IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> IIDX player interview #3 batman/batfly
Buffalo
post Dec 1 2010, 12:45 AM
Post #1

The Shadow

batfly (batman on the forums) is known mainly for being primarily a bms player and a GM in TGM2+. You can find his youtube channel for bms videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/batfly291

I hope everyone enjoys it even if the interview mainly focuses on an extremely niche part of IIDX.

Velius: how did you get started playing IIDX

batfly: depends on how far back i go, but the short story is i stumbled across some stepmania videos and became impressed beyond belief at the coordination and speed they were able to play at. i think one of the songs were one more lovely . that was the absolute first thing I saw music game wise. i thought the song was awesome, and looked it up, found other IIDX songs.

I ignored the game for a good while, before again stumbling across the simulator SSRMAX if I recall correctly. I tried playing with keyboard. it sucked, and the simulator had all kinds of problems itself. Later I saw videos of it being played as intended, and I wanted to try to play it again more seriously. I ordered a controller some time later, after looking up some information. I started playing on 9th and I couldnt believe how hard it was. I gave up for a bit, before picking it up again with a better mindset and thats the path until now, basically lol

Velius: yeah i remember ssrmax. that thing sucked. was there any local scene for you or did you have to rely on an online community and playing at home?

batfly: there were never any local scene no, im the only one around here that plays, although there have been a few others in this country of course, not sure how many play right now. i havent talked with many of them for a long time but i did before. aside from that, i mainly used vjarmy to sort of "put things in perspective" as far as scores and progress and such. I didn’t want to compare myself to the japanese players aside from the fact that the language made it unapproachable

Velius: one of the things ive been told me was that many of the japanese players play bmses

batfly: yeah haha figures. It’s the only way to prepare for the official games, before they get that hard. even silv played air god like, 2006, and was crazy good at it

Velius: yeah even then the official games still arent as hard as the bmses. fuckin freedom dive ( http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10701462 ) is way harder than mendes black imo

batfly: yeah true 222bpm… that is just a mess

Velius: yeah definitely. Prior to playing IIDX, did you have any music experience?

batfly: no not piano or something like that, although i think ive liked music alot always just in general rhythms and such

Velius: but no instruments?

batfly: no not in any serious way now which i can sort of regret now sometimes

Velius: ah yeah im in the same boat. so did you ever consider picking up an instrument or composing any music after all these years of playing iidx?

batfly: not really picking up an instrument, sadly, but i have tried making some really lame attempts in fl studio and after that sony acid 7 yeah hasnt been going that well, and i havent put alot of effort in to it mostly because I've been busy.

Velius: Could you describe your playstyle?

batfly: haha i hope so, i play P1 obviously (for anyone who has seen a video of me playing or anything), with left hand covering 1=left ring finger, 2=left middle finger, 3=left thumb, 4=right index finger, 5=right thumb, 6=right middle finger, 7=right ring finger. that applies to all situations without scratches

with scratches two differences can occur. I use my pinky on scratch, thumb over 1 and 3, and index on 2 or pinky on scratch, thumb on 1, middle on 2 and index on 3. the latter one is preferred for sure but its hard to force myself to use all the time. only time im sure of doing it is with really ugly rolls on like, 1 and 3

Velius: yeah 1048 style is hard to get use to for sure

batfly: haha yeah its very odd to relearn over a different way
the thumb on 1 and 3 at the same time works okay alot of the time, but some of the worst scratch songs and songs with jacks and scratches at the same time on 1, 2 or 3 are hell

Velius: yeah its very difficult and frustrating which is why i switched playstyles for my left hand

batfly: yeah, my way of playing right now has a frankenstein element to it, of sometimes throwing 1048 into it, but mostly not haha but i get by.

Velius: If you could add or change one thing with your playstyle, what would it be?

batfly: aside from using 1048 100% of the time it would probably be using my left index for key4 sometimes where the chart is comfortably split in a way that would make it preferrable like some mei randoms or nageki

Velius: yeah i agree i think that'd be a very important skill to learn for mei because the randoms for that song are so varied that i think you absolutely have to switch

batfly: haha yeah

Velius: so youre one of the few players that have focused more on bmses than IIDX how did you get started with playing BMSes?

batfly: hmm thats sort of a hard one for me to answer, i actually dont remember when i first started playing the hard ranked ones exactly, but i think the main thing was seeing that guy NA/SAKANA playing air, mirai and those others, in nazo, that was sometime 2007 i think. thats when i found nazo along with some skins. I tried playing some official files, as bms files in nazo, just to try it out since any homemade ones that were included looked like absolute jokes to me at that time lol. after that i started looking at the nazo internet ranking page and seeing how crazy good scores people had up there like air, o-ck and new-wave or whatever he called himself at that ir

i found those complete ranked bms packs on some japanese network, playing them until i adjusted more or less, and kept going. it ended up with me clearing gengaozo god in nazo some long time ago.

after that, i decided that i should try out lunatic rave 2, seeing as it was everywhere in videos and it seemed impressive enough since that time ive just kept playing more or less, slightly improving more over time

Velius: ah so you still actively play even today

batfly: barely right now, due to the same shit mentioned above, and just being generally tired because of that and i wish there was more activity to get me motivated too i guess

Velius: yeah the community is kind of dead everywhere except japan and asia

batfly: it feels like there is an infinite gap between me and HINS and others like him"

Velius: i feel like the gap is that large because theyve put the most time into the game. like on tanmens blog his playcount on mei was like 700 and thats not counting cs or other ac styles. That’s alot of money spent and alot of time. He also had several other songs that were over a couple hundred plays as well

well i guess since we're on this discussion, what song have you played the most and what would you estimate your playcount to be?
it can be IIDX or BMS

batfly: hmm pretty hard to answer i think, but it should probably be nageki or its bms equivalent with those slightly different sounds, but it’s the exact same chart. number of plays hmm added up, maybe 1000? that might be underselling it by a bit, really not sure haha

Velius: ah my mei play count now is probably like 400+. this isnt including restarts which in case would probably put it well over the 1000s. ack

What are some of your most memorable milestones in IIDX?

batfly: only the official games? hmm, first nageki hard clear, mei AA for sure

Velius: nah it doesnt have to be official

batfly: i guess its a milestone sort of, but still not, but the one where i lost combo like 2 notes from the end of blue rain black. that was a good one lmao

AAA 90%+ on the lvl18 rated happy hyper starmix or whatever was a big one ( http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8389366 )

first hard clear lvl16 going on -spring wind- 29another after being tempted into beating it after watching syzphonic's video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5lsxtBWTkU )

Velius: AAAing Mei [a] is considered by many to be the pinnacle achievement and has yet to be done by the English speaking IIDX community. Do you believe someone will eventually do it?

batfly: does schala still play? Haha. no but hmm, i actually doubt it. i would think it would either take crazy levels of obsession, or an extreme spark of competativeness, none of which i think are there for anyone outside japan now

Velius: yeah i would have to agree. if we just play every now and then every couple months or w/e i dont think mei [a] will ever be aaaed

batfly: nah absolutely not, requires such fine tuned precision. it cant be done that way

Velius: alot of top english speaking players (without naming any names) give up on playing bmses thinking theyre too hard or theyre too bs
do you have any advice for them?

batfly: hmm, not really sure, maybe just try playing bmses for which they really love the music, that tends to help motivating you and treat it like a slightly different game

the hands and fingers has to make alot smaller movements in alot of charts. otherwise it cant work

that usually works itself out when you’re motivated of course, thats the way it worked for me and im in no way close to the level of play some people are but thats the main thing i think… and to remember how much the top level players must have played throughout the years to get to where they are.

Velius: yeah bmses is something that hasnt really caught on for the upper and top players on SSS which is the complete opposite in japan

batfly: yeah sort of strange to me, not sure what the reasons can be

Velius: speaking of which you prefer playing bmses over official IIDX. can you explain why

batfly: primarily the amount of charts to choose from at a given level and alot of the songs are awesome i think, music wise. it does have drawbacks like, timing, input lag, etc

Velius: yeah a usb adapter is unfortunately not perfect and parallel adapters arent made anymore to my knowledge. you have to build your own now
in your prime, how long did you play IIDX or BMSes for per day

batfly: some rare days maybe a 2-3 hours, but mostly just 1-1,5 hour probably, often split into a couple of segments throughout an evening or afternoon

Velius: ah i see. i played around the same amount

In a game like IIDX, getting extremely frustrated is only natural. Could you tell us a bit about the times you have been frustrated with playing IIDX and how you dealt with it?

batfly: frustration is relatively rare for me when it comes to games, but i have had it absolutely

I cant recall any specific times its been horrible or anything though but when it happened, i usually just walk away from the tv or computer. if the weather is okay i would probably step outside for a bit until the frustration fades away. That usually does it

Velius: taking a walk has been something im hearin alot

batfly: yeah, thats one way, makes it feel alot less significant

Velius: Were there any players that inspired you when you were playing?

batfly: anyone better than me that i saw inspired me to get better in general, but yeah, there were other aspects, just being in complete awe over the amazing playstyles and general perfection of gameplay. people like DOLCE (mostly the cs videos ironically), HINS, air, JOHN.S, SILV can all be counted

Velius: ah yeah i remember JOHN.S. i wonder if hes still around

batfly: yeah i dont know, the blog was gone one day out of nowhere, and some videos made fun of that i think. where they had videos with hand view of many players. there were sometimes a field for "JOHN.S" with a 'funny' picture. i could never really decipher it

Velius: lol well maybe i can ask someone who knows japanese

alright i guess this is my last question and then any closing remarks you would like to add if you want. do you have any regrets playing IIDX?

batfly: hmm…

it didnt add to my social life probably. i didnt start playing 1048 early enough and i dont live in japan where it could be more of a social activity or that it cant be a more social activity here.

Velius: i think alot of players who dont live near any arcades would probably agree that what makes IIDX fun is making it a social activity with other players
i think it just adds alot more to the game. just playing by yourself isnt very fun imo

batfly: yeah. For IIDX to be a challenge as well as a way to "hang out"i guess would be the best.

Velius: yeah definitely

is there anything you would like to add before the interview is over

batfly: not really sure, possibly a thanks to anyone who helped me out with IIDX, and a hopeful wish that something positive comes.

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
over there
post Dec 1 2010, 01:32 AM
Post #2

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I'm surprised how much the interviewees have in common so far, this is pretty cool. Also:
Mei -- 3
Non-Japanese -- 0

Maybe someone will say it's possible, I think everyone so far (correct me if limey said otherwise but I thought not) has said Krystal might have been able to do it but that's pretty much the extent of it haha. I do like how the players want a scene though, with more people able to play and willing to compete scores could definitely get better and we'd get closer to a Mei [a] AAA.

+Quote Post
Fungi
post Dec 1 2010, 01:43 AM
Post #3

Candy Galy

DJ Battle This User

The network aspect of AC IIDX definitely prevents the game from getting too solo in Japan. Technically S3 should be the replacement, but there is that part where the game itself isn't linked to the network directly.

I wonder how eager PS3 owners would be to try out IIDX if a new CS game+controller came out for it.

+Quote Post
m335h73r
post Dec 1 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #4

Roll for Tier

DJ Battle This User

I'm surprised by the cynicism of the big players regarding the mei AAA.

I was expecting a "yeah it could possibly happen, eventually" answer over a definitive "no"

--------------------

+Quote Post
over there
post Dec 1 2010, 02:06 AM
Post #5

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (m335h73r @ Dec 1 2010, 01:51 AM) *

I was expecting a "yeah it could possibly happen, eventually" answer over a definitive "no"

Well I dunno about the others but I hope someone proves me wrong.

+Quote Post
m335h73r
post Dec 1 2010, 02:23 AM
Post #6

Roll for Tier

DJ Battle This User

expect that answer if I'm ever interviewed

--------------------

+Quote Post
batman
post Dec 1 2010, 03:24 AM
Post #7

Dazzlin' Darlin

The editing done to change the 'line-after-line' format to one easier to read seems to have been compromised slightly in some parts largely thanks to the way I have written. I hope my intended meaning shines through anyway.

Also this was probably not that interesting maybe, for which I apologize. Then again, it might just be paranoia on my part.

I would be happy to do a v2 or Second Edition of some kind if anyone wants answers to something that wasn't clear or covered at all.

Regarding mei[A] AAA, I would really be happy for anyone doing it, and I hope in that case that my doubt (and others) inspire an "I'll show them!" attitude which helps, haha.

I hope more of you try BMS if the games are less interesting because of song selection or hitting walls or whatever. It does help, I promise.

Thanks, thats it for now.

I do hope I can get my focus back together enough to do another gameplay video of some kind later on. It will probably happen.

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Dec 1 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #8

The Shadow

Hey, don't beat yourself up. I think you did great for someone who's secondary language is English. I know how hard it is to communicate effectively in a secondary language even with years of experience.

Thanks again

--------------------

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post Dec 1 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #9

they keep referring to me as that

whatever exag0n will totally AAA mei after playing it 8,000 times

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

Others opt to refer to it by its ORIGINAL NAME

+Quote Post
m335h73r
post Dec 1 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #10

Roll for Tier

DJ Battle This User

I'll totally AAA mei.

With a game genie.

They still make those, right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trip Machina
post Dec 2 2010, 02:28 AM
Post #11

The Shadow

Hmm, this interview was kinda discouraging...BMS over CS, 1-1.5 hours play, interest lost due to social preference, etc. =/

--------------------
All you DDRist's, try Trip Machine with the bass turned up!!

+Quote Post
over there
post Dec 2 2010, 03:21 AM
Post #12

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (Trip Machina @ Dec 2 2010, 03:28 AM) *
Hmm, this interview was kinda discouraging...BMS over CS, 1-1.5 hours play, interest lost due to social preference, etc. =/

I didn't think so, I thought it was very informative and interesting. The community is dying and a lot of people go with it, there's nothing you can really do about that but regenerate interest and these interviews will hopefully give people a little interest.

+Quote Post
dj FU
post Dec 2 2010, 03:59 AM
Post #13

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

So batman plays IIDX since like 3 years right ? About the BMSes, the interview encourages me to start but I've always been disappointed by the lag on PC.
I'm hitting a wall where I can't raise my EXscore on nageki (and the others hard 12s) since 100 playcounts and seriously think about stopping CS for a few weeks and getting married with BMSes.

+Quote Post
linus
post Dec 2 2010, 04:54 AM
Post #14

Tranoid

There is nothing bad about playing bms over CS. If you are interested enough to keep playing bms, when you eventually get arcade or a new CS release you will play it anyway.

--------------------
TRANの真の敵はTatsh

Q: Tatsh is the real enemy of Tran, why?

A: THE DIRTY OF LOUDNESS

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Dec 2 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #15

The Shadow

QUOTE (Trip Machina @ Dec 2 2010, 03:28 AM) *

times are tough now man

people have way more responsibilities that take priority over iidx

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Dec 2 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #16

I♥prat fall

batfly you should totally message me on aim (qxvg) so I can say hi and ask you questions about finger movementttt

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
Toph
post Dec 2 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #17

No Mayoi No Life

From: *̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌l̡*

QUOTE (m335h73r @ Nov 30 2010, 09:51 PM) *

an american is never going to do it, lol. ever. you have no idea how hard it is. in america you're hot shit if you can even AA it. and i'm not saying this like, oh japan is so much better than america - for 98% of serious japanese players, and that includes like 8-dans, 9-dans, 10-dans, and even kaidens, AAing mei another is still utterly ridiculous. AAA on mei another is like... nonhuman lol. the fact that schala hasn't done it is proof enough that it's never going to be done.

that said, if derek came to japan for a month he'd probably do it lol

--------------------
溶け出せばどんくらいの世界が spread out?
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1172326

+Quote Post
Krelian
post Dec 3 2010, 12:40 AM
Post #18

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

What about HCing mei?

--------------------

I have now Hard Cleared Himiko with my own hands!

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post Dec 3 2010, 12:45 AM
Post #19

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

I sort of agree with Toph at the seeming impossibility of Mei. You need 1,556 Just Greats, with 444 Greats, at minimum, to AAA it. Correct me if my math is wrong. But yeah, you need a Just Great for three out of every four notes and then some, and it's fucking Mei we're talking about here. You gotta be a machine.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2018 - 01:52 PM