> New Forums Webhost Discussion
chotto kiitena
post May 5 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #1

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Okay, so one of the more pressing things on my mind right now is what kind of host we're going to use for the new forums.

rura mentioned on IRC the other day that VJA pushed about 400GB of data last month, and that the forums were about 90% of this. I've been asked a few times why the forum would use so much bandwidth, but that's a question that I haven't really been able to answer. rura, if you're around would you be able to shed some light on that?

Other than bandwidth, my main concerns are regarding the suitability of web hosts.

For those that don't know, most cheaper web hosts are either shared hosting, where you share a server with a bunch of other people and all share the same bandwidth, CPU, etc like most Dreamhost plans, or VPS (virtual private server) hosting where you basically have your own virtualised 'server' that runs on computer with a bunch of other people's virtual servers (using VMware or such). The advantage of the latter is that you get your own share of the CPU and bandwidth to yourself (you don't have to worry about using too much or other people slowing you down like you do in a shared environment), but you still have to be allotted a certain amount of the resources - and getting more is costly. For example, on Dreamhost's VPS it's only $15 a month for a VPS with 150MB of RAM allotted to it, but for 1GB (which they recommend for a 'busy forum'), it's as much as $100 monthly.

Anyway, one service I was looking at was OVH, which offer APS (actual private servers). The obvious advantage to this is that you get what you see in terms of hardware specs, no sharing (other than for the HDD space), which essentially provided adequately specced APSes at really low prices. The disadvantage is that apparently OVH sucks sad.gif

Beyond that, I'm getting a number of offers from people for hosting, but most peoples' hosting is shared hosting and I'm not sure if shared hosting would be adequate for the forums. To me the most attractive thing about OVH's APSes is that each computer had its own 100Mbps connection, which is pretty much vital for delivering a good fast site to a number of users at once.

So basically, to anyone who knows this stuff better than me, what kind of hosting will these forums require, and where is the best place to get it? I've been doing some research into this, but I still don't really know what would and wouldn't work as far as hosting for the forums goes.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post May 5 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #2

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Looking back on what I originally offered, it's pretty obvious that my hosting is Shared, so I doubt it would be much help to you. I can always find out more info, but I'm not sure how forthcoming Brinkster would be about how many sites are on each server, and if the server is being heavily used by those other sites. I'd love to stress test it but I don't know if that's even possible to know for sure without dumping the whole thing there and seeing if it works out.

We had issues at RGCanada with server speeds and stability for a while, and the technical guy there was able to get us on a nice server to alleviate the problems. I will look into what we're using there and let you know, as it should work great for a forum of VJ Army's size (which is comparable or slightly larger to RGCanada)

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post May 5 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #3

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I've found a comparison chart:
http://www.comparevps.com/?mem_min=512&disk_min=

Just need to try and find reviews and such of these places now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darighaz
post May 5 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #4

Rising in the Sun

If its forums, its gotta be the masses of images that get dumped on here.

I dont think we'll really need much ram for that, just disk space for the forums (if we're saving old ones) + some sorta non-junk bandwith.

--------------------
watching avatar is like simultaneously being too much of and too little of a homosexual to watch actual anime

- Moogy, anime expert

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post May 5 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #5

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

The weird thing is though that most images here aren't hosted by the forums. Pretty much just avatars and attachments.

Do you think 512 MB RAM will work, or too much?

Also saw this place recommended for cheap US VPS hosting:
http://www.vpsbyte.com

They don't seem to list what bandwidth you have available though (as in the speed you get, not the total amount you can use) and that makes me wary.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darighaz
post May 5 2009, 07:52 PM
Post #6

Rising in the Sun

As i said, that was all i can figure.

Next best idea would be bots + random BS goin on none of us know about.

your avatar = 50k.

figure 20 posts a page, 1MB/page

figure 10k pageloads a day, thats 10gb mb, 30 days, 300 GB.

I guess its possible? But at the same time that feels like a stretch.

Even still, Simultaneous users drives ram, not sequential dumps to 1 person i'd think.

There shall be double post for my other thought

--------------------
watching avatar is like simultaneously being too much of and too little of a homosexual to watch actual anime

- Moogy, anime expert

+Quote Post
Darighaz
post May 5 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #7

Rising in the Sun

I think the best option, is find something cheap, thats easy to upgrade. Then we can start off bare-boning a box hardware wise (except for that we KNOW we need, like disk + unlim transfer), then upgrade as we go.

--------------------

- Moogy, anime expert

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post May 5 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #8

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I'm hearing some good things about CheapVPS. The 384 or 512 MB RAM plans would be about right (the plans have burstable RAM, so for example if the board only uses ~300 most of the time but ~500 in peak periods, to make those numbers up, it'd still work fine on the 384 plan) and the prices are pretty good. Again though they don't say what their speeds are, but the reviews I've read say they are decently fast for the price. They also offer US based hosting (as well as UK) which would mean faster speeds for the majority of you.

Anyone heard of them?

--------------------

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post May 6 2009, 08:19 AM
Post #9

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Also seeing a lot of recommendations for WiredTree, although they are considerably more expensive.

Does anyone here have experience in setting up a Linux web server from scratch, or should we go with a managed one? I know how to use Linux, but I've never set up a server.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darighaz
post May 6 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #10

Rising in the Sun

I'd go with cheap, pay by the month at first.

If something seems junk, then we can always transfer it to someone else.

--------------------

- Moogy, anime expert

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post May 6 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #11

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

How much trouble is that though?

It shouldn't matter in any case - I spent a few hours last night reading web hosting forums and most people seem to be happy with CheapVPS provided they can handle the administration themselves. It's very much a DIY web host, but at least that means I'll learn something tongue.gif

Anyone else have anything to add? It's feeling kind of dead in here btns.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Apollo2X
post May 6 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #12

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

I'd like to give some input here, but I barely started learning about servers and the likes. Networking administration is my upcoming major, so I'll be looking closely. If I find something interesting to add, I'll holler.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darighaz
post May 6 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #13

Rising in the Sun

i know fuckall about linux admining. Windows server i'm slightly better at, but i've never been too much a linux person ._>

--------------------

- Moogy, anime expert

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post May 6 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #14

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Alright, we'll probably go with CheapVPS then and I'll figure out how to administrate it. My roommate knows a little more than me and there are some good tutorials otherwise.

Just need to hear from Remy/rura how much RAM the current forums need so I know which plan I need to get.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darighaz
post May 9 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #15

Rising in the Sun

i'd say 300-500 should be OK really.

--------------------

- Moogy, anime expert

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2021 - 11:11 AM