IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PS2 problem, :(
TRANOID
post Nov 21 2009, 05:49 AM
Post #1

Dazzlin' Darlin

My ps2 wont load any games at all now, it's a modded fat ps2 that's about 8 or 9 years old now (got it at launch).

Here's what happens:
-when i try and boot up the ps2 with a game in the tray, instead of loading the game it skips straight to the Browser/System Configuration screen.
-Pressing reset does nothing to help the game load as well. Also ejecting the tray and reinserting it does nothing also, as sometimes in the past i've found it worked for me to load games.
-When i enter the browser screen, the game disc doesn't show up (before it did) and all i see is the memory card. The memory card works ok, i'm able to navigate that without any fuss.
-Upon loading a game in the browser screen, all i get is the "Reading Disc..." at the bottom, which flashes for a few seconds and then disappears and then nothing happens. No disc/game disc icon appears.

I'm not sure if it's related, but i think some motor or part of the ps2 is not working? Because usually there is a whirrring sound that you can hear like when the game is loading, but now all i can hear now is the fan.

So, any suggestions as to what sort of problem it is? Any possible solutions as well? I really want to play empress and PB and don't want to have to buy a new jap ps2 or pal ps2 and mod it just to play empress and PB sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Nov 21 2009, 05:52 AM
Post #2

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Something similar happened to my fat PS2 a few years ago, for a while it started taking forever before games would boot and then it mostly stopped working at all. I ended up just buying a new slim one and getting it modded.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fake-ass John Tr...
post Nov 21 2009, 06:35 AM
Post #3

betty spaghetti

DJ Battle This User

Yeah it sounds like your motor is fucked. Not surprising though it IS around 9 years old to be fair so you've been luckier than others. You're best off just getting a new PS2.

+Quote Post
Tropical Pallete
post Nov 21 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #4

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

I had a fat PS2 for six years with many of the same problems you did before I finally threw it away., TRANOID. First it wouldn't play DVD's, then it just stopped running some games altogether (I know it wouldn't read 9th style). All too often I'd wait as long as two minutes for a game to load, only to be with Mr. "Disc Read Error" when I thought it would have loaded. The problem only got worse when Disc Swap Magic was involved. So my brother and I ended up getting a slim PS2 for Christmas and modding it, and we've had no problems since.

--------------------
QUOTE (rmz @ Mar 19 2010, 02:30 PM) *
2 steps to naming a yoshitaka song

1. Turn on capslock
2. Roll face across keyboard

+Quote Post
TRANOID
post Nov 21 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #5

Dazzlin' Darlin

Sigh.....after much googling it looks like i'll probably have to get a new one and mod it sad.gif. Which brings me to another question: How's the reliability on modded slim ps2s?

+Quote Post
MdX MaxX
post Nov 21 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #6

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

What do you mean by modded?

If you mean Softmodding and using Swap Magic, it's easy. All you have to do is take a tiny piece of paper towel, a piece of a straw, and block two lid sensors. It takes two minutes and Swap Magic works beautifully with it. It's the easiest way to play JP games on a US PS2.

Now, if you're talking about hardmodding, I have no clue.

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Nov 21 2009, 09:01 PM
Post #7

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

That's not really what softmod means. And we have no need for your crude disc swapping methods in Australia emot-colbert.gif

My slim ps2 is fine as long as I hold down select every time it boots (dodgy chip). If you get your done then try to find some place that won't scam you by charging like $100 to install a shitty knockoff like the Modbo. Try and get a decent chip if you can.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TRANOID
post Nov 22 2009, 03:21 AM
Post #8

Dazzlin' Darlin

Woah, I had no idea modbo was crap. Do you have any other problems besides the select thing?

Also if u do know more about chips, what is a decent chip?

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Nov 22 2009, 03:47 AM
Post #9

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I think it's called Matrix Infinity or something, the chip Modbo is a knockoff of? Modbo (or mine at least) is basically that but you can't access the config menu and everything is set to default values, so you can't configure games to output in PAL/NTSC specifically (not an issue unless you're in Japan trying to find a TV that actually handles PAL). The main problem with my chip is that it doesn't correctly change region to each new game that you put in, it'll just kind of stick on one region for a while and other games will get the "please insert a PS2 disc" screen. Holding down select bypasses the initial logos and seemingly also bypasses this check since all games work when I do it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Naoki Maeda fan
post Nov 22 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #10

Evergreen

DJ Battle This User

Matrix Infinity is, as far as I know, the best modchip for the PS2. It's also the most expensive one but I'd say it's worth it, I've had no problems with mine and it boots everything instantly. Except for PS1 games where you need to hold the power button down in order for them to boot I guess.

I don't know how difficult the installation is as I paid to have mine soldered but from what I heard it's not a cakewalk unless you really can solder.

However I don't think the latest Slim model (V18) is compatible with an MI chip so check the model out before you buy if you plan to get one.

--------------------
Hello? Huh? Yeah, DJ Plague. Huh? Ahh M-Project! Ahh... How's it going over there? Man it's the middle of the night over here. What's going on? Yeah? Yeah, yeah. I'm listening to your new album right now. Yeah, next song ALL I NEED YOUR LOVE. Yeah man, we're good. All right I'll talk to you soon. Yeeeah. Sayonara!

+Quote Post
TRANOID
post Nov 22 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #11

Dazzlin' Darlin

Yeah, the problem is that i got no idea how to solder as well, so I have to get someone to install it for me. This also means usually that they supply and install the modchips at once (for adelaide anyway), so you don't really have alot of control over which modchip they will install.

Anyway I know for sure one place in adelaide uses Modbo 4.0 chips, which when reading about it doesn't seem too bad, I've seen all positive reviews so far...except for xythar. It seems to be compatible with V18 PS2s which i have one of already, so I got a feeling it won't be too bad if i use it...but I'll take a look around and see what other places have to offer.

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Nov 22 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #12

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I dunno my chip works in that it lets me play imports but at the time I also wanted something that would let me select PAL/NTSC and it doesn't do that. Holding select is also kind of a pain but whatever.

If I could've done it again I would have held out for the Matrix Infinity just so that I wouldn't then have to hunt and eventually pay 60,000 yen in Japan for the one TV in the country that actually supported PAL video.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TRANOID
post Nov 22 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #13

Dazzlin' Darlin

Ohhh i see, then i should be fine because i don't think i'll ever been in your situation hahaha. As long as it plays other region games then thats good enough for me i spose. Anyway seems like all the places in adelaide only use modbo 4.0, so i guess i'm stuck with that =\.

+Quote Post
over there
post Mar 29 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #14

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Dust off your lasers for 10th Style!

+Quote Post