Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Analog turntable from KOC, will this work?, For use with PC
DanAdamKOF
post Aug 24 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #1

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

Long story short I want to dualmod my USKOC for PS2/USB. Doing the buttons will be easy (I'll hack a USB gamepad), but I want analog turntable output.

My idea for the turntable is to get a USB ball mouse and wire the rotary encoder sensors on the turntable to an axis on the mouse. Would that work? Ball mice basically read a little wheel spinning around when you push the mouse, and send out a signal with the direction of movement and velocity. That little wheel is basically how the KOC's turntable works, except the analog signal gets converted to a digital pulse, for either right or left movement. I'd also wire the turntable's pulses to buttons on the gamepad for legacy use (I don't know if DJ Max Trilogy supports mouse input for example).

Correct me if I'm wrong. And I'm open to other ideas, but this is the simplest and quickest implementation that I can think of. Ideally I'd make my own USB I/O device on a small PCB but I don't think I'm up to learning microcontrollers and PCB fabbing for something that can be done with off-the-shelf parts.

Also Toph if you're reading this, sorry I took a while to get around to this, but once I pull it off my offer is still on the table smile.gif

edit: This looks promising! http://web.archive.org/web/20010226145756/...a/happshack.htm Basically the same concept except not with a trackball of course

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BLUST OF WIND
post Aug 25 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #2

The Shadow

Sounds awesome!

I think a trackball might be more promising, since they move smoother than ball mice and are more responsive.

--------------------
<Eijiken> Beggars can't exactly be choosers you know.
<a_40_oz_for_breakfast> Beggers can be niggers though
<a_40_oz_for_breakfast> :>

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post Aug 25 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #3

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

well the movement of the mouse doesn't really matter, we're not using any mechanical part of it at all.

I basically have this figured out, I just bought a bunch of ball mice and I found a good source for USB controllers, this is going down soon. Once I verify that it works I'll offer to do it for anyone, I'll post about it in Mint when that happens.

--------------------

+Quote Post
over there
post Aug 25 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #4

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Trackballs are probably a better idea if you can fit it in there, since they aren't rubber and won't gather disgusting amounts of dead skin, dirt, grime, and dust.

+Quote Post
DanAdamKOF
post Aug 25 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #5

The Shadow

DJ Battle This User

That's not really what I'm doing. I'm using the existing sensor for the turntable wired directly to the mouse, bypassing the mouse's existing mechanics.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2018 - 10:31 PM