49 Pages V  « < 47 48 49  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> S3 Mafia 4 :: Game Over
cyghfer
post Dec 18 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #961

Candy Galy

here's my long-winded post about the setup

i had several core ideas that i definitely wanted to include regardless of the character roles people submitted. all the item-giving roles and the thief role, for one, and the scum's "extra" abilities. that was going to be my gimmick in the fire emblem game i was planning to run - "quintessence" is a thing in that game, human life force basically, and the bad guys steal it from people upon killing them.

bigc's role was my personal favorite, and i was incredibly sad scum decided to NK him n1. goddamn i was so hyped when he managed to guess vgamet's postcount correctly and then he's just killed, it was sad as hell. it would've been like the best thing ever if bigc managed to like guess all 3 correctly on a night late in the game and destroy the scum with blocked nightkill + lynchproof or something. and also i guess this would've been more effective for someone like krys or shane but i liked that the gambler could attempt to influence others in the thread to align their content favorably with his own guesses.

carl's role close second for sure, i think everyone can see why. also really disappointed he never got the chance to use it, would've been hilarious to have some nice old private verifications up in this shit.

i actually almost scrapped krystal's role right before i started the game because i originally had it so people would be informed that they were receiving books, cuz flavor-wise duh you'd know if you read a children's book. but after i removed that aspect i thought her role was pretty dope too. she had the option of getting multiple people to 3 books so that if any of them tried to NK her it would just fail, and she had versatility with getting reads on her masonbuddies and who they sent books to without her role being too overpowered in anyway (i think). apparently krystal in masons is deadly regardless though

i've always liked the idea of items and gauging reactions through who they're given to and their use, and i wanted to see if a fabricator who could impersonate town items would do cool things. then i figured hey aud wants to play but he's really not a good mafia player at all (lol sry aud but you know it) so why not give him a THIRD outside-of-thread item-giving role. notice how the town item role could only add the extra 250 word description - it couldn't withhold the official description or change the names of the items offered. the fabricator could change the names of the items at will, but couldn't withhold the official description (since they were inherently misleading in the first place), and the out-of-thread inventor had the MOST flexibility over the presentation of his items. was really curious if there'd be some cool interplay between all that but, it ended up not panning out sadly.

more about audity's role. i wanted him to actually have some kind of effect on the game, but not in any kind of substantive way. some of his items were purely flavor-oriented (the passive poop which pidgey got - that would only send the message, it wouldn't actually do anything); some seemed purely flavor-oriented but in actuality were geared to interact with certain roles (the lotto ticket item was specifically for bigc's role, the pendants interacted with bigc's actions-guessing thing, the moontree could be interacted with after death by pidgey's medium and spineshark's fake gravedig, etc.); and some actually did some interesting things, like the olllaaaaa piece of death thing of course. but it was mainly a church/society-type role that was meant to provide humor and fuck with BOTH of the in-game item-distributing roles.

oh, and then, oh boy. both mbd AND spineshark submitted game controllers as their CYOR roles. the "owned-masons" idea came from wins32767's NYC 1887 CYOR game which was hosted on SA recently, and since i already had items in the game, i decided to itemize them basically. i thought mbd's role was fucking rad and i was excited to see if he could end up making good use of his secret redirect. spineshark's role's coolness kinda goes without saying.

i have to give a deep apology to shane, btw. i actually had you as an alternating-nights serial killer a little bit before i started the game, when i changed you to just town. you were also a thief, and your "town" ability was a kill-redirector much like you had in xythar's game (fate switcher, without the lynchswap bullshit). that way scum would be less inclined to think you were SK when a kill on you was instead directed to some other guy. spimmmm also was a survivor-inventor-mason finder with a restricted win condition wherein at the beginning of the game he had to declare the number of lynches throughout the game he had to be a part of, and the number couldn't be 3. i'll say more about these 3rd party things later in this post, though.

hmmm what else. pidgey's ability was originally all a part of sync's ability but i split them and decided to give sync a ridiculously powerful commuter / poisonkill role to suit his flavor. lee's role was better suited to the setup when shane was still a serial killer with his kill redirect thing, since he would nullify that. i still think his role was a pretty cool spin on the typically boring empowerer role, it would be able to stop: bosscrab's roleblock, spineshark's jail, carl's verification, krys' roleblock, spimmmm's bus drive item, mbd's redirect, pidgey's redirect, maybe one or two other things.

vader's role was actually incredibly safe for town, though he didn't know it. the only scum who would have benefited from being invigorated was bosscrab. i always liked xythar's cop thing he gave to mazrim in his game so i gave croni a 1-shot use of that.

vgamet being a kill-oriented scum role happened when he submitted his flavor role (badass manga, btw). making a scum dayvig was probably my big moment of "don't fucking assume a guy is one alignment because he has a particular role." bosscrab's role was a thing i wanted to be in the setup regardless of anything else because i think effect copier is a really interesting role for scum to have and being able to throw yourself into cop investigations as godfather is pretty awesome (which happened n1, btw). i struggled the most with spineshark's role. i tried SO many different ideas with is role to round out the scumteam and balance against the rest of the game, holy shit. it ended up being 2 roleblock abilities on the scumteam but spineshark was really limited in who he could block obviously so i thought it'd be fine. although spineshark's rolecopy was probably the best "extra" scum ability, i thought they were all pretty dang useful and i was excited to see the scumteam's thought processes on who would be performing kills - they had to consider which extra abilities they wanted at what time, and whether particular scum guys were likely to get tracked or whatever.

so yeah. i put a load of effort into this setup. i'm proud of what i came up with despite it getting aborted in sad fashion. oh well, what can you do.

anyway, why did i remove the 3rd parties? i think only krys and shane will appreciate this but i decided to have eccoraven from SA look over my setup. this was when i still had the SK and the survivor in the game, so it was 3 scum / 2 third party / 10 town, or only 66% town. i pasted him the setup and he immediately trashed it as hard as he could saying it was "fucking atrocious" and that "lylo could potentially be day 2 due to 5 scum vs. 10 town" (untrue but hey ecco is a maf vet and this was my first setup and i knew i was being overambitious with my ideas) and he basically told me to work on fundamentals and that my setup was a complete utter clusterfuck. he also said that SKs almost never work in a setup and that i should just take mine out ASAP (after i had notified him i took out the survivor, lol) i guess i'll fetch the logs from my convo with him later but he completely trashed my setup and i pretty shaken by that, which delayed role PMs for about a week or so lol. i decided to remove both 3rd party roles after that since i DID think the survivor was stretching things somewhat and the SK didn't have a realistic chance of winning with both 1. a scum dayvig in the setup, and 2. only an alternating-night kill. i kinda regret following his advice as much as i did though because he was kind of an asshole to me and he seems like a bit of a buffoon in general anyway.

i think there's more goodies about the setup i'm forgetting, i'll post them later if i remember. i'll post night actions and funny things about those later tonight probably

--------------------
So long.

I will watch it after a dream.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shane
post Dec 18 2012, 10:07 PM
Post #962

The Shadow

I'm not upset that you turned my role into town, I don't really like playing as scum/3p because I either already have all the information or just want to get someone lynched for no reason and have no actual motive to find scum. As town I can actually play mafia and have fun with it and try hard.

I was hoping there would be an analogue to epicmaf's fabricator where someone would give out fake guns and the first person would kill themselves and nobody else would use theirs so I could steal them all and rack up like 4 day kills. I'm a little sad that didn't happen!

+Quote Post
cyghfer
post Dec 18 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #963

Candy Galy

oh yeah shane i don't know if you figured this out but if you happened to steal one of spineshark's items you'd "convert" that item to what it actually advertised as doing. so your role could've been pretty useful under lucky circumstances - a no-downsides gravedig and a real dayvig are pretty cool

some more things about audity's items: the "white tea" item would've roleblocked either spineshark or mbd (special roleblock on mbd that would actually nullify his passive rolecop thing if he changed owners, nothing actually in the game could block his rolecop otherwise) if it was used on them due to being controllers with circuitboards etc. truedough bread would've made the user completely immune to krystal's children's books for the rest of the game.

also, i had aud submit the 10 items' names and then i fit abilities to them once i got his list of names.

oh yeah and responding directly to what shane about this game having way too many masons - this might be true. i think i underestimate just how formidable out of thread communication can be, because i just assume players won't give themselves away in them and they can easily burn either faction depending on the circumstances. i didn't expect mbd and spineshark to switch owners nightly though (well mbd did switch both nights, spineshark switched once) and krystal was limited to only have 2 masonbuddies. i didn't think it was too overboard but some might disagree.

--------------------
So long.

+Quote Post
BossCrab
post Dec 18 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #964

Gunshit

I liked your setup a lot cygh, I'm sad we didn't get to play more of it, because all of the abilities I saw during the game (all scum abilities + MBDs role pm + Pidgey/Spimm's claims + Krystal's info) were really cool. I agree, item games are generally fun, that's why people take to things like funsmiths on epicmaf so well.

I think my ability was really cool. Effect Copy as scum/GF is really, really rad. It's nice to be able to use that ability without worrying every night if I was going to die from the scum action. It also made it really risky to have me be the one doing the kill, since there's literally no reason for an Effect Copier to be alive after visiting a dead person, unless I had a bp vest or some shit and the odds of being able to explain that are nil.

All in all I think you would have done a really good job (funny that that guy was a douche, that seems typical) but the game just didn't play out like any of us really would have liked. I think it would have been pretty fun, shame it ended up getting messed up like it did.

As for the masons, I think it could have worked. Was weird that they started getting outed to early. I honestly just think it was bad luck that Krystal got MBD n0 and then got spineshark n2. Out of all the players in the game, she ended up owning both of them really quickly. A lot of unlucky things seemed to happen for us this game (as VgameT pointed out about spimm getting the axe d1)

+Quote Post
Pidgey
post Dec 18 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #965

The Shadow

i knew there was something wrong when bosscrab wasn't answeting my HWEHWEHWE GET THE BAD GUYS call outs.

--------------------

Don't get near me

+Quote Post
sync
post Dec 18 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #966

The Shadow

I was actually really looking forward to seeing my poison-kill go through on N3 and just really confuse everyone. It would be kind of hard to connect it to me, even if I were watched. ("Sync visited this guy two nights ago! He must have killed him!") A delay kill like that is actually quite powerful. Spineshark used his jail on vader N1 which killed my attempt to infect him however. That was sad. Although vader turned out to be town anyways, so that ended up being pretty good for town and would have really confused me at the start of D4 instead, haha.

Shame I didn't get to go untargettable.

Overall I thought the abilities were great and incredibly fitting for the common cold. 9/10 - Would play again.

+Quote Post
Lee
post Dec 18 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #967

Rising in the Sun

The setup was really fun I think. Then again, I wasn't doc in a closed setup so that's pretty exciting in comparison to last game. Now I just have to figure out why I subconsciously gravitate towards scum on this forum. For anyone who's following along, I am 0/6 on targeting town with helpful abilities.

+Quote Post
CarlSagan
post Dec 18 2012, 11:59 PM
Post #968

The Shadow

QUOTE (Lee @ Dec 19 2012, 12:52 AM) *
The setup was really fun I think. Then again, I wasn't doc in a closed setup so that's pretty exciting in comparison to last game. Now I just have to figure out why I subconsciously gravitate towards scum on this forum. For anyone who's following along, I am 0/6 on targeting town with helpful abilities.

This is actually great. Find whoever you think is most town and instead of protecting them, ##vote them. YOU ARE TOWN'S GREATEST ASSET NOW!

+Quote Post
bapple cider vin...
post Dec 19 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #969

The Village of the Lovers of Heckran

im not really bad at analyzing posts at this current point, i think, i.e. providing my perspective on the matter that people might not currently have the capacity for. usually i get hazy-brained though regarding once i get halfway thru reading anyone's role pm, lol. it's a matter of math and well, being present enough in the game to be active with all this in the first place.

and pidgey was in this game. thats not very high standards for a special cyor game.

...nah i really think he has potential and points, but gets easily flustered L O L
(which kind of negatives positives)

im a free bird

QUOTE (spimmmm @ Dec 18 2012, 09:13 PM) *
bear

--------------------

hualep ola whef

+Quote Post
cyghfer
post Dec 19 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #970

Candy Galy

night actions / item tracking

croni didn't submit anything n0 lol. apparently she didn't know there were any actions available on n0 and she slept through all my messages asking her if she was going to investigate anyone.

bosscrab cloned carl n1, who croni cop'd, so that would've been good for scum if the game had gone on.

spineshark jailed vader n1 and protected him from sync's poison lol

there were only 6 actions used on n0 so bigc's guess was way off for that one

the 2 stealth actions used n1 were bigc's gamble and bosscrab's roleblock

uhh i think that's everything notable

pidgey's self-revised role pm lol:
You are Zero May Cry, an established team of characters in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 consisting of Zero, Dante, and Vergil.

People bitch and moan that this team is broken because Zero is arguably the best Point character and Vergil is the best anchor of the game. Incoming mix-ups that involve at least 3 guesses? Check. 1 hit touchs of death? Check. A ridiculous assist? It's there too.

Thing is, your team is yet to win a mayor... So you have to prove the world that you are the best. Sure, this isn't your most common grund of battle, but that doesnt mean you can stop be broken, if you do the right choices. There might not be X-Factor in this game, but you guys have other tricks.

Give me some cover! (3 guys, 3 powers): Zero can kill off of stray hits in a meter efficient manner with the lightning loop meaning you can generate 1 hit kills while still building meter and Vergil with meter at the end of a game with XF3 is a monster. The reason Dante is the preferred assist is that jam session works so well with both Vergil and Zero both for combos and mixups.

* Target Redirect- Spiral Swords: Vergil puts a bunch of swords around himself and starts teleportin and rapidslashing like a mother fucker. Yeah, its impossble to block. This will also confuse any player you choose. You may target a player and redirect that player’s night actions, if they have any, to another player other than the player himself.

* Medium- Sougenmu: Zero's hyper creates a phantom copy of himself for a short amount of time. You can use this to your advantage, and target a dead player and have a 30-minute conversation with said player on AIM during the following game day. Specific details will follow upon use.

* Stealth Actions Detector- Devil Trigger: Dante was kind of hit with the banhammer after Vanilla MvC3, but that doesn't mean he can't stop flying around in devil trigger mode. Upon using this ability, Dante will fly around and see what no one can. You will be told exactly how many stealth actions were used that night total by all players in the game. A stealth action is the use of an ability that is untrackable/unwatchable/etc. and undetectable by rolecops.

All of the above abilities can only be used once, and only one ability can be used per night.

You are town-aligned and win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

--------------------
So long.

+Quote Post
Schala
post Dec 31 2012, 09:05 PM
Post #971

excessively entitled

QUOTE (cyghfer @ Dec 18 2012, 08:59 PM) *
i kinda regret following his advice as much as i did though because he was kind of an asshole to me and he seems like a bit of a buffoon in general anyway.

lol just read this and yea ecco is a bigh motherfuckers

--------------------

+Quote Post

49 Pages V  « < 47 48 49
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2019 - 10:02 PM