Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> so i'm mildly peeved, and kind of relieved
Dewgy
post Feb 11 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #1

Tranoid

and rhyming to boot!

anyhow, due to my pop'n controller being on loan for an extended period of time and general laziness abound related to clearing off a spot on my admittedly horrendous floor, i haven't been playing pop'n for the last few months. i picked it up a couple of days ago, and luckily for me i seem to have lost absolutely no skill in that time. i'm pretty much exactly where i left off.

however, there's the issue: i'm EXACTLY where i left off. same problems, same trouble with reading certain songs, and so forth (although the first maddening part of nebuta ex seemed to make a bit more sense than usual). does anyone above my level (40-a few 41s) have any good songs to play to advance past this wall of doom? i really don't feel like getting "out" of pop'n music so quickly after picking it up again, but i'm getting frustrated fast. sad.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(enojy)
my technique for innocent walls...
on the song select screen, simply rotate the turntable clockwise or counter-clockwise directly past innocent walls.
QUOTE(Schlagwerk)
My technique for Innocent Walls:
Take both hands off the controller. Hold my arms out straight infront of me (zombie style). Extend middle fingers.
For best experience, keep middle fingers parallel and turned upright.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
over there
post Feb 11 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #2

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(Dewgy @ Feb 11 2007, 12:22 AM) *
and rhyming to boot!

anyhow, due to my pop'n controller being on loan for an extended period of time and general laziness abound related to clearing off a spot on my admittedly horrendous floor, i haven't been playing pop'n for the last few months. i picked it up a couple of days ago, and luckily for me i seem to have lost absolutely no skill in that time. i'm pretty much exactly where i left off.

however, there's the issue: i'm EXACTLY where i left off. same problems, same trouble with reading certain songs, and so forth (although the first maddening part of nebuta ex seemed to make a bit more sense than usual). does anyone above my level (40-a few 41s) have any good songs to play to advance past this wall of doom? i really don't feel like getting "out" of pop'n music so quickly after picking it up again, but i'm getting frustrated fast. sad.gif

Reading will come with time, but higher-speed reading comes with force. Reading Lamento EX on HS4 and Cyber Gagaku EX on HS3 is pretty normal for me, simply because I forced myself to do so. It ends up that I can read clusters better that way as well, so I get better scores and pass much more often. Basically, get your standards around 190 for HS4, 150 for HS5, and 130 for HS6, and you'll be on your way to reading clusters better.

The other option is the one I gave you at BOWL-mani Fest, which I don't think is pertinent yet (pass a good bit of 41s from pop'n 11 and down). Stop using your fingers and "rolling" your hands/wrists across the muttons, and get used to making hard, overt movements to hit the buttons, like in the topranker video, how everyone does 16ths as separate notes, not as a scale where they "roll" their hands across the buttons. Basically you're at 42s once you can do that, and you'll find it a lot easier to 100k lvl. 3X songs on EX.

+Quote Post
FrozenHalo
post Feb 11 2007, 02:34 AM
Post #3

God damnit, not the toast!

cockbags

--------------------
QUOTE (Schlagwerk @ Jan 28 2009, 02:04 PM) *
Dolce's left hand...

has more teeth than you
bye

+Quote Post
Hitman
post Feb 11 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #4

Dazzlin' Darlin

Otaku has good advice... Or at least, I think he does, although I haven't attempted his second suggestion very much yet. However, recently I've discovered I can handle approximately one speed higher than what I could previously use, and it's made a HUGE difference in the scores on some songs, like Rinsei, which I can not only pass now but which I've improved my score on by several thousand points. (I moved from using 3x to 4x for that song, in case you were wondering.) On the other hand, on some songs it doesn't help me at all, like Precious Encholes. That's not a song, it's a space-time distortion demo.

However, I think there's something more important than that to focus on, and that is not forcing yourself. There have been several days where I've tried too hard to improve, and it's only made my scores worse and made me too frustrated to continue playing. This isn't a particularly popular method--I know none of my personal friends practice it--but when you get frustrated trying to pass difficult songs, I'd suggest going back and playing some easy songs that you know you can do well on. Not just easy EXs, but Hyper and Normal songs too. I think it really helps you improve your timing when you're not focusing on just keeping up with all the notes they're throwing at you, and it's just more relaxing to play that way when failure is never imminent (unless you always aim for 100ks or something).

Actually, I never even focus on trying to pass new songs. I always try getting better scores on songs I know I can pass, and if there comes a day when I'm doing especially well in that regard, THEN I aim for previously failed ones. Usually it doesn't work, but sometimes it does. The fact of the matter is that you can improve without playing a song that destroys you, and I daresay you might actually improve more when doing so. Something else worth mentioning is that, although sometimes it takes me months to pass a new song, I will have better scores on dozens of others by the time I actually do pass said song. In other words, just because you can't pass new songs doesn't mean you're not improving, just that it's harder to see to see you're improving when you're limiting yourself to songs that you're not supposed to be passing yet. Just relax, when you're this high up, learning is naturally going to be slow... percentage-wise, you have only a tiny portion of charts left to pass. (I just checked, 40+ charts only make up 4.2% of all the charts on Pop'n Navy... 3.1% if you count 5-line.)

--------------------
As the whole army walked in accompanied by tanks walked in more, a bunch of soldiers walked up a grenade in each of their hands.
--Tom Dyron

Have a Drink at the SAND WITCH! The sun makes heat, it's hot my meat! Have a drink!
--Teh Baro

+Quote Post
over there
post Feb 11 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #5

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Yeah, you're all ready pretty far up the difficulty ladder, Dewgy. I think another key thing I forgot to mention is that playing different charts always helps. Play songs you hate, aren't familiar with, or have never tried, including Hypers and/or 9-lines. Any new patterns can help you realize what to do to hit those patterns. Try not to settle for anything less than a certain score if you're playing 9-lines, for example, and make sure it's something you're going to have to play a few songs over again to get. When I ran through 9-line on Carnival, I made sure I was at the very least, tied with #1 for every song. I learned how to do weird 16th note runs such as 4+9, 7, 1+5 while getting all cools by going through the hypers, and I've also adapted to reading things a lot faster (especially if the song was difficult to 100k; I've used 2.5 on Kei-Row 9-line and HS5 on Gamelan Hyper, for example).

Hitman also said to not play songs that will destroy you, and I think that's another great point for your level, but I'm not sure it works as well for the hardest songs. You'll rarely pass a 42 (BUT TRY OI PUNK EX, it's really easy tongue.gif) unless you really learn how to dissect the song by playing it quite a few times. Those songs don't usually come with skill as much as hard work biggrin.gif The skill will come through the hard work, and then you'll get the clear.

Dewgy, trust yourself. You'll be a man.

+Quote Post
Dewgy
post Feb 12 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #6

Tranoid

Well I already play at ~750-800 bpm, and I have been doing a lot better on stuff. In fact I almost passed Trauma Punk EX again. :3 (Why is it I can do that but Pyramid is just a stream of steaming crap to me? :<)

I think I need more charts. I'm gonna finish unlocking Carnival and play a lot of that, then maybe go back and play a lot of 7, 8, and 9. Hell, maybe I'll even go with my very old original plan and try and "beat" each of the successive Pop'ns, haha. Might be worth a few laughs. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(enojy)
on the song select screen, simply rotate the turntable clockwise or counter-clockwise directly past innocent walls.
QUOTE(Schlagwerk)
Take both hands off the controller. Hold my arms out straight infront of me (zombie style). Extend middle fingers.

+Quote Post
over there
post Feb 12 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #7

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(Dewgy @ Feb 12 2007, 12:00 AM) *
Well I already play at ~750-800 bpm, and I have been doing a lot better on stuff. In fact I almost passed Trauma Punk EX again. :3 (Why is it I can do that but Pyramid is just a stream of steaming crap to me? :<)

I think I need more charts. I'm gonna finish unlocking Carnival and play a lot of that, then maybe go back and play a lot of 7, 8, and 9. Hell, maybe I'll even go with my very old original plan and try and "beat" each of the successive Pop'ns, haha. Might be worth a few laughs. smile.gif

There's always something new to do; today I passed HELL the 12 after raping lamento (the only thing that would allow me to beat the course), and I plan on going through (yes, FINISHING) some of the Marathons on EX.

Also, 750-800 is a lot different pre-9 and post-10, and on 9. I read at about 1000 on 9, and 900 on 7 and 8. I read at what I said on 10 and up tongue.gif

One other thing: Pyramid is really easy if you use elbows during the 120 BPM part, and using HS6 on pop'n 10. The ending is still gonna be hard though rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
matt4596
post Feb 12 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #8

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE(otaku1313 @ Feb 12 2007, 12:12 AM) *
There's always something new to do; today I passed HELL the 12 after raping lamento (the only thing that would allow me to beat the course), and I plan on going through (yes, FINISHING) some of the Marathons on EX.

marathon EXs? you mean the ones with cowboy and classic 8? lol good luck.

--------------------
If your controller doesn't fall to the ground, you're not playing pyramid ex right.

+Quote Post
Dewgy
post Feb 13 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #9

Tranoid

QUOTE(otaku1313 @ Feb 12 2007, 12:12 AM) *

Also, 750-800 is a lot different pre-9 and post-10, and on 9. I read at about 1000 on 9, and 900 on 7 and 8. I read at what I said on 10 and up tongue.gif

One other thing: Pyramid is really easy if you use elbows during the 120 BPM part, and using HS6 on pop'n 10. The ending is still gonna be hard though rolleyes.gif

haha yeah i know about 9 already, basically 9 made the screen bigger but the notes don't get any faster than 8 or below, so it's a weird transitional phase kind of deal where there's more space and slow notes

i think i read that at about 900-1000 myself

--------------------
QUOTE(enojy)
QUOTE(Schlagwerk)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2020 - 07:34 AM