Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for another "newbie", because everyone else is better than me
HikaTen
post Jan 17 2005, 03:43 AM
Post #1

Dazzlin' Darlin

...yeah. I'm just starting to make my way into the 22-25 range (have cleared all but three of the 9-Line songs I have unlocked), and am looking for someone else around that level and with access to Pop'n 10 to challenge, as that gives me something to work on in the short-term while I'm struggling to break into the mid-20s and don't have the fundage to import any more games. Any takers?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nomi
post Jan 17 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #2

Rising in the Sun

We have a fair amount of close songs, but I'm winning by a considerable margin overall. I'd be glad to duke it out for the 20-some range songs we're closer on, though.

+Quote Post
HikaTen
post Jan 18 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #3

Dazzlin' Darlin

^^ cool, that gives me something a little more directed than "get rid of all the 60-70k scores" and "fill in every score I can pull off" to work on... stupid 5-line scores I have to work through >_<

Edit: After today's run, I'm at least closer than having 7 wins...

Battle Decision
Song Battle Comparison
NOMI Victories: 46
HNT Victories: 32
NOMI WINS!

By Difficulty Breakdown
5-Line - 12 over 7
9-Line - 34 over 18
Hyper - 5 over 2
Ex - Draw, 0 wins each.

Score Comparison
NOMI Total: 7000379
HNT Total: 6859362
NOMI WINS!
Difference = 141017

This post has been edited by HikaTen: Jan 19 2005, 02:30 AM

+Quote Post
skullie
post Jan 19 2005, 04:50 AM
Post #4

Evergreen

I think I'm around your range. I just started playing Pop'n recently, and the highest song I beat was 009 hyper after a few practice runs.. but other than that I can't really clear much above 25. Other than that my main problem is that I don't really have enough room in my computer room here to allow this bigass controller to fit in it, so it's hard for me to put up scores as I go. But I'll try to bring my PS2 in here later today and throw up some of my records screen scores.

Edit: Okay, nevermind. I brought the controller in here and I'm doing 31s pretty reliably. Maybe it's my cushy chair.

+Quote Post
biabia
post Jan 19 2005, 05:29 AM
Post #5

You're doin better than me. I been playing about 2 days now total and I have only cleared 6 songs. Any tips for someone newer than you who seems to be picking it up kind of slow? (other than practice, practice, practice!)

--------------------
user posted image I dont need your love to disconnect.

+Quote Post
Nomi
post Jan 19 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #6

Rising in the Sun

If you're having trouble getting familiar with the key placement, play a little bit of 5-line. I did that to orient myself with the buttons, their sensitivity and the general feel. Once you nail that down, start to work on 9-line. I was a IIDX crossover, so SOME of that skill carried over for me. My biggest problem is still remembering that the center button is on the BOTTOM, because the IIDXer in me tries to hit top when I think center.

The only real fight in the beginning is just getting used to where the buttons are and making your brain reigster what color is where. Once you get that down, things will improve rather quickly. Just find easy songs and play them over and over until you're confident with how everything is set up, the basics of the game. Practice really is all ya' can do.

If you're bad with the colors or play IIDX at all, Beat-Pop might help you a tiny bit, but I don't suggest you use it anyway.

+Quote Post
HikaTen
post Jan 19 2005, 01:59 PM
Post #7

Dazzlin' Darlin

Something else that has helped me with a few of the songs that have been a little harder for me is going into training mode and playing the song on the skill level I'm working on, with autoplay on. It helps a lot to be able to just listen to the song and figure out which sounds are keyed and what the song is supposed to sound like. Also fun to get my rhythmically inept brother in front of the TV and have the game autoplay Grunge-Des EX so I can watch his facial expression when the jackhammering starts.

Oh, and one of my IIDX-playing friends told me that he found that it made Pop'n a bit easier for him to figure out in the beginning if he thought of blue as center and treated white/yellow like the scratch disc. I don't play IIDX (yet), so I'm not entirely sure what that means, but...

>_< The only Bemani I'll get to take a crack at before Friday is DDR, dammit... That's what I got Pop'n to break myself away from...

+Quote Post
neotatsujin01
post Jan 22 2005, 09:01 PM
Post #8

Evergreen

hika ten! our sigs are almost identical! only you probably have better scores than me regardless...........sleep.gif

im new too. so if you want to battle. you can contact me through this but if you want to you can also aim me lilspideyIV. i think we are almost even.

+Quote Post
HikaTen
post Jan 27 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #9

Dazzlin' Darlin

Hey Nomi, you might want to update some scores or something... there's not many left that you're beating me on...

+Quote Post
patrick
post Jan 27 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #10

i'd also be up for competing. i was up in the high 20s, low 30s, but i haven't been playing much lately, and now i can barely pass 27s...

+Quote Post
HikaTen
post Jan 28 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #11

Dazzlin' Darlin

That's OK; I still haven't managed to get anything over a 24 yet... should have a little more luck in a week or two when 8 and 9 show up so I have more songs, but...

Anyways, it looks like I'm placing a little above you battle-wise, though that may be partially because I've been playing the hell out of all the song/difficulty combinations I can pass since there's still an awful lot I can't. We'll see what happens there once I've got Pop'n 9 so I've got scores to go against a little bigger part of your tables.

+Quote Post
HikaTen
post Feb 8 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #12

Dazzlin' Darlin

OK... I now have access to PNM 8 and 9, so anyone who wants to add themselves to this little group but doesn't have 10, go for it.

**goes off to take the plastic wrappers off the new PNM games**

+Quote Post
svenyip
post Feb 9 2005, 03:24 AM
Post #13

Tranoid

I'm probably a good comparison point for any other "Newbie with aspirations of Veteranhood" (is that a word?) out there. I haven't cleared anything above a 25 yet, and any song that's more complicated than "melody with one hand, single note on the other" is beyond me. (You wouldn't BELIEVE how many tries it took me to finally get through Pop'n Music The Ride in 10. Heh.)

Also, due in part to blundering into "Best Hits" for cheap and wanting to have more games to increase my bar graphs on tongue.gif , I now have access to every Pop'n Version on the PS2, and have entered scores for all the songs on 9-Line. So no matter what version you own, you can use me as a point of reference - I've been playing for a little over a month now, fairly extensively during that time.

Looking at my graphs, you'd think I had a clue how to play the game ... but I expect that to all fall apart once I start attempting Hypers and (ew) EXs. I'm not proud - if I score 30K on a song, I'll put it up in all its glory. Nothing like incentive to improve on a song. laugh.gif

--------------------
--- Svenyip, Beatrider of the Ambient Melody

+Quote Post
HikaTen
post Feb 9 2005, 02:44 PM
Post #14

Dazzlin' Darlin

heh... so you've been at it for about as long as me... and I think I have an idea of how many tries it took you to clear Pop'n Music The Ride; I couldn't pull it off until I was successfully clearing 18's on a regular basis (still go at it in an attempt to PC it every once in a while; I'm up to 95k and full-combo, but I still haven't quite got the timing for some of the junk there down).

^^ I cleared my first 25+ yesterday, which was neat... Though to be honest, Swedish Long doesn't really feel like a 25+, it's just long and has some ugly batches of pop-kuns in a couple places.

**sigh** Pop'n 9 free-mode bugs me. I went in after getting an unlock expecting to just be able to do a single song play on that one song before shutting down for the night, and discovered that I can't play things in Free until I've played them in Arcade. A tad irksome.

But yeah, my graph should get a bit more populated over the next couple of weeks. Which will be nice. More songs is good.

+Quote Post
svenyip
post Feb 10 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #15

Tranoid

QUOTE(HikaTen @ Feb 9 2005, 03:44 PM)
**sigh**  Pop'n 9 free-mode bugs me.  I went in after getting an unlock expecting to just be able to do a single song play on that one song before shutting down for the night, and discovered that I can't play things in Free until I've played them in Arcade.  A tad irksome.

Nodnod. I think all the PS2 versions are like that - until you've played them in Arcade, you can't play them in Free. Pop'n 7 was the most frustrating for me - partially because it was the last game I was playing, so a lot of the songs were 'redundant,' and partially because the unlock system in that is ... vague. At least with Gambler de Z, once you get the timing down, you should be able to "triple 6" the dice on a regular basis.

Me, I was clearing some 22s and still couldn't get through The Ride. Not all songs are created equal, obviously. (As seen by the fact that I can clear Special Cooking 9-Line, which is technically a 27 I think, but I'm still shaky on "Craze For You," the obnoxious 20 from Pop'n 10.) Eventually, I just sat down and took a half-hour to FORCE my way through it, more by memorization than by skill. Haven't tried it since to see if it's any more intuitive now.

Tomorrow I'll go flub more 23+ Hypers and increase my "70K and under" part of the graph. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
HikaTen
post Feb 10 2005, 03:38 AM
Post #16

Dazzlin' Darlin

heh... I don't get any PNM in again until friday... >_< I don't get much on wednesdays or thursdays, which is a tad irritating. And I cleared Special Cooking [9] on my first try at it, though I thought it was a 24... maybe the number is different between 8 and 9, though. I don't have it unlocked on 8 yet. And yes, Japameta sucks. Hiprock 2 also sucks if you're attempting to be somewhat quiet when playing and it's the first time you've attempted the song.

;_; I wish it didn't look like I'm going to have to clear a run through Gambler de Z to take a crack at Sympathy Long; stupid random unlock systems bug me. I like structure to my unlocks, dammit!

I worked out pretty early how to do Pop'n Music The Ride; it was more an issue of not having trained my hands to do different things at the same time yet when I first attempted it.

...I wish I had a little more money on hand at the moment; I still need to pick up 7 and BH! so I can get that last batch of songs. I wish I could afford to get things figured out so I could play the PSone versions, too; there's even more songs there (though I imagine that most of the non-license ones will eventually make their ways to the PS2).

+Quote Post
svenyip
post Feb 10 2005, 06:02 AM
Post #17

Tranoid

QUOTE(HikaTen)
I wish it didn't look like I'm going to have to clear a run through Gambler de Z to take a crack at Sympathy Long; stupid random unlock systems bug me.  I like structure to my unlocks, dammit!

Actually, the various "boss fights" in the Gambler de Z unlock system will just unlock that respective songs Hyper or EX version as applicable. If the "Powers of Random" haven't blessed you with unlocking the actual SONG yet, you still won't be able to play it until you find the song. (At least I think that's how it works.)

Really infuriating, too - I first got Pop'n 9 back in April, and Sympathy Long and Emotional were my favorite songs. Then I lost interest and, for whatever reason, nuked my save. Gave it another chance this year and Pop'n finally "clicked" with me, but Sympathy Long was one of my LAST unlocks the second time around as punishment biggrin.gif

QUOTE(HikaTen)
...I wish I had a little more money on hand at the moment; I still need to pick up 7 and BH! so I can get that last batch of songs.  I wish I could afford to get things figured out so I could play the PSone versions, too; there's even more songs there (though I imagine that most of the non-license ones will eventually make their ways to the PS2).

I wish there was ANYONE else in the area I knew that was into Bemani. I've 'invested' a small fortune in DDR, IIDX and now Pop'n over the last year and a half - but they're the only games I'll play consistently anymore, so it's all worth it.

And yeah, I wish I could track down at least Pop'n 6, too ... if for no other reason than to have more songs to add to the graph. I'm so easy to please. smile.gif

(Wonders when someone will just tell the two of us to take it to PMs at this rate. Heh.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
OnePhraseBlues
post Feb 10 2005, 09:47 AM
Post #18

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

im a noob. and i play on dualshock biggrin.gif and ive cleared all of 9line on popn8 except des-reggae. that song is so retarded sad.gif ive recently started playing popn9 and its not as great as 8. and also i ran into a boss with 20 steps remaining, i beat it and my turn was over. that was like the highest i had ever rolled and it just went away mad.gif so do i qualify for the rivalry?

+Quote Post
HikaTen
post Feb 10 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #19

Dazzlin' Darlin

Sure, get yourself some scores on PNN and you can go at it...

And losing 20 steps is nothing. I caught the Zen-Jazz unlock after getting a 54-step roll, nine steps in. Lost 45 steps on that one.

+Quote Post
svenyip
post Feb 10 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #20

Tranoid

Anyone that can play on a Dualshock and pass pretty much ANYTHING on 9-Line gets my immediate respect. biggrin.gif I have enough trouble "mentally transutf8g" the pop-kuns to the correctly positioned buttons on the correct controller. Whereas a Dual Shock ... I'd be constantly trying to remember, "Okay, is R1 for the Right Yellow, the Right White, or ... ?"

And remember, when trying to roll dice in Pop 'n 9, they aren't random, and always "roll" in the same sequence, with a "1" appearing just AFTER a "6" for both the dice and the multiplier. So if you keep your eye out for the 1 or x1 (they're a distinctive color) and press just before it, you'll be getting 72-step rolls more often than not for each set of three songs. That's usually enough to get through about one floor's worth of travel.

(Edit: Added my 5-Line scores for 9th and 10th styles into the mix ... well, just because. 5 AM insomnia this morning made it seem like a good idea. tongue.gif So I should have scores for pretty much anyone to compare to by now - and anyone who can consistently clear 25s or higher can probably tear me apart.)

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 06:40 AM