2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 98%, the elusive AAAA, Such a pain in the ass to achieve
waffles
post Dec 21 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #1

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

It seems as if one has a maximum note-precision at any given time - given a very well understood, easy string of notes, an EX%age they're likely to get. A while back I got to the point where I could regularly get 95%s. I've got about 60 of them. Recently I got my 3rd AAAA, and got really close to a fourth.

To the few lunatics on this site capable of getting numerous AAAAs, how do you recommend getting yourself there? Strike the keys faster and harder? More deliberately? Play individual songs a pile of times to work up the EX and then move on? Or jump around between many songs, playing only like once or twice per song at a time?

Probably getting 98%s will just eventually come naturally, just like 95%s have to an extent, and AAAs have, and AAs, as my timing has gotten tighter and tighter. I just figure gameplay discussion threads cant do any harm =)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Dec 21 2009, 05:01 AM
Post #2

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I'm guessing the secret is to get more flashing greats and less of everything else, but I haven't actually done it myself so take my speculation with a grain of salt I guess

--------------------

+Quote Post
waffles
post Dec 21 2009, 05:08 AM
Post #3

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

Because god forbid someone talk about gameplay/improvement on the section of the site devoted to that subject.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chotto kiitena
post Dec 21 2009, 07:42 AM
Post #4

INFERNO

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

I didn't say you couldn't btns.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fungi
post Dec 21 2009, 07:43 AM
Post #5

Candy Galy

DJ Battle This User

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it has to do with reaction time and hand motion time, like getting the (see notes fall down) -> (process) -> (begin motion) -> (hit key) progression down pat, so basically practice?
It's definitely easier to time if your ability to hit everything is higher than the song you're trying to score on, then you can focus on timings for the entire song (including short bursts of higher density like fills etc). This also relates to finger motions; if you know exactly what to hit you won't be struggling to actually hit it and can instead do the proper motion you know and use to time it right.
Obviously my max scoring ability isn't at AAAA but I don't think there's anything special in particular about perfecting timing. Logically it seems like a good idea to find that *perfect* high speed that lets you react to every note for perfect timing. Playing a song over might make you lose concentration after a few times.

tl;dr I'm just rambling

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Dec 21 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #6

I♥prat fall

play lots of songs that are hard for you and you'll get better!

the longer the iidx session, the faster you improve. playing 5 songs a day won't get you anywhere

--------------------
[21:17:43] <+Jadin> sry I fell asleep making spaghetti

+Quote Post
over there
post Dec 21 2009, 09:06 AM
Post #7

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (Jadin @ Dec 21 2009, 08:05 AM) *
the longer the iidx session, the faster you improve. playing 5 songs a day won't get you anywhere

I don't agree with Jadin's first point for this particular purpose, but what I quoted here is extremely important. The longer the playtime and the more often, the better the improvement.

I was exactly like you when 98%s were first added to the site, and I said the same things (how is that possible, I don't even have but 2 97s, etc.). 3 or 4 styles later and I'm 98%ing like 1/4 of the Normals or so on my best scores. Honestly, I think it's come from playing every song on every difficulty obsessively and having a specific goal in mind for each song. I've even gone through Premium Best completely disregarding that I had all ready AAAd and full comboed EVERY SONG on Normal on it before, and all but 3 on Hyper.

I don't always beat my best score, but if I get a score like 1950 EX on waxing and wanding hyper (high 97%), I'll try many many times (up to like 5 or 6 usually, or until I get a really good random) to 98% it. Then I can manage stuff like http://iidx.solidstatesquad.com/viewsong.p...=648&mode=7 and be happy with it.

Basically, just keep playing everything you can. I don't think hard songs are going to help you as much as obsessively playing easy songs in this case, but it will get you better.

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Dec 21 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #8

I♥prat fall

comparing gabe's advice to my advice is like comparing doing sit-ups to Grant Higa's Total Body Workout.

the point is if you can 98% some easy songs 7*s and under, but not stuff like 8s-11s, then working on getting your fingers faster and stronger will be a better use of your 'practice time' instead of playing easy songs that only help with timing. if you just play easy stuff forever you'll end up more like y13 or whoever that guy was, basically only able to beast easy songs.

people like schala can have up to 100% precision 'at any given time' but I usually max out at around 99, and anything over that is just luck. That number is more like your base timing ability like you mentioned in the first sentence. The more the chart has stuff like stream/jacks/chords/rolls/gracenotes/scratches, those difficulties will keep dragging your EX score down regardless of your timing ability. Schala worked on scratches a lot so she'll 98% something like digitank system (only losing 2% from her MAX ability) while I'll probably get like 92% (losing more like 6%). So I need to work on scratches more than my timing.

Example: If you can AAA sweet lab L7 but not 7k or [a], then you just need to work on scratches and a little bit of jacks. Instead of playing sweet lab 7k over and over, why not play some hard scratch songs like CYO, Watch out, or Wonder Bullfighter on another? By playing these, you'll also work on getting better at other aspects of iidx, like grace notes, hitting streams while scratching, or tempo changes. Plus your timing will get better anyway as long as you're trying to get flashing greats... Then after some months of playing harder things with scratches, you'll come to sweet lab and it'll be easy and you'll have fun racking up the AAAs one by one much more quickly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
over there
post Dec 21 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #9

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE (Jadin @ Dec 21 2009, 12:17 PM) *
comparing gabe's advice to my advice is like comparing doing sit-ups to Grant Higa's Total Body Workout.

the point is if you can 98% some easy songs 7*s and under, but not stuff like 8s-11s, then working on getting your fingers faster and stronger will be a better use of your 'practice time' instead of playing easy songs that only help with timing. if you just play easy stuff forever you'll end up more like y13 or whoever that guy was, basically only able to beast easy songs.

people like schala can have up to 100% precision 'at any given time' but I usually max out at around 99, and anything over that is just luck. That number is more like your base timing ability like you mentioned in the first sentence. The more the chart has stuff like stream/jacks/chords/rolls/gracenotes/scratches, those difficulties will keep dragging your EX score down regardless of your timing ability. Schala worked on scratches a lot so she'll 98% something like digitank system (only losing 2% from her MAX ability) while I'll probably get like 92% (losing more like 6%). So I need to work on scratches more than my timing.

Example: If you can AAA sweet lab L7 but not 7k or [a], then you just need to work on scratches and a little bit of jacks. Instead of playing sweet lab 7k over and over, why not play some hard scratch songs like CYO, Watch out, or Wonder Bullfighter on another? By playing these, you'll also work on getting better at other aspects of iidx, like grace notes, hitting streams while scratching, or tempo changes. Plus your timing will get better anyway as long as you're trying to get flashing greats... Then after some months of playing harder things with scratches, you'll come to sweet lab and it'll be easy and you'll have fun racking up the AAAs one by one much more quickly.

TBH Jadin I thought you were talking about playing note-heavy crap like AA, thunder remix, and b4u remix over and over. What you said here is an interesting point I hadn't thought about helping before, and though I'd still say playing MUSIC TO YOUR HEAD [h] over stoic [a] is going to help working on jackhammers more for score in the short run, eventually you will graduate to playing stoic [a] for practice. It's just like overdoing your first steps into the game in my opinion, don't start off your IIDX life on MENDES [b] when you could try something that you probably couldn't pass that's around a 6 or something, like Fly Above.

+Quote Post
waffles
post Dec 21 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #10

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

Yeah there's definitely different skill returns depending on how 'difficult for you' a chart that you're playing is, and to some extent how effortful your playing is. Somewhat of a sliding scale starting around precision reading and precision hand movement, going towards note reading, finger dexterity, etc, and then continuing on to incomprehensible note reading, power mashing, and forearm strength.

I've found that if I spend a day playing 11s and 12s that I can't pass but don't quite completely flatline, I do make improvements, but doing that has diminished returns as it tends to teach bad habits as well. In any case, there hits a point where it just doesnt do any good other than 'oh look, my hands are broken', but there can be benefits from playing stuff that's extremely difficult for you, but not ridiculously impossible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
m335h73r
post Dec 21 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #11

Roll for Tier

DJ Battle This User

I actually find my skills improve more when I'm playing moderate 11's and harder 10's after warming up with some 8's and 9's. It helps me out alot more in EX when I finally decide to play a hardish 12 or something opposed to when I just spam a ridiculous 12 for that PERFECT RANDOM.

Then again I've gotten 1 98% in my entire time playing this damn game sooooooo

This post has been edited by m335h73r: Dec 21 2009, 01:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jadin
post Dec 21 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #12

I♥prat fall

yeah I remember when my hands would be really sore after playing stuff like spiral galaxy[a], but now I could play that all day. as long as your hands are sore then your fingers are getting stronger, so don't worry about overdoing it :>

--------------------

+Quote Post
Buffalo
post Dec 21 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #13

The Shadow

jam harder
play more

the summary of all of what IIDX really is.

why does this forum exist

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

+Quote Post
spineshark
post Dec 21 2009, 02:16 PM
Post #14

I like back.

DJ Battle This User

Warming up for individual sessions is separate from that sort of overall improvement though. I can't AAA 9's cold, just like I can barely pass any 12s cold. But like 6 months ago I spent 45 minutes just to AAA 5.1.1. normal, now there are a lot of 10s I can AAA with that sort of effort. Like Jadin said, it helps to play harder stuff, since it makes you more confident dealing with easier patterns (especially if it's harder difficulties of the same song). Though I myself only have one 98% either. I don't really care enough to go getting them.

But I did care enough to AAA op. 31 [n] so I dunno. (GOBWS was harder)

+Quote Post
rmz
post Dec 22 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #15

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

You know how you raise a grade from a AA to a AAA?

Just do that same thing, except from a AAA to 98%.

+Quote Post
kevin energy
post Dec 22 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #16

I think happiness is having something to believe in.

you mean I have to buy beatmania us? :((((

--------------------

+Quote Post
darq
post Dec 23 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #17

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

Funily enough i dont agree with warmups...i launch right into black anothers and usually get around -30 points off my old record. I'm gonn take jadins side of this argument and say playing harder stuff makes you time better

--------------------

+Quote Post
over there
post Dec 23 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #18

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

Warm-ups are broken. You'll see someday, they're like Pet Shop in Jojo 2.

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post Dec 23 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #19

they keep referring to me as that

QUOTE (darq @ Dec 23 2009, 06:33 AM) *
Funily enough i dont agree with warmups...i launch right into black anothers and usually get around -30 points off my old record.

I like to warmup with Kaiden or an expert course of hard 12s (fffff, babbybook, mendes, vox up, pretty much any OMES on empress, especially the ones that didnt debut on empress AC)
that's kind of the same thing as what you described...i really wish expert mode allowed black anothers, even if no more than 10 people would ever clear military splash [b] due to mendeus

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

Others opt to refer to it by its ORIGINAL NAME

+Quote Post
BBH
post Dec 24 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #20

Beginning of Life (THE GROUND PULSE MIX)

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (~HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO~ @ Dec 23 2009, 09:57 AM) *
Warm-ups are broken. You'll see someday, they're like Pet Shop in Jojo 2.

REEE HEEE HEEE HEEEE

--------------------
BBH's Waste of Bandwidth - shitty reviews of obscure arcade games

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th February 2018 - 05:29 AM