like to add any closing statements

linus: hm....

iidx is going downhill musicwise. Guys from Beatonic nations are too oriented on making "boss" songs, with clusterfuck charts that every little sound is mapped onto a key, using the same combination of instruments/sounds again and again. I'm getting tired of them. Though I'm glad to see some refreshments like session 9 and 灼熱beach side bunny in RA.

In a long term, beatonic nations need to be more creative, or just fuck it! just bring me back TaQ and Slake and Aya and sampling masters and symphonic defoggers and asletics

Velius: haha great closing statement. thank you for letting me interview you

linus: thank you for inviting me =D I'd love to see interviews of other sss players too. Good luck processing the answers.

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Krazy
post Dec 3 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #2

Flesvelka

DJ Battle This User

haha I had no idea you were from Hong Kong we should have hung out when I was there. I usually went to MK88 or Virtual Zone, but this was back when Troopers AC was getting old (right before Empress AC arrived) and I think a lot of people didn't play Troopers AC anymore because Troopers CS was already out, so I didn't really see a lot of people.

+Quote Post
linus
post Dec 3 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #3

Tranoid

MK88 has a bad enviroment, average machine but expensive as fuc (they don't care enough to do price cut even when it is the end of style) so no one really go there to play lol. They didn't even get empress but somehow they have sirius now.
Virtual Zone is okay for tourists/foreigners to play I guess. But isn't it a bit hard to find? I used to play there when I have no e-pass.

This is the arcade I usually hang out now. A really small arcade but they have a nice machine.
Prince Edward mtr station, Exit B2. then -> http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm901013

Find me there when you guys come to HK =D.

--------------------
TRANの真の敵はTatsh

Q: Tatsh is the real enemy of Tran, why?

A: THE DIRTY OF LOUDNESS

+Quote Post
Krazy
post Dec 4 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #4

Flesvelka

DJ Battle This User

Virtual Zone was convenient because it was kind of on my commute to school (and had every bemani). I agree that MK88 wasn't the greatest environment but it was nice because there were 2 IIDX's, 2 pop'ns, 4 jubeats, and like 4 drummanias when I was there, and the IIDX price was still only 6HKD which is still pretty much cheaper than any other country. There were a couple other places I went once or twice but those two were always the most convenient for me to go to in terms of location.

+Quote Post
Krelian
post Dec 4 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #5

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

Diu~ I'm from Macau =D

--------------------

I have now Hard Cleared Himiko with my own hands!

+Quote Post
SEXYSEXYCHEVY
post Dec 4 2010, 02:05 AM
Post #6

funny yet handsome

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I like interviews that say I will tripple mei

--------------------

TOO MANY SPINDISKS!!!!!!
( TANE IS LOVE [updated a bunch])
QUOTE (Junglist King @ Oct 8 2009, 01:44 PM) *
pabst blue ribobn

+Quote Post
linus
post Dec 4 2010, 04:44 AM
Post #7

Tranoid

haha ya plz do it i rly wanna see.

And wtf krelian? Do you play AC? If so I think I know who you are...

--------------------
TRANの真の敵はTatsh

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Dec 4 2010, 05:33 AM
Post #8

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

More importantly, will anyone ever 冥冥冥 A [a]?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Dec 4 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #9

I♥prat fall

I didn't know linus was from HK eitherrr

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
dj FU
post Dec 4 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #10

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

I hope there's an interview with HOOD scheduled.

+Quote Post
SEXYSEXYCHEVY
post Dec 4 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #11

funny yet handsome

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

interview me and jadin at the same time and let us argue

--------------------

TOO MANY SPINDISKS!!!!!!
pabst blue ribobn

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Dec 4 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #12

The Shadow

lmao I PMed you asking if you'd like to participate and you never responded...or you never got the PM. one or the other

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Dec 4 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #13

I♥prat fall

I'd love to see chkn interviewwww

--------------------

+Quote Post
SEXYSEXYCHEVY
post Dec 4 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #14

funny yet handsome

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (Buffalo @ Dec 4 2010, 04:50 PM) *
lmao I PMed you asking if you'd like to participate and you never responded...or you never got the PM. one or the other

I sent you an IM BUT i guess that was WRONG but yeah you can hit me up on aim whenever

--------------------

TOO MANY SPINDISKS!!!!!!
pabst blue ribobn

+Quote Post
Krelian
post Dec 4 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #15

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

@Lai
Not possible, I live in Canada... =3

Although i went back to Macau during DistorteD era (when Gold was about to be released); and for that time, I guess some guy said i was 4th in Macau or something. I mostly played at the arcades near Dai 3 Ba. (One's located underground of some theatre I think named Kwok Wah, and the other one pretty next to it lol). If there's still that DistorteD Machine, you could probably see my name lol.

I'll PM you if i ever come back to China, I might go this summer or something.

--------------------

I have now Hard Cleared Himiko with my own hands!

+Quote Post
linus
post Dec 5 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #16

Tranoid

oic.

This thread has been hijacked by Chinese and jadin and chkn aww.

--------------------
TRANの真の敵はTatsh

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Dec 5 2010, 01:47 AM
Post #17

I♥prat fall

linus play super meat boy :>

--------------------

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post Dec 5 2010, 02:31 AM
Post #18

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (linus @ Dec 5 2010, 12:20 AM) *
oic.

This thread has been Hacked By Chinese! and jadin and chkn aww.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snapps
post Dec 5 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #19

Dazzlin' Darlin

lol linus

--------------------

+Quote Post
linus
post Dec 5 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #20

Tranoid

o snap. Forum stalker.

--------------------
TRANの真の敵はTatsh

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd February 2018 - 02:48 PM