3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> IIDX player interview #1: otaku1313 AKA over there, gabe
Krazy
post Nov 28 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #21

Flesvelka

DJ Battle This User

Yeah reading this really made me kind of realize how much the IIDX scene in America is really dying. Just look at this site nowadays, 3/4 of these forum sections aren't ever used. Even other sites like sows and bms have less activity; it seems like not a lot of people at sows really cares about music games anymore (jus doin druggggs) and bemanistyle doesn't focus as much on bemani anymore and I don't like the userbase.IMO IIDX reached a peak in USA around 2006 and has been heading downhill ever since which is, frankly, depressing.

I'd say the reasons for this could be:
1) No more CS games. Although, even back in 2008-2009 when there were still new CS games, it seemed like with each successive one, the game became less and less popular, and people 'started playing again' for less and less time when each game came out.
2) IIDX CS uses ancient technology. Not many people have CRT TVs anymore, just laggy LCDs/LEDs/plasmas that make playing IIDX impossible. I know many people who have quit just because they don't a TV that works for IIDX, even though they'd like to still play once in a while. Even if a new person wanted to start playing IIDX CS, they most likely wouldn't have the proper TV to do so.
3) No good arcades, except in a select few locations, and even in those places the machine quality is often 'questionable'. I would say arcades are fundamental to establishing the social aspect of the game, which is what has kept a lot of people playing this long (myself included). For example, it's probably not unrelated that TGA in Massachusetts had bowlmanifest in 2006-2007, but then closed at the end of 2008, and ever since the community in this area has been completely stagnating.
4) People grow up and move on (most people, some of us will probably be around forever...). This is fine, but there haven't been enough new players. This is probably a result of (1) and (2) and (3) above, but also could be due to other American music games being created. "Why would I want to pay a dollar to play 3 songs this hard drumming game with gay Jappo music that's obviously a rip-off of Rock Band when I can just play Rock Band? Why are the songs so short? Why am I getting Goods even though I'm hitting the notes?"

Yeah. If you couldn't tell I've been thinking about all this for a while now. I'd like to hope that things can turn around at some point but realistically that won't happen unless a lot of things change.

deep shit
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TJB
post Nov 28 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #22

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Krazy @ Nov 29 2010, 09:43 AM) *
1) No more CS games. Although, even back in 2008-2009 when there were still new CS games, it seemed like with each successive one, the game became less and less popular, and people 'started playing again' for less and less time when each game came out.

Hey this sounds exactly like darqs.

Thanks Velius~ Was very interesting! Also thanks for keeping a frustrated player at the high 12 wall interested in this game with that BMS thread a fair while back <:

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Nov 28 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #23

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (TJB @ Nov 28 2010, 06:47 PM) *
Hey this sounds exactly like darqs.

And me, last time I played seriously was right before/after Empress came out sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ErAseRmoTor maXi...
post Nov 28 2010, 07:32 PM
Post #24

The Shadow

otaku1313: yeah he was shocked i didn't haha. he literally had not heard of anyone who had not played BMSs at my level. well next time we meet he said we'd play CS and BMSs so that might have to wait a little to flesh out

jeez

so do all the best AC players just not talk about bms at all or something, on that bms ranking site the only players I recognize that are really good at AC are hins and kisai. and fox but I'm pretty sure he only plays CS. also wadl-d

+Quote Post
spineshark
post Nov 28 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #25

I like back.

DJ Battle This User

Good stuff.

Also I approve of Happy Wedding and kigonshu shoutouts. Kinda funny that kigonshu is so disliked but I'm not really that surprised, it's definitely pretty fucked up.

+Quote Post
over there
post Nov 28 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #26

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (ErAseRmoTor maXimUM @ Nov 28 2010, 07:32 PM) *
jeez

so do all the best AC players just not talk about bms at all or something, on that bms ranking site the only players I recognize that are really good at AC are hins and kisai. and fox but I'm pretty sure he only plays CS. also wadl-d

I think part of it also stems from the feeling that they're not good enough to use the IR sites and such, especially when several people are at the point of passing overjoy stuff, little hearts god, etc. They just don't want to be embarrassed by a low failing AA on Mei afo bms or something when the rankings are full of higher grades with far less CBs and hard clears. Not to mention they play officials to practice officials when they can't clear one specific song, so they don't play Air maniaq bms to practice shakunetsu or help me erin to practice himiko, they just play a bms with the official chart for what they need to clear. Those hard bmss are really just used for practice when you are looking for better scores on everything or more dexterity in general.

+Quote Post
Fake-ass John Tr...
post Nov 28 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #27

betty spaghetti

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Buffalo @ Nov 28 2010, 09:25 AM) *
Thanks everyone for the support! I wasn't sure how well received these interviews would be.

Im not sure how I would get in contact with sars when he's banned from the forum now. Plus he's already been interviewed on the dogfaceshow lol.

I can possibly contact him on Facebook, but I highly doubt he would do the interview because he won't even play at Gemini in our local weekly rankings because "playing on an offsync machine isn't his party". I guess I could give it a shot if you really wanted though.

+Quote Post
Mazrim
post Nov 28 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #28

SPACE FIGHT

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (Krazy @ Nov 28 2010, 03:43 PM) *
2) IIDX CS uses ancient technology. Not many people have CRT TVs anymore, just laggy LCDs/LEDs/plasmas that make playing IIDX impossible. I know many people who have quit just because they don't a TV that works for IIDX, even though they'd like to still play once in a while. Even if a new person wanted to start playing IIDX CS, they most likely wouldn't have the proper TV to do so.

I just bought a TV stand today so I could play my old CRT TV again for IIDX, haha. It's been like 8 months since I last played, and I miss it.

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Nov 29 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #29

The Shadow

its something i might consider if i decide to do a 2nd round of interviews

i just want to focus on finishing these batch of interviews (I have 5 done and 2 more that i have not done yet)

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Nov 29 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #30

I♥prat fall

interesting japan section :>

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
Toph
post Nov 29 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #31

No Mayoi No Life

From: *̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌l̡*

QUOTE (Krazy @ Nov 28 2010, 01:43 PM) *

tbqh this is hardly relevant. For example, SSBM (my main game now) is really big in america still (like as big as it's ever been, pretty much) and so is Brawl for that matter, and as any fighting game player who isn't playing SF4 or BB etc. (aka a new generation fighter) will tell you, CRT is essential...

The main reasons are the lack of new games, both console and arcade (because there are no arcades in America). IIDX just isn't a "worthwhile" game to get into anymore. And frankly the competition in America sucks LOL. I'm only ever motivated in Hawaii because of how awesome Derek is, and sometimes I get inspired in Seattle when I see CHKN do things like 96% Golden Cross [a] but that's about it.

and no lol, people talk about bms all the time. I've had good conversations about Gengaozo Foon in japan.

Basically, most japanese people are like how I was when I joined VJA - they don't post hundreds of scores, they only care about their best ones, and they care more about personal improvement than chatting about what kors k has been up to lately with other people. So I actually find it really easy to relate to people over here LOL. My only gripe is that sometimes iidx is a pretty antisocial game; to me, it's boring to just play without having anybody to socialize with.

--------------------
溶け出せばどんくらいの世界が spread out?
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1172326

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post Nov 29 2010, 12:58 AM
Post #32

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

When did sars get banned? He has an AIM account so that's another option I suppose.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Nov 29 2010, 01:06 AM
Post #33

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (DanAdamKOF @ Nov 29 2010, 12:58 AM) *
When did sars get banned?

http://forum.solidstatesquad.com/index.php?showtopic=7547

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fake-ass John Tr...
post Nov 29 2010, 03:00 AM
Post #34

betty spaghetti

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Toph @ Nov 28 2010, 09:52 PM) *
The main reasons are the lack of new games, both console and arcade (because there are no arcades in America). IIDX just isn't a "worthwhile" game to get into anymore. And frankly the competition in America sucks LOL. I'm only ever motivated in Hawaii because of how awesome Derek is, and sometimes I get inspired in Seattle when I see CHKN do things like 96% Golden Cross [a] but that's about it.

I wish there was more competition hoenstly. The entire time i've progressed i've always had issues trying to find people to rival with. They're either way beyond my level or below it. I do remember when I saw Audity's videos of DD nearly 2 years ago it got me to start working on 11s more lol

+Quote Post
Theoretically Ga...
post Nov 29 2010, 03:11 AM
Post #35

Tranoid

QUOTE (Toph @ Nov 29 2010, 12:52 AM) *
And frankly the competition in America sucks LOL.

This right here is why alot of people (or at least me) stop playing games. People are social creatures, and if you can't do some activity/engage with other people, you'll stop doing it (unless you're some loner weirdo).

IIDX is only in a handful of US arcades, it has no proper console release here; as far as we care it practically doesn't exist, so why would anyone put time into getting good at it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fake-ass John Tr...
post Nov 29 2010, 03:14 AM
Post #36

betty spaghetti

DJ Battle This User

To make up for it in the US we would need some sort of online competition. Sigma's Weekly Ranbats are a step in the right direction and more people should join.

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post Nov 29 2010, 03:15 AM
Post #37

they keep referring to me as that

QUOTE (灼熱 @ Nov 28 2010, 08:39 PM) *
I can possibly contact him on Facebook, but I highly doubt he would do the interview because he won't even play at Gemini in our local weekly rankings because "playing on an offsync machine isn't his party".

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

Others opt to refer to it by its ORIGINAL NAME

+Quote Post
Fake-ass John Tr...
post Nov 29 2010, 03:22 AM
Post #38

betty spaghetti

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (Junglist King @ Nov 29 2010, 12:15 AM) *
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah he actually kept getting annoyed that he was still receiving messages about it. It was kinda funny

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post Nov 29 2010, 05:41 AM
Post #39

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (chotto kiitena @ Nov 29 2010, 12:06 AM) *

Oh haha damn, I saw that thread but I didn't know it did him in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smbu
post Nov 29 2010, 05:49 AM
Post #40

Tranoid

Nice interview, thanks for the interesting read. smile.gif

Around here it seems kind of split on the CRT/Plasma selection. At the arcade I go to (with both machines) the Plasma does seem to be slightly more popular all around.

--------------------
My Pop'n List

President of the SuPa |L�| Fanclub! Oh, YEAH!!!1
QUOTE (Amadeus)
U JUST GOT SHUNZZIED BIZOTCH! :O

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th February 2018 - 05:29 AM