IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> controller stopped working
ErAseRmoTor maXi...
post Aug 11 2011, 08:24 PM
Post #1

The Shadow

this dao RES controller stopped working. the lights turn on but none of the buttons function and the turntable doesn't do anything. it was working fine last night then I came home from the DENTIST today and it's broken as fuc

what are the possible causes of this and how do you fix it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rmz
post Aug 11 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #2

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

Now I could be wrong about this but the evidence you've provided seems to point to the dentist visit as the cause of your problem

+Quote Post
SEXYSEXYCHEVY
post Aug 11 2011, 11:48 PM
Post #3

funny yet handsome

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

the dentist put electric sparks in your teeth and when you got home the sparks fell out into your controller sorry sad.gif

--------------------

TOO MANY SPINDISKS!!!!!!
( TANE IS LOVE [updated a bunch])
QUOTE (Junglist King @ Oct 8 2009, 01:44 PM) *
pabst blue ribobn

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Aug 12 2011, 12:13 AM
Post #4

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

try it on a few different devices, but it's possible you might need to replace the PCB

fortunately replacement PCBs (from Dao) are not that expensive and the actual installation process is pretty easy, you just need to take out about a million screws if my pop'n dao is anything to go by

for that matter, you can try just opening it up and checking all the connections are still in place

QUOTE (rmz @ Aug 11 2011, 09:18 PM) *
Now I could be wrong about this but the evidence you've provided seems to point to the dentist visit as the cause of your problem

this is why audity needs to replace his controller so often

--------------------

+Quote Post
ErAseRmoTor maXi...
post Aug 12 2011, 05:06 AM
Post #5

The Shadow

tried it on the computer and it didn't work either and took out/put back in a few of the switches. kinda hesitant to buy spare parts from dao since I ordered 8 omron switches and the ones he sent me are "made in singapore" ones with black buttons and each one has died about two months after I put it in (compared to the "made in japan" ones that came with the controller, have red buttons and some of which are still working perfectly)

would I need to buy both a PSX and turntable PCB?

don't want to pay $60 and get "Made in Fuzhou Industrial Development Zone by Authentic Quality Electronics" PCBs

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Aug 12 2011, 06:17 AM
Post #6

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Dao controllers use custom-built PCBs that use a plug/socket thing for the connections to the switches so you can't just put any old PSX PCB in there unless you want to take up soldering. Ordering from Dao is the only way to get those and you'll get the same kind as the ones in your controller already sooo

I'm not sure if you'd need both the PSX PCB and turntable PCB though. Depends what failed really.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ErAseRmoTor maXi...
post Aug 12 2011, 07:43 PM
Post #7

The Shadow

so yesterday when I plugged it into an adapter the computer didn't recognize it but now it does??? but the buttons/turntable still aren't functioning on the ps2 (other ps2 controllers work fine)

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Aug 13 2011, 02:51 AM
Post #8

Iā™„prat fall

double-check for any loose/bare wires? idk sounds like grounding issue or just pcb flaking out :<

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post Aug 15 2011, 04:36 PM
Post #9

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

If you feel up to it, replace the entire cord with a cord from a known-good controller (or extension cable). I'm not 100% sure how the PS2 controller pinout works but I think the button states are sent serially in a few parallel streams, so if there's one bad wire one of those streams might not be making it into the PS2?

That or maybe the optical sensors are going bad. If you have a multimeter (analog will be especially easy to read) see if both schmitt trigger outputs are producing a consistent on-off pattern when you turn the turntable, with regards to the teeth that interrupt the sensors.

also I totally expected Jadin to weigh in on the possibility of your controller being cake.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ErAseRmoTor maXi...
post Aug 19 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #10

The Shadow

fiddled with it for like 3 hours today and that didn't fix it and then blew on the connector and now it works lol. I'm dumb

but now the turntable is hypersensitive and misfires (undoubtedly as a result of me doing things to the controller since it has never misfired even once before although I never touched any of the turntable components while I was inside of the controller)

took out all of the switches+keys, cleaned everything put them back in, cleaned ps2 controller ports, jiggled some wires (gently), but obviously fucked something up somewhere

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post Aug 20 2011, 09:02 PM
Post #11

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

the turntable stuff has nothing to do with your ps2 controller ports or your keys

perhaps clean off the optical sensors (attached to the square circuit board under the turntable)??

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th February 2018 - 05:27 AM