3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One-handed tips?
Bartz
post Sep 24 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #1

Rising in the Sun

DJ Battle This User

I've been starting to play one-handed (specifically, my right) and I can pretty much pass a lot of 5's now, and I just wanted to see if I could get some tips.

Do I need to just play more?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
therealbong
post Sep 24 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Tranoid

Actually you should play less.

For instance, if you only played one handed once a year, you could see yourself MILES ahead of how good you were before.

Seriously though, gotta tell us more than that before anything useful can be said.

--------------------
The names Bong, James Bong.

<me and friends after watching the new Batman movie>
"Either you die a slut, or you live long enough to find yourself a single mother."

+Quote Post
waffles
post Nov 5 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #3

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

I play one handed or double, and i tend to find myself 'slacking' - using the joints of my fingers to hit keys, being kind of lazy about it. Think of it like when you type. You don't be all lazy and crap and use stupid parts of your hands to hit the keys do you? No, you use the tips and press relatively hard.

Then again, I've only gotten up to 6's or 7's one handed (though i have a bunch of DP 9*'s, which is like two one handedness at the same time).

--------------------

+Quote Post
ErAseRmoTor maXi...
post Nov 5 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #4

The Shadow

QUOTE(waffles @ Nov 5 2008, 11:35 AM) *
I play one handed or double, and i tend to find myself 'slacking' - using the joints of my fingers to hit keys, being kind of lazy about it. Think of it like when you type. You don't be all lazy and crap and use stupid parts of your hands to hit the keys do you? No, you use the tips and press relatively hard.

Then again, I've only gotten up to 6's or 7's one handed (though i have a bunch of DP 9*'s, which is like two one handedness at the same time).

I use my joints when awkward chords come up (5+6, 1+2+3, and 5+6+7 mostly). It's pretty random whether or not I succeed. My finger placement is:

1: Thumb
2: Index
3: Index
4: Middle
5: Ring
6: Ring
7: Pinky

Sometimes I get lazy and also hit 4+5 with only my middle or ring finger instead of both. Rapid scales are also a problem, I'm going to to start using my thumb for both 1 and 2 instead of hitting the keys as they're assigned to my fingers. The chord and scales problem isn't that big of an issue with 8's or 9's, but 90% of 10's kill me.

+Quote Post
CoreyBlaze
post Nov 5 2008, 06:25 PM
Post #5

Dazzlin' Darlin

How convenient, last night I was bored and I gave one-handed play a shot, and it was pretty cool as long as I could handle the songs (I was AAing 3s and 4s, having trouble with 5s and songs with quickier and trickier chords and patterns). My hand was getting tired REALLY fast too, and that was playing dead-easy songs like Inori and I'm for Real, lol.

This post has been edited by CoreyBlaze: Nov 5 2008, 06:25 PM

+Quote Post
therealbong
post Nov 5 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #6

Tranoid

the only time I find myself using my 'joints' a lot is for 5-6 chords.
Usually if its not in the middle of a stream or its not part of some bigger chord, I'll use my thumb for 5 and my ring finger for 6, but for songs that are just hella chordish or anything else, I have to use the 'joint' of my ring finger for 5 and the finger itself for 6. I'm trying to get used to shifting my hand over so my middle finger will use 5 and ring 6 but its hard to adjust for me right now, especially since I don't play that much anymore.

You do want to try to use the tips of your fingers as much as possible just purely so that you strengthen your fingers. In the long run you'll be better off. However, that doesn't mean you should NEVER 'slack'. Sometimes you do have to do awkward things to hit chords or do some scales. I anmitsu a lot as well if I absolutely need to (hello V [a], Kamikaze [a], etc.).

The thing about playing one handed as well, is that it really REALLY helps if can basically concentrate everything on the hand. As in, you know you can read any pattern, you don't get confused by any pattern and you can concentrate solely on hitting the buttons instead of reading. Also, take the time before you play and grind into your head basic chord patterns and scaling. I don't even think when I see a chord, my hand just reacts on its own if for instance I see a 1-2-3-5-7 chord. Especially with the more awkward chords, if you have to think how to do the chord before you hit it then thats something you need to work on.

--------------------

"Either you die a slut, or you live long enough to find yourself a single mother."

+Quote Post
ErAseRmoTor maXi...
post Nov 5 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #7

The Shadow

QUOTE(CoreyBlaze @ Nov 5 2008, 03:25 PM) *
My hand was getting tired REALLY fast too, and that was playing dead-easy songs like Inori and I'm for Real, lol.

Oh man the hand fatigue when I started playing one handed was terrible. I ignored it and played a couple hours every day and let my hand rest on the weekends. Took about a month until it stopped. I don't know if the approach I took was the best but it worked eventually.

+Quote Post
CoreyBlaze
post Nov 6 2008, 08:47 PM
Post #8

Dazzlin' Darlin

Sounds good, I'll give that a try. Time to put my muscly arm to work btns.gif .

+Quote Post
Gramps
post Jan 25 2009, 09:25 PM
Post #9

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

I've cleared everything L7 post-9th except for G2, Gigadelic (probably could clear with more practice), colors (too lazy to learn the rolls) and stoic (probably others I'm forgetting), but I can't clear traces. Is this song especially tough one-handed, or is there some big joke to it, or...? And each time I play it, I do worse. I finish the first play around 60-65%, and just gets worse from there.

This post has been edited by Gramps: Jan 25 2009, 09:28 PM

+Quote Post
waffles
post Jan 25 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #10

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

Welcome to VJA.

First thing that comes to mind: you cleared Sense 2007 L7 and not Colors L7?

Anyway,

No clue about traces, never played it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gramps
post Jan 25 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #11

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

Thanks

Just a normal clear on Sense, but I haven't played it many times though I seriously doubt I could hard clear it and it sucks with no video (and I hate every single song good-cool has ever done.)
Colors gives me problems because I'm generally weak at rolls, but I could probably clear it after some training mode, but I'm too lazy to practice. I'd rather just keep playing No 13 than do that, but traces is something else and I consider it one of the songs (beside stoic) that I can't beat within a day or two of practice.

This post has been edited by Gramps: Jan 25 2009, 10:29 PM

+Quote Post
HAPPY☆ANGEL
post Jan 26 2009, 02:02 AM
Post #12

epic poster

QUOTE (Gramps @ Jan 25 2009, 07:29 PM) *
Just a normal clear on Sense, but I haven't played it many times though I seriously doubt I could hard clear it and it sucks with no video (and I hate every single song good-cool has ever done.)

do you like xepher smile.gif

--------------------
what is my problem with man, you ask?

no.

i ask you, what was man's problem with

+Quote Post
Trip Machina
post Jan 26 2009, 04:20 AM
Post #13

The Shadow

Hey Gramps, of all of the songs that you've listed, stoic [L7] is the toughest. One handing traces [L7] is just a matter of timing awkward offbeats properly; if I remember correctly, there's a brief chord-fest near the end that you need to focus hardest on in order to clear the song...otherwise, you'd fail because that part will either eat you up or spit you out. There's hardly any notes left after that part, so it's pretty much pass/fail after that. Also note that TaQ's notecharts are notorious for being awkward and difficult, so beware and focus really hard on these things. Practice makes per....JUST GREAT! =D

--------------------
All you DDRist's, try Trip Machine with the bass turned up!!

+Quote Post
waffles
post Jan 26 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #14

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

I think I would recommend just moving up to 7key and not worrying about it for a while. There are a couple styles now where I've cleared every 9*, but I still can't pass Gigadelic L7.

--------------------

+Quote Post
therealbong
post Jan 26 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #15

Tranoid

QUOTE (waffles @ Jan 26 2009, 09:14 AM) *
I think I would recommend just moving up to 7key and not worrying about it for a while. There are a couple styles now where I've cleared every 9*, but I still can't pass Gigadelic L7.

DEFINITELY recommend this. its always better to advance to the next difficulty (normal-hyper/hyper-another) than to fret over passing the harder/hardest songs on a difficulty. Plus, when you get stuck on a song I find its always better to just ignore it for a while and play some other stuff because when you try at something for so long you can't concentrate correctly.
Also if you're playing one handed you have to get used to doing multiple stuff while doing the bass beat with your thumb on the 1 key. This happens in a LOT of songs, and there are almost none on L7/normal that do this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gramps
post Jan 26 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #16

Dazzlin' Darlin

DJ Battle This User

Xepher is ok, but I care for neither song nor chart, so I don't play it much.

Trip, why did you bold and color stuff? Anyway, yeah, I can tell I'm just not capable of stoic yet. My hand simply isn't fast enough for the ending. Waffles made me want to try gigadelic, so I'll work on that for a while.

But my trouble with traces is actually the middle. That drops me to 20% if I'm lucky, and the rest of the song is rebuilding bar, which is hard as hell because the song has so many notes and the timing is illogical. I've moved on, and am about to jump into hyper, but I just find it weird that I can clear almost everything, except for a level 6.

Bong, you can 1-hand clear the another for V? What other 12 stars can you do?

+Quote Post
therealbong
post Jan 26 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #17

Tranoid

QUOTE (Gramps @ Jan 26 2009, 07:07 PM) *
Xepher is ok, but I care for neither song nor chart, so I don't play it much.

Trip, why did you bold and color stuff? Anyway, yeah, I can tell I'm just not capable of stoic yet. My hand simply isn't fast enough for the ending. Waffles made me want to try gigadelic, so I'll work on that for a while.

But my trouble with traces is actually the middle. That drops me to 20% if I'm lucky, and the rest of the song is rebuilding bar, which is hard as hell because the song has so many notes and the timing is illogical. I've moved on, and am about to jump into hyper, but I just find it weird that I can clear almost everything, except for a level 6.

Bong, you can 1-hand clear the another for V? What other 12 stars can you do?

o.O when did I say I can one hand clear V [a]. lol Honestly, I'm REALLY close, just have to get a good bar 69 run. I've cleared it in training starting from bar 67.
12's I have cleared though are Innocent Walls 7k, Innocent Walls [a], Please Don't Go [a], Scream Squad [a], Concertino in Blue [a], Blue Mirage [a], Due Tomorrow [a], Gambol [a] (although personally I don't count this song as a 12), One or Eight [a], and Setsugekka [a]. There's quite a few I'm really close to as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Wise Fool
post Jan 27 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #18

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE (Gramps @ Jan 26 2009, 05:07 PM) *
Trip, why did you bold and color stuff?

My guess is that he's not a native english speaker. You'll learn to ignore such folk on internet forums, as they are inherently international.

--------------------
QUOTE(Xythar @ Jul 28 2008, 07:31 PM) *
QUOTE(Toph @ Jul 16 2008, 10:02 PM) *
VgameT has been appointed Honorary Hawaiian by the council.
does he have to renounce his citizenship for it

+Quote Post
waffles
post Jan 28 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #19

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE (The Wise Fool @ Jan 27 2009, 10:09 PM) *
My guess is that he's not a native english speaker. You'll learn to ignore such folk on internet forums, as they are inherently international.

YOU FAIL

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Wise Fool
post Feb 4 2009, 01:03 AM
Post #20

Dazzlin' Darlin

QUOTE (waffles @ Jan 28 2009, 08:31 PM) *

hahahahaha when I realized those were links I was like "oh"

the lefty thing was kind of a joke anyway

EDIT okay so I had forgotten that it was Trip Machina that wrote the "how to masturbate" guide. Everything makes more sense (2007) now and I hope to be more responsible about the application of silly inside jokes reutf8g to beat mania II DX in the future bye

This post has been edited by The Wise Fool: Feb 4 2009, 01:07 AM

--------------------
QUOTE(Xythar @ Jul 28 2008, 07:31 PM) *
QUOTE(Toph @ Jul 16 2008, 10:02 PM) *
VgameT has been appointed Honorary Hawaiian by the council.
does he have to renounce his citizenship for it

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2018 - 09:44 AM