IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1P vs. 2P Preference, Read thread before flaming, it's not what you think.
itsgreylolol
post Oct 7 2007, 01:40 AM
Post #1

I am the end of the world

DJ Battle This User

What side did you start on, and what side do you currently play on?

Ive never tried 2P until today, I tried it on GoldAC, and I was surprised to see I could pass some 6*s (Im around medium 10*s right now on 1P) but I had some issues with anything 1+scratch, or chord+scratch.

Id like some opinions on switching sides, and people who have done it successfully and gotten better from it, because honestly, the keys felt more natural on 2P side, but the scratch gave me more trouble than I anticipated.

Any help/tips/comments/suggestions?

--------------------
All numbers not including EMP+PB
[L7] Left to AAA: 3 (Step Into the New World, Fun, Gambol)
[7k] left to A: 1 (Pluto)
11*s left to clear: 9 (waxing and wanding, tripping contact (remix), The Dirty of Loudness, four pieces of heaven, Blocks, Bleeding Luv, Be OK [b])
12*s Cleared: 5
Ds left in IIDX: 4 (Mendes[b], Icarus[b], four pieces of heaven[b], Mei[a])
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
therealbong
post Oct 7 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #2

Tranoid

Right now I'm trying to learn more on playing 2p side. I've thought about it for the longest time, and tried it a few times casually before but nothing really serious. This is to help strengthen my left hand which is utter garbage. I'm trying more seriously now, because of Totoro's vid of him FC'ing over half of Mei [a] and AAA'ing it.

Months ago when I first was trying it out, I wanted my left hand to basically play the exact same way my right hand plays. Right now, I have (for right hand) index on 4, thumb on 5, middle on 6, and ring/pinky on 7, and I was trying to force my left hand to have the exact same thing except mirrored obviously. So I tried playing 2p side the way I'd normally play 1p side, but it just couldn't click; I'd have my right hand doing what it normally did (the above configuration, and I'd rarely use my left index for 4, and I'd miss a lot of buttons. Also scratching felt uber weird (as you have experienced).

Usually on 1p side, my left thumb will hit the 1 key at the most when scratching (on rare occasions I"ll do S+3 with pinky and thumb). On 2p side, my thumb was all over the place when scratching, sometimes even doing the 4 key. I really wish I could learn how to do that with my left thumb, cause especially for Arcade/ASC play, it will become much more useful and practical. However, I couldn't do any chords worth shit on 2p side when there was a scratch, and at least 2 keys my right hand needed to hit (s+7+6 wouldn't even register for me).

Still, despite all this, it did feel quite natural for my right hand to be doing all this. Perhaps its because I, like most people, am right handed; it only feels natural that our right hand should be doing more. It felt so natural thinking of doing scratches, and doing the easier ones with my right hand. The first BM I ever played was 5th mix (aka not IIDX) although I never really played that much, and predominantly played one handed either left or right handed (i'd cross my arms for right handed play).

In any case, I can't see learning how to play both sides hurting you when playing this game. As you become better on one side, you learn how to use your hand/fingers more for different keys. Right now on 1p side my entire right hand can hit any key any time off of instinct and often I really will. My left hand can only do the left most 3 keys that way, and if I REALLY think hard enough, I can use my index to hit 4 on easier stuff. If I am able to get as good on 2p side as 1p side, or even just up to the point I can beat decent 12's it would help my left hand more become familiar with the pad.

*re-read your post*...you tried it on Gold AC...I hate you for living close to a machine sad.gif lol.

--------------------
The names Bong, James Bong.

<me and friends after watching the new Batman movie>
"Either you die a slut, or you live long enough to find yourself a single mother."

+Quote Post
darq
post Oct 7 2007, 02:41 AM
Post #3

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

with m persoal experience the side you play on does change alot. The fact that most of the really good players play on the riht side merely illustates the fact that alot of them played the origional game and went through the transition with the scratch being on the right side. I used to play the origional Beatmania and found it kinda hard switching to the player 1 side. But overall i found that it was the side i was more comftorble on. Reason being that my right hand is alot stronger than my left which is weird seeing as i'm left handed...

Honeslt i havent looked into switching sides at any point in my timeplaying and i dont plan to. Maybe for doubles to increase my left hand strength but apart from that not a hell of alot else tmotivates me to switch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kevin energy
post Oct 7 2007, 06:08 AM
Post #4

I think happiness is having something to believe in.

I don't understand why anyone would play on the 2p side.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DROP
post Oct 7 2007, 11:11 AM
Post #5

HEY RADIES ;)

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(VgameT @ Oct 7 2007, 07:08 AM) *
I don't understand why anyone would play on the 2p side.

WOW!!!!

I always play on the 1P side.
Maybe it has to do with being right-handed, but I would do absolutely horrible scratching on the right.
It's the weirdest fucking thing though, all you do is put the turntable on the other side and your hands are like WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!!

--------------------
QUOTE (Newcastle Legions @ Oct 27 2010, 06:40 AM) *
a good father doesn't play japanese games

All you DDRist's, try Trip Machine with the bass turned up!!

+Quote Post
itsgreylolol
post Oct 7 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #6

DJ Battle This User

Actually, I should have specified, GoldAC on my computer. I live nowhere near a machine, you can hold your jealousy at bay =p

--------------------
11*s left to clear: 9 (waxing and wanding, tripping contact (remix), The Dirty of Loudness, four pieces of heaven, Blocks, Bleeding Luv, Be OK [b])

+Quote Post
JonnyD
post Oct 7 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #7

Gobble

I've tried the 2P side a couple times. I can see the advantage of having the scratch on my dominant side, but giving the majority of the keys to my left side is a bad idea. Patterns like 147S ruined me because I'm used to hitting 47 with my right hand.

I think what's left for me to do is not enough to warrant me changing sides.

+Quote Post
Marlie Tang
post Oct 7 2007, 01:00 PM
Post #8

To See a Butterfly

Without typing a whole lot, scratching with dominant hand isn't really a good idea. I play 2P side because my left hand is used to doing 1-5. It's fun to mess around with 1P and play scratchy songs, but scores are generally -250 or more.

+Quote Post
Flowers for Albi...
post Oct 7 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #9

Tranoid

DJ Battle This User

I started with 5-Key BM right side, but switched to left the second I got IIDX. No, I don't know either.

--------------------
Hiroshi Watanabe

+Quote Post
Yasserr
post Oct 8 2007, 01:58 AM
Post #10

Rising in the Sun

QUOTE(therealbong @ Oct 7 2007, 03:36 AM) *
Right now I'm trying to learn more on playing 2p side. I've thought about it for the longest time, and tried it a few times casually before but nothing really serious. This is to help strengthen my left hand which is utter garbage. I'm trying more seriously now, because of Totoro's vid of him FC'ing over half of Mei [a] and AAA'ing it.

Months ago when I first was trying it out, I wanted my left hand to basically play the exact same way my right hand plays. Right now, I have (for right hand) index on 4, thumb on 5, middle on 6, and ring/pinky on 7, and I was trying to force my left hand to have the exact same thing except mirrored obviously. So I tried playing 2p side the way I'd normally play 1p side, but it just couldn't click; I'd have my right hand doing what it normally did (the above configuration, and I'd rarely use my left index for 4, and I'd miss a lot of buttons. Also scratching felt uber weird (as you have experienced).

Usually on 1p side, my left thumb will hit the 1 key at the most when scratching (on rare occasions I"ll do S+3 with pinky and thumb). On 2p side, my thumb was all over the place when scratching, sometimes even doing the 4 key. I really wish I could learn how to do that with my left thumb, cause especially for Arcade/ASC play, it will become much more useful and practical. However, I couldn't do any chords worth shit on 2p side when there was a scratch, and at least 2 keys my right hand needed to hit (s+7+6 wouldn't even register for me).

Still, despite all this, it did feel quite natural for my right hand to be doing all this. Perhaps its because I, like most people, am right handed; it only feels natural that our right hand should be doing more. It felt so natural thinking of doing scratches, and doing the easier ones with my right hand. The first BM I ever played was 5th mix (aka not IIDX) although I never really played that much, and predominantly played one handed either left or right handed (i'd cross my arms for right handed play).

In any case, I can't see learning how to play both sides hurting you when playing this game. As you become better on one side, you learn how to use your hand/fingers more for different keys. Right now on 1p side my entire right hand can hit any key any time off of instinct and often I really will. My left hand can only do the left most 3 keys that way, and if I REALLY think hard enough, I can use my index to hit 4 on easier stuff. If I am able to get as good on 2p side as 1p side, or even just up to the point I can beat decent 12's it would help my left hand more become familiar with the pad.

*re-read your post*...you tried it on Gold AC...I hate you for living close to a machine sad.gif lol.

i was JUST talking to someone about that. the way i play is thumb 1 middle 2 index 3 right index 4. but lately ive been playing a lot of random and i realized my score depends a lot on the amount of keys my right index is hitting. i then realized that if my left index was hitting the 4 key sometimes, it would help a lot with those assy rolls. but if both my indexes are fighting for the 4 key, my scratch+1 hitting would be impossible. so, with this "mirroring hands" aspect, i would have both my rings, thumbs middle ets in the same position on both sides, while implementing my style of thumb on 1+scratch. i think this mirroring idea is a good new direction for me cos i do 5 7 rolls just fine with my ring and thumb on right hand and shit like that, but sometimes (with my left hand) ill nail a 1 2 roll but totally FUCKING BOMB an easy 1-3 roll or 1-3-1-2-1-3-1-2 pattern. but yea i might need to switch sides or something i want more left hand power for scratch+123 patterns n shit. i need to know this controller with every finger in every way, cos something tells me my left hand has waayy more potential aaa.gif aaa.gif aaa.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lilina
post Oct 8 2007, 07:09 AM
Post #11

Evergreen

I must be one of the weird people here; I'm right-handed, and I always play on the 2P side.

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post Oct 10 2007, 06:04 PM
Post #12

they keep referring to me as that

I started on the 1P side before I seriously started playing since I played at the arcade sometimes and mostly played on keyboard (I must have played LOVE IS ORANGE 7k like 20 times in a row some days, never passed it though because of 16ths and chords at the end) I guess that helped because I needed to get used to hitting keys, so scratching being designated to my left hand was better. As soon as I got a KOC and 8th CS I started playing on the 2P side. I think. I like having control of the turntable with my right hand but it's really disorienting for songs like Innocent Walls where you have lots of crap on 5-7 with numerous scratches. Oh well, anything can be surmounted with practice!

As for your situation, if you really wanna switch sides then just play easy songs with lots of basic scratches; just find some song with lots of 4th or 8th scratches and play it until you're more comfortable with the 2P side turntable. Maybe Cheer Train L7, Rakuen L7 or 7k, Blue Mirage L7 or 7k, SCREAM SQUAD L7, 5PM ETERNAL on any difficulty, Kakumei L7, and Setsugekka L7, those have enough scratches to be good practice. HOPE THIS HELPS~

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

Others opt to refer to it by its ORIGINAL NAME

+Quote Post
itsgreylolol
post Oct 10 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #13

DJ Battle This User

Yeah, Setsugekka has owned me a fair few times on [n] when I try and switch. I am getting better, most of what I have problems with now are notes + scratch, especially chords. My hand is used to the scratching motion now, I just need to get my left hand used to hitting chords by itself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
flux
post Oct 10 2007, 09:25 PM
Post #14

Rising in the Sun

I started on the 1P side playing one handed. When I realized that I hated playing one handed and went to switch to two, I moved over to the 2P. No real reason other than to force myself to actually use both hands (so I didn't revert back to using 1 hand mid-song or something).
I'm pretty close to be ambidextrous, so it didn't really affect me much either way. Although from playing one handed, my right hand is stronger at IIDX.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DDRaHolic
post Oct 10 2007, 10:50 PM
Post #15

Tranoid

Lilina, would you mind elaborating on your playstyle? I play 2p and my right hand seems dominant (I've deduced this from my one-hand play and 14keys play), and I'd like to know what you're doing that I'm not. I also just started using an ASC and it seems that my playstyle (where my right hand does index-5, middle-6, and ring-7) is NOT going to work. I can't incorporate my right thumb because it then seems too cluttered. Or, anyone else can tell me too.

--------------------
QUOTE (Marlie Tang @ Jun 3 2011, 09:07 PM) *
ddraholic is so dumb (and is established as being dumb)

+Quote Post
viewtyjoe
post Oct 10 2007, 11:01 PM
Post #16

Dazzlin' Darlin

I play 2p side for a couple of reasons. First, I started on old-school BM, so I have always been more comfortable with turntable on the right. Secondly, I think the first instrument I picked up is piano, so in terms of finger strength, my right hand is a lot more dominant (oddly enough, I write left handed). The whole playing piano thing means that I tend to move my hand around a lot on the KOC, since I have no issues doing shit like 457S with my right hand. The other part is that my left hand is entirely retarded around the turntable, so if I play 1p side, I have to basically one hand everything or my left hand goes crazy. Honestly, the difference in charts hasn't affected me terribly (other than having to mirror Gigadelic [L7] in order to pass it because I can't coordinate my left hand to roll with the scratches at the end).

--------------------
QUOTE(DanAdamKOF @ Jun 22 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]116883[/snapback]
Speaking of Schlagwerk, has anyone noticed there's a pattern now for reviving it? IIDX 18 PURIFIEd CS will have it too.

+Quote Post
Toph
post Oct 11 2007, 09:55 AM
Post #17

No Mayoi No Life

From: *̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌l̡*

QUOTE(Lilina @ Oct 8 2007, 02:09 AM) *
I must be one of the weird people here; I'm right-handed, and I always play on the 2P side.

ya me2

--------------------
溶け出せばどんくらいの世界が spread out?
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1172326

+Quote Post
Twan
post Oct 12 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #18

Tranoid

I'm right handed and played 1P since THE BEGINNING.

I tried 2P once, 5-6-7+S chords were easier with my right hand than 1-2-3+S with my left, but it fucked up everything else.

--------------------
i am a fish, eh doods?

+Quote Post
Brazoliange
post Nov 30 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #19

Candy Galy

QUOTE(Lilina @ Oct 8 2007, 06:09 AM) *

ya me2

--------------------
http://vjarmy.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3967
Help bring IIDX GOLD to Dave & Busters locations around the US!!!

+Quote Post
itsgreylolol
post Dec 1 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #20

DJ Battle This User

gg month bump for that.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th February 2018 - 05:29 AM