IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [VJA] Announcing VJ Army 4.0 Public Beta, Please read this really carefully.
Remy
post Dec 14 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #1

VJ Army is dead or alive

I am very pleased - and slightly dejected - to announce that VJ Army 4.0 is now available as a public beta.

I am pleased because this is the largest overhaul of the site that's ever been conducted since it was originally written nearly three years ago. The look and feel is new - clean and easy to read, but modern and actually with thought to the design. Session mode now has quick score inputs. There's ajax in all the right places, there's better controls for selecting songs and users on pages where you need to do such things...there's an incredibly long list, one I probably should have been keeping track of better while the development effort was in full swing. Paul and Matt have done a tremendous job coding everything up to the needs of the community.

I am dejected because, as I've mentioned in the other thread, the development team had hoped that we'd be able to do a full launch tonight. The truth is, we can't - there are a few show-stopping bugs and functionality gaps. Off the top of my head, the most notable are:

- IE7 has horrible CSS problems with the style selection control. Opera is having some issues too.
- There is no course session, no original course creator, and view course isn't fully baked yet.
- There are no rival data pages.
- Some pages are taking a long time to load - far longer than they should.
- XML and sig graphics are not generating on 4.0.

The roadmap from here is simple. Right now, you can access 3.0.1 at the usual address, and can access 4.0a at the address listed below. Both run out of the same database; the same login and password will work on both sides. You will see the same data on both sides. I don't recommend that you hop between the two sides, but you should be able to without too much pain.

The development team will continue to work to wrap up 4.0 fully. When that time comes - when all of the above bugs are resolved/addressed - VJ Army 4 will be placed at the usual address (/iidx), and 3.0.1 will be moved to a folder to be named later. As I previously have mentioned - a number of long-time users have already expressed concern that they don't like the changes. 3.0.1 will be available into the forseeable perpetuity, but once 4.0 goes final, that code will be frozen forever. Should changes happen to the site that break portions of 3.0.1, there will be no fix - hell, those pages will probably be taken down. It is recommended you get acquainted with 4.0 as soon as you can. It, like the children, are our future.

I will be posting a message in Under Construction about the proper way to communicate about bugs in 4.0 - if you have feedback that needs quick attention, please join us on IRC (irc.gamesurge.net, #vjarmy), as all of the development team can be found there.

Finally - gigantic, gigadelic thanks to Paul and Matt for completely destroying me in both quality and quantity of code. Also big thanks to rmz, sanchny, PkerUNO, KevinDDR, HerbieIIDX, BBH, skullie, and anyone else who tested that I'm forgetting about.

So, with that in mind - enjoy.

http://vjarmy.com/iidx-next/

--------------------
Make rigorous observations, and be prepared to cite your sources.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rura
post Dec 14 2006, 12:12 AM
Post #2

Dazzlin' Darlin

Beating_a_Dead_Horse.gif How do I use smiley?

+Quote Post
Mafia Boss
post Dec 14 2006, 02:18 AM
Post #3

too busy for IIDX

Congrats on the launch! I know how hard it can be to wrap up loose ends that seem to have no end.

I like the new site, but I don't plan on switching just yet. I know, I am an old-timer luddite stick-in-the-mud, but what can I say? I will reiterate my biggest concerns:
- I'd like a way to change mods from the "Quick Update Score" panel. Right now you can't even see your previous mods, so you don't even know if they need updating or not.
- The song session page isn't nearly as easy to use without the grid layout. There should be a grid option.
- The green army/camo theme just doesn't fit. At all. "VJ Army" isn't about the US Army. It's about DJing, music videos, and IIDX.

If these were addressed, I'd be ready to leave 3.0 behind.

Also, I noticed a bug which is probably simple to fix--there's no SUD+ or HID+ with Happy Sky in 4.0 (this works in 3).

+Quote Post
Kirby Kirby Kirb...
post Dec 14 2006, 07:21 AM
Post #4

Cosmic Cat

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Thanks for putting it up! Here's hoping people won't whine too much that stuff isn't entirely complete, because that's what keeps me from making betas of anything.

And time for the obligatory Love Generation comment:
It, like the children, are our future.

We are the kids of the future... Come and see!

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Dec 14 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #5

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(Remy @ Dec 13 2006, 10:10 PM) *
- IE7 has horrible CSS problems with the style selection control.

I shouldn't have updated to IE7. >.<

I will definitely give the new site a shot when I get some new Happy Sky scores to put in. Thanks for all your hard work, guys! Definitely appreciate it.

+Quote Post
Nahbien
post Dec 14 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #6

Dazzlin' Darlin

Looks great so far! No problems/bugs that I see in Firefox 1.5.0.8

But I also suggest showing/be able to change the modifiers in the little window smile.gif

+Quote Post
Blo0P
post Dec 14 2006, 02:55 PM
Post #7

Rising in the Sun

Wow Remy it looks fantastic, when you get the first version done are you going to start converting PNN to the same format?

I also love how you can update your score very easily.

--------------------
Hardest songs beaten:
IIDX: One More Lovely [H] - 9
pop'n: Athletic Meet [H] - 36

I'M SO SICK OF ALL THE SLAKE HATING.

+Quote Post
hlavco
post Dec 14 2006, 03:27 PM
Post #8

Evergreen

I like the "Landslide Songs" in the dj Battle. It'll help me to see what I need to work on. Also happy that 5-key is included in the battles now (though the 5-key exclusive songs are missing).

--------------------
gambol \GAM-buhl\, intransitive verb:
1. To dance and skip about in play; to frolic.

+Quote Post
Blo0P
post Dec 14 2006, 04:03 PM
Post #9

Rising in the Sun

Just one little thing to point out. When you have no score for a song, and go into the score entry, there is no option to see the full scoreboard. I know its a little thing but that's how I always go to see the scores and sometimes if I don't have a score I like to browse it.

--------------------
Hardest songs beaten:
IIDX: One More Lovely [H] - 9
pop'n: Athletic Meet [H] - 36

I'M SO SICK OF ALL THE SLAKE HATING.

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Dec 15 2006, 02:10 AM
Post #10

I♥prat fall

I doubt any of these will be useful; I just wanted to try out photoshop really. =)
Maybe soon I'll make something that's decent and useful.

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
Hsanrb
post Dec 15 2006, 07:57 AM
Post #11

Dazzlin' Darlin

I love the way that this is looking, but some things have been modified that shouldn't have. I'm sure it's beta and that in the conclusion of the beta, all the modifiers/grades will go back to their IR image compared to the horrible style thats used now. Also second the idea that some modifiers should be changable such as Hi-speed, difficulty, and random/mirror.

Other than that, I think 4.0 is alot better than the present version, and that I got pretty used to the new setup in a matter of minutes.

+Quote Post
Remy
post Dec 15 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #12

VJ Army is dead or alive

QUOTE(Hsanrb @ Dec 15 2006, 07:57 AM) *
I love the way that this is looking, but some things have been modified that shouldn't have. I'm sure it's beta and that in the conclusion of the beta, all the modifiers/grades will go back to their IR image compared to the horrible style thats used now. Also second the idea that some modifiers should be changable such as Hi-speed, difficulty, and random/mirror.

The idea with the icons is that we will eventually be offering multiple themes; for those of you who like the ugly as sin "standard IR images" will have an option to use them. That said, I really like the new modifier graphics compared to the tiny squares that every site in history has used.

I agree that we should have a method to tweak modifiers on quick entry; it's something we'll try to add before 4.0 final. If nothing else, we are supposed to have a preference that *always* sends you to the extended entry form if you so desire.

--------------------
Make rigorous observations, and be prepared to cite your sources.

+Quote Post
Mafia Boss
post Dec 15 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #13

too busy for IIDX

QUOTE(Remy @ Dec 15 2006, 09:42 AM) *
I agree that we should have a method to tweak modifiers on quick entry; it's something we'll try to add before 4.0 final. If nothing else, we are supposed to have a preference that *always* sends you to the extended entry form if you so desire.

Now just include an option for grid layout and VJA4 will be the new gold standard smile.gif

+Quote Post
red_dragon
post Dec 15 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #14

Evergreen

QUOTE(Mafia Boss @ Dec 15 2006, 05:20 PM) *
Now just include an option for grid layout and VJA4 will be the new Solid Gold standard smile.gif

fixed and QFE.

+Quote Post
DHB - Der Jäger
post Dec 16 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #15

Dazzlin' Darlin

Nice layout... I hope it won't be too much of a hassle to get it to work completely.

By the way, I have noticed that the foreign languages aren't implemented yet, will they be brought back? If so, I still volunteer to do the translations into French as I did for 3.0.1...

--------------------
IIDX Wars Episode 5: Scales Strike Back!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current thought: allright, three more 8* and over on 7k down... loads more to go, yay!
------
QUOTE("Dewgy commenting rmz's Photoshopped photo of Jimbo")
"This is the first time in history that someone has actually used Photoshop to add red-eye."

QUOTE("Oddity")
"Don't call me cute or I'll **inserts pic of himself** RUB THIS INTO YOUR FACE"

My life: digintegrated.livejournal.com
My sims: jfiles.free.fr

+Quote Post
shinigami_2057
post Dec 16 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #16

Tranoid

Congratulations on an awesome release! The dev team put a hell of a lot of work into this, and they should be hella proud. gg rura smile.gif

--------------------
<davidbrit2> No Doubt Get Loud will make my nuts explode.
QUOTE (Sardius @ Aug 17 2005, 08:18 PM)
fuck goli and all that anime bullshit. the mere inclusion of both g.m.d. AND s.d.z. makes every previous iidx release seem like a disappointment. I'm buying ten copies of this when it comes out and will rub them all over my balls. ALL of them.

QUOTE (dog$ @ Sep 13 2005, 06:59 PM)
Silvia Drive is also nails-on-chalkboard horrible, too; again, the chart is decent but Noria's attempt to out-yodel backyard dogs is a mind numbing atrocity.

+Quote Post
rura
post Dec 16 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #17

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE(DHB - Der Jäger @ Dec 16 2006, 05:59 PM) *
Nice layout... I hope it won't be too much of a hassle to get it to work completely.

By the way, I have noticed that the foreign languages aren't implemented yet, will they be brought back? If so, I still volunteer to do the translations into French as I did for 3.0.1...

They will absolutely be returning and as soon as we're ready I will contact the translators with updated locale strings. smile.gif

+Quote Post
rura
post Dec 16 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #18

Dazzlin' Darlin

If nothing else, we are supposed to have a preference that *always* sends you to the extended entry form if you so desire.

And now it's there. I normally wouldn't post about features since we're adding so many still, but this is one that should help out a few people. smile.gif

+Quote Post
roothorick
post Dec 17 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #19

Dazzlin' Darlin

Quick entry not worky for me sad.gif

Like the new layout, and it's easier on the eyes, but it needs work.

Also, most songs I click don't open the quick entry thing and take me to the regular entry thing. Is this intentional?

+Quote Post
Nahbien
post Dec 17 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #20

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE(roothorick @ Dec 17 2006, 09:12 PM) *
Also, most songs I click don't open the quick entry thing and take me to the regular entry thing. Is this intentional?

I've noticed that for your first entry for a score (eg it was blank) then you get a full board. If you already have a score, you get a quick edit.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2018 - 01:33 PM