IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Score importing broken, I guess that's what I get for being late.
Dipstick
post Jul 10 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #1

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

Having been out of playing IIDX for a bit (only found out when I got an email from the forum software itself), I tried to recreate my VJ Army account here and import all of my data. Only to be hit with the error message "Could not import because the VJ Army server could not be contacted. Please try again later. Error: Couldn't resolve host 'vjarmy.com'"

I was able to verify my login information on vjarmy.com (used it to download my score data), which also has the side effect of confirming that the vjarmy.com server is still up. Am I missing something blindingly stupid?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Jul 10 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #2

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

As it says, try it again later. It's an intermittent fault that happens for some reason I don't really understand.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shimono
post Jul 10 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #3

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE (Dipstick @ Jul 10 2009, 01:26 PM) *
Having been out of playing IIDX for a bit (only found out when I got an email from the forum software itself), I tried to recreate my VJ Army account here and import all of my data. Only to be hit with the error message "Could not import because the VJ Army server could not be contacted. Please try again later. Error: Couldn't resolve host 'vjarmy.com'"

I was able to verify my login information on vjarmy.com (used it to download my score data), which also has the side effect of confirming that the vjarmy.com server is still up. Am I missing something blindingly stupid?

I just found out about the transition to S3 in the same way (someone added me as a friend - why, when I haven't posted in a year, I'm not sure), and I'm having the same problem. At first I thought it was the transient DNS problem I have in general (It's Comcastic!), but no, vjarmy.com resolves just fine when I go to it directly. I'm not sure it matters in my case - Rock Band owns my soul now, and even if I do come back to IIDX my skills will have atrophied so much that importing my old scores would be misleading anyway - but...just confirming the problem report, I guess :-\

And Xythar: I've tried it already three times today (not counting the couple of times it told me it hadn't yet been a half-hour since my last attempt). If it'll help you debug, I can try it again while you're watching any relevant log files/server processes.

--------------------
QUOTE(dog$ @ Sep 13 2005, 05:59 PM)
Space Fight is quite simply the worst 108 seconds of audio ever produced by humanity. There are not enough words in the English language for me to convey just how offensive Space Fight is; it's the worst IIDX song, worst Bemani song, and worst song in the entire collective of all music worldwide.

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Jul 10 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #4

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

It'll work eventually, it's just finicky. I think Jadin had to try like four times before it worked, so some people just get unlucky.

It has nothing to do with your personal internet connection since the S3 server contacts VJA directly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marlie Tang
post Jul 10 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #5

quelly~the fourth ham~

You can thank Desert Garden.

--------------------
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arrived safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skidded
in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worned out, and loudly proclaimed ‘Rofñ! What a Ride!’” - Pidgey S. Thompson

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Jul 11 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #6

I♥prat fall

QUOTE (Xythar @ Jul 10 2009, 07:00 PM) *
It'll work eventually, it's just finicky. I think Jadin had to try like four times before it worked, so some people just get unlucky.

pshh you know that was because I'm dumb with passwords

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Jul 11 2009, 01:01 AM
Post #7

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (Jadin @ Jul 11 2009, 12:38 AM) *
pshh you know that was because I'm dumb with passwords

I thought you got that error too a few times?

Oh well regardless that's the solution, nothing's changed on our end since the beginning as far as the import script goes

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shimono
post Jul 11 2009, 04:00 AM
Post #8

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE (Xythar @ Jul 10 2009, 08:00 PM) *
It has nothing to do with your personal internet connection since the S3 server contacts VJA directly.

Duh. I have no idea what I was thinking. I blame sleep deprivation.

--------------------
Space Fight is quite simply the worst 108 seconds of audio ever produced by humanity. There are not enough words in the English language for me to convey just how offensive Space Fight is; it's the worst IIDX song, worst Bemani song, and worst song in the entire collective of all music worldwide.

+Quote Post
Himiko
post Jul 12 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #9

Welcome To My Contry

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Did any of you ever get this to work? I had another report of it via email as well.

If it's not working for anyone at all right now then our host may have changed something causing the code to not work anymore. I'll have to get in touch with rura and find out if there's been any kind of configuration change that would prevent the DNS from resolving.

I definitely haven't changed anything in the code, that import script's been the same since the start.

+Quote Post
Dipstick
post Jul 13 2009, 03:58 AM
Post #10

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Himiko @ Jul 12 2009, 07:31 PM) *
Did any of you ever get this to work? I had another report of it via email as well.

Still not working, and I've been trying it for a few days now. dry.gif

+Quote Post
Shimono
post Jul 13 2009, 05:42 AM
Post #11

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE (Himiko @ Jul 12 2009, 07:31 PM) *
Did any of you ever get this to work?

Well, I stopped trying for a few days because I wasn't sure I *should* import my scores, but if it'll help troubleshoot....

I just tried again and it's still failing with spikes:

"Could not import because the VJ Army server could not be contacted. Please try again later.
Error: Couldn't resolve host 'vjarmy.com'"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Himiko
post Jul 13 2009, 06:34 AM
Post #12

Welcome To My Contry

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Okay I thought for a minute that I could work around this in the interim by putting VJA's IP address in the url instead of a hostname but then remembered that much like everyone else, VJA runs on a name-based virtual host. So that wouldn't do any good.

Unless someone knows a way to set up custom hosts (like a HOSTS file) in PHP then there isn't really anything I can do until I see rura and he doesn't seem to be around at the moment.

+Quote Post
Himiko
post Jul 14 2009, 04:41 AM
Post #13

Welcome To My Contry

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Did some testing:

print_r(dns_get_record("vjarmy.com"));
print_r(dns_get_record("google.com"));
print_r(dns_get_record("popnnavy.com"));
print_r(dns_get_record("solidstatesquad.com"));
print_r(dns_get_record("chickensnack.com"));

The only ones that didn't resolve are vjarmy.com and popnnavy.com, coincidentally both also on mosso! Unfortunately I don't know why this is actually happening.

edit: on the other hand, rackspacecloud.com and victoly.com DO resolve so I basically have no idea

+Quote Post
Shimono
post Jul 14 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #14

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE (Himiko @ Jul 14 2009, 04:41 AM) *
Did some testing:

print_r(dns_get_record("vjarmy.com"));
print_r(dns_get_record("google.com"));
print_r(dns_get_record("popnnavy.com"));
print_r(dns_get_record("solidstatesquad.com"));
print_r(dns_get_record("chickensnack.com"));

The only ones that didn't resolve are vjarmy.com and popnnavy.com, coincidentally both also on mosso! Unfortunately I don't know why this is actually happening.

edit: on the other hand, rackspacecloud.com and victoly.com DO resolve so I basically have no idea

You might be able to get some more useful output by doing e.g. "dig vjarmy.com" at the command line, if you have shell access to the server.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dipstick
post Jul 14 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #15

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

Don't know if anything changed over the last day, but I was finally able to import data.

+Quote Post
Himiko
post Jul 14 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #16

Welcome To My Contry

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (Shimono @ Jul 14 2009, 11:36 AM) *
You might be able to get some more useful output by doing e.g. "dig vjarmy.com" at the command line, if you have shell access to the server.

I don't, unfortunately.

QUOTE (Dipstick @ Jul 14 2009, 02:13 PM) *
Don't know if anything changed over the last day, but I was finally able to import data.

Yeah, it fortunately looks like it's working again. I have no idea what the issue was.

+Quote Post
Mafia Boss
post Jul 26 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #17

too busy for IIDX

I've tried twice and it's been broken both times.
It doesn't help that you can only try once and then it makes you wait for a half hour. That's really annoying and unnecessary IMO.

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Jul 26 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #18

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

What error?

The half hour thing is there because Remy didn't want people to be able to abuse the script to contact his site over and over again really quickly.

Of course, at that time I wasn't expecting DNS or whatever to just randomly break every second week, either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kurvyyn
post Jul 27 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #19

DJ Battle This User

Tried 6 or 7 times and definitely seems to be finicky as you say. Only real constructive thing I can think to add (short of noting that there are still intermittent issues here), is there any way I can manually upload my scores .xml file? If the trouble is just getting that file server to server, I was able to download mine from VJ no prob. In the meanwhile, I'm not so attached to my scores that it's a huge issue and I can keep trying later, but in the meanwhile can I put in new scores on my account? (or will they get overwritten when the import ends up going through later?)

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Jul 27 2009, 11:58 PM
Post #20

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

It's a security/trust issue more than anything else, stuff gets copied in from the XML that you wouldn't be able to manually enter on the site (e.g. date added) so the only way we can preserve that stuff is to get the XML straight from VJA. If we took user uploads for XML then all the scores would have to have their dates reset to 'today' and we would probably have to be even more careful with validation and potential abuse.

Yes you can put new scores in, the import will not overwrite scores that are already on the site for each particular song and difficulty.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 02:56 AM