3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Toph hasn't played Super Metroid
*NYAA
post May 21 2012, 05:31 AM
Post #21

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

tried nes metroid and became super bored after 15 mins in killing the same monster over and over in the same level pattern with different palette how do i do it right

--------------------
Sound/kors k

The super director L.E.D., said "I like American-based resorts", and felt that there wasn't enough black music and told me to fix that.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spineshark
post May 21 2012, 07:27 AM
Post #22

I like back.

DJ Battle This User

the fact that metroid 1 is not a fun game does not mysteriously turn zero mission into a good one

+Quote Post
BLUST OF WIND
post May 21 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #23

The Shadow

Ill join that team of people who never played super metroid...only cause nes and GB metroid satisfied me for quite a while and the snes I grew up with broke right after shaq fu was put into it....

--------------------
<Eijiken> Beggars can't exactly be choosers you know.
<a_40_oz_for_breakfast> Beggers can be niggers though
<a_40_oz_for_breakfast> :>

+Quote Post
rmz
post May 21 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #24

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

Half of the reason I like Super Metroid so much is the atmosphere. The gameplay is good too (the physics feel incredibly good and the way it makes you enjoy backtracking is something very few games do well), but the overall presentation is seriously stellar. Or, it was most especially when it came out.

The ability to sequence break and speed-run it give it long-term life among die-hards, but even as a casual player it's still a really good time.

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post May 21 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #25

they keep referring to me as that

the ability to sequence break is about the only thing zero mission has going for it

Metroid: 6/10 (rating seems a bit high BUT IT'S AN NES GAME. game is exponentially more fun with the wave beam+screw attack because then you dont have to worry about getting killed as much AND you can actually replenish your life quickly without an energy tank Pretty Sweeeeeeeeeet)
Metroid 2: 5/10, i never finished it due to boredom but it's probably not THAT bad
Super Metroid: 9.9/10 would be 10/10 except fanfare whenever you pick an item up is retarded. although i've seen romhacks that obliterate this issue entirely. super metroid romhacks are pretty dope
Metroid Fusion: 8/10 might be nostalgia goggles but i like it
Metroid Prime: 9/10 before Retro Studios "fixed" it
Zero Mission: 3/10 this game is barely playable
Echoes: 7/10
Corruption: 0/10
Other M: B^U/10
Hunters: this guy/10

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

Others opt to refer to it by its ORIGINAL NAME

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post May 21 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #26

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I would rate Metroid 2 about the same as Metroid. It suffers from issues, but the items in the game are great, the combat is quite good for a Game Boy game, there is a strong feeling of progression even though it's more linear, and of course...you fight lots of Metroids, which was great to see through the entire game. I would play Metroid 2 over Metroid any day.

I would agree with 8/10 on Fusion. People really railed on it for forcing you around, but it has aged very nicely over time and is fun to play through. I think Zero Mission should be 5/10, Corruption 5/10, Other M 4/10, and Hunters 2/10.

+Quote Post
WILD RIDE
post May 21 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #27

WILD RIDE

DJ Battle This User

8/10 for Fusion, but Zero Mission is 'barely playable'? Uh, Fusion has significantly worse physics than Zero Mission, is a straight line, and has all the unskippable (if I recall) Adam dialogue which lead to Other M existing. Also, considering how ridiculously similar all of the 2D Metroids are, I don't feel like trying to give the game a sense of 'mystery' would've really accomplished anything since we already basically knew what we were getting. Not saying I approve of the game giving you a road map, but like, whatever, it's not a deal breaker.

Super Metroid was fun once. I've never felt compelled to go back to it. The underwater part was obnoxious enough that it'd probably deter me from replaying the game if I ever considered it; though I haven't. I've played through Zero Mission at least 6 times. I find it enjoyable to play, while the other ones were basically just fun to experience, and the experience is only fun because its new, and its only new once.

--------------------
WILD RIDE

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post May 21 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #28

I think you can skip the dialogue. I actually enjoyed it though, and don't go comparing it to Other M, which was basically misogynistic character assassination. Fusion is a weird Metroid game, but it's unique and fun in its weirdness, so whatever. It actually has a contextual reason for explaining what an upgrade does when you get it (zero mission does not, especially considering it's supposed to be Metroid done Super Metroid-style, and both of those games don't tell you jack shit about items when you pick them up)

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post May 21 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #29

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (#Based death song template @ May 21 2012, 08:39 PM) *
...both of those games don't tell you jack shit about items when you pick them up)

Super Metroid tells you about most of the items that you pick up. You know, in those fanfare boxes that you hate so much.

But part of what I love about Super Metroid's design is that they don't really need to tell you about most of the items. Almost all of them are pretty obvious, if you just play around with them, or they put you into a situation where you can't (normally) continue and get out of the area you're in without experimenting with the item (see: grapple beam, power bombs, screw attack), thus letting you teach yourself how to use it. Just like how they don't have text prompts or anything other than some visual demonstration for the shinespark and walljump techniques.

--------------------
QUOTE (IIDX Clock @ Jan 31 2009, 08:21 AM) *
actually, Japan has REALLY high technology.

heck they even have predecessors to HD already

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post May 21 2012, 11:50 PM
Post #30

oh yeah huh i'm retarded. havent played that game in YEARS but the explanations given are much more succinct than zero mission's

but super metroid has a ton of shit which most people probably wouldn't discover on their own like the crystal flash and charge beam/power bomb combos. that gave it a ton of character that wouldn't have been there if upgrades are stuck in the ON position like they are in zero mission rofl

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

+Quote Post
sync
post May 22 2012, 12:50 AM
Post #31

The Shadow

QUOTE (Kirby Kirby Kirby @ May 19 2012, 09:05 PM) *
I knew I wasn't the only one

QUOTE (kevin energy @ May 20 2012, 06:22 PM) *
I also have not played super metroid

Adding myself to this list.
I pretty much know how the whole game goes having seen it played countless times, I just have yet to actually play it myself.

Actually, you know what, I should play this. Other people have been bugging me to give it a run and it shouldn't take too long to do.

QUOTE (WILD RIDE @ May 20 2012, 08:56 PM) *
It's actually fun, unlike other Metroid games.

what

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post May 22 2012, 02:25 AM
Post #32

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (sync @ May 21 2012, 10:50 PM) *
what

It's Wild Ride, you get used to it.

And yeah, Super Metroid definitely has shit-tons of character. Lots of "pointless" things for most people, but small, subtle customization aspects on top of the bit of hidden features tucked away in the game add up to a lot. If there was any game I wish I could experience again for the first time, it's Super Metroid, just to find that stuff again :<

maaaaaan gettin' all sentimental

--------------------
QUOTE (IIDX Clock @ Jan 31 2009, 08:21 AM) *
actually, Japan has REALLY high technology.

heck they even have predecessors to HD already

+Quote Post
loluralimey
post May 22 2012, 04:44 AM
Post #33

Tranoid

What the fuck is Metroid?

+Quote Post
Jadin
post May 22 2012, 04:46 AM
Post #34

I♥prat fall

limey doesn't know it cause it's not a dating sim :>

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
Kirby Kirby Kirb...
post May 22 2012, 08:18 PM
Post #35

Cosmic Cat

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Played it for about two hours. Graphics and sound were good, but I got bored of playing it. Just not the kind of game I'm into.

(Obviously, this means I am not into good games, but I am fine with that.)

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post May 22 2012, 09:29 PM
Post #36

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

i feel better now about never bothering to finish corruption

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eggman of the St...
post May 22 2012, 09:32 PM
Post #37

Lost Odyssey Defense Squad

DJ Battle This User

It's a really good game.

+Quote Post
loluralimey
post May 26 2012, 02:08 AM
Post #38

Tranoid

If theres no tits or monstergirls then I probably dont know what it is. Hell if it wasnt for Mermaid Girl ill probably wouldent be playing IIDX, but thankfully she has tits and is a monstergirl all in one.

+Quote Post
sir nabsalot
post May 30 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #39

oh now I can do this

QUOTE (Mazrim @ May 21 2012, 02:43 PM) *
I would rate Metroid 2 about the same as Metroid. It suffers from issues, but the items in the game are great, the combat is quite good for a Game Boy game, there is a strong feeling of progression even though it's more linear, and of course...you fight lots of Metroids, which was great to see through the entire game. I would play Metroid 2 over Metroid any day.

Well I'm far too late to this thread, but I couldn't help but notice y'all talkin about Metroid 2 and no one mentioning (what was at the time) the awesome and unexpected continuity between 2 and Super. That baby metroid you meet in 2 is probably the single most effective plot twist of the whole series until the Prime reboot, eons later. I played gameboy metroid once or twice all the way through when it first came out, and it was solid I guess (over 20 years ago for me so I don't remember much), but yeah the actual plot points stuck with me, especially because it paid off so well in Super.

It's like, Mother 3 was a great game I can attest, but I never played the first two so there are layers in there I'm missing out on.

--------------------
beep boop beep

+Quote Post
WILD RIDE
post May 31 2012, 09:32 PM
Post #40

WILD RIDE

DJ Battle This User

Anyone who sat through Other M has heard more than enough about the baby.

--------------------
WILD RIDE

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 01:14 AM