Reply to this topicStart new topic
> IIDX player interview #1: otaku1313 AKA over there, gabe
Trip Machina
post Nov 29 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #41

The Shadow

QUOTE (Krazy @ Nov 28 2010, 05:43 PM) *
I'd say the reasons for this could be:
1) No more CS games. Although, even back in 2008-2009 when there were still new CS games, it seemed like with each successive one, the game became less and less popular, and people 'started playing again' for less and less time when each game came out.

I've been playing for 5 years and have been cycling through my styles almost everyday even STILL! It could be because I own all beatmania/beatmaniaIIDX games except for BEST HITS and THE SOUND OF TOKYO.

2) IIDX CS uses ancient technology. Not many people have CRT TVs anymore, just laggy LCDs/LEDs/plasmas that make playing IIDX impossible. I know many people who have quit just because they don't a TV that works for IIDX, even though they'd like to still play once in a while. Even if a new person wanted to start playing IIDX CS, they most likely wouldn't have the proper TV to do so.

Hmm, interesting analogy, as it's pretty true. I got two friends into IIDX a while back; here's the run-down:
Friend #1: Got him into IIDX by showing him at my place...he really liked it, so he bought beatmania (US bundle) first, and later bought a JP PS2, 10th style, IIDX RED, HAPPY SKY, and DistorteD (each at around a month's interval). He played and played; he eventually got good enough to clear No.13 [7K] and Votum Stellarum [A] along with a bunch of 9 star songs. He'd even call me telling me his new accomplishments, lol. Anyways, as time passed, he eventually bought him an XBOX360 along with a new 40" LCD HDTV....he didn't know about the lag, so I told him, which kinda surprised him. As more time passed, he tells me that he hasn't been playing for months on end. Apparently, he got rid of his CRT. The LCD he had lagged like hell; he even said it discouraged him from playing it.........so, just recently, I gave him my old 19" CRT so he could play again. Now he's actually playing, but nowhere near as much as in the beginning.

Friend #2: Got him into IIDX by showing him at my place...he was immediately like "dude, I want this game so bad!", so I let him borrow my beatmania (US bundle) and later helped him get a JP PS2 + the style he wanted (HAPPY SKY). He had a CRT at the time, but his money was low, so it wasn't until months later after he moved into another house AND bought a big 42" LCD HDTV that he finally received both system and game (borrowed my US BM controller). He played it on his LCD HDTV (which SURPRISINGLY didn't have lag issues...even with PS1 BM; just had to worry about framedrops and low res) for some weeks, but he slacked and eventually started playing his XBOX360 more. It has been over a year....he can pass *some* 5 star songs. I recently told him about the SIRIUS CS issue, and he paid very little attention to it.

3) No good arcades, except in a select few locations, and even in those places the machine quality is often 'questionable'. I would say arcades are fundamental to establishing the social aspect of the game, which is what has kept a lot of people playing this long (myself included). For example, it's probably not unrelated that TGA in Massachusetts had bowlmanifest in 2006-2007, but then closed at the end of 2008, and ever since the community in this area has been completely stagnating.

Arcades don't wanna spend money on an expensive machine that nobody will play. You Make Me....wanna strangle...!!

4) People grow up and move on (most people, some of us will probably be around forever...). This is fine, but there haven't been enough new players. This is probably a result of (1) and (2) and (3) above, but also could be due to other American music games being created. "Why would I want to pay a dollar to play 3 songs this hard drumming game with gay Jappo music that's obviously a rip-off of Rock Band when I can just play Rock Band? Why are the songs so short? Why am I getting Goods even though I'm hitting the notes?"

Yeah. If you couldn't tell I've been thinking about all this for a while now. I'd like to hope that things can turn around at some point but realistically that won't happen unless a lot of things change.

deep shit

I agree with you; most people grow up and move on. You gotta be reeeeeeeeeeaaaaalllllllllllllllllllyyyy hardcore to stay...shit, I go out of my way just to get the game out! I bring my 72lbs. 26" widescreen CRT to my local arcade, surround sound system, PS2 + IIDX games; pay them $50 for me setup the game for about 6~8 hours JUST to get it exposed to people out there; I've done this several times even though I don't get as many interested people as I hope for, I still get a few each time. I remember setting it up and having people come surround me and watch in awe; they were like "what game is that?" or "what system is this for?"...I even got a few serious spectators who really wanted to get into beatmaniaIIDX. There was one time, this guy was just watching as I played through over 20 songs...just immersed into the game, lol. It was delightful having them come up to me; I'd give them a very quick run-down (I've rehearsed and explained it less than 3 mins) of the history of beatmania. I even have done some IIDX incognito.....took my PS2 to Best Buy, Conn's, and even Wal-Mart and setup IIDX; but this was for LCD/Plasma TV testing purposes that I literally had to beg them for. I brought new friends to my place and showed them the game, and most of them really liked it, but didn't really put in the effort to actually seriously try to import it and such even though they said they would. A few days ago, I got off the phone with a small game store (Play 'N Trade) manager who seemed to agree with my offer to pay him to set up beatmaniaIIDX in the store, so there is my next goal for IIDX exposure to the American public.

Here's a few of my exposure vids:

IIDX Tournament Ben (contestant) VS Chaddly (the infamous Black People at Night THE SAFARI guy)

Two of my friends playing EMPRESS

EMPRESS being played

Random interested spectator playing RED ZONE [Beginner]

DistorteD being played

DJ TROOPERS being played

--------------------
All you DDRist's, try Trip Machine with the bass turned up!!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sanasanasan
post Nov 29 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #42

DJ Battle This User

Great thread, and a good read.

I've noticed that whenever I play IIDX at events, people will watch for a bit but hardly anyone will actually ask to try a song. Maybe it's just too intimidating?

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post Nov 29 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #43

they keep referring to me as that

QUOTE (DanAdamKOF @ Nov 29 2010, 02:41 AM) *
Oh haha damn, I saw that thread but I didn't know it did him in.

Joke's on us, sars is gonna do his damndest to make sure vgta NEVER post pics of his Go Beyond/Blue Mirage AAAs!!!!!

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

Others opt to refer to it by its ORIGINAL NAME

+Quote Post
Trip Machina
post Nov 29 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #44

The Shadow

QUOTE (Sanasanasan @ Nov 29 2010, 12:08 PM) *
Great thread, and a good read.

I've noticed that whenever I play IIDX at events, people will watch for a bit but hardly anyone will actually ask to try a song. Maybe it's just too intimidating?

Hahahaha, absolutely right! I've noticed that in my endeavors; they watch, but they seem intimidated to play. They're probably saying to themselves, "Hmm, this looks crazier than Guitar Hero". There was this one kid who was watching intently and would decline each time I'd ask him to give it a try, until that is, I asked him one last time...after I let him go at it on BEGINNER of course, he wouldn't move from the spot; I swear he played like 10 songs in a row! xD

One thing I have yet to see is a DJ HERO spectator come to my IIDX 'exposure' events. They'd probably think they could ace the game just because they passed Noisa "Groundhog" (EXPERT), but they may be in for a surprise when they play stuff like Tangerine Stream [7K], haha!

--------------------
All you DDRist's, try Trip Machine with the bass turned up!!

+Quote Post
Krelian
post Nov 29 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #45

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

Very nice topic, with interesting information.

And i agree on the competition factor; it sucks...
And you can't really judge who your rival really is with the system of dj battle...
So it's hard to get motivated to get better or to keep playing.

Setting personal goals is one thing to keep you playing though, but once it's done what's left?

--------------------

I have now Hard Cleared Himiko with my own hands!

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Nov 29 2010, 07:55 PM
Post #46

I♥prat fall

QUOTE (Krelian @ Nov 29 2010, 01:34 PM) *
Setting personal goals is one thing to keep you playing though, but once it's done...

haha :<

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
Krazy
post Nov 29 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #47

Flesvelka

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Toph @ Nov 29 2010, 12:52 AM) *
tbqh this is hardly relevant. For example, SSBM (my main game now) is really big in america still (like as big as it's ever been, pretty much) and so is Brawl for that matter, and as any fighting game player who isn't playing SF4 or BB etc. (aka a new generation fighter) will tell you, CRT is essential...

Yeah but SSBM is no where near as niche as IIDX (everyone knows at least a few characters, and the game gets publicity) and there are a lot of casual players that don't care about CRT vs. LCD; with IIDX it's much more obvious that LCD's generally don't work.

QUOTE (Toph @ Nov 29 2010, 12:52 AM) *
The main reasons are the lack of new games, both console and arcade (because there are no arcades in America). IIDX just isn't a "worthwhile" game to get into anymore. And frankly the competition in America sucks LOL. I'm only ever motivated in Hawaii because of how awesome Derek is, and sometimes I get inspired in Seattle when I see CHKN do things like 96% Golden Cross [a] but that's about it.

I guess I can see where you are coming from wrt competition. Before I used to care a lot about getting better and better but nowadays I just play because it's fun to press buttons and it's fun to hang around with other people who play also. I don't really care about getting better anymore except maybe doubles because that's tons of fun. I guess people could be very different in this regard, depending on what you want to get out of the game.

QUOTE (Trip Machina @ Nov 29 2010, 02:17 PM) *
Hahahaha, absolutely right! I've noticed that in my endeavors; they watch, but they seem intimidated to play. They're probably saying to themselves, "Hmm, this looks crazier than Guitar Hero". There was this one kid who was watching intently and would decline each time I'd ask him to give it a try, until that is, I asked him one last time...after I let him go at it on BEGINNER of course, he wouldn't move from the spot; I swear he played like 10 songs in a row! xD

This, totally. I remember talking to other people at various times about this and it's pretty much true. For most people, if they only see people hard clear 12's and AAA'ing 11's they will think the game is impossible and they will never get that good, so they won't want to play.
Also I know many many times people have asked me to only play 1 song or something on Beginner and they end up playing like 10, even if it's the same couple of songs over and over trying to clear them.

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Nov 29 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #48

The Shadow

Yeah its a shame that if you're good at IIDX and you play in public, all you will do is intimidate people from wanting to try playing the game.

Anyway, I'm going to be posting up the next interview tonight.

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Nov 29 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #49

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

The most fun I had with IIDX was at Bowlmanifest, and not even in the arcade, but in the hotel room. I guess it's a social game to me!

+Quote Post
dj FU
post Nov 29 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #50

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

I'm playing on a LCD since a year and a half now and you all seem to agree that CRT is much better. You're not saying I could get better by playing on a CRT from the start, but I will always feel lags when switching to CRT, right ?

As for the interview, that was interesting even if I didn't learn a lot. I'm just a bit surprised every good japanese players would play BMSes. I don't think it's anyway near mei or mendes. It's just shitload of chords...

This post has been edited by dj FU: Nov 30 2010, 12:00 AM

+Quote Post
Fungi
post Nov 30 2010, 12:07 AM
Post #51

Candy Galy

DJ Battle This User

Depends on the overall size, but between official LCD and CRT, I'll take either.
CRT is good for seeing more of the chart (closer to CS), LCD is really crisp and big (it's not inferior, as I've gotten some of my best scores and clears on LCDs), and I don't notice any lag. Of course I am more of a "rhythm" player than a "sight" player.

+Quote Post
Gorrum
post Nov 30 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #52

Rising in the Sun

QUOTE (Mazrim @ Nov 29 2010, 07:47 PM) *
The most fun I had with IIDX was at Bowlmanifest, and not even in the arcade, but in the hotel room. I guess it's a social game to me!

Pretty much this. Most fun was during the only tourney on the only IIDX machine in the state, which is now gone...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
batman
post Dec 1 2010, 03:29 AM
Post #53

Dazzlin' Darlin

This was a great read, thanks, and I too look forward to the others.

Hey otaku1313, maybe you could help me find a few things through those people if that would be okay. The language barrier is for me too great to get past, no matter how i try with autotranslation or whatever. I might PM you later on or something, and you can tell me.

This post has been edited by batman: Dec 1 2010, 03:32 AM

+Quote Post
over there
post Dec 1 2010, 04:43 AM
Post #54

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I haven't met with the players in two weeks or so but I'll do my best to find whatever you need. I talk to them fairly often though so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Also about bms files, I'm gonna start on them seriously once my controller gets shipped here in a few weeks, since I have no TV or console to use and AC has emptied my bank account quickly haha.

+Quote Post
sync
post Feb 8 2013, 10:27 AM
Post #55

The Shadow

Accidentally stumbled across this topic while searching for something completely irrelevant. Glad I did though, because this was an interesting and informative read. Showing appreciation.

Reading stuff like this and loluralimey's blog makes me want to get really good at this game.

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Feb 14 2013, 08:33 PM
Post #56

The Shadow

yeah I was planning more of these and then real life happened

one of these days I might do more

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2018 - 08:20 AM