IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ASCs vs. small controllers
What's your opinion about arcade-style controllers versus "small" controllers?
What's your opinion about arcade-style controllers versus "small" controllers?
ASCs are the only way to go! It's the way the game was meant to be played. [ 49 ] ** [49.49%]
ASCs are the only way to go! Small controllers make the game too easy. [ 13 ] ** [13.13%]
Either kind is fine! Whatever floats your boat -- it's all personal preference. [ 30 ] ** [30.30%]
Small controllers are the way to go! ASCs aren't worth the price! [ 6 ] ** [6.06%]
Other, please specify [ 1 ] ** [1.01%]
Total Votes: 99
Guests cannot vote 
Kaze
post Oct 24 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #21

Tranoid

QUOTE (Oogami @ Oct 24 2004, 02:20 PM)
First off, I know this thread is old, but I just haven't gotten around to reading it until now.

I didn't get an ASC (despite having the opportunity to) because I don't enjoy Pop N' enough to spend that much money on the game.

However, there's one point against the small controllers that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet: not only are they incredibly sensitive to the point of annoyance sometimes, they also occasionally don't register at all!  I've been robbed of 100Ks a number of times because one of the damn blue buttons (and 90% of the time non-registering buttons are the blue ones on both my controller and a friend's) just decides not to work for a note.  It's so frustratingly annoying that it's part of the reason why I don't play PnM that much.

Your Konami controller = my KonamiStyle ASC.

Konami sucks at making controllers.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Oct 24 2004, 09:56 PM
Post #22

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

You need to make some kind of tally on how much money you've spent on Bemani equipment. I'm guessing it's at least $1300.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Big Fat Lobster
post Dec 29 2004, 02:50 PM
Post #23

I simply loathe the small controller. I learned to play Pop'n Music in Kyoto, in the Arcade, waiting in lines five to six people long packed with experts who were all badass at the game and then I had to plod up and crank away at a difficulty 8 nine-line song. This produced such golden moments as when I witnessed a master player try (and I do so emphasize "try") to do Red Hyper Trance in Pop'n 6.

So the ASC is the only way to go.

+Quote Post
Nomi
post Dec 29 2004, 02:57 PM
Post #24

Rising in the Sun

Does this discussion change even a little with the arrival of the newer mini-controller? I've never played on a proper ASC, I will never see a pop'n cabinet ever, so... I am at the point where small isn't that bad of an option for me. It's domed, and sure it's sensitive, but it's still fun. Difficulty isn't an issue for me, since I suck even with the small one.

So it's not exactly how it was 'meant to be played'. If Konami didn't mean for Pop'n Music to be enjoyable with a small controller, they never would have made them in the first place. Boils down to preference, to me. I'm not gonna see arcade Pop'n and I have fun with small, so hey, it's the way to go for me right now.

+Quote Post
Ninja Hero Shino...
post Dec 30 2004, 08:38 PM
Post #25

Evergreen

I've been playing for over a year now, and would have to say I prefer the ASC. Why? It's just much more fun to play. I started out playing on a small controller, and was playing on it up until about a month or so ago where I started having regular access to an ASC (but I still don't own one ;_;), and ASC is just loads more fun.

I have nothing against the small controller, it's just that it makes the game far too easy for me, whereas the ASC provides a challenge. I just don't feel like Classic 9 EX is an accomplishment for me since I did it on a small controller, but I'm happier that I just passed Zen-Jazz EX on an ASC.

+Quote Post
simple__mind
post Jan 3 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #26

Evergreen

I've never had the chance to play on a small controller untill christmas. My parents got me the Konamistyle Limited edition for x-mas. Its pretty cool. I hate the small controller so much. I can't even pass some 9 line songs. I guess it's just because I'm not used to it. But I don't want to get used to it. The small controllers suck all the fun out of the game. That's my two cents.

+Quote Post
Nomi
post Jan 3 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #27

Rising in the Sun

^ I take it you played a lot longer on an ASC or arcade before, right?

I've talked to quite a few people who have only ever played on the small (new and old) and haven't ever been to an arcade with Pop'n Music, and almost none of them hate the controllers. Maybe it's the argument of 'you don't know what you're missing' or something, but I really am perfectly content with the little thing. It's still fun, but maybe that's because I'm still on mid-level songs and would be worse on an ASC anyway.

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Jan 3 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #28

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I've played on both and they're both fine. I'm not sure I believe the ASC is as better as most people who play on it seem to think because it's so much more painful. Playing on the small controller is a more sustainable activity.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dewgy
post Feb 22 2005, 09:31 PM
Post #29

Tranoid

I don't know if this is just me or anything, but what the hell.

Bought the Controller Set when I preordered 10 and bought 9. (Before I ever played Pop'n. I live for danger. ninja.gif ) Now, I'm eagerly awaiting a Ransai ASC. All I really know at this point is the small controller is hella fun, although it's very easy to get the buttons confused as they're so god damned close together. In fact, my current hurdle involves just accurately hitting adjacent buttons with one hand. (W-Y, B-R, etc.) There's not enough room for my hand in there, and it's too uncomfortable for my fingers to do it. (Though I admit I have long fingers.)

Though in my opinion at the moment, that's like saying the problem with crack is you have to poke yourself with a needle. Hehe. A minor issue at best. Anyone else have problems with this on the small controller?

--------------------
QUOTE(enojy)
my technique for innocent walls...
on the song select screen, simply rotate the turntable clockwise or counter-clockwise directly past innocent walls.
QUOTE(Schlagwerk)
My technique for Innocent Walls:
Take both hands off the controller. Hold my arms out straight infront of me (zombie style). Extend middle fingers.
For best experience, keep middle fingers parallel and turned upright.

+Quote Post
SEXYSEXYCHEVY
post Feb 23 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #30

funny yet handsome

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

When pop'n 9 came out I was desperate to play, but didn't have enough money for any kind of controller, so I built my own out of cardboard, duct tape, tinfoil, and an old ps2 controller. ( Here's a picture of it. I know the button spacing is far from correct.) It worked surprisingly well considering what it was made of. I could pass songs up to around 30 and could even 100k some stuff.

When I tried a friend's small controller several months later, it was definitely a step up, but it seemed much easier. Currently I have the small controller 2 that I got with pop'n 10 and I enjoy it quite a bit, but the few times I have been able to play in the arcade are definitely more fun, which is why I'm getting a desktoparcade ASC in a week or so.

--------------------

TOO MANY SPINDISKS!!!!!!
( TANE IS LOVE [updated a bunch])
QUOTE (Junglist King @ Oct 8 2009, 01:44 PM) *
pabst blue ribobn

+Quote Post
Dewgy
post Feb 23 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #31

Tranoid

That thing rules. You should make a guide for it. I mean, seriously, that's the most ghetto thing I've ever seen, and I want one. biggrin.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(enojy)
on the song select screen, simply rotate the turntable clockwise or counter-clockwise directly past innocent walls.
QUOTE(Schlagwerk)
Take both hands off the controller. Hold my arms out straight infront of me (zombie style). Extend middle fingers.

+Quote Post
Sl1p
post Mar 24 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #32

Evergreen

My first experience with Pop'n Music was in the arcade. I played throughout the weekend, came back home and ordered myself a small controller and a bunch of the games.

I have absolutely no problems with the small controller except for the fact that in a sense, it makes the game too hard. There are parts where you just need to throw out some elbows and the small controller really doesn't let you do that, unless you feel like hyper extending your fingers.

Whenever I play in the arcade, it only takes me one song to readjust and then I'm back to wherever I am at home, only better.

I'd pick up an arcade style if for starters, the official arcade style wasn't so poorly made (I feel like Im breaking it whenever I play on it) and ridiculously over priced. And secondly, I don't feel the need to turn $275 bucks over to some random kids for a plank of wood with some buttons attached to it. Lastly, the damned things are ridiculously loud. Playing on an arcade style produces the sound equivilent of dragging a DDR machine into your room and having two 500 pound apes play Max 300 over and over and over again.

But either way, it dosen't really matter. Both achieve roughly the exact same thing only in slightly different ways. It only becomes a problem when elitist retards attempt to jump up your ass for using x controller instead of y controller.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Random
post Mar 25 2005, 07:38 AM
Post #33

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE(Sl1p @ Mar 24 2005, 09:11 AM)
And secondly, I don't feel the need to turn $275 bucks over to some random kids for a plank of wood with some buttons attached to it.

ahahahaha I get it. roflcopter dude.

I wouldn't say anyone's busting your ass for using one controller or another. I definitely agree that playing with either controller gives you similar gameplay, but I would also say that the two controllers give different styles of gameplay - some aspects are better, some are worse. If some guy's bawling at you, saying you're cheating because you're using a small controller... he's way too competitive and insecure with something his skill doesn't give him the right to be competitive about. He just wants to say that he's better than you because he does it differently. I know... well, a few people like that too. And it gets on my nerves equally as well, but that shouldn't give you an excuse to go off on everyone. Not everyone thinks like that.

Granted, I'm competitive myself, but christ, it's a video game. Have fun with it - that's what it's made for you to do. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Sl1p
post Mar 25 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #34

Evergreen

Oh, I forgot that your name is random.

Yeah, I didn't mean it like that ;p

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Dewgy
post May 6 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #35

Tranoid

I've had my new Ransai for a few days now, and the only way I can truly express my opinion for this is by making some sounds of pleasure that would generally be looked down upon in public.

Seriously, it's just that much better.

--------------------
QUOTE(enojy)
QUOTE(Schlagwerk)

+Quote Post
SirSlarty
post May 8 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #36

Rising in the Sun

Having a small pop'n controller around is nice when you break your back or have surgery on your abdomen and can't really move your upper body that much. I had to play on a small controller 2 for about a month.

I was so used to the ASC. Your fingers get so cramped in that space. I could barely score decently and I even can AA some 6* 7key in IIDX.

The game, I believe, is designed so well and the notecharts are designed so well that the fun and skill required almost mix when playing pop'n. I get a high when playing a fast song and clearing it with my arms ablur (i.e. Special Cooking H at 4x).

It's a matter of preference and affordability. I don't care either way when it comes to pop'n battles what a person is using to pop them pop-kuns.

+Quote Post
cubesquared
post May 8 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #37

Rising in the Sun

I was playing with my Crazy Hit for the longest time, so I got really used to the timing on that. I only started using my big black homemade ASC box about a month and a bit ago, but I think I've quickly gotten far more used to it. Sure, there's songs I can't pass anymore I used to be able to 90k in my sleep (curse you, Cuddlecore Hyper) but for the most part my scores and technique have gone up since I started using the ASC.

That being said, the two hold different places in my heart. The CSC is there to prove that I can read the notes, being able to -play- them is a completely different matter and I leave that with my ASC. For a while I was thinking personally that CSCing would be akin to cheating (that's why I didn't enter my pre-existing high scores) because I thought it was easier, but I'm pretty neutral about it now.

Of course, all this being said, I play iidx on my CSC, and I can only play Battle mode on my ASC ^-^

-cube

+Quote Post
Skyline
post May 10 2005, 06:19 AM
Post #38

Rising in the Sun

The small controller has only one thing going for it: and that is the random modifier.

Try doing a Key-1+5+9 / 1+4+8 chord on an ASC, without using your head for the middle key. It's kind of frustrating.

And random-modified songs tend to throw this kind of shit at you whenever it feels like. >_<

+Quote Post
dj Asian Rebirth
post Jul 27 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #39

Hi. I'm new to the community and my friend got me a PNM mini-controller 2 for my B-Day (because I got him beatmania US for his b-day). I have never played pop'n music before, but i've been watching lots of videos and this looks hella fun. I haven't played with the controller yet, but I want to know the list of ADVANTAGES and DISADVANTAGES to having a small controller.

+Quote Post
rmz
post Jul 27 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #40

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

+ Some songs are easier
+ You don't need to rig up a big stand for it, and it's easy to pack up when you're done
- Some songs are harder
- Not the arcade experience

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2020 - 06:18 AM