Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> pop-kun vs beat-kun
stsung
post Jul 7 2008, 07:59 AM
Post #1

Dazzlin' Darlin

This weekend I went to Japan Expo and had the chance to play PNM for a while. After standing in a line for a while I finally got to the game.

I turned beat-kun on and played. Behind me people started to make comments in all directions.

"how can you play with beat-kun?"
"how can you read that?"
"what's wrong with you?"
"It's damn difficult with beat-kun..."

I never thought that someone would make comments like this. I play with beat-kun (if I don't forget to set it on) because it's easier for me to read it. I never thought that beat-kun in PNM would be a problem to anyone.

Ok I agree that this noteskin in PNM does not really feel right, but KONAMI put it there for a reason right? so well why not use it? all the EX charts I played I cleared on beat-kun but failed on pop-kun.

also I read some reactions about the beat vs pop noteskins so well....anything more elaborate?
-----------------
anyway I never had problem with reading pop-kun, I need higher speed mod for it though - and sometimes it's too fast for my hands.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BLUST OF WIND
post Jul 7 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #2

The Shadow

lol.

tell them to kick rocks.

I play pop'n exclusively with beat-kun on. I can't read it any other way.

People may call it blasphemous and so on, but all in all, if you can pass harder charts with it on, why the hell not?

It may be difficult, but more power to you.

Honestly, i find it funny when i go to a convention, and people pass me off as a noob as I play with normal mods first song and barely pass an 8...but next song i cut on beat-kun and 90k chocolate philosophy EX...

--------------------
<Eijiken> Beggars can't exactly be choosers you know.
<a_40_oz_for_breakfast> Beggers can be niggers though
<a_40_oz_for_breakfast> :>

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Jul 7 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #3

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I can play on beat-pop, but it's harder to read for me. I generally don't use it unless I have to, like to unlock Maximum (Mighty Guy) on Party.

I don't really like how the game looks on beat-pop, but if you really need it then whatever.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kevin energy
post Jul 7 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #4

I think happiness is having something to believe in.

beat-pop is the best mod in pop'n music :> everybody who uses it is a hero

basically beat-pop is like the right side of pop'n music

--------------------

+Quote Post
over there
post Jul 7 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #5

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(stsung @ Jul 7 2008, 08:59 AM) *
This weekend I went to Japan Expo and had the chance to play PNM for a while. After standing in a line for a while I finally got to the game.

I turned beat-kun on and played. Behind me people started to make comments in all directions.

"how can you play with beat-kun?"
"how can you read that?"
"what's wrong with you?"
"It's damn difficult with beat-kun..."

I never thought that someone would make comments like this. I play with beat-kun (if I don't forget to set it on) because it's easier for me to read it. I never thought that beat-kun in PNM would be a problem to anyone.

Ok I agree that this noteskin in PNM does not really feel right, but KONAMI put it there for a reason right? so well why not use it? all the EX charts I played I cleared on beat-kun but failed on pop-kun.

also I read some reactions about the beat vs pop noteskins so well....anything more elaborate?
-----------------
anyway I never had problem with reading pop-kun, I need higher speed mod for it though - and sometimes it's too fast for my hands.

Yeah, everyone I know that doesn't play IIDX thinks Beat-pop is SUPER hard to read on PNM. It helps some people like VgameT, EBIFLY, and Schala, but for most people it's damn annoying because you can't tell where to hit the note for a Cool rating like you can with pop-kuns, and a lot of easy distinctions between chords and elbow chords are lost in Beat-pop. It used to be an Ojama, and it has NOT been in the game from the start. I think Konami only made it a mod in pop'n 10, which was well after the time I started playing. On 10 and before (I think 10, correct me if I'm wrong), the game looks like BM1 when you use Beat-pop, not IIDX. I liked that better because the notes were solid and the background was BLACK, not like now where you can see through the Beat-pop-kuns and the background.

QUOTE(Xythar @ Jul 7 2008, 10:31 AM) *
I can play on beat-pop, but it's harder to read for me. I generally don't use it unless I have to, like to unlock Maximum (Mighty Guy) on Party.

I don't really like how the game looks on beat-pop, but if you really need it then whatever.

I agree with all of this post.

I don't use Beat-pop, and I may make fun of people who use it, but it's a legitimate way of getting good at the game if you're better at IIDX. I'm probably better at pop'n than I am at IIDX, so Pop-kuns fit a lot better for me. Do whatever you have to to get better.

+Quote Post
stsung
post Jul 7 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #6

Dazzlin' Darlin

I'm starting to feel better. I was really pretty startled when I heard their comments about beat-kun.
But now I'm more relaxed. I will continue playing with beat-kun as pop-kun is not really readable for me.

anyway I think that beat-kuns are solid color except in one game....or at least I remember one game where the beat-kuns were transparent and that made me fail everything and I had to switch to pop-kun. but on other games it's fine.

(there should be something like dark as in drummania...)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaze
post Jul 7 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #7

Tranoid

QUOTE(stsung @ Jul 7 2008, 01:20 PM) *
(there should be something like dark as in drummania...)

There is, but I'm pretty sure that it's a relatively new ojama.

As far as beat pop goes, it looks like shit on pop'n 8, but on the newer games it doesn't look too different than a 9K-AS BM. I don't use the mod, and it usually annoys me when people use it too, but the fact of the matter is the some of the best pop'n players in the world use beat-pop (the winner of top ranker), so it really doesn't have any bearing on your skill.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ArceusPear
post Jul 8 2008, 01:01 AM
Post #8

Evergreen

bag is only a 10 if you don't use beat-kun

--------------------

+Quote Post
vjgyo
post Jul 8 2008, 03:08 AM
Post #9

The Shadow

I started playing with Beatkun on 10 because it helped with learning to get used to a Popn controller instead of focusing on which color was where right away. Theres nothing wrong with it but I guess you can look at it like playing with Solo or even the different arrow shapes on US DDR CS releases. If it helps you play better, its not really cheating.

+Quote Post
Tropical Pallete
post Jul 8 2008, 03:30 AM
Post #10

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

I almost never use beat-pop. It's too confusing for me to read, and my scores typically go down a considerable amount whenever I do use it. I can't name a single song off the top of my head from the 4 pop'n games I own (9, 10, 12, and 14) where my scores were better with beat-pop than they were by simply using the default pop-kun.

Also, beat-pop has been around since 8 for the record. It might have been around earlier than that as an ojama, but that's when it became a separate option via yellow buttons before starting a song.

This post has been edited by Morning Blue: Jul 8 2008, 03:32 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (rmz @ Mar 19 2010, 02:30 PM) *
2 steps to naming a yoshitaka song

1. Turn on capslock
2. Roll face across keyboard

+Quote Post
HAPPY☆ANGEL
post Jul 23 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #11

epic poster

QUOTE(Kaze @ Jul 7 2008, 09:51 PM) *
I don't use the mod, and it usually annoys me when people use it too

yall jus jealous of lifull and his green tea

mellow.gif

--------------------
what is my problem with man, you ask?

no.

i ask you, what was man's problem with

+Quote Post
Spiritsnare
post Jul 23 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #12

make some noise daaadaadada

First, for the record, no to beat/chara-pop. Not only do I perform worse under beat-pop, I like the aesthetic of pop-kuns as notes - basically, what Xythar and Gabe mentioned earlier in the thread.

Second, the silly option:

QUOTE(stsung @ Jul 7 2008, 05:59 AM) *
beat-kun

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snakesonaplanepl...
post Jul 27 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #13

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I only use Beat-kun if it's a requirement for unlocking a song, like Fever CS. I'm just not as good at timing with it as pop-kun.

--------------------

SuperWailingBonus
QUOTE (rmz @ Mar 28 2008, 07:03 AM) *
NOW PRESENTING

BEATMANIA IIDX FOURTENN GOLDS FOR THE FAMICOM HOME ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

QUOTE (Kaze @ Dec 29 2008, 12:16 AM) *
But they've already relinquished its title of planet!

+Quote Post
jiano
post Jul 28 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FL_Vq4-t3M

100k a 42 with beat-pop (beat-kunt is a dumb name)

Fail 41s like Lamento with stupid colored buttons

mellow.gif

+Quote Post
stsung
post Jul 28 2008, 03:30 AM
Post #15

Dazzlin' Darlin

dj click: aren't you a IIDX player primarily? this actually surprised me. I mean I really can't play well with pop-kun. my accuracy is worse and I can't clear more difficult songs with it. but with beat-kun I'm fine. I still agree that beat-kun destroys the good look of PNM.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snakesonaplanepl...
post Jul 28 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #16

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(stsung @ Jul 28 2008, 03:30 AM) *
dj click: aren't you a IIDX player primarily? this actually surprised me. I mean I really can't play well with pop-kun. my accuracy is worse and I can't clear more difficult songs with it. but with beat-kun I'm fine. I still agree that beat-kun destroys the good look of PNM.

I do play quite a bit Pop'n Music from time to time. We have an arcade version of Fever in Houston where I live. It's hard to say, though, because I think I'm far better at IIDX than I am at Pop'n Music.

Pop'n Music does help me a lot with IIDX, though. Particularly when I'm reading complex chords on more difficult songs.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the reason I have more trouble with Pop'n is because of the lifebar. It's too hard to raise life, and it penalizes you too harshly for misses. It takes about a 50 combo to get life back, and I end up failing ~30+s for this reason.

That reminds me, I need to put in my Carnival scores. smile.gif

This post has been edited by SnakesonaplaneplayingIIDX: Jul 28 2008, 10:49 AM

--------------------

SuperWailingBonus
QUOTE (rmz @ Mar 28 2008, 07:03 AM) *
NOW PRESENTING

BEATMANIA IIDX FOURTENN GOLDS FOR THE FAMICOM HOME ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

QUOTE (Kaze @ Dec 29 2008, 12:16 AM) *
But they've already relinquished its title of planet!

+Quote Post
stsung
post Jul 28 2008, 04:59 PM
Post #17

Dazzlin' Darlin

hm that's wierd and I always thought that the lifebar is more strick in IIDX.....I'll have to play some PNM soon...also PNM never helped me reading anything in IIDX.....o_O I'm wierd right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Akureikaze
post Oct 2 2008, 07:59 AM
Post #18

Evergreen

I was so glad there is Beat-kun in this game.
First time I tried it at a Game Center with normal notes I couldn't read it at all...
Then I saw the mods and switched it to Beat-kun and have been loving it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toph
post Oct 3 2008, 02:49 PM
Post #19

No Mayoi No Life

From: *̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌l̡*

Arguing about pop-kun vs beatpop is pretty stupid, it's just personal preference. It's like saying "it annoys me how ebia uses HS 3.5 on mei," I wouldn't do it, but ebia would. Apparently ebia would also use beatpop. The more you know.

--------------------
溶け出せばどんくらいの世界が spread out?
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1172326

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Oct 3 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #20

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I forced myself to get used to normal pop'n notes and it worked out great, like Gabe mentioned it's easier to see some patterns that way (big chords mainly for me). My roommate can pass 35s with Beat-Pop but fails 23s without it.

P.S. beat-pop, not beat-kun. IIDX notes do not have eyes on them!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2020 - 02:13 AM