Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Feels good to be back!
ark_keeper
post May 29 2013, 03:41 PM
Post #1

Evergreen

DJ Battle This User

Found my swap discs when we moved this month. Got a PS2 at Half Price Books earlier this year. So I just ordered a controller off ebay, been playing 5 key with the dualshock in the meantime smile.gif Can't wait to start playing again.

I stopped with 9th style, so what did I miss?! What do I need to grab?!

Also plan on getting a Dao in the fall once my wife starts at the new school district.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fake-ass John Tr...
post May 29 2013, 04:01 PM
Post #2

betty spaghetti

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (ark_keeper @ May 29 2013, 01:41 PM) *

charts have gone from this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se-1JSKGzWE

to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5abY1vxXGn0

other than that CS IIDX is no longer in production and stopped at 16. Arcade is at 20 and in HD now

+Quote Post
sync
post May 29 2013, 05:17 PM
Post #3

The Shadow

QUOTE (ark_keeper @ May 29 2013, 02:41 PM) *

Wow. So, really, you're finding out about 11 new styles all at once. That's pretty good.

There's a ton of new stuff since 9th style, so for game information you could probably start here: 10th AC or 10th CS (The wiki has most information about CS 1-16 and AC 1-20.)

Tl;DR:
-The styles started getting their own names starting with 11th. (IIDX RED)
-There's an in-game towel of sorts called Sudden/Sudden+.
-Starting with the 12th (HAPPY SKY) game difficulties now go from 1 to 12 instead of 1 to flashing 7s.
-Somewhere around 14 CS (I don't know when it was introduced in the arcades) they introduced a green number on the sudden+ lane cover that shows how long the notes are going to be on the screen.
-17th (SIRIUS) introduced songs with hold notes, and a kind of hold note for the turntable.

Stuff like that.

Edit: Oh yeah, the general chart "playability" (for lack of a better term) has gone way up since 9th style too.

+Quote Post
rmz
post May 29 2013, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

Wow, been a while since I've seen someone on here from the VJA OG days.

My personal favorite post-9th games are 10th and 13th, but they're all pretty good in different ways.

As for recent stuff, it seems like most of the people that still actively play the game use the hacked arcade "PC" versions, since the PS2 versions stopped after 16. (I'd ordinarily be more vague about referencing that, but I really don't think anybody's going to crack down on this place for referring to those at this point.)

Also, all of the Bemani games started coming out with increasingly stupid/hilarious subtitles starting with IIDX 11 so you should probably check out what you've missed in the meantime

+Quote Post
ark_keeper
post May 29 2013, 06:07 PM
Post #5

Evergreen

DJ Battle This User

Good stuff!

I think 10th was out and 11th almost out when I sold my controller and Happy Sky was being previewed. Then I had a kid and bemani fell off the radar for me completely.

Now I'm getting old and all nostalgic. Plus I have a big boy job and can buy things now.

Glad PC hardware can run the game better now, it was pretty shoddy back then if I remember.

I may just buy Empress to have a nice set of new and old CS songs to play.

Unfortunately I couldn't find my old memory card. Wish all my old scores were still in the database, but I'm pretty much starting from scratch anyway. I should have the controller next week so I can start inputting!

This post has been edited by ark_keeper: May 29 2013, 06:09 PM

+Quote Post
Tau
post May 29 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #6

HOW TO COOK DELICIOUS RICE AND THE EFFECT OF EATING RICE

If you're from Las Vegas then it's a pity you missed Gemini. They closed down about a month ago but they had two IIDX AC cabinets and a very active community. They're still around though, just operating out of private locations. Drop a message in Hitch Hiker and someone actually local to the area can probably fill you in on it, it'd be a really good way to get back into the game.

The arcade scene in the US has seen its ups and downs, lots of arcades that used to be major community hubs have closed down, on the other hand most of the places that are still around are connected to something called Programmed World which is ... kind of a grey area, but a bunch of people basically figured out how the internet services for these games are supposed to work and wrote a clone server that does the same thing. So you kinda have this automatic VJArmy type thing for arcade scores now that lets you rival people in real time, which is pretty awesome. It also lets you actually unlock things, because the newer games have become ridiculously dependent on the network services as of late.

--------------------
QUOTE (Junglist King @ Jan 16 2011, 03:19 PM) *
Hot and Dangerous scratching. Makes "Big." by FullMetal Tortoise look like something Gosaku would play.

+Quote Post
Fake-ass John Tr...
post May 30 2013, 01:47 AM
Post #7

betty spaghetti

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (ark_keeper @ May 29 2013, 04:07 PM) *
Good stuff!

I think 10th was out and 11th almost out when I sold my controller and Happy Sky was being previewed. Then I had a kid and bemani fell off the radar for me completely.

Now I'm getting old and all nostalgic. Plus I have a big boy job and can buy things now.

Glad PC hardware can run the game better now, it was pretty shoddy back then if I remember.

I may just buy Empress to have a nice set of new and old CS songs to play.

Unfortunately I couldn't find my old memory card. Wish all my old scores were still in the database, but I'm pretty much starting from scratch anyway. I should have the controller next week so I can start inputting!

oh wow just noticed you're in Vegas as well. Do you personally know VGTA? He's still actively playing and could probably fill you in on some new stuff as well. There was an arcade that was open here the past few years that we were playing IIDX at but recently shut down (plans to reopen in a year though)

+Quote Post
ark_keeper
post May 31 2013, 01:49 PM
Post #8

Evergreen

DJ Battle This User

I moved out here last fall ahead of my family and went by there once. Quickly spent $20 and realized my skill level would cause me to spend quite a bit if I wanted to improve much. Plus the monitors they were using for IIDX were pretty awful. So I didn't go back after that. Now I wish I had popped in every so often :/ There was one dude playing who looked pretty good, playing 14k.

This post has been edited by ark_keeper: May 31 2013, 01:50 PM

+Quote Post
Fake-ass John Tr...
post May 31 2013, 03:08 PM
Post #9

betty spaghetti

DJ Battle This User

AC IIDX timing is a bit different from CS timing so it takes awhile to get used to.

If you have facebook there is a IIDX group I set up several months ago that's fairly active. https://www.facebook.com/groups/americaniidx/

+Quote Post
ark_keeper
post May 31 2013, 03:32 PM
Post #10

Evergreen

DJ Battle This User

It wasn't even the timing so much as trying to distinguish the notes blurring down the screen. Like the framerate was off or something. I think one of the machines seemed better than the other. I dunno, it was back in the fall, I just remember it was really hard to see the notes clearly.

I was never really good or anything, so we'll see how it goes this time around. Controller should arrive tomorrow or Monday.

+Quote Post
BigC
post May 31 2013, 03:46 PM
Post #11

Candy Galy

DJ Battle This User

AC IIDX is picky with TVs so it may have been a monitor issue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fake-ass John Tr...
post Jun 1 2013, 06:43 AM
Post #12

betty spaghetti

DJ Battle This User

oh yeahhhh. that monitor is a broadcast monitor. there's literally no sync issues with it at all but visually it has a ghosting effect since it's a plasma screen. you get used to it after awhile

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2018 - 10:51 PM