2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to pop'n, from IIDX..
typobox43
post Oct 22 2007, 01:23 AM
Post #1

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

I just started playing pop'n within the last week or two, and my pop'n mini 2 came in yesterday... so I'm pretty new to this, and have a couple of questions. So far the transition's been pretty smooth - already passed a couple of 35s on Fever - but I'm still kinda trying to orient myself in the world of pop'n.

So, my first question would be... how do people feel about using Beat-Pop? I found it after playing a couple rounds and haven't looked back since. It really makes things a lot easier for me - obviously, since I'm used to IIDX. Is it generally considered to be easier to play than the standard notes? Is using it looked down upon?

How about random/mirror? Does anyone actually use those in pop'n?

Also, I'm really wondering how the whole extra stage thing works. I randomly got one after playing a round on Fever once... haven't seen it since. I have no idea what I did. I'm also curious whether there's any way to get the result screen after a song to stay up for more than 5 seconds, but I have a feeling I already know the answer to that one. tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trip Machina
post Oct 22 2007, 03:00 AM
Post #2

The Shadow

Hi and welcome to the world of pop'n music.

I personally don't use the Beat-Pop mod unless I need to for fulfilling requirements like on pop'n 8 and stuff. I prefer the regular pop'n music interface, as I find it better (and easier to read) than with that Beat-Pop mod despite my BMI/BMIII/IIDX experience. Same thing with Mirror/Random; I don't use 'em unless it's required of me.

Depending on what game you got, the ExtraStage would usually appear after you've gathered around 120~+ Challenge Points...you get these points from playing Challenge Mode and choosing NORMAs/OJAMAs for each song in Arcade/Game mode....but sometimes, even while playing on the Normal (non-Challenge) mode in Arcade/Game mode, you might randomly get an ExtraStage; exactly how this happens...I have no idea; it just kinda happens after your Final Stage. =/

Other than that, you should enjoy yourself and play Challenge Mode more often, as it makes things a bit more exciting AND it usually aids in unlocking stuff. =)

--------------------
All you DDRist's, try Trip Machine with the bass turned up!!

+Quote Post
typobox43
post Oct 22 2007, 03:08 AM
Post #3

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

So far, I've been playing exclusively on Challenge mode on Fever. I think the Extra Stage that I got came with only 89 Challenge Points, though, if I remember correctly... Like I said, I haven't been able to repeat it since, and I've certainly gotten more points than that many times. There was nothing at all that stood out about that round compared to my other rounds - at least, not that I can think of. I did run across a list of translations for the unlock requirements, which was definitely helping to speed things along in that department. (Glad I did - I would have never figured out to use Random to select songs otherwise...)

+Quote Post
Arbel
post Oct 23 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #4

Dazzlin' Darlin

You can get it on Fever at 89 points, 97 points, and 125+. I think there are few other exact numbers, but yeah.

+Quote Post
FrozenHalo
post Oct 23 2007, 12:53 PM
Post #5

God damnit, not the toast!

110 too. (at least on AC)

--------------------
QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Jan 28 2009, 02:04 PM) *
Dolce's left hand...

has more teeth than you
bye

+Quote Post
Toph
post Oct 24 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #6

No Mayoi No Life

From: *̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌l̡*

I use s-random a lot, it's really really fun and will get your BODY MOVIN'. Random is iffy on its own for a lot of songs with chords because if you get a bad random, you will have a VERY bad random (difficult chords that you have to hit a lot).

--------------------
溶け出せばどんくらいの世界が spread out?
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1172326

+Quote Post
flux
post Oct 24 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #7

Rising in the Sun

Even though I played IIDX first, Beatpop never really helped me. However, one of my friends who played IIDX before pop'n does better with Beatpop. He usually doesn't use it, though, since he feels it kind of goes against the feeling of the game.

Like Toph, I play with S-Random sometimes. Usually to help me get better at speed and hitting awkward combinations.

On Fever CS, you get Extra Stage with:
89, 97, 104, 108, 115, 116, 122, 125, 126+
challenge points.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chubs
post Jan 1 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #8

Rising in the Sun

there are no good scores on popn navy or anywhere else i've seen with beat-pop, and no one good uses it. i'm not exacly sure why that is, but just dont expect to beat 42s or get any good scores on anything. proving me wrong would be pretty cool too though i guess.

+Quote Post
over there
post Jan 1 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #9

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(chubs @ Jan 1 2008, 02:47 PM) *
there are no good scores on popn navy or anywhere else i've seen with beat-pop, and no one good uses it. i'm not exacly sure why that is, but just dont expect to beat 42s or get any good scores on anything. proving me wrong would be pretty cool too though i guess.

Actually, the best player I've seen that uses it all the time is VgameT. Still, I too would be impressed if more people at his level used beat-pop, I personally find it extremely hard to use.

+Quote Post
chubs
post Jan 1 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #10

Rising in the Sun

wow really? i had no idea. i've talked to him about popn scores on irc before on several occasions, i'm suprised he's never brought it up. that bastard needs to start putting some scores up too, i hate it when people who can 95k 42s dont post scores. i mean seriously, whats the point of getting good if you dont wave your dick around in front of everybody. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
kevin energy
post Jan 1 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #11

I think happiness is having something to believe in.

I'm the best 8)

edit: and here's like my only score on pnn http://popnnavy.com/viewsong.php?songid=kaizoku&mode=ex
it's not even that good :X

--------------------

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Jan 1 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #12

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

9 BATON DE TANOSHIKU MUSIC!

I dunno about beat pop, to me it kind of ruins the spirit of the game. Use it if you have to, I guess, but you ought to be able to wean yourself off it eventually. DARQ used it to start with, I'm not sure if he still does. It's really just a matter of practice until you learn to read the normal notes though.

I can't read beatpop at all personally.

--------------------

+Quote Post
over there
post Jan 2 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #13

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(XytharDX @ Jan 1 2008, 11:39 PM) *
beat pop...kind of ruins the spirit of the game.

See this is what we call cheating. Speed modifiers are such a pain to select before you start your song in DDR, Ojamas must be correct at all times, the bar is for rapists and ITG (UGH HATE THOSE GUYS) players, Mirror makes a chart too easy for left or right handers, random takes away the ability to learn charts, and s-random makes jacks or adjacent chords into easy stuff.

But, konami allows all of these o_O I mean, they allow THESE, but not FLIP? wtf konami.

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Feb 3 2008, 08:13 AM
Post #14

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I wouldn't call it cheating, it just feels like it's missing the point to me. It's like playing Pop'n but treating it like 9 button IIDX, instead of its own game.

(sorry about the month late reply >_>)

--------------------

+Quote Post
kevin energy
post Feb 3 2008, 08:26 AM
Post #15

if you're not using charapop I think you're really missing the point of the game
which is:

kawaii

--------------------

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Feb 3 2008, 09:04 AM
Post #16

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

what if I do use charapop, smart guy

WHAT THEN

--------------------

+Quote Post
kevin energy
post Feb 3 2008, 09:23 AM
Post #17

you win a prize

here it is:

--------------------

+Quote Post
kevin energy
post Feb 3 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #18

saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

+Quote Post
darq
post Feb 3 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #19

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(XytharDX @ Jan 1 2008, 11:39 PM) *
I dunno about beat pop, to me it kind of ruins the spirit of the game. Use it if you have to, I guess, but you ought to be able to wean yourself off it eventually. DARQ used it to start with, I'm not sure if he still does. It's really just a matter of practice until you learn to read the normal notes though.

Haha although i dont really play popn' atm i'll hafta agree with you. I used Beatpop for ages coz i found it easier to read then the regular notes. However it felt like it was ruining the game for me too so i shifted back 10 difficulty levels and learnt how to read the normal notes which took a good couple of weeks to ajust to...either way I can read both beat pop and pop kun easily. I ust suck too much at the game to hit all the notes lol sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bartz
post Nov 10 2008, 01:05 AM
Post #20

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

...I actually didn't know about BeatPop until around two weeks ago, and I've been playing Pop'n for 2 years.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2020 - 08:12 AM