33 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The SSSSSF4SST, S3 SSF4 Skirmish Scheduling Thread
kay0ss
post May 3 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #41

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

I SAY JUST BETTER YOUR TIMING!! Shit was impossible for me for the first few months I had SFIV so

OR! learn how to plink/slide/drum/doubletap/whatever your buttons. Freal.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sir nabsalot
post May 3 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #42

oh now I can do this

QUOTE (kay0ss @ May 3 2010, 06:49 PM) *
I SAY JUST BETTER YOUR TIMING!! Shit was impossible for me for the first few months I had SFIV so

OR! learn how to plink/slide/drum/doubletap/whatever your buttons. Freal.

I'm feeling a little discouraged about the time investment I'm looking at based on my probably overly ambitious goals. How much time total would you say you've spent just practicing various characters' links? How long before you could consistently use them in a match? Also I'm not really sure how I'd characterize how I'm hitting the buttons haha. I am just pressing them down.

Made it through Ken's trials this evening. There's definitely some overlap with sf4 in the particular links they have you do, but the new ones were pretty decent exercises. I remember Ken's trials taking me a couple months first time around.

EDIT: wow juri is awesome

--------------------
beep boop beep

+Quote Post
BBH
post May 4 2010, 06:08 AM
Post #43

Beginning of Life (THE GROUND PULSE MIX)

DJ Battle This User

Honestly I think it's pretty stupid that links can be so difficult in a game where reversal timing is completely dumbed down. I mean, it used to be a true measure of skill when someone could hit that perfect dragon punch on wakeup and blow through the other person's meaty attack (another thing that is practically nonexistent in SSF4, although it does look like at least Ibuki has a couple good normals for this). Now all you have to do is spaz out on the joystick Official Xbox 360 Pad and mash every button imaginable. SHORYUKEN!!!

Yeah plinking/double-tapping will help out immensely, but sometimes you're just not going to hit those links, especially in an online environment where the input delay is completely inconsistent. Meanwhile the other player can just mash out his dragon punches/SPD's all fucking day without any regards to timing. So then you have to play around this and just assume that every person online that's playing a character with a mashable reversal is a drooling retard, and have to start playing defensive and not going for the links, which can be quite rewarding/fun to do otherwise.

Yes I know they want to make the game "more accessible" or whatever the fuck for new players, but they need to find a better balance with these things. This was one of my biggest complaints with SF4 and it pains me that SSF4 is identical in this regard. I don't like seeing people conditioned into thinking that mashing for your life when the opponent starts hitting you is a valid way to play.

--------------------
BBH's Waste of Bandwidth - shitty reviews of obscure arcade games

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post May 4 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #44

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Mashing is okay because it means we see more hilarious youtube videos showing this. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post May 4 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #45

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (BBH @ May 4 2010, 04:08 AM) *
Yes I know they want to make the game "more accessible" or whatever the fuck for new players, but they need to find a better balance with these things. This was one of my biggest complaints with SF4 and it pains me that SSF4 is identical in this regard. I don't like seeing people conditioned into thinking that mashing for your life when the opponent starts hitting you is a valid way to play.

It's why I call SF4 the WoW or Halo of fighting games. It dumbs down the genre, focuses on some of the wrong aspects of the genre, and rewards bad habits, but it gained popularity with the general masses for being "accessible" and so we're stuck with it and everyone tries to copy it in order to be the next big thing

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post May 4 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #46

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ May 4 2010, 12:02 PM) *
It's why I call SF4 the WoW or Halo of fighting games. It dumbs down the genre, focuses on some of the wrong aspects of the genre, and rewards bad habits, but it gained popularity with the general masses for being "accessible" and so we're stuck with it and everyone tries to copy it in order to be the next big thing

This sounds more like Soul Calibur to me, but what do I know anyway~

--------------------
QUOTE (IIDX Clock @ Jan 31 2009, 08:21 AM) *
actually, Japan has REALLY high technology.

heck they even have predecessors to HD already

+Quote Post
briankun
post May 4 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #47

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (grayfox9996 @ May 4 2010, 03:03 PM) *
This sounds more like Soul Calibur to me, but what do I know anyway~

Soul Calibur takes tons of skill to play.

1) Play spear/sword FEMALE
2) Do stupid easy juggle combo (SO HARD!)
3) ???
4) RING OUT

:3

--------------------

+Quote Post
spineshark
post May 4 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #48

I like back.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (BBH @ May 4 2010, 05:08 AM) *
Honestly I think it's pretty stupid that links can be so difficult in a game where reversal timing is completely dumbed down.

The only way I could agree with this more is if I seriously played any fighting game before SF4. I HATE how every time I get put up against some Ken online I get DP'd back out of anything I try to do (except punishing whiffed DPs)

+Quote Post
Eggman of the St...
post May 4 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #49

Lost Odyssey Defense Squad

DJ Battle This User

That was actually why I won so much using Cammy. I could stand at point blank range knowing most people would throw out a reversal DP and just hit them out of it with a Cannon Spike. I don't know if that beats Ken's DP anymore though. It still probably beats every other DP.

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post May 4 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #50

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ May 4 2010, 07:37 PM) *
That was actually why I won so much using Cammy. I could stand at point blank range knowing most people would throw out a reversal DP and just hit them out of it with a Cannon Spike. I don't know if that beats Ken's DP anymore though. It still probably beats every other DP.

Don't think it beats out the EX, but the rumors of the HP DP being super godly are terribly untrue.

I have actually only fought two Kens so far in ranked. So many Guiles, Ryus, and Juris hahaha. I'm glad I'm running into a nice mix of the new characters, though. It's very nice!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eggman of the St...
post May 4 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #51

Lost Odyssey Defense Squad

DJ Battle This User

Even better then. Cammy can always abuse that godly backdash to pull DP's and then hit them out of it since Cannon Spike does better damage in air-to-air.

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post May 4 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #52

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

The character I've seen the most in Ranked matches so far is Dudley. Lots of the new guys, but overall a nice spread of characters. I even saw a Seth!

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."

+Quote Post
BG_Hojo72
post May 5 2010, 07:51 AM
Post #53

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Rowen of the Strata @ May 4 2010, 07:37 PM) *
I could stand at point blank range knowing most people would throw out a reversal DP

nothing like the old "stand over downed Ken's for the sole purpose of blocking and punishing the incoming DP on wake-up" (although, as stated, some characters don't even need to bother with any of that blocking nonsense).

and yeah, agreeing with the sentiment here. i don't even bother trying to link shit online. "oh man, missed a link. my punishment is a mashed out DP on the corner to corner shortcut input. thanks for making shotos so skill, Capcom."

--------------------

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post May 5 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #54

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

Hey, so, SF4 link hatin' aside (seriously, fuck 'em, trials are getting rather frustrating, especially when I have so few left), we going to plan another S3 endless lobby? Or a tournament/team battle thing/anything? Depending on plans this weekend I'll probably be up for Saturday, if other people will be again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kay0ss
post May 5 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #55

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

What time are you guys doing it on Saturday if there IS one? I won't be home till late 8-9PM PST :<

I CAN DO SUNDAY FOR SURE! :/

--------------------

+Quote Post
sir nabsalot
post May 6 2010, 09:05 AM
Post #56

oh now I can do this

QUOTE (kay0ss @ May 5 2010, 10:08 PM) *
I CAN DO SUNDAY FOR SURE! :>

--------------------
beep boop beep

+Quote Post
spineshark
post May 8 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #57

I like back.

DJ Battle This User

Okay, I think I'm free tomorrow at least. Course, that means if you want good opponents, it's worth holding out laugh.gif

I think I'm settling on Makoto though. Tried all of the Super characters, and Rose/Sakura/Gen (who were my favorites in the original, mediocrity be damned), and I still find her the most satisfying...well, when I win. Which is fairly often. I can't complain.

+Quote Post
kay0ss
post May 8 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #58

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

TODAY IS SATURDAY AND AM WONDERING WHO IS FREE TO SESSION TODAY? MY PRACTICE ENDED EARLY TODAY SO I CAN PLAY HOWEVER LONG Y'ALL NIGGAS WANT <3

--------------------

+Quote Post
spineshark
post May 8 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #59

I like back.

DJ Battle This User

I can be on in like 10 minutes.

Which is now now.

+Quote Post
kay0ss
post May 8 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #60

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

I don't think you're in the VJA Contact Directory thread, spineshark. Post your Gamertag pleeease

CMON Y'ALL YOU KNOW YOU WANNA PLAY sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

33 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2018 - 02:54 PM