Rating 4 V
over there
post Jun 18 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #1

World's Biggest Xythar Fan No Longer

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

So I found avideo of this QMA clone called Quiz Master Absolute that's basically QMA3 without the characters, and I was wondering where I could find it (google doesn't help sad.gif)

Also, I've tried out Taiko Portable 2 on the PSP recently and it's pretty awesome, though not as cool as actually using the drums.

I'm trying out Myst, Ridge Racers 2 (which looks like Ridge Racers with more R4, always a good thing), and Moegaku @ Portable (basically a moetan sim) for PSP soon, so I'll have some opinions on those soon.

DJ MAX 2 Portable is fun, but not as much as I expected it to be.

I'm also looking for some decent PS2 games, I've been looking at RE4 but I'm not sure it's as good as SH2. Any suggestions for good adventure/puzzle/driving games?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post Jun 18 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #2

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

I've been playing Ys games off and on since Feb and I want to talk about boss strategies and such for Ark of Napishtim & Oath in Felghana, but none of the people I currently talk to often have any clue about Ys.

In Napishtim I'm pretty much stuck at Majunun on regular play and Ernst on Time Attack in Nightmare. (Damn Ernst.. he was so easy in every other difficulty that I never developed a proper strategy for him)

In Felghana I always have problems with Chester I & II on Nightmare and Inferno.

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post Jun 18 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #3

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(otaku1313 @ Jun 18 2007, 01:30 PM) *
I'm also looking for some decent PS2 games, I've been looking at RE4 but I'm not sure it's as good as SH2. Any suggestions for good adventure/puzzle/driving games?

Silent Hill 2 is one of the best games ever, and definitely the best survival horror game, in my opinion.

RE4 is NOT, I repeat, NOT a survival horror game, as far as I'm concerned. It's a 3rd person action game with some survival horror elements. It is an excellent game once you get past the point of accepting that it's not a survival horror (this actually turned me off from it originally, as I could hardly stand how different it was from past REs). Honestly, I'd play it - it's well worth the $20. It has a great storyline, a great setting (incredibly - I thought it was going to be boring and stick to a small town the entire time, but it's quite expansive), GREAT gameplay, great replay value, and some very memorable moments. Just don't go into it thinking it's anything like Silent Hill or previous RE games, and you'll be set.

--------------------
QUOTE (IIDX Clock @ Jan 31 2009, 08:21 AM) *
actually, Japan has REALLY high technology.

heck they even have predecessors to HD already

+Quote Post
Eggman of the St...
post Jun 18 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #4

Lost Odyssey Defense Squad

DJ Battle This User

Instead of scaring you with jumping monsters, it keeps you at such a high level of intensity that it wears you out. I'll be picking up RE4Wii this week because I never bought the GC version or PS2 version and I'd like the extras from the PS2 version with real widescreen, as well as the better graphics/load times and the new controls. All signs point to awesome.

I actually picked up FFV Advance again the other day.

Aside from that, I've played a lot of Red Star (amazing beat'em up/bullet hell shooter), finished Tales of the Abyss, got through another stage of Odama (the hardest game ever), and restarted Metroid Prime 1 in preparation for Metroid Prime 3.

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post Jun 18 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #5

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(Eggman @ Jun 18 2007, 01:53 PM) *
got through another stage of Odama (the hardest game ever),

Wow. How far are you? My roommate and I rented it, and between the both of us we couldn't make it further than 5 stages in.

and restarted Metroid Prime 1 in preparation for Metroid Prime 3.

Amazingly, I started my - I believe - 10th Metroid Prime run 2 weeks ago. I'll probably finish it over my semester break (this week).

I still need to go back and beat 2 again...I'm not exactly looking forward to it. Maybe it'll be better this time? sad.gif I'd much rather play Super Metroid again...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eggman of the St...
post Jun 18 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #6

DJ Battle This User

I'm at stage 7 at this point. I was stuck at 4 for the longest time and then broke through and beat it and then beat 5 within 4 tries. 6 took me more than a few dozen attempts.

When I think of Metroid Prime 1 and 2, I actually realize that I liked 2 a lot more. The game just feels more polished, though I'll be damned if that first big open area in Phendrana in 1 isn't absolutely gorgeous even now. The dark areas never seemed to bother me as much as other people.

+Quote Post
One Niceass Indi...
post Jun 18 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #7

they keep referring to me as that

I'm playing Seiken Densetsu 3 right now. I apparently have the worst team ever: Angela, Lise, Hawkeye
YAY

--------------------
It never ends.

You call it a miracle.

Others opt to refer to it by its ORIGINAL NAME

+Quote Post
therealbong
post Jun 18 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #8

Tranoid

ahhhs, good ol "Odama" smile.gif me and my friends beat it. happy.gif We also got copies for like 10 bucks each when Electronics Boutique had it as the game of the day smile.gif.

"Odin Sphere" is apparently an awesome game for the ps2 thats come out recently. I haven't played it much but it looks fucking nice.

"Ico" is a pretty awesome game and fits under the adventure/puzzle category. I'm not sure if you've heard of it, kind of a cult hit game for the PS2. It was made by the same guy who did "Shadow of the Colossus" and although the game play is similar, the goal is much different, and also the fact that the game isn't just 16 boss battles lol.

For portables, I'd just go with 'tetris ds' on endless marathon mode. sad.gif stupid DS running out of batteries when I was at 5000+ lines.

for board games...SETTLERS OF CATAN. I need sheep for my wood...can anyone help me?

I should really finish my run through of "Brandish" for the snes

--------------------
The names Bong, James Bong.

<me and friends after watching the new Batman movie>
"Either you die a slut, or you live long enough to find yourself a single mother."

+Quote Post
grayfox9996
post Jun 18 2007, 04:23 PM
Post #9

Ready for mission.

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(Eggman @ Jun 18 2007, 02:08 PM) *
When I think of Metroid Prime 1 and 2, I actually realize that I liked 2 a lot more. The game just feels more polished, though I'll be damned if that first big open area in Phendrana in 1 isn't absolutely gorgeous even now. The dark areas never seemed to bother me as much as other people.

I didn't like the world design, the new weapons (especially the fact that they used ammo - they really should have just depowered them a bit and made them ammo-less), Dark Samus, the fact that you have to go through the same areas at least twice because of the dark world (more for backtracking, which felt even MORE tedious in that game than in 1 - and sequence breaking made replays of 1 much less backtrack-intensive), the new enemies (especially the bosses - Quadraxis was incredible, but other than that...)...pretty much everything. Actually, getting down to it, I think my biggest problem with the game is the complete focus on combat - they intentionally made the combat portions of the game much more difficult and lengthy than in the previous game. They turned it into more of a shooter than a platforming action/adventure game with some shooting elements. This is what scares me about 3 - they've said that combat is going to be even more prominent, which could make the level design take a back seat to the shooting, which is not what Metroid has been about.

It's not that it's a terrible game or anything, I just enjoy other Metroid games so much more than 2 that every time I start playing it, I wish I'm playing 1 or Super or Zero Mission or Fusion or 3 even (just because it'll be something new - I just hope it's not like 2, where I play it once and never have the urge to play it again).

Honestly, I didn't mind the dark world idea - it was just almost IDENTICAL 99% of the time. Like Retro wanted to rush through the creation process for level design, so they did the dark world idea JUST to save the designers the trouble of designing a world the size of Prime 1 - just let the artists create a few new textures and there you go, the world is "different." It's just sleazy game design to me, especially considering how important the world is to a Metroid game.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deets
post Jun 18 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #10

all jew (about damaging it)

I made it to the 5th strata in Etrian Odyssey today - I said in the puzzle league thread a few weeks ago that I thought it was one of the best games on the DS, and my sentiment hasn't changed much since that time. It's definitely not for everyone, on account of the fact that it's a difficult first-person dungeon crawler where you draw the map yourself on the touchscreen, but damn - the game's economy of design, sense of character and pacing are all wonderful. I would strongly recommend checking it out.

Also! Taito Legends 2, which got a release in the US on the PS2 recently for $20. There are a lot of really excellent games on the disc (Elevator Action Returns, G-Darius, Cameltry, Metal Black, etc.), so it's unfortunate that it doesn't work with my arcade stick, which is missing the two buttons necessary for actually inserting a coin and starting a game. There are also some unfortunate input and slowdown issues in Darius Gaiden, Metal Black and a few other games, but considering that it's $20 and has 40 games on it, it's difficult to argue with value in this case.

+Quote Post
Eggman of the St...
post Jun 18 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #11

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(therealbong @ Jun 18 2007, 04:21 PM) *
"Odin Sphere" is apparently an awesome game for the ps2 thats come out recently. I haven't played it much but it looks fucking nice.

I can attest to its awesomeness. The story parts play out like a play and the fights themselves are wonderful. Characters control differently enough for the game to stay varied and the stories come together in fantastic ways. The soundtrack is also wonderful.

An absolutely wonderful game.

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post Jun 18 2007, 05:04 PM
Post #12

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(Oni+ @ Jun 18 2007, 05:10 PM) *
I'm playing Seiken Densetsu 3 right now. I apparently have the worst team ever: Angela, Lise, Hawkeye

Yeouch.. and I thought my team where Duran was my only healer was bad. Back in January I found a copy of just the SD3 cart for $20 at some used game place in Baltimore, MD. They knocked off another $5 because they overheard me complaining about how they had written "Secret of Mana 2" on the back of the cart with a sharpie. Unfortunately, I really haven't gotten to play it that much. Back in college I had finished all 3 paths on a ROM and wanted to do that on the cart, too.

QUOTE(therealbong @ Jun 18 2007, 05:21 PM) *
for board games...SETTLERS OF CATAN. I need sheep for my wood...can anyone help me?

I've got wood for sheep!

--------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. All right, give me the bomb."

+Quote Post
over there
post Jun 18 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #13

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

My friends have Odin Sphere, and I've played through Ico (very nice game btw). I'll probably check out Odin this weekend and see if I wanna buy it.

Taito Legends 2 is all ready win in my book for G-Darius, I'll see if I can find that as well.

I've been playing a few driving games recently, and there aren't many decent games coming out these days (I don't have an XBOX, so no Forza). Best of the bunch I've played recently is (surprisingly) Test Drive Unlimited for PS2, which I'm sure is better for the 360. It's huge environment and large base of playable cars is good, though it gets quite tedious at times, something I never felt with games such as Gran Turismo or Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. I miss the old days of Need For Speed before the tuners, where you had different classes of cars and couldn't tune a Civic to go against a Lamborghini. Who's gonna fuck up a car that costs over $200k anyways? I'm glad I kept NFS 2 and NFS: High Stakes, though I should have bought the original Hot Pursuit when I had the chance. The recent games just don't measure up in fun factor anymore. Other recent driving games I've played include NFS: Carbon, which is pretty darn bad (looks and plays like the Underground series, which is the bane of NFS), Outrun 2006 for PSP (surprisingly good for a small arcade racer, but I can't exactly call arcade racers "driving" games), Initial D Street Stage for PSP (still the same old D, for better or worse), and Wangan Midnight Tune for PSX (this game is ATROCIOUS, I'm so glad I didn't pay for it :X).

+Quote Post
rmz
post Jun 18 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #14

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(JDM_Deets @ Jun 18 2007, 02:34 PM) *
I made it to the 5th strata in Etrian Odyssey today - I said in the puzzle league thread a few weeks ago that I thought it was one of the best games on the DS, and my sentiment hasn't changed much since that time. It's definitely not for everyone, on account of the fact that it's a difficult first-person dungeon crawler where you draw the map yourself on the touchscreen, but damn - the game's economy of design, sense of character and pacing are all wonderful. I would strongly recommend checking it out.

Enjoy it while you can, because the post-game (6th stratum and post-endgame bosses) is absolutely stupid. The 6th Stratum is nothing but warps and stupid invisible pits, and the new quest bosses are ridiculously hard. I got Wyrm down to about 75% health before he one-shotted everyone in my party sad.gif

But, I did a Skill Point Reset on all of my party members to get them fine-tuned to tackle the extra bosses, but that process makes them each lose 10 levels so I have to grind them back up from 60 to 70. That takes a fair bit of time so I'm taking a small break from that game right now.

+Quote Post
Schlagwerk
post Jun 18 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #15

INCLUSIVE EXUBERANCE

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(otaku1313 @ Jun 18 2007, 06:06 PM) *
I miss the old days of Need For Speed before the tuners, where you had different classes of cars and couldn't tune a Civic to go against a Lamborghini.

Agreed. My favorite was High Stakes for the PC. It had all the tracks from Hot Pursuit 1 as unlockables so it was like 2 games in one. (I think I got that right.. High Stakes was NFSIV and Hot Pursuit was NFSIII, right?)

Anyhow.. PC version hasn't run since I got rid of my Voodoo III. ;P

I played a little Hot Pursuit 2 and Underground 1, but I couldn't get into 'em without real car damage.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deets
post Jun 18 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #16

all jew (about damaging it)

QUOTE(rmz @ Jun 18 2007, 04:19 PM) *
Enjoy it while you can, because the post-game (6th stratum and post-endgame bosses) is absolutely stupid. The 6th Stratum is nothing but warps and stupid invisible pits, and the new quest bosses are ridiculously hard. I got Wyrm down to about 75% health before he one-shotted everyone in my party sad.gif

I didn't really expect anything else from the post-game!

+Quote Post
TheKnightOfNee
post Jun 18 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #17

LOOKIN AT GIRLZ BUTTZ

DJ Battle This User

I just got ahold of Silent Hill 3 recently. I've played 2, but I haven't played the first game. My understanding is that the story of SH3 ties in with that of SH1. Should I play through SH1 before giving SH3 a shot? Or is it such that I'd be fine jumping in to SH3, and the story will explain what I need to know?

I also got Lumines Plus for the PS2 not too long ago. It's fun and exciting in the way Rez is, because the music is manipulated by your playing. It also seems pretty easy as far as puzzle games go. I managed to max out my score, and I still have a couple open spots on the high score list.

--------------------
Twitter: @heyitsRockdan
QUOTE (chickensnack @ Jan 13 2007, 07:11 PM)
The sequel to 2Hot2Eat will be called The Hot and the Eat: Tokyo Drift

+Quote Post
over there
post Jun 18 2007, 06:36 PM
Post #18

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(TheKnightOfNee @ Jun 18 2007, 06:56 PM) *
I just got ahold of Silent Hill 3 recently. I've played 2, but I haven't played the first game. My understanding is that the story of SH3 ties in with that of SH1. Should I play through SH1 before giving SH3 a shot? Or is it such that I'd be fine jumping in to SH3, and the story will explain what I need to know?

I also got Lumines Plus for the PS2 not too long ago. It's fun and exciting in the way Rez is, because the music is manipulated by your playing. It also seems pretty easy as far as puzzle games go. I managed to max out my score, and I still have a couple open spots on the high score list.

Lumines is pretty fun for a while, but can wear on you after about 25 minutes of the continuous mode.

As for Silent Hill, I've played through the first one and the beginning of the third one and noticed no connection. However, I'm sure there is some sort of connection between all the games, just not an obvious (read: same characters or something) one.

+Quote Post
rmz
post Jun 18 2007, 07:26 PM
Post #19

Neophyte

DJ Battle This User

QUOTE(otaku1313 @ Jun 18 2007, 04:36 PM) *
As for Silent Hill, I've played through the first one and the beginning of the third one and noticed no connection. However, I'm sure there is some sort of connection between all the games, just not an obvious (read: same characters or something) one.

No, there is a really obvious connection between SH1 and SH3. REALLY obvious. Heather is actually Cheryl from Silent Hill 1.

I would recommend playing SH1 before SH3, yeah.

+Quote Post
over there
post Jun 18 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #20

DJ Battle This User

View User Page
Pop'n Battle This User

QUOTE(rmz @ Jun 18 2007, 08:26 PM) *
No, there is a really obvious connection between SH1 and SH3. REALLY obvious. Heather is actually Cheryl from Silent Hill 1.

I would recommend playing SH1 before SH3, yeah.

Maybe I didn't get that far in the game o_O I don't particularly like 3 anyways, so I may have not been paying attention lol. Thanks for pointing that out though.

+Quote Post

817 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 02:34 PM