Reply to this topicStart new topic
> IIDX Controller Mod, Since people asked
Schlagwerk
post Sep 21 2005, 11:19 AM
Post #41

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(Jimbo22291 @ Sep 21 2005, 12:27 AM) *
so i was bored and decided to mod the keys to my controller (didnt really need to bother with the turntable)

im really happy with how it turned out! no more stickiness =)

I modded my turntables for the heck of it, used cardboard cutouts under the keys, and shaved 1cm off the tops and bottoms of all the keys. The trimming the keys finally got rid of sticking for months but now... they're starting to stick again! ;_;

I was hoping to never have to open up my controllers again...

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mind the gap
post Sep 21 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #42

Moes Before Bros

I haven't tried this out yet but somebody told me that if you use WD-40 instead of water to clean the keys it extends the time between cleanings by a lot. Just an idea, I'm going to try this instead of key shaving.

--------------------
(01:39:20 AM) threeof2side222: the internet is my nerv hospital room
(01:39:23 AM) threeof2side222: and i'm so fucked up

+Quote Post
ZETA SHINTANi
post Sep 21 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #43

Dazzlin' Darlin

Well I'm not sure if this is a real mod or anything but if it fixes the controller a bit. . . my scratch was feeling kinda stiff, so I just loosened the screw a bit and added some baby oil around the edge of the "disk." It slides really well now. I'm not sure if there are any side effects. . . more on that soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post Sep 21 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #44

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(boss matsumoto @ Sep 21 2005, 04:38 PM) *
I haven't tried this out yet but somebody told me that if you use WD-40 instead of water to clean the keys it extends the time between cleanings by a lot. Just an idea, I'm going to try this instead of key shaving.

I actually did try this and found no noticeable difference. I really wish I still had access to the silicon spray we used to use to lube the quarter pushers up at Hersheypark. That stuff'll do wonders.

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."

+Quote Post
OTKU
post Sep 25 2005, 12:34 PM
Post #45

Rising in the Sun

I decided to do something bold and I put more than the recommended thickness of material under the keys in my KOC. Now my KOC keys are softer than ASC! ^_____^

My friend dj ICU has an ASC, and I've used it before and felt the ASC keys. After comparing the two, Ive decided not to buy an ASC, because my KOC keys are twice as soft as the keys on an ASC. They still don't match the keys at the local arcade's machine in terms of softness, but they definitely respond easier than ASC, especially for one handed play, and since modding, I haven't had a single nonresponsive keypress, or a single sticky key.

For the mod, I used 7 sheets of index card cutout circles + 1 sheet of a plastic material which is the equivalent of 3 sheets of index card. So basically, to do the mod, you need 10 sheets of index card (or the equivalent of this thickness) under each button.

Try this out if you're unsatisfied with your KOC and are considering investing in an ASC or home made ASC.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Trip Machina
post Sep 25 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #46

The Shadow

About the Turntable Mod:

OK, my turntable is making these grinding noises now, so it's time for the mod. T_T
I've been playing BM and IIDX for a bit more than a month and now these grinding noises start.

Umm, if I use wax paper, will it be more frustrating cutting out the "donuts" than the Circuit City bag?
At work last week, I had to cut some wax paper for some food and it constantly kept sticking to my hand...like static electricity-like, which was a bit annoying.

--------------------
All you DDRist's, try Trip Machine with the bass turned up!!

+Quote Post
blackstar
post Sep 26 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #47

Rising in the Sun

Wax paper will probably be better than circut city bags...

Also something I've been meaning to ask...Occasionally I spin my turntable when playing and it makes a ERRRRR noise. Is this normal?

--------------------
IPB Image

IPB Image

+Quote Post
ZETA SHINTANi
post Sep 27 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #48

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE(blackstar @ Sep 26 2005, 09:25 PM) *
Wax paper will probably be better than circut city bags...

Also something I've been meaning to ask...Occasionally I spin my turntable when playing and it makes a ERRRRR noise. Is this normal?

No, this is not normal. Your donuts are being worn out. Do the turntable mod IMMEDIATELY.

--------------------

+Quote Post
blackstar
post Sep 27 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #49

Rising in the Sun

Except for the fact it's brand new...

._.

It doesn't do it all the time, if I start spinning it a lot eventually it will make the noise.

Oh, I did the wax paper mod already...in fact after 1 song I did it and it's been making that noise.

--------------------
IPB Image

IPB Image

+Quote Post
mind the gap
post Oct 2 2005, 08:46 PM
Post #50

Moes Before Bros

That's been happening to me for ever since I got the controller. I did the mod and it still happens. I really don't care though. I've got bigger issues, such as how my keys stick incessantly. I did the key shaving 2 days ago and my 5 key stuck again? What the hell Konami.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Telix
post Oct 3 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #51

I fear the day I get my first keystick. I modded my keys and turntable day 1, though, so I hope that helps! (No shaving, yet.)

--------------------
Clever ringtones define me.

+Quote Post
Trip Machina
post Oct 3 2005, 02:15 AM
Post #52

The Shadow

About 3 weeks ago, I modded my keys for the first time with cereal box cardboard circles.
And just recently, they started sticking again, so I glued some shoebox cardboard circles ON the already existing cereal box cardboard circles, thus enhancing my keys to the point of where it's HIGHLY unlikely that they'll ever stick again.

My keys are now SUPER responsive...probably better than an ASC.

Last night, I did the turntable mod because my turntable kept making that damned noise.
So, I bought some wax paper and modded the turntable with the slipmats/donut circles.
After I modded it, to my surprise, it made the same noise again, but THIS time, it was even worse than before I even opened the controller. It was hella loud too and very annoying, so I re-opened the controller and took all those screws out again and wiped the hell out of those donuts with a silk cloth and MADE sure (before I re-screwed it back) that this noise was gone, which it was this time. ^^

So, I screwed it back and put everything back together and now I think my modded KOC > an ASC because it works soooooo much better. tongue.gif

So, all in all, double-up (not triple) on the cardboard and CHECK+SPIN the turntable BEFORE screwing in all of the screws that don't hold the actual scratch disk in place. smile.gif
No need to shave your keys unless even tripling the cardboard fails. o_O;;;;;;;

--------------------

+Quote Post
bapple cider vin...
post Oct 3 2005, 08:51 AM
Post #53

The Village of the Lovers of Heckran

Better than an ASC until it starts sticking again. I'm assuming you've played on an ASC after making that assumption. [/hypocrite]

--------------------

hualep ola whef

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Oct 3 2005, 03:06 PM
Post #54

Iā™„prat fall

that was actually something I REALLY didn't like about overmodding. I could slightly tap the button and it registered. not a good thing, as I'd have extra poors all over the place, and lots of combo stops. I prefer to have to push the button down all the way to register; it's more comfortable...

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
OTKU
post Oct 3 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #55

Rising in the Sun

I guess everyone plays differently, so whether an ASC or KOC has better buttons is a matter of personal preference. I played on an ASC long before I ever got a KOC and I like my overly modded (10 sheets of index card) KOC better because I hit kinda softly, even when I slam the keys, it's still not, like, REALLY hard, so sometimes I'd lay my finger on a key on the ASC and it wouldn't respond because I didn't press hard enough, so that made me sad about ASCs. Also, I don't mash, so I rarely ever press a button that I don't intend to. Plus I haven't had any sticky keys, and I doubt that I ever will because my keys hardly move at all. biggrin.gif

The buttons that work best for me are ARCADE > KOC > ASC > RAVE DISCMAN (lol)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Trip Machina
post Oct 4 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #56

The Shadow

QUOTE(Oddity @ Oct 3 2005, 09:51 AM) *
Better than an ASC until it starts sticking again. I'm assuming you've played on an ASC after making that assumption. [/hypocrite]

LOL, when I said "sooooooooooooo much better", I was referring to my KOC, as I haven't played on an ASC before, but believe that it's better because my KOC seems to be perfection. I have played on an actual arcade machine though. tongue.gif

The keys just_can't stick again....it's not overmodded either. Pressing down still happens, only to a lesser extent. I too don't like the idea of overmodding, that's why I made sure that I could still press the keys down enough to constitute the controller's original key proportions.

I totally agree with OTKU as well. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mind the gap
post Oct 4 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #57

Moes Before Bros

Ohhhh man, I think I just finally fixed the sticking, for the time being anyway. When I cleaned my controller in the past I failed to clean out the little grooves on the side of the key which get loaded up with gunk. Now that I cleaned them there isn't any sticking on that particular key, Key #5 the one I'm slamming with my thumb. As long as this goes for at least 3 weeks without sticking I'll be happy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Oct 11 2005, 10:15 AM
Post #58

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I've gotten used to cleaning the controller once a month, myself. It's not too bad, and only takes 10 minutes at most. The way I like the keys means I have to have a minimal amount of cardboard so I have to press down more. It feels better this way, and like some people said, you dont get extra poors you didn't expect. I also notice friends won't BRUSH the keys and accidentally choose something they didn't mean to.

For those who have the whirring noise...after modding, did you tighten the center screw on the turntable too tight? Even a 1/16th turn counterclockwise could make a difference (lol). It did for me, at least.

Does anyone else find humidity to be a big factor in sticky keys? I lent my controller to a friend, and we JUST remodded my controller, and within a week she was complaining about sticky keys. I took it home, played with it for over an hour and never had one sticky key. I couldn't find the one she was looking for. I realized after going to her house later, that her place was way more humid than mine. It might do something ::shrug::

+Quote Post
bapple cider vin...
post Oct 12 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #59

The Village of the Lovers of Heckran

JON was saying something about being where he was in Japan making tons of sticky key situations. Lots of humidity.

--------------------

hualep ola whef

+Quote Post
mind the gap
post Oct 20 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #60

Moes Before Bros

Alright I posted this over at bemanistyle, I'll just make it really short here.

I shaved my controller in an attempt to stop the stickies. The stickies persisted within one day of play, so I got pissed and shaved more of the key and the casing, just a little of the casing though. I honestly thought that would do it. It made it worse. I was using a nail file though, I'm getting a metal file soon and will try with that, but I'm wondering if shaving the casing was a big mistake and will screw me over for the future.

Ok so that wasn't that short, but whatever.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th February 2018 - 05:19 AM