IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tips for advancing?, Any tips for semi-noob player to get better?
Sumea
post Mar 2 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #1

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

I have been struggling for while now - I am at moment at point where I can pass lvl 7-9 hypers (not all 9 levels though, fucking DJ mass mad *izm)

I have tried lvl 10 hypers several times but my fingers/coordination just does not seem to be enough - any "protips" for hand positioning, etc to get into gear?

I at moment play 1p sided (so disc left, keys right) so my left hand's middle and index fingers are on keys, and I use them to press buttons 1 2 and 3, and occasionally 4, I use pinky and "Nameless" to scratch, I use my right hand on rest of the keys with my right hand, I do not use thumb or pinky though, but basically "the nameless" finger is on 7th button, middle finger on 6th or 5th key, and index to whatever in between (2-4)

I know one factor I am missing is thumbs, but adding them to my coordination is hard, but I want to know is it crucial. Reason why I did not start with thumbs in play from beginning is simply that I started on keyboard so...

I also normally do not use cover (toweling?) and speedmods for me normally range for 100-133pbm song at 5.0, 150-160pbm song 3.5-4.0, 170-200pbm are at 2.5 and so on.

Any tips for better coordinating stuff would be appreciated, maybe any trick for positioning so I can start practicing inclusion of thumbs in my play too..?

Thanks for all!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
m335h73r
post Mar 2 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #2

Roll for Tier

DJ Battle This User

Jam harder :>

--------------------

+Quote Post
rmz
post Mar 2 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #3

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

Some time-honored tips that I see all the time on here:

Practice
Use random to get used to weird note patterns more quickly
Practice
Use whatever hand positioning is most comfortable for you, there are very successful players who play with all sorts of weird styles
Practice

I'll let the people who are actually good at this game give more specialized tips.

+Quote Post
over there
post Mar 2 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #4

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

What rmz said, especially do what's comfortable. Also randoming everything is a good idea once you no longer have trouble with 9s.

However, if you plan on playing AC plan on adopting a common play style, like 1048-shiki, dolce's free movement, or the common left on 123, r on 4567 until you get a scratch, then r thumb hits 3. I'm guessing "nameless" finger is your ring finger? If so, I consider that a better choice than using your pinky, as you can make it quite a bit stronger in a shorter amount of time. Thumbs WILL be a good idea but they're not absolutely necessary unless you play on AC (or an ASC) at all. Just remember, keep it comfortable. I tried 1048-shiki on AC but it was so uncomfortable I just went to the left 123/S+12 style.

As for towel/hat/sudden+/cover you should use, at the very least, sudden+ on gold, troopers, and empress/pb CS, and on Empress and above AC. As you do this you'll get more used to where the sudden+ or towel needs to be. Using a hat is a good idea for songs with large slowdowns or speedups, but besides that it's not necessary.
Also concerning sudden+, I can't concentrate on a full screen of notes so I play slower speeds and cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the screen with sudden+. Well, I can but my accuracy suffers terribly. Find what looks and feels the best for you.

Jadin can probably give you the most tips since he's way better than me and in the middle of changing how he plays right now.

+Quote Post
ErAseRmoTor maXi...
post Mar 2 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #5

The Shadow

avoid hats because if you start using those things now you'll have a harder time playing without them later on probably

+Quote Post
kevin energy
post Mar 2 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #6

I think happiness is having something to believe in.

is that an issue, though? it's not like you're going to find yourself in a clutch situation in a hats-banned environment or something
or are you

--------------------

+Quote Post
over there
post Mar 2 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #7

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

TOURNAMENT SITUATION

Also I take my hat everywhere and never had a problem with it, even japones players use it.

I can see where erasermotor is coming from though.

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Mar 2 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #8

I♥prat fall

use both thumbs and have fun :> I could get detailed but there's not a big reason to

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
mutiny
post Mar 3 2011, 02:14 AM
Post #9

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

what is this hats you speak of

+Quote Post
rmz
post Mar 3 2011, 02:18 AM
Post #10

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

Hat mode is like towel mode but even ghettoer and more easily adjustable mid-song

As long as you hold your head reeeaalllly still

+Quote Post
mutiny
post Mar 3 2011, 07:55 AM
Post #11

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

So you .... wear the hat and ..... use the brim as sudden+? haha wow

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Mar 3 2011, 08:33 AM
Post #12

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Yeah

Though it's kind of weird to get used to, I've only ever used it on fun and Himiko

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Mar 3 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #13

I♥prat fall

I like to use it on snow storm

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
over there
post Mar 3 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #14

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I use it to look at myself when I'm feeling down

+Quote Post
Sumea
post Mar 4 2011, 06:44 PM
Post #15

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

it really is hard for me to try hats though, sudden plus works somewhat, but Is till read the notechart with very low/no cover and high speed mod - it may be throwback to my ITG days where I made my go to visibility mode into hallway and 4x on most songs.

at moment I at least saw a small progress in my finger including style, as the repeating stairs in first parts of GOLDEN CROSS Hyper chart were a lot easier when hitting the 6+7 button combo with ring finer and middle finger, button 4 with index and last one in "stairs" with left hand index finger.

I still need more practice at scratching and general following of the chart, I still fail GOLDEN CROSS on hyper but it did go way better.

Thanks for all the tips though!

OT: Why do I love the SIRIUS OST so much, I just can't play them on my console and my PC play experience with lunatic rave is so-so...

--------------------

+Quote Post
M30W
post Dec 11 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #16

I'm still an intermediate player but I agree with using Random to improve when you feel stuck. 2 years ago I was kinda passing 8's now I'm kinda passing 9's, and most of that progress happened in the last few months as I started using the random mod. Also going old school and playing the ps1 beatmania games helped out alot, especially with jackhammers. The 5key games have unique challenges like lack of modern mods, and they cram all those notes into six lanes instead of eight.
If you have two controllers try doubles, or if you only have one, try playing one handed. I usually play on the player two side, forcing myself to play on player one side(turntable on left) helped eventually though it was frustrating at first.

Other than that, get copies of the soundtracks and listen to the music while out and about. And always remember to have fun.

*sorry for the bump, I know this is an old thread.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2018 - 07:54 PM