IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ASCs vs. small controllers
What's your opinion about arcade-style controllers versus "small" controllers?
What's your opinion about arcade-style controllers versus "small" controllers?
ASCs are the only way to go! It's the way the game was meant to be played. [ 49 ] ** [49.49%]
ASCs are the only way to go! Small controllers make the game too easy. [ 13 ] ** [13.13%]
Either kind is fine! Whatever floats your boat -- it's all personal preference. [ 30 ] ** [30.30%]
Small controllers are the way to go! ASCs aren't worth the price! [ 6 ] ** [6.06%]
Other, please specify [ 1 ] ** [1.01%]
Total Votes: 99
Guests cannot vote 
dj Asian Rebirth
post Jul 27 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #41

-About what level range are the songs easy and which are hard?
-This is mostly finger play, right? (No need for palms and elbows?)

thanks for the response.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rmz
post Jul 27 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #42

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(dj Asian Rebirth @ Jul 27 2007, 08:17 PM) *
-About what level range are the songs easy and which are hard?

I personally have trouble with anything over 34ish on a small controller (too cramped for me), but not everyone has that problem.

-This is mostly finger play, right? (No need for palms and elbows?)

Yes.

+Quote Post
over there
post Jul 27 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #43

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

1+2+5+8+9 chords are murder on an ASC unless you're a girl, but mini players (if they ever encounter them on sran) probably take them for granted.

+Quote Post
dj Asian Rebirth
post Jul 28 2007, 02:08 PM
Post #44

Wow. That combination sounds like murder itself. Wait, how would a girl tackle that combination?

-I'm a IIDX player. Is Pop'n Music going to be a huge learning curve just as I started playing IIDX?
-What version of Pop'n Music would be the best to start out with?

+Quote Post
over there
post Jul 28 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #45

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(dj Asian Rebirth @ Jul 28 2007, 03:08 PM) *
Wow. That combination sounds like murder itself. Wait, how would a girl tackle that combination?

-I'm a IIDX player. Is Pop'n Music going to be a huge learning curve just as I started playing IIDX?
-What version of Pop'n Music would be the best to start out with?

1st point: Depending on how good you are, you'll do just fine within the first day or two catching up to somewhere around your equivalent level in IIDX. A mini might be easier to adjust to, but there's not much of a difference. The main thing is that if you have a mini, try not to play like this is IVDX, and hit blue-white chords (or further, like red+white) with two hands. This will help you adjust to ASCs at the same time, so you're not as confused when you play on one.

2nd point: This used to be a no-brainer, but it's kinda tough now. I'd actually say 11 or Carnival are the best at this point, but the old standby pop'n 8 or 9 is fine too. I wouldn't recommend getting 10 or IROHA if you're just starting (aka can't really pass 4* songs in IIDX), but they will benefit you on the higher end of the difficulty levels. pop'n 9, Carnival, and 11 are the best all-rounders because they have some incredibly difficult songs included with some very very easy songs. pop'n 8, by comparison, doesn't really have anything incredibly technical in it, and it's harder songs are mostly just badly done charts.

Girls hit 5 with their breasts in a 1-2-5-8-9 chord :G

+Quote Post
dj Asian Rebirth
post Jul 29 2007, 02:48 AM
Post #46

I see.

-My friend (the one that bought the controller) has a pop'n music controller as well, but for himself. I asked him where he got it and he told me he got it from controllica.com. My question is...which is better: controllica or konami? And why.

+Quote Post
therealbong
post Jul 31 2007, 03:25 PM
Post #47

Tranoid

My friend has a small controllica controller. I'd say that a Konami V.2 is definitely better. The buttons are easier to push and more rounded on the top and much more responsive. The controllica isn't too bad though, I'd say its at least as good if not better than a Konami V.1.

Also, in respect to your question about which PnM to start with, I'd recommend 9. 10th and onward had its difficulty increased so the learning curve will be much harder. 9th and 8th you don't lose nearly as much life so that would be a good starting block. Another thing I'd like to say is the speed mods from version to version. lol For some reason the scrolling rate and the length of the lanes seem to change from version to version.

For the following examples, I'll use a 200 bpm song. for 8th and 9th I'd use hi speed 4. 8th, the lanes aren't that long, but for some reason it feels like it scrolls slower than any other version. 9th has by far THE longest lanes, but moderately normal scrolling so it counter balances each other and I can use hi speed 4. On 10th - 13 I'd use hi speed 3: each seem to have a moderate scroll rate and medium lane length. On PnM 14/Fever, I'd use 3.5. It'll take a while to get used to, but you'll eventually find your sweet spot for all HiSpeeds.

Oh! one more thing. lol I suggested 9th and completely forgot about this. Under NO circumstance do you play pyramid >_> lol moreso its just that I hate that song and feel free yourself to play it lol I just like announcing my distaste for that...'song'.

happy.gif With all that said though, smile.gif welcome to the community. wink.gif We hope you enjoy!

--------------------
The names Bong, James Bong.

<me and friends after watching the new Batman movie>
"Either you die a slut, or you live long enough to find yourself a single mother."

+Quote Post
Elixir
post Jul 31 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #48

Banned Routine

QUOTE(dj Asian Rebirth @ Jul 29 2007, 07:48 PM) *
I see.

-My friend (the one that bought the controller) has a pop'n music controller as well, but for himself. I asked him where he got it and he told me he got it from controllica.com. My question is...which is better: controllica or konami? And why.

I've heard bad things about these "controllica" controllers. No personal experience to go by, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Angelus_Ov_Letum
post Aug 3 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #49

Tranoid

QUOTE(therealbong @ Jul 31 2007, 04:25 PM) *
Oh! one more thing. lol I suggested 9th and completely forgot about this. Under NO circumstance do you play pyramid >_> lol moreso its just that I hate that song and feel free yourself to play it lol I just like announcing my distaste for that...'song'.

Huh? Pyramid isn't on 9th, unless you ment to say 8th. btns.gif

+Quote Post
ChocolatePhiloso...
post Mar 8 2008, 01:38 AM
Post #50

Evergreen

Well, I basically got my boyfriend's old ASC controller but if I had to pick between the two to buy, I would definitely go with the ASC controller. You can play the songs at homes without adjusting too much to when you play the game at the arcade. Although the smaller controllers are easier to carry around with you and not as loud as the ASCs (this is one of the biggest complaints I receive from those around me) I just see them as a toy. The ASCs might be on the more expensive side but they are definitely worth it.

+Quote Post
stsung
post Jul 7 2008, 07:43 AM
Post #51

Dazzlin' Darlin

I played the game 3 years ago for the first time on KONAMI ASC v1. and that controller wasn't as good as I thought it could be. But well also me playing the game for the first time not knowing any other games except DDR etc. But what I remember is that playing harder songs on it made me wonder when the controller will break.

At the same event I also played on KOC and I had much more difficulties playing on it. It just did not feel right.

I bought a KOC controller later to play PNM and I still had the same difficulties. I just couldn't play on it with my fingers. (I was more playing with one finger on each hand and that was fine for me). Later on I tried playing on PNM ASC once again and I found out that my level is actually better and I don't have such difficulties on it. (it was home made PNM ASC)

Few days back I played on DJ Dao ASCs and I found them really great. (and I could use as much force as I needed). I don't know why but it felt far better than KONAMI ASC.

DJ Asian Rebirth: I personally think that PNM is far easier (at least at the beginning) than IIDX. I played 15s the first time I played on PNM ASC and I played 3s the first day I played IIDX (also on ASC). Surely the timing in PNM is much more "beginner" friendly and it seems to me that staying "alive" is much easier too. (but that might be just a feeling)

--------------------

+Quote Post
AnoxiaSan
post Sep 8 2009, 01:41 AM
Post #52

IDK. I've yet to play on a mini controller, but I can honestly say that I LOVE playing on my ASC. Its so much fun. I have a feeling that I aggravate the neighboring apartment residents with the noise.

I almost caved in and bought a mini, but an ASC floated by and my BF and I split costs. I play it more than he does though : \

I believe that game play is probably about the same. My hands would probably cramp up on the mini controller like they do when I play on my IIDX controller.
I like my ASC, nuff said.

--------------------
: 0

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th December 2019 - 04:24 PM